What Was Your Last Impulsive Pen Acquisition?

lgbpinho

Nothing new to report. 

I'm still waiting for a pre-order special edition Gravitas.

• Replies 6.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• inkstainedruth

• A Smug Dill

• Misfit

• essayfaire

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

On 5/28/2022 at 4:58 PM, inkstainedruth said:

My attitude about pens is that I am NOT a "c-worder".  If I don't intend to use the pen, I don't buy it.  The only ones I have that I don't use are ones that I haven't gotten around to getting back into working shape yet (sadly, there are too many of those).  

And yes, I have a Sheaffer Snorkel that I bought at an antique show a few towns down-river from me which still has the nib sticker on it.  And yes, I had the guts checked out (including getting the sac replaced) and yes I have used it (it was inexpensive enough that I could afford to have it fixed and still not go massively overbudget).

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

Ruth, you commented in my intro post when I mentioned my grandmother's Sheaffer snorkel that i inherited. It is how I found this website back in 2009. I joined the forum back then but was actually looking for someone to service my grandmother's pen. I found a person to do it, but unfortunately I can't remember his name. We had a great visit on the phone before I mailed him the pen. Since the pen's service I have only inked it up one time just to test it. It's as wonderful as I remember when it was my grandmother's everyday pen. Of course back then I was using the cheap 'school' cartridge Sheaffers which I still have my last one from the 60s. after the test inking I cleaned the pen and put it away. I prefer to use the cartridge Sheaffers, of which I have about a dozen. I refill the cartridges with a syringe, which works well for me. 
Here is a pic of my grandmother's pen, and the filling instructions that were sent back with the pen when I had it serviced. I'm glad he sent them as I did not know the correct way to fill a snorkel Sheaffer.

CaptJack

SheafferSnorkle_800.jpg

SnorkleInstructions.jpg

I called @DromgoolesHouston I am excited to see my surprise pen. 

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

1 hour ago, amberleadavis said:

I called @DromgoolesHouston I am excited to see my surprise pen. 

Can you imagine how excited it will be to see You?

Finally, a warm, loving home with someone  who cares.

No more grinding and being rubbed abrasively.

(Yeah, I know it's called polishing,

Unless you are on the receiving end...)

Always enough to "drink"

of fine inks!

And sharing beautiful words

With ALL.

ENJOY and Be Well!

😁🙏😁

“Don't put off till tomorrow what you can do today, because if you do it today and like it, you can do again tomorrow!”

1 hour ago, CaptJack said:

_thumb.jpg

30 minutes ago, Gloucesterman said:

Can you imagine how excited it will be to see You?

Finally, a warm, loving home with someone  who cares.

No more grinding and being rubbed abrasively.

(Yeah, I know it's called polishing,

Unless you are on the receiving end...)

Always enough to "drink"

of fine inks!

And sharing beautiful words

With ALL.

ENJOY and Be Well!

😁🙏😁

We will have so  much fun together!

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

I have nothing new to report either.

Other than a bid here and there, that mostly lose, I have become very settled with what I have.

Actually, there is a Kaweco Student I keep going to look at, but haven't bought. Yet.

Will work for pens... :unsure:

Does it count as impulsive if I have had a pen on my bucket list for YEARS?  I just found a new Lamy 2000 with an OBB nib for a price I was willing to pay.

1 minute ago, amberleadavis said:

Does it count as impulsive if I have had a pen on my bucket list for YEARS?  I just found a new Lamy 2000 with an OBB nib for a price I was willing to pay.

I think it depends on how quick you hit the Buy button when you saw it. And if you said to yourself 'That's it!'  or something like that, you get bonus points. ;)

Will work for pens... :unsure:

1 hour ago, AmandaW said:

Actually, there is a Kaweco Student I keep going to look at, but haven't bought. Yet.

There is a handsome Kaweco Student in my house that is being used by my student.  It has become an EDC, so I think it was worth the money even though I thought at the time it was quite a bit of money for someone that age.

Festina lente

Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence

1 hour ago, AmandaW said:

I think it depends on how quick you hit the Buy button when you saw it.

Having something on one's bucket list does not imply having planned to acquire/do that something, or even have realistic expectations for such. Acting on a “Twins, Basil. Twins!” opportunity should it come up surely must count as impulsive, and responding to ‘instinct’ even if it's conditioned by having it on one's bucket list as the case may be, when most would not even think to engineer such an occasion, but would probably question the wisdom or prudence in seizing the unexpected opportunity.

I endeavour to be frank and truthful in what I write, show or otherwise present, when I relate my first-hand experiences that are not independently verifiable; and link to third-party content where I can, when I make a claim or refute a statement of fact in a thread. If there is something you can verify for yourself, I entreat you to do so, and judge for yourself what is right, correct, and valid. I may be wrong, and my position or say-so is no more authoritative and carries no more weight than anyone else's here.

2 hours ago, AmandaW said:

I have nothing new to report either.

Other than a bid here and there, that mostly lose, I have become very settled with what I have.

I have a Kaweco Sport. The best part is the plastic on plastic threads. My Faber Castells get unscrewed all the time, but this plastic pen just won't come loose. So reliable... whatever Kaweco did, they have a magic pen in their hands - eyedropper it, don't put silicone grease, try to unloosen it by hand - nothing releases it. It is like a stuck glass jar. I love it.

6 hours ago, AmandaW said:

I think it depends on how quick you hit the Buy button when you saw it. And if you said to yourself 'That's it!'  or something like that, you get bonus points. ;)

This surprised me a bit, and I'm left baffled: Don't you all hit the BUY!!! button while shouting "Yeahhh, YEAHh, that's it!! Gotcha!!!" 

🥳

Kaweco Sport (Red). Returning to studies again (grad student), and wanted to use pens that I could replace easily if they get ruined by constant use of hand sanitizer. I had luck with Pilot VP, which I used religiously, when teaching this year. 

On 6/12/2022 at 8:03 PM, A Smug Dill said:

Having something on one's bucket list does not imply having planned to acquire/do that something, or even have realistic expectations for such. Acting on a “Twins, Basil. Twins!” opportunity should it come up surely must count as impulsive, and responding to ‘instinct’ even if it's conditioned by having it on one's bucket list as the case may be, when most would not even think to engineer such an occasion, but would probably question the wisdom or prudence in seizing the unexpected opportunity.

That's a nuanced response.  I'm looking forward to the pen and I agree for me it was impulsive.

My last impulse (pen) acquisition was not so much a pen as a pen box - a 100-pen collector's box to house all of my future impulse pen acquisitions!

Co-founded the Netherlands Pen Club. DM me if you would like to know about our meetups and join our Discord!

Currently attempting to collect the history of Diplomat pens.

Dang, the Lamy 2000 OBB arrived and like @OCArt's experience, it has a definite sweet spot but otherwise, it just isn't right.  :( 

A Nassau (1930s) lever filler at an antique shop/flea market for $10. It required a new sac, j-bar, and nib, all of which I had on hand. It felt good to bring another vintage pen back to life!

A lovely Waterman 3V (dark) gray marbled with red bits and a flex nib. So pretty. 

AF5CF1A5-992A-4976-8C7E-FBAC18056CFA.jpeg