What Was Your Last Impulsive Pen Acquisition?

lgbpinho

Ok, this absolutely qualifies as an impulse buy. I was at my usual home site and saw a sales post pop up, but only because the seller did a 'bump' - the original had been listed in January. Holy cow did I love the look of this pen and got in touch immediately. I only have a couple of examples of early MHR (mottled hard rubber) but this one is top class. The pen is by the small French company Edacoto, and likely from the early 1930s. Can't wait until it gets here from Italy!

edacoto_01.jpg

"When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick; and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin

• Replies 6.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• inkstainedruth

• A Smug Dill

• Misfit

• JonSzanto

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

4 hours ago, JonSzanto said:

Ok, this absolutely qualifies as an impulse buy. I was at my usual home site and saw a sales post pop up, but only because the seller did a 'bump' - the original had been listed in January. Holy cow did I love the look of this pen and got in touch immediately. I only have a couple of examples of early MHR (mottled hard rubber) but this one is top class. The pen is by the small French company Edacoto, and likely from the early 1930s. Can't wait until it gets here from Italy!

edacoto_01.jpg

That's an absolutely beautiful pen!! That mottled pattern is fantastic! Looks like it's in excellent shape as well. I have a 50s no-name with an Edacoto nib and, once I finally figured out how to write with it (very flexy!), I love it! I think the nib may be quite a bit earlier than the pen but I don't know enough about them to know for sure. It's the only one I have so far.

May I ask what your 'usual home site' is where this beautiful pen was for sale? Is it in Italy? I found an interesting Italian forum some time ago while researching a Gucci pen, but there was no selling, as far as I could see. I am always keen to know about any European sites with vintage/secondhand pen sales. The German forum has been quite nice for adding to my Diplomat collection (and acquiring other pens as well), but I would love to be able to peruse something with more of the French and Italian names, for example. I love the French JIF-Waterman's Standard and the no-name with Edacoto nib that I have - they are pens I certainly wouldn't mind getting more of! (Not to mention the Gucci that is another favorite.)

Co-founded the Netherlands Pen Club. DM me if you would like to know about our meetups and join our Discord!

Currently attempting to collect the history of Diplomat pens.

5 hours ago, DvdRiet said:

May I ask what your 'usual home site' is where this beautiful pen was for sale? Is it in Italy?

Thank you for the complement on the pen, I'm very much looking forward to it! The pen site is the Fountain Pen Geeks forums. I joined FPN back in 2011 and FPG about 2 years later. I tend to spend most of my time there, smaller place and I've made many friends.

There is a sub-forum for sales and it gets quite a bit of traffic. While not moderated or anything, it has maintained a quite high degree of reputable sales, few problems that I am aware of. This pen was from a seller in Italy whose screen name is Labeo, and he has quite a few continental pens for sale. My first time buying and (I'm in the US) intercontinental sales are always a bit nervous, but my communications have been quick, clear and friendly. A lot of small-time sellers and just pen collectors use it as a place to sell. Just giving you background on how I came upon this pen.

"When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick; and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin

11 minutes ago, JonSzanto said:

Thank you for the complement on the pen, I'm very much looking forward to it! The pen site is the Fountain Pen Geeks forums. I joined FPN back in 2011 and FPG about 2 years later. I tend to spend most of my time there, smaller place and I've made many friends.

There is a sub-forum for sales and it gets quite a bit of traffic. While not moderated or anything, it has maintained a quite high degree of reputable sales, few problems that I am aware of. This pen was from a seller in Italy whose screen name is Labeo, and he has quite a few continental pens for sale. My first time buying and (I'm in the US) intercontinental sales are always a bit nervous, but my communications have been quick, clear and friendly. A lot of small-time sellers and just pen collectors use it as a place to sell. Just giving you background on how I came upon this pen.

Aha, ok, I thought it might be FPG (I've seen you post on there). I just guess inks on there, but I do occasionally read some of the other posts that look interesting. I had looked through the sales categories a while back but nearly everything was in the US. Which is fine for a pen that's harder to find, obviously, but it's just easier and generally cheaper to buy in Europe after shipping etc., especially when it is a European brand, just as it's the other way around for you. Good to know that there are more international sellers on there, though. I will have to start checking it again, because a beauty like this one, well... ;) 

Co-founded the Netherlands Pen Club. DM me if you would like to know about our meetups and join our Discord!

Currently attempting to collect the history of Diplomat pens.

16 hours ago, JonSzanto said:

edacoto_01.jpg

Had you not said "rubber"I would have thought interesting wood grain or treated metal!  Stunning.  I hope it writes as well as it looks! 

Festina lente

Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence

Well, I won't actually get it for a couple of weeks, but put in an offer on a pen I'd been watching on eBay for a while: a Luxor-made Parker Vector in a design called "Time Check" (which has a map of the globe with lines showing time zones).  I'd been wanting one for a while, and had logged onto eBay to look at something else, then spent some time clear out old expired listings for things that had sold.  I had made and offer on another Vector, but didn't like the counter offer, and passed on it.  Then realized that I had been watching a number of listings for the "Time Check" pen, so I looked more carefully at stuff like where the various sellers were located and (more importantly) what their feedback ratings were like.  Then made an offer on the listing where the seller was here in the US AND also had 100% positive feedback.  My first offer was rejected, and I thought the counteroffer pretty bogus; the seller dropped the price a whole whopping 4 CENTS (!) :angry: -- but then I came up a couple of bucks and that offer was accepted.  

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

1 hour ago, inkstainedruth said:

Well, I won't actually get it for a couple of weeks, but put in an offer on a pen I'd been watching on eBay for a while: a Luxor-made Parker Vector in a design called "Time Check" (which has a map of the globe with lines showing time zones).  I'd been wanting one for a while, and had logged onto eBay to look at something else, then spent some time clear out old expired listings for things that had sold.  I had made and offer on another Vector, but didn't like the counter offer, and passed on it.  Then realized that I had been watching a number of listings for the "Time Check" pen, so I looked more carefully at stuff like where the various sellers were located and (more importantly) what their feedback ratings were like.  Then made an offer on the listing where the seller was here in the US AND also had 100% positive feedback.  My first offer was rejected, and I thought the counteroffer pretty bogus; the seller dropped the price a whole whopping 4 CENTS (!) :angry: -- but then I came up a couple of bucks and that offer was accepted.  

Congrats!

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

I found an M400 with a flexy nib!  But it needs repairs.

A Waterman Lady Agatha that needs a top on the sheath.

AND wait for it ----- An M1000 listed as an M800 with a PF nib!!!

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

I splurged on a couple of Platinum pocket pens. One vintage with a fine 18k nib and a little arrow inlaid on the hood. The other a steel nibbed (70s?) white one with green clovers on the cap and barrel. I think that completes my collection of pocket pens: one Sailor, two Platinum and five Pilot. And a space reserved for one I'm particularly keen to find.

Will work for pens... :unsure:

Never mind the Cute Bear pen. Now there's a red Mickey... :o double knock-off? Triple if the hanzi-nib pen colour is as close as it looks on my screen. I don't think I'm that impulsive.

Capture.JPG.6f4ee4373673d7a4bca6c30eedfc7389.JPG

Mickey! 

The Visconti Rembrandt Eclipse impulsively ordered on April 10 finally shipped on April 28. If I’d spent $20+ more, I’d have the preferred nib and pen already. I’d rather have a B than F nib. I let the lower price dictate the F nib. But I do have a Visconti Merry-Go-Round pen that is also a Rembrandt. I can swap nib units. 

Posted Image

Funny huge vintage Japanese eyedropper (on photo: near the Pilot Custom 823). 

CBCA11DE-B29E-4739-94C2-7C072768ABC4.jpeg

8E8B2D10-339B-450C-8383-63AB24BEB6CA.jpeg

2 hours ago, AmandaW said:

Never mind the Cute Bear pen. Now there's a red Mickey... :o double knock-off? Triple if the hanzi-nib pen colour is as close as it looks on my screen. I don't think I'm that impulsive.

Capture.JPG.6f4ee4373673d7a4bca6c30eedfc7389.JPG

If they make a Snoopy version, there would be no hope for me. It would be buy buy buy buy buy.

Posted Image

27 minutes ago, Misfit said:

If they make a Snoopy version, there would be no hope for me. It would be buy buy buy buy buy.

No Snoopy, but how about these? The copy says the blue one is a dog. And only about $2... Complete with erasable ink. I think we paid too much for the Cute Bear impulsiveness. I'm tempted by the rabbit.

Capture.JPG.1f6b8ac00f5aaddacafe9c4d27d80c5f.JPG

The bunny (bunny wunnie is what Snoopy would call it) is cute. I think the bear will do for me. I’ve wished for a brown Safari. So a brown fake Safari will do I suppose. 

I suppose we had to pay more to get the Lamy name.  

Posted Image

9 hours ago, AmandaW said:

I think that completes my collection of pocket pens: one Sailor, two Platinum and five Pilot

Funny, @AmandaW, for vintage pocket pens I found Platinums way easier to find, followed by Pilots, followed at a distance by Sailors. But also Sailors seem to have less choice of ornate pens... 

Hmmm... I spent hours yesterday and today on eBay, looking to buy a Conway Stewart Dinkie. I finally got a 536, after being outbid so many times on other pens that I lost count. I probably overpaid. But the seller was helpful and the pen looked very nice.

I'll let you know how it actually feels and writes when it arrives from the UK; after Brexit, some purchases seem to disappear for over a month inside the Dutch customs. 

In the meantime, I have to figure out how to use a pen much of which is made out of caseine. How do you even ink such a pen?! Or clean it after use?! Or place it in direct light to take pics of?! I'd rather not destroy a pen that survived for twice my lifetime... I'll start reading from tomorrow, but of course suggestions and comments are most welcome. 

15 hours ago, Misfit said:

And if they made a Donald Duck version?  I'd buy it for the friend I gave the Inoxcrom Tin-Tin pen to, after winning it in a PIF a few years ago (she's half Spanish and is a GINORMOUS Tin-Tin fan).  We were in an antiques store in Ohio a couple of years ago and she found a vintage Donald Duck salt & pepper shaker set in one booth and was just in 7th Heaven....

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

Rec'd an email from Ranga about a group buy on a new model called the Abhimanyu Grand, which is another one of their giant pens. Never done the group buy before - only have ordered from their website, which was a delightful and easy process. 

I liked the looks of this one so I ordered one in Crimson Ebonite. I chose a Bock #8 Titanium <BB>, which should be like an enormous paintbrush. Been meaning to try the #8 -- was going to order a Model 5 with one (and still will later, maybe in gold, if I like this nib). 

They also sent a link for a Splendour group buy, so I chose that one in rounded top with  "No. 42 Poinsettia Acrylic". Again the big Bock Ti #8, this time in Medium. 

Maybe the most impulsive pen purchase I have ever made. I wasn't even pen shopping. I literally found the email when I was cleaning out my spam folder. 

unnamed.jpg

IMG_20220307_141650.jpg

While deliberately searching for a particular Hastil on ebay the other day, I came across a slim Targa and impulsively bought it. Turns out it was from Peyton Street Pens. I'm familiar with the name, of course, but don't recall buying from them before. Thanks, Teri.

It's hard work to tell which is Old Harry when everybody's got boots on.