What Was Your Last Impulsive Pen Acquisition?

lgbpinho

12 minutes ago, Paul-in-SF said:

The larger size Deluxe Challenger, yes?

Thanks, Paul. No, this really is the smaller size, but the photos do present it well as full sized! Though a bit diminutive, it is a lovely writer due to another excellent nib. I actually wanted an example of this burgundy/black in a smaller pen, and here it is.

"When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick; and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin

• Replies 6.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• inkstainedruth

• A Smug Dill

• Misfit

• essayfaire

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

3 hours ago, OldTravelingShoe said:

Ahhh, the cute bear got me! (Or I got it, impulsively!) @A Smug Dill started it, @Misfitand @AmandaW chatted me into it, and today AliExpress prodded me once too many times to say no. I said to myself it's for my better half, but she only uses the one pen I got her for her birthday so it's probably not gonna happen. 😁

Now we wait... ETA May 27.

Disclaimer: no bear was harmed in this process. 

Aw, it’s so cool the cute bears will have new homes. Mine has reached the US. I’m not sure when the cuteness will get here. But what ink for the cute bear pen?

Posted Image

I saw an offer the day before yesterday for a brand new Lamy Z 57 nib 14K M for 2/3 of the normal price (MSRP here in Germany is 100€ incl. tax); it now upgrades my Lamy aion black.E7AF5C21-AACF-437B-B725-CB39A22B3087.thumb.jpeg.83dabbabdbd5f5aecfa314fd92e134e7.jpeg

You will be forgiven that you cannot, but never more that you do not want to.

18 hours ago, JonSzanto said:

s-l1600 (4).jpg

s-l1600 (2).jpg

PRETTY!

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

58 minutes ago, Misfit said:

Aw, it’s so cool the cute bears will have new homes. Mine has reached the US. I’m not sure when the cuteness will get here. But what ink for the cute bear pen?

Something from Scribal Workshop in their Bear bottle?

06EE714B-582E-4A9E-8340-98F48FC1E9E0.thumb.jpeg.417fec2b50a5b41abce8097cdac2d566.jpeg

1 hour ago, Misfit said:

But what ink for the cute bear pen?

I was thinking bears might like chocolate (even though it's probably not very good for them), but that only narrowed it down to Diamine Chocolate, Dark Chocolate or Triple Chocolate. Maybe Cacao du Bresil, do bears read French.

Oh hang on, silly me, of course: KWZ Honey!

15 minutes ago, I-am-not-really-here said:

If only it came in a Bear bottle. That is even better.

Will work for pens... :unsure:

6 hours ago, I-am-not-really-here said:

06EE714B-582E-4A9E-8340-98F48FC1E9E0.thumb.jpeg.417fec2b50a5b41abce8097cdac2d566.jpeg

Wow! What a find! I was imaging something punny with *berry inks when I saw the question; little did I guess it was already executed thus!

My bear pens arrived yesterday. Haven't inked either of them up yet. Yeah, Chinese-made knock-offs. Nothing glaringly obvious, but the blurriness on a couple of panels (specifically, the Korean language ones) in the included booklet should have failed German QC, especially for a Korean market facing special edition that wasn't released to be sold cheaply.

I checked one of them, and when the section is screwed fully into the barrel, the 'ink window' holes in the barrel aren't completely clear of the plastic bits of the section. 

I endeavour to be frank and truthful in what I write, show or otherwise present, when I relate my first-hand experiences that are not independently verifiable; and link to third-party content where I can, when I make a claim or refute a statement of fact in a thread. If there is something you can verify for yourself, I entreat you to do so, and judge for yourself what is right, correct, and valid. I may be wrong, and my position or say-so is no more authoritative and carries no more weight than anyone else's here.

8 minutes ago, AmandaW said:

I was thinking bears might like chocolate (even though it's probably not very good for them), but that only narrowed it down to Diamine Chocolate, Dark Chocolate or Triple Chocolate. Maybe Cacao du Bresil, do bears read French.

Buy an empty plastic or glass bear-shaped honey container locally and move the ink in?  The challenge then is finding a 2oz bear, surely not impossible.

Well the problem with that idea is that cleaning an emptied honey container out and then sterilizing it might be a bit of an undertaking.....

edited for typos

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

4 minutes ago, inkstainedruth said:

... cleaning an emptied honey container out and then sterilizing it might be a bit of an undertaking...

Surely boiling water would take care of that, if it is a glass bottle? 

I endeavour to be frank and truthful in what I write, show or otherwise present, when I relate my first-hand experiences that are not independently verifiable; and link to third-party content where I can, when I make a claim or refute a statement of fact in a thread. If there is something you can verify for yourself, I entreat you to do so, and judge for yourself what is right, correct, and valid. I may be wrong, and my position or say-so is no more authoritative and carries no more weight than anyone else's here.

36 minutes ago, inkstainedruth said:

Well the problem with that idea is that cleaning an emptied honey container out and then sterilizing it might be a bit of an undertaking.....

edited for typos

Well that's an option but my suggestion was to buy a bottle that is sold, new, as empty.  Party favor stuff and such.

48 minutes ago, A Smug Dill said:

Surely boiling water would take care of that, if it is a glass bottle? 

Maybe.  But a lot of those small jars (at least here in the US) I think are plastic.  Boiling water could deform the jars, especially the threading on the necks of the bottles.

There is stuff called B-Brite that is used by homebrewers (it's a strong oxidizer) but that has to be rinsed out *very* thoroughly.  And I don't know how how the chemicals in it would react with inks.

ETA: @I-am-not-really-here -- new bottles would certainly be a better option -- although I don't know where to get them (I had enough trouble a few years ago finding inexpensive amber glass Boston rounds with eyedropper tops for decanting vintage ink in large bottles into).  Specialty bottles like that?  I wouldn't even know where to begin to look online for those.

21 minutes ago, inkstainedruth said:

I wouldn't even know where to begin to look online for those.

Etsy.

6 hours ago, JonSzanto said:

Thanks, Paul. No, this really is the smaller size, but the photos do present it well as full sized! Though a bit diminutive, it is a lovely writer due to another excellent nib. I actually wanted an example of this burgundy/black in a smaller pen, and here it is.

I really can't figure out rhyme or reason why they went back and forth on those two clips among the Deluxe and regular Challengers. Doesn't really matter, just something else for me to let go of needing to know. 

9 hours ago, lovechop said:

After my first ever purchase (Pilot Metropolitan), I got the itch.

So....Birmingham Raven Model C had to join me.  Boy, this is a nice, hefty piece of work!  

pen1.jpg

That is a porky pen! But they look really nice. Just out of curiosity, where did they engrave the serial number? It looks so clean, I almost wouldn't want a serial number on mine...

5 hours ago, AmandaW said:

I have Diamine Chocolate, J Herbin Cacao du Bresil, and a sample of KWZ Honey. Since cute bear is, as we expected a knockoff, I won’t be buying an ink especially for the pen. 

Yet in a way, it would be nice to have a more Spring leaning ink in the pen. 

Posted Image

11 hours ago, sirgilbert357 said:

That is a porky pen! But they look really nice. Just out of curiosity, where did they engrave the serial number? It looks so clean, I almost wouldn't want a serial number on mine...

The engraving is just below the cap thread line.  I agree - I would prefer it not be engraved on the barrel, but i still love the pen (still a newb, but learning).  I happen to like heavier pens at the moment.  This rolls in at a whopping 81.136g.

pen engrave.jpg

“Our Creator would never have made such lovely days, and have given us the deep hearts to enjoy them, above and beyond all thought, unless we were meant to be immortal.”

Nathaniel Hawthorne

not a pen.. rather.. new 'flex' nibs.. from fpnibs.com. jowo #5 on a FC Ambition body and #6 on a Retro 51 body

sIMG_0001.thumb.JPG.95b6733cad8674cac7072c5277d73c6a.JPGsIMG_0005.thumb.JPG.ffd14252db60b100dabc4d707f43491c.JPGsIMG_0006.thumb.JPG.37d6bd916ad6f5af895ad67f19edfe95.JPGsIMG_0010.thumb.JPG.397e450a2c7f1763c10a944efded09b9.JPG

16 hours ago, lovechop said:

The engraving is just below the cap thread line.  I agree - I would prefer it not be engraved on the barrel, but i still love the pen (still a newb, but learning).  I happen to like heavier pens at the moment.  This rolls in at a whopping 81.136g.

pen engrave.jpg

I actually don't mind heavy pens. I love my stainless steel Lamy 2000, but it's only something like 54 grams.

If I were Birmingham, I would engrave the serial number on the cap, underneath the clip. It would be hidden, but still visible if one were looking for it.