What Was Your Last Impulsive Pen Acquisition?

lgbpinho

A Kaweco Supra Fireblue with a B nib.

I had been thinking about buying a Liliput or a Supra in Fireblue for years but it somehow had never come to pass.

The last time I went into my favourite stationery shop for a completely different reason, I suddenly saw that they had a Supra on display. I asked them to let me try it and found out it had an M nib. I told them to get me a B and they could count the pen as sold. Their answer was "No problem." So... I am suddenly the proud owner of a Kaweco Supra Fireblue. 🤷‍♀️ Guess that counts.

Oh, shiny...

• Replies 6.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• inkstainedruth

• A Smug Dill

• Misfit

• essayfaire

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

5 minutes ago, carola said:

I had been thinking about buying a Liliput or a Supra in Fireblue for years but it somehow had never come to pass.

The last time I went into my favourite stationery shop for a completely different reason, I suddenly saw that they had a Supra on display. I asked them to let me try it and found out it had an M nib. I told them to get me a B and they could count the pen as sold. Their answer was "No problem." So... I am suddenly the proud owner of a Kaweco Supra Fireblue. 🤷‍♀️ Guess that counts.

Oh, shiny...

Nice-looking pen. I wish they would make the Supra in copper.

Do you like to use it as a pocket pen without the middle extension, or with the middle extension? 

I like to use the Supra with the extension, so I can also use a full-sized converter in the pen.

7 minutes ago, N1003U said:

Nice-looking pen. I wish they would make the Supra in copper.

Do you like to use it as a pocket pen without the middle extension, or with the middle extension? 

I like to use the Supra with the extension, so I can also use a full-sized converter in the pen.

I am planning on using it both ways. I bought a converter with it, so it will get used like that. But it also came with two cartridges (one empty, one filled with blue ink), so I decided to put that blue cartridge in and use it as a Liliput for its first time out. Just because I can. 😁

Galen Leather has a good deal on the Narwhal Key West FPs, so last night I picked up the shiny, shiny Key Largo that comes with one of Galen's leather pen sleeves (not Narwhal's leatherette one) so that and a bottle of Diamine Blue Velvet, even though I already have two additional pens on the way (Tom's Studio Spark FP in Joy with semi-pro flex and spare architect's nibs and a vintage Platinum President from eBay). Ay ay ay.

18 hours ago, DvdRiet said:

Which pen and which ink? ;)

Kaweco Liliput and Kaweco green ink.

8 hours ago, carola said:

Oh, shiny...

Love it! I also like the ring.

8 hours ago, Gangbi44 said:

Galen Leather has a good deal on the Narwhal Key West FPs, so last night I picked up the shiny, shiny Key Largo that comes with one of Galen's leather pen sleeves (not Narwhal's leatherette one) so that and a bottle of Diamine Blue Velvet, even though I already have two additional pens on the way (Tom's Studio Spark FP in Joy with semi-pro flex and spare architect's nibs and a vintage Platinum President from eBay). Ay ay ay.

OOO pretty.

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

1 hour ago, amberleadavis said:

Love it! I also like the ring.

Ditto! I'm glad I'm not the only one to notice. 

12 hours ago, carola said:

Oh, shiny...

I’d love to own that pen!  Congratulations. 

Posted Image

12 hours ago, carola said:

Oh, shiny...

Nice....

I keep looking at the Fireblue Lilliput, but the pricetag (compared to other Lilliput colors) keeps my wallet happy.  That and that I fear it would a cartridge only pen (I've not heard great things about Kaweco converters, especially the small ones).

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

6 hours ago, inkstainedruth said:

Nice....

I keep looking at the Fireblue Lilliput, but the pricetag (compared to other Lilliput colors) keeps my wallet happy.  That and that I fear it would a cartridge only pen (I've not heard great things about Kaweco converters, especially the small ones).

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

The converter I purchased with the Supra is a Kaweco converter, but any standard converter (Pelikan or other) should fit as well. And that´s why I chose the Supra over the Liliput - to have this option. Not being able to fit a decent converter in there was one of the main reasons why I never bought the Liliput.

@amberleadavis @Paul-in-SF @Misfit Thank you very much.

On 2/10/2022 at 12:03 AM, A Smug Dill said:

So it became all too expansive (and expensive!) an endeavour, and I had to abandon it

I understand this all too well. I promised myself I will get one such nib, the Sailor Naginata Fude, if and only if I get an article accepted for publication in our most prestigious venue (for computer scientists, CACM). I have now two such reasons, so we'll see what happens next. 

On 2/10/2022 at 12:03 AM, A Smug Dill said:

:D It's so Dutch!

I/We welcome everyone to try it as well. Sharing is caring 😄

I was going to buy a new pen today (as opposed to buying old ones, which is what I usually do), and ended up buying a completely different one. 

I'll find out next week whether I made the right decision.

I just made said purchase. I saw this pen a month or more ago, then forgot about it until today. 

It took some searching, then linking a credit card with $18 in rewards money to PayPal. Then changing online stores because the first didn’t show the rewards money on PayPal. 

Finally the second online store did show the rewards tab on PayPal. And now, an impulsive, truly naughty order has been placed for a Sailor Pro Gear Slim in red Supernova, with a music nib. It’s my first Sailor pen.  Red was my Papa’s favorite color, so it’s in honor of him. Plus I love all things Space, so yeah, supernova. 

I’ll have to wait on the new Safari pens in Strawberry and Cream for my birthday or Christmas. 

Edit here: Curiously, no notification from PayPal of this purchase. The Fahrney’s email indicates the pen is on back order. Aaugh! I didn’t think US sites let you buy out of stock items. 

Posted Image

Last night, in a stupid moment, I put an impulsive bid on a Sheaffer Fashion (not sure if it's the fat or thin version). Only a low bid  - just $1 above the start price - and now I'm hoping a sniper will come along cos I've noticed it has a medium nib. No amount of White Dot perfect condition can compensate for that. It looked like a fine in the pictures (and no mention in the text). Note to self: do not rely on pics viewed on phone. :glare:

Will work for pens... :unsure:

4 hours ago, Misfit said:

: Curiously, no notification from PayPal of this purchase. The Fahrney’s email indicates the pen is on back order. Aaugh! I didn’t think US sites let you buy out of stock items

Hang on in there.

Unfortunately, it seems to be common practice to list items as 'in stock' without this being true. Seems to happen frequently in Europe. The pen will arrive from Japan, but it will your slowest impulse-buy. 👀

31 minutes ago, OldTravelingShoe said:

Hang on in there.

Unfortunately, it seems to be common practice to list items as 'in stock' without this being true. Seems to happen frequently in Europe. The pen will arrive from Japan, but it will your slowest impulse-buy. 👀

I did have an experience with a European seller that had items to add to the cart. Once bought, the message was those will come in stock in a week to ten days. The items did not arrive in time for an event I’d hoped to have them for. I’m not used to this with US sellers. Usually items are in stock or not. 

I’ll take your advice, thank you for responding. 

Posted Image

5 hours ago, Misfit said:

I didn’t think US sites let you buy out of stock items.

EndlessPens does.

Pen Chalet does, or did, and I'm not sure whether it's only when there are errors in its stock count. The retailer has done that to me more than twice.

Amazon does.

I endeavour to be frank and truthful in what I write, show or otherwise present, when I relate my first-hand experiences that are not independently verifiable; and link to third-party content where I can, when I make a claim or refute a statement of fact in a thread. If there is something you can verify for yourself, I entreat you to do so, and judge for yourself what is right, correct, and valid. I may be wrong, and my position or say-so is no more authoritative and carries no more weight than anyone else's here.

11 minutes ago, A Smug Dill said:

EndlessPens does.

Pen Chalet does, or did, and I'm not sure whether it's only when there are errors in its stock count. The retailer has done that to me more than twice.

Amazon does.

I’ve noticed Pen Chalet will have a notice by an item that reads “special order”.  You can still add it to the cart. When that happened to my order, all the items came in the package delivered fairly quickly.

I don’t shop as often anymore with Endless Pens. I noticed pre-orders, and a new VIP category of pricing.  I’ve only had issues with Amazon on the Global Seller UK.  Otherwise most often on websites, the items are marked out of stock, and have a notify me by email when back in stock. 

In general, with any of my online shopping, if an item goes in the cart it is in stock.

Posted Image