What Was Your Last Impulsive Pen Acquisition?

lgbpinho

9 hours ago, essayfaire said:

Ditto.  I won a Diplomat Aero on Fountain Pen Day 2020, and I really enjoy it.  It is heavier and a broader nib (M) than what I usually use, so now I have a pen that is perfect for my Herbin Vert Atlantide.  It has a really satisfying tight closure and is well balanced.

You won an Aero? Aw, man!! (which color? lol)

Co-founded the Netherlands Pen Club. DM me if you would like to know about our meetups and join our Discord!

Currently attempting to collect the history of Diplomat pens.

• Replies 6.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• inkstainedruth

• A Smug Dill

• Misfit

• JonSzanto

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

It's here already! From the other side of Australia in just two days.

Pilot E95s in Burgundy with a fine nib filled with Iro Tsukushi.

large.pilot_e95s.jpg.b835a247c68bd3142f4e75a79883b06a.jpg

Will work for pens... :unsure:

5 minutes ago, AmandaW said:

It's here already! From the other side of Australia in just two days.

Pilot E95s in Burgundy with a fine nib filled with Iro Tsukushi.

large.pilot_e95s.jpg.b835a247c68bd3142f4e75a79883b06a.jpg

Nice! That fingernail nib does look very good. (They are definitely growing on me, haha!)

Co-founded the Netherlands Pen Club. DM me if you would like to know about our meetups and join our Discord!

5 minutes ago, DvdRiet said:

That fingernail nib does look very good. (They are definitely growing on me, haha!)

:lticaptd:

On 12/14/2021 at 8:08 AM, Chimera01 said:

Have been thinking about Pelikan for months now and yesterday rather impulsively took the plunge (pun intended) with a black M1000 with a Fine nib. Now if only I knew how to drive this thing 🤣

Pelikan M1000 F.jpeg

Gorgeous! Hope you're enjoying it :)

Seeing this post has made me anxious to get my green stripe broad in from Appelboom once it ships (was told 4-6 weeks back in mid November), but I will continue to be a patient lass 😌

8 hours ago, DvdRiet said:

Oh, also good to know! This was another nib option besides the fude that I have been considering for a while (rather than finding one from the hit-or-miss hunt on the bay, etc). Would love to see a writing sample!  

This is so unfair to this nib... First check out the fpnibs page, as they know how to write with it.

Below is a very crude attempt by me. The writing is not flex writing, the figure of 8 is an attempt to demonstrate a bit better what can be done. Snap back is decent, I think.

Softness of the nib: by comparison my SCRIBO EF Flex nib requires far more pressure and produces less variation; the SCRIBO requires a conscious effort (not much of an effort) to flex, whilst the FP Nibs full-flex requires constant attention not to flex. So it will take a while before I can really start writing with it. I based my expectations on other steel flex nibs (FPR, Stipula), so I'm quite blown away.

I like a bit of a challenge, otherwise I would have regretted not going for the semi-flex here.

img_1116_2.jpg

20 minutes ago, Geert Jan said:

This is so unfair to this nib... First check out the fpnibs page, as they know how to write with it.

Below is a very crude attempt by me. The writing is not flex writing, the figure of 8 is an attempt to demonstrate a bit better what can be done. Snap back is decent, I think.

Softness of the nib: by comparison my SCRIBO EF Flex nib requires far more pressure and produces less variation; the SCRIBO requires a conscious effort (not much of an effort) to flex, whilst the FP Nibs full-flex requires constant attention not to flex. So it will take a while before I can really start writing with it. I based my expectations on other steel flex nibs (FPR, Stipula), so I'm quite blown away.

I like a bit of a challenge, otherwise I would have regretted not going for the semi-flex here.

img_1116_2.jpg

Haha, no worries! You should have seen my first attempt at writing with a pen that flexes at the drop of a hat! All over the place! (I'm still not much better at it...)

This does look like it might be a lot of fun. It looks very good in those figure 8s, like it's got quite a bit of flex built in... hmmm.... temptations! En bedankt éh... I wasn't planning on buying any more pens for a while! 😉

After posting in the "3 sucky things" thread I felt the need for a little retail comfort.  And that's my only excuse for an impulsive buying decision, although I've wanted to try a Scribo for a while.  This was despatched just 45 minutes after I ordered it:

image.thumb.png.52c8b290809d7dedd6305b2ded5ba053.png

It's the Write Here SCRIBO Tropea and mine will have the 18ct broad nib.  Image from the Write Here website.

Maybe I'll be strong-willed enough to put it (unopened) under the tree 😄.

2 hours ago, christam said:

Maybe I'll be strong-willed enough to put it (unopened) under the tree 😄.

That's not fair. Retail therapy is to be enjoyed the very moment it lands otherwise you have to start over. :rolleyes:

Watching the tracking is important  too.

Pretty pen!

3 minutes ago, AmandaW said:

Retail therapy is to be enjoyed the very moment it lands otherwise you have to start over. :rolleyes:

And, when ordering from, um, certain well-known retailers in these circles who have the reputation/ habit of not fulfilling accepted orders for weeks or even months after, sometimes the customer ends up buying (and receiving!) tens of pens from elsewhere in the meantime to fill that emotional void!

I endeavour to be frank and truthful in what I write, show or otherwise present, when I relate my first-hand experiences that are not independently verifiable; and link to third-party content where I can, when I make a claim or refute a statement of fact in a thread. If there is something you can verify for yourself, I entreat you to do so, and judge for yourself what is right, correct, and valid. I may be wrong, and my position or say-so is no more authoritative and carries no more weight than anyone else's here.

7 minutes ago, A Smug Dill said:

And, when ordering from, um, certain well-known retailers in these circles who have the reputation/ habit of not fulfilling accepted orders for weeks or even months after, sometimes the customer ends up buying (and receiving!) tens of pens from elsewhere in the meantime to fill that emotional void!

Sounds like the marshmallow test for kids except, as adults, you get to eat all the marshmallows in the bag and then, after waiting the designated amount of time you go back and eat the original marshmallow!

I think it was supposed to demonstrate the benefit(s) of delayed gratification, or, in this case, not!

“Don't put off till tomorrow what you can do today, because if you do it today and like it, you can do again tomorrow!”

1 hour ago, AmandaW said:

That's not fair. Retail therapy is to be enjoyed the very moment it lands otherwise you have to start over. :rolleyes:

Watching the tracking is important  too.

Pretty pen!

Thank you, and thank you for making me giggle too 😆. Your point is of course completely valid …… 

I’m totally with you as regards tracking too but this one’s been sent via a service that updates tracking just once - after the package has been delivered!  Someone at Royal Mail might see the point of that but I’m not sure (m)any of their customers do. 

16 hours ago, DvdRiet said:

You won an Aero? Aw, man!! (which color? lol)

Green.  That's why it pairs so well with the Herbin.  

The funny thing is shortly before I won this pen, I decided that I needed to have a green pen as I didn't have one so I bought a Kaweco Sport in Dark Green.  The Aero is much nicer. I ended up getting the Kaweco tuned.

Festina lente

Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence

On 12/16/2021 at 10:02 AM, carola said:

I bet you´ll like it. I´ve got an orange one and I am still struggling with myself whether I will get a Factory model one day or not.

Which colour did you choose? Gold nib or steel nib?

steel nib, Broad in the orange that I've admired for several months now - may I compliment you on your excellent taste in pens ? !!! 

2 hours ago, mountainbirch said:

steel nib, Broad in the orange that I've admired for several months now - may I compliment you on your excellent taste in pens ? !!! 

Well, thank you! We seem to share the same taste here. 😉

BENU Talisman Mistletoe Limited edition Fountain Pen

Researched it today, purchased it today before it disappears.

On 12/17/2021 at 12:31 AM, AmandaW said:

I love mine - especially for drawing. The variety of lines from a fude nib make it a very versatile thing. Lots of fun.

I’m sure it will be a fun ride.

If I start using it for sketching, then I’m afraid I’ll need a few more to keep different colours inked up. 🙃

But I might try another body, like a Hong Dian or a BAOER 388.

On 12/16/2021 at 10:31 PM, Detman101 said:

Nice! I don't know how to use one of those nibs either...but always nice to see some FP-handwriting!

On 12/16/2021 at 10:34 PM, DvdRiet said:

That looks pretty good already, for day 1!

Thanks 

On 12/17/2021 at 8:39 PM, Geert Jan said:

Looks a lot better than my first attempt with a Zero G nib. Now damaged beyond repair from a nose dive.  I get to work on the fude, before I try another one of those.