What Was Your Last Impulsive Pen Acquisition?

lgbpinho

I wanted one of the Pilot pens with a fingernail nib and have been struggling with making a decision over the three options: a new E95s, a very pretty NOS 70s Elite or a secondhand E. I had all three open in different tabs several times over the past week!

This morning I decided: no more, and in a snap, ordered the new one in burgundy with a fine nib. If I have to worry, as I often do, about getting a new pen that writes, maybe I'm just not cut out to be looking at anything older. It's done.

Will work for pens... :unsure:

• Replies 6.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• inkstainedruth

• A Smug Dill

• Misfit

• JonSzanto

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

47 minutes ago, AmandaW said:

This morning I decided: no more, and in a snap, ordered the new one in burgundy with a fine nib.

I'm surprised to see you didn't go for the EF nib instead.

I endeavour to be frank and truthful in what I write, show or otherwise present, when I relate my first-hand experiences that are not independently verifiable; and link to third-party content where I can, when I make a claim or refute a statement of fact in a thread. If there is something you can verify for yourself, I entreat you to do so, and judge for yourself what is right, correct, and valid. I may be wrong, and my position or say-so is no more authoritative and carries no more weight than anyone else's here.

12 minutes ago, A Smug Dill said:

I'm surprised to see you didn't go for the EF nib instead.

If I love it I'm intending to get the black with an EF next. :D

Edit to add: I'm not sure about the E95s' ability to seal and thought the fine would be a bit wetter and less prone to drying out. That logic may be flawed, but it's what I came up with in lieu of experience or wise comment from others!

11 hours ago, AmandaW said:

If I love it I'm intending to get the black with an EF next. :D

Edit to add: I'm not sure about the E95s' ability to seal and thought the fine would be a bit wetter and less prone to drying out. That logic may be flawed, but it's what I came up with in lieu of experience or wise comment from others!

I had a new 95 in burgundy and a 70s steel elite.  No problem with sealing on either one and there is something satisfying about sliding the cap on and off Japanese long/ short pens.

the Danitrio Fellowship

This Jinhao sent with 'Jink' (Jinhao blue ink in a bottle reminiscent of the teeny Iro bottles).  The pen colors closely emulate some of the Lamy Safari 'Easter Egg' LE pens.  The EF nibs have a little feedback but they're BETTER overall than the last 3 Safaris I bought.  

spacer.png

My latest ebook.   And not just for Halloween!

My other pen is a Montblanc.

Finally acquired a properly working Flexy-Oblique.
I should have just gone to Kirk from the start...
He made exactly what I wanted RIGHT on the first try...the guy is just AWE-SOME!!

Penrealm - Flexy Stub-1.jpg

Penrealm - Flexy Stub-2.jpg

Eat The Rich_SIG.jpg

just picked up a diplomat aero from Pen Chalet.  Wasn't planning to spend that kind of $$, but a sale is a sale, and .... well, I've wanted one for a while now.... 

18 hours ago, mountainbirch said:

just picked up a diplomat aero from Pen Chalet.  Wasn't planning to spend that kind of $$, but a sale is a sale, and .... well, I've wanted one for a while now.... 

I bet you´ll like it. I´ve got an orange one and I am still struggling with myself whether I will get a Factory model one day or not.

Which colour did you choose? Gold nib or steel nib?

EDIT:

Dang it. I just ordered that Diplomat Aero Factory with a steel B nib from Appelboom. 🤷‍♀️ (The orange one got a gold nib, wanted to test the steel nib, too.)

Okay price, shipping included, why wait and think any longer...

Jinhao x450 with a 1mm fude nib.  I’ve been curious for a while about the how and why of fude nibs, so while cogitating over some shimmer and shading inks that just haven’t cut with my F and M nibs, I jumped in to order one. It arrived on Tuesday, and tonight I had the opportunity to take the first step in this experimental journey with a new ink Pilot kiri-same.

m not sure I like my first results, but … it’s only day one.

751880A5-CA99-4327-9D13-0C77A0B22B7D.jpeg

2 hours ago, carola said:

I bet you´ll like it. I´ve got an orange one and I am still struggling with myself whether I will get a Factory model one day or not.

Which colour did you choose? Gold nib or steel nib?

EDIT:

Dang it. I just ordered that Diplomat Aero Factory with a steel B nib from Appelboom. 🤷‍♀️ (The orange one got a gold nib, wanted to test the steel nib, too.)

Okay price, shipping included, why wait and think any longer...

When you get the Factory, I would love to know how you like it. I'm trying to decide which 'regular' Aero to get (used an FPD discount for a LE Volute w/gold nib already) but I'm still undecided. I really like the pared back look of the Factory, though. 

Co-founded the Netherlands Pen Club. DM me if you would like to know about our meetups and join our Discord!

Currently attempting to collect the history of Diplomat pens.

1 hour ago, NgunnawalJack said:

Jinhao x450 with a 1mm fude nib.  I’ve been curious for a while about the how and why of fude nibs, so while cogitating over some shimmer and shading inks that just haven’t cut with my F and M nibs, I jumped in to order one. It arrived on Tuesday, and tonight I had the opportunity to take the first step in this experimental journey with a new ink Pilot kiri-same.

Nice! I don't know how to use one of those nibs either...but always nice to see some FP-handwriting!

Eat The Rich_SIG.jpg

1 hour ago, NgunnawalJack said:

Been curious for a while myself but haven't taken the plunge yet. (Big factor is that there are not a lot of options around these parts.) That looks pretty good already, for day 1!

Co-founded the Netherlands Pen Club. DM me if you would like to know about our meetups and join our Discord!

FP Nibs Marbella with a #5 full-flex nib (or is it the other way round: nib first and pen just as a nib holder?). Flexes easily, though you're supposed not to go any further than a 1.5 mm tines opening. They were certainly right: the nib is very soft indeed, requires hardly any pressure to start flexing.

Downside: I now have to learn how to write with this nib, no pressure at all during side and upstrokes and only on downstrokes. This will take more than a few days or weeks of practice to become a daily writer, but I will certainly try.

32 minutes ago, DvdRiet said:

When you get the Factory, I would love to know how you like it. I'm trying to decide which 'regular' Aero to get (used an FPD discount for a LE Volute w/gold nib already) but I'm still undecided. I really like the pared back look of the Factory, though. 

I can already tell you. A friend of mine got the Factory (also with a steel B nib) at the same time I got my orange Aero with the golden B nib. The Factory is a beauty AND it makes a gorgeous pair with the orange one. Of course we also swapped pens, so I don´t go into the purchase of the Factory unprepared. I liked pen and nib a lot but I didn´t write all that much with it. Will be fun to compare the two nibs during a longer period of time. Also, I had the possibility to see how the Factory would look like with a steel nib and a gold nib, and in my opinion the steel nib suits it better.

Just received a Lamy 99e with an OB nib. It seems to be a sweet little pen. I have no other Lamys; I had a Lamy 2K but decided it was not for me due to the slippery section.

1 hour ago, carola said:

The Factory is a beauty AND it makes a gorgeous pair with the orange one.

I can imagine that, yes. I'm thinking the Factory might also look awfully good in the case next to the black & white Volute... but then the orange one might also... or the matte black... or... ;) 

2 hours ago, NgunnawalJack said:

Jinhao x450 with a 1mm fude nib.  I’ve been curious for a while about the how and why of fude nibs... not sure I like my first results

I love mine - especially for drawing. The variety of lines from a fude nib make it a very versatile thing. Lots of fun.

59 minutes ago, DvdRiet said:

I can imagine that, yes. I'm thinking the Factory might also look awfully good in the case next to the black & white Volute... but then the orange one might also... or the matte black... or... ;) 

Believe me, I had EXACTLY the same problem when I tried to make a colour decision for my first Diplomat Aero. And by then, there were a lot less colours available. But the orange one stood out. It was the first brightly coloured Aero (and it still is the only one of them I really like), all the others were white (or was it matte silver?) and brown and black and silver. Every time I had looked at the other colours I returned to the orange one, thinking "nice... nice... nice... but hell yeah, this one is the best!" And then I had both of them, the orange one and the Factory, lying before me and the only thought left was "How could I NOT have seen this? They are a pair! They need to be together!" But alas, money was needed elsewhere and the Factory had to wait. Until now.

As for the Volute, I would probably match it with the matte black. No, wait, with the Factory. Umm... the orange one? Oh my... 🙈

6 hours ago, carola said:

I bet you´ll like it

Ditto.  I won a Diplomat Aero on Fountain Pen Day 2020, and I really enjoy it.  It is heavier and a broader nib (M) than what I usually use, so now I have a pen that is perfect for my Herbin Vert Atlantide.  It has a really satisfying tight closure and is well balanced.

Festina lente

Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence

12 hours ago, Geert Jan said:

FP Nibs Marbella with a #5 full-flex nib (or is it the other way round: nib first and pen just as a nib holder?). Flexes easily, though you're supposed not to go any further than a 1.5 mm tines opening. They were certainly right: the nib is very soft indeed, requires hardly any pressure to start flexing.

Downside: I now have to learn how to write with this nib, no pressure at all during side and upstrokes and only on downstrokes. This will take more than a few days or weeks of practice to become a daily writer, but I will certainly try.

Oh, also good to know! This was another nib option besides the fude that I have been considering for a while (rather than finding one from the hit-or-miss hunt on the bay, etc). Would love to see a writing sample!