What Was Your Last Impulsive Pen Acquisition?

lgbpinho

4 minutes ago, Sybarite said:

Only because my collection includes the rollerball and pencil and I thought it would be rude not to include the fountain pen.

Besides - having the others makes it easier to smuggle past my wife! 
646CEC19-F62F-4578-8354-A5D286FC5D36.thumb.jpeg.1a607775eb61a21f64c5f660f82cb4f6.jpeg

Whoa, what is that?

• Replies 6.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• inkstainedruth

• A Smug Dill

• Misfit

• essayfaire

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

7 minutes ago, NumberSix said:

Whoa, what is that?

I know. I'm quite besotted! 

Porsche Design tec flex gold and silver

3 minutes ago, Sybarite said:

I know. I'm quite besotted! 

Porsche Design tec flex gold and silver

Fun :)

22 minutes ago, Sybarite said:

having the others makes it easier to smuggle past my wife! 

LOL!  Yeah, good luck with that.

38 minutes ago, ParramattaPaul said:

LOL!  Yeah, good luck with that.

🥵

A moment of weakness just got me a Geha 725 Goldschwinge, which I'm pretty excited about. I have a number of lesser Gehas (mainly school pens) and love them, so I'm hoping this one will be as nice as it looks. I'll take some pictures when it arrives.

9 hours ago, NumberSix said:

Something being changed about the Goulet Jowo nibs?

Yes. You can see pics on their website if you search their replacement nibs, but the scrollwork has been eliminated from the nib. I like it much better plain. Honestly, I wish they offered nibs without their logo too...

4 hours ago, sirgilbert357 said:

Yes. You can see pics on their website if you search their replacement nibs, but the scrollwork has been eliminated from the nib. I like it much better plain. Honestly, I wish they offered nibs without their logo too...

Surely there are sources for plain Jowo nibs, right? Very few retailers have them 'branded' with a laser logo.

"When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick; and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin

57 minutes ago, JonSzanto said:

Surely there are sources for plain Jowo nibs, right? Very few retailers have them 'branded' with a laser logo.

I'm sure there are, but I was being lazy. I was probably going to order other things from them too, and figured I might as well add the two nibs in with the order.

I need one gold plated steel nib and one stainless. I'd prefer to order in USD to avoid currency conversion fees. I might look around and see if I can source them somewhere else. 

Three Pelikan Jazz Elegance (all in white, because it's the only colour available at present from the retailer in question), because I was trying to pad an order for free international shipping eligibility, and a 3-for-2 offer applies to the product.

Eighteen Platinum Preppy pens, all with 02 (which is supposedly Extra Fine) nibs, for effectively A$3.67 (or US$2.71) each. Ten to house the ten R&K SketchINK inks — which, being pigment inks, are particularly unsuitable for being used in Monami Penna or Daiso Air-Seal fountain pens (all having snap-caps fitted with spring-loaded inner caps), because their ink feed mechanism has a fibrous wick — and five to prospectively be donors of EF nibs to my five Platinum Prefounte pens, leaving three spares which will probably end up being filled with Platinum Carbon Black, Sailor Souboku, and Sailor Seiboku (or alternatively, Platinum Carbon Black, Sailor Kiwaguro, and Hero 234 carbon black) pigment inks.

And a whole lot of Sakura Pigma Micron (not fountain) pens.

6 hours ago, sirgilbert357 said:

Honestly, I wish they offered nibs without their logo too...

But why would Goulet Pens do that, especially if you specifically want to buy Goulet JoWo nibs and not just some generic JoWo nibs source elsewhere, on the premise that Goulet doesn't just receive garden-variety JoWo nibs straight from JoWo's factory and then on-sell them, but performs some physical value-adding work to the nibs as the middle man? Surely if it's adding value, then you'd expect them to brand its handiwork so that anyone can identify such nibs, irrespective of how aesthetically pleasing (or disagreeable) the branding or scrollwork is.

Approaching the idea another way, would you elect/offer to pay Goulet extra again just to not add its branding to nibs that it has worked on, and trade off any potential benefit the company would get by having those nibs identifiable by anyone who sees your pens?

I endeavour to be frank and truthful in what I write, show or otherwise present, when I relate my first-hand experiences that are not independently verifiable; and link to third-party content where I can, when I make a claim or refute a statement of fact in a thread. If there is something you can verify for yourself, I entreat you to do so, and judge for yourself what is right, correct, and valid. I may be wrong, and my position or say-so is no more authoritative and carries no more weight than anyone else's here.

I was ordering the "Parker 51" book earlier today from Andy's Pens in the UK.

I decided it wouldn't be right to not also order that lovely black Aero 51 he also had on offer. Because reasons? 🤓

2 hours ago, NumberSix said:

Because reasons? 🤓

A matched set.

7 hours ago, A Smug Dill said:

Three Pelikan Jazz Elegance (all in white, because it's the only colour available at present from the retailer in question), because I was trying to pad an order for free international shipping eligibility, and a 3-for-2 offer applies to the product.

Eighteen Platinum Preppy pens, all with 02 (which is supposedly Extra Fine) nibs, for effectively A$3.67 (or US$2.71) each. Ten to house the ten R&K SketchINK inks — which, being pigment inks, are particularly unsuitable for being used in Monami Penna or Daiso Air-Seal fountain pens (all having snap-caps fitted with spring-loaded inner caps), because their ink feed mechanism has a fibrous wick — and five to prospectively be donors of EF nibs to my five Platinum Prefounte pens, leaving three spares which will probably end up being filled with Platinum Carbon Black, Sailor Souboku, and Sailor Seiboku (or alternatively, Platinum Carbon Black, Sailor Kiwaguro, and Hero 234 carbon black) pigment inks.

And a whole lot of Sakura Pigma Micron (not fountain) pens.

But why would Goulet Pens do that, especially if you specifically want to buy Goulet JoWo nibs and not just some generic JoWo nibs source elsewhere, on the premise that Goulet doesn't just receive garden-variety JoWo nibs straight from JoWo's factory and then on-sell them, but performs some physical value-adding work to the nibs as the middle man? Surely if it's adding value, then you'd expect them to brand its handiwork so that anyone can identify such nibs, irrespective of how aesthetically pleasing (or disagreeable) the branding or scrollwork is.

Approaching the idea another way, would you elect/offer to pay Goulet extra again just to not add its branding to nibs that it has worked on, and trade off any potential benefit the company would get by having those nibs identifiable by anyone who sees your pens?

They are under no obligation to do so, and I didn't say they were. I just wish they would. Business justifications for carrying the nibs in that format could be the same as any other vendor carrying the nibs in that format. A plain nib without their logo might sell when one with it wouldn't (buyer preference); they could sell the nibs side by side for the same prices, while theoretically paying less on wholesale for the plain nibs because they weren't customized; more options are better than fewer, etc. I don't run their business, I don't know why they would or would not do such a thing. I just need to place an order from them for other stuff and the nibs would put me over the threshold for free shipping AND be convenient. That desire alone is all that drove the comment.

I have never heard that Goulet do anything at all to their nibs, nor have I heard that they specify any customization other than just adding their logo to the nib. I don't know of any value-add at all and I have never bought said nibs with any expectation that they are anything other than a convenient way to get bog standard loose Jowo nibs (I rarely want or need the feed and collar that other replacement Jowo nibs come with, so a loose nib is often preferable to me, thus I will pay Goulet's asking price).

I'm in no rush for the nibs. The pens won't even arrive till sometime between August 6th and the 20th. If they aren't in stock by then, I MIGHT look elsewhere for the same nibs, with or without branding. It isn't that big of a deal.

3 minutes ago, sirgilbert357 said:

I have never heard that Goulet do anything at all to their nibs, nor have I heard that they specify any customization other than just adding their logo to the nib. I don't know of any value-add at all

I remember glancing at this thread a long time ago, but since nothing to do with Goulet interests me (other than directing others to look at the Nib Nook from time to time, for their benefit and not mine), I haven't looked any further into it. Nevertheless, so often I see people in this forum specifically referring to Goulet nibs, as what they have or what they want to buy, that I figured there must be some particular value-add other than being a US-based retailer of a JoWo (i.e. not of US manufacture or American brand name) product. I could well be wrong.

I endeavour to be frank and truthful in what I write, show or otherwise present, when I relate my first-hand experiences that are not independently verifiable; and link to third-party content where I can, when I make a claim or refute a statement of fact in a thread. If there is something you can verify for yourself, I entreat you to do so, and judge for yourself what is right, correct, and valid. I may be wrong, and my position or say-so is no more authoritative and carries no more weight than anyone else's here.

When ordering a M205 blue marble this morning (to replace the Teal I'd returned), I threw in one of those little J. Herbin fountain pens. Always wanted to try one, I'll see how it stacks up against a Sport.

It's hard work to tell which is Old Harry when everybody's got boots on.

1 hour ago, A Smug Dill said:

I remember glancing at this thread a long time ago, but since nothing to do with Goulet interests me (other than directing others to look at the Nib Nook from time to time, for their benefit and not mine), I haven't looked any further into it. Nevertheless, so often I see people in this forum specifically referring to Goulet nibs, as what they have or what they want to buy, that I figured there must be some particular value-add other than being a US-based retailer of a JoWo (i.e. not of US manufacture or American brand name) product. I could well be wrong.

As you say, I could be well wrong also. However, I think it is a fairly simple equation: Goulet were the first in the 'new generation' market of pen interest, and a lot of very new people, who honestly don't know any better, think that is just THE place to go. It's all fine, but you do get people buying a basic Jowo nib there that is no different save for a bright-light-burned logo engraving. I have *never* heard of them doing extra tuning or the nibs being the "pick of the litter" from the factory. It is name/brand recognition and not much more, that pulls in people who don't know enough to do much looking around. Naturally, we see it most here in the US as this is where they are based. On balance, they have done an awful lot for the pen community, and I made some of my initial purchases from them when they were very newly formed. These days, my needs are met in other arenas, mostly because vintage.

"When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick; and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin

2 hours ago, sirgilbert357 said:

............... A plain nib without their logo.........................

There is no nib without a logo. The logo is imprinted at a very early status of production, before the nib carries the tip, has the middle slit, the breather hole AND the round shape. Each additional imprint on a readymade nib would destroy it.

It is far more expensive for the fountain pen maker to grind or regrind nibs from Bock or Jowo or any other, than to visit his nib maker and tell him which nib he wants. This is the normal trade.

5 minutes ago, Kaweco said:

There is no nib without a logo

I have several Bock nibs without logo. If you click on the link I posted you'll see examples of Jowo nibs without logo.

Both of these nib making companies manufacture to pen makers specification.

11 hours ago, Karmachanic said:

Add lightness and simplicate.