What Was Your Last Impulsive Pen Acquisition?

lgbpinho

I have a replacement barrel for one of my 45 Flighters on it's way from Five Star Pens. When I got it, the tail piece was missing. As a result that one doesn't get used as much as it probably should. I expect it to arrive tomorrow. Nearly purchased the Petrol Al Star. Still might

Brad

"Words are, of course, the most powerful drug used by mankind" - Rudyard Kipling
"None of us can have as many virtues as the fountain-pen, or half its cussedness; but we can try." - Mark Twain

• Replies 6.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• inkstainedruth

• A Smug Dill

• Misfit

• essayfaire

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

6 hours ago, Misfit said:

@JonSzanto Oh excellent, more vintage Moore pens and desk sets for your collection. They certainly made lovely pens in those years. What is the base made from, do you know? I just noticed Moore connected the o o in their name on the clip.  

@MisfitThe base is onyx, and the tulip is black celluloid, with a gp-over-brass socket. I'm including below a couple of photos from the vendor site, showing both the lovely onyx I didn't capture, and the still-present Moore label on the bottom. And, yes, they seemed to play around with the name design, including pens that are completely identical except for the orientation of "MOORE" on the clip, sometimes vertical, sometimes facing sideways. And they made a secondary line for Rexall Drug Stores call Belmont, and those clips are identical, too, save for the name!

Moore_base_03.webp

Moore_base_04.webp

"When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick; and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin

@JonSzanto I think it’s so cool to find a vintage set with the sticker on the back. My Sheaffer Desk set has a sticker on its base as well. Mine is likely from the 1970s. I hope I can keep myself from searching for Moore pens.  The ones you’ve shared are beautiful. 

Posted Image

57 minutes ago, Misfit said:

@JonSzanto I think it’s so cool to find a vintage set with the sticker on the back. My Sheaffer Desk set has a sticker on its base as well. Mine is likely from the 1970s. I hope I can keep myself from searching for Moore pens.  The ones you’ve shared are beautiful. 

Thank you so much. I am not going to encourage you either way on your decision to... browse for pen. As I thought I mentions, I found the pen by itself and it was only through the good fortune of a pen friend who saw a matching base for sale online. Even trickier than finding the set together! Labels B Cool, if you are trying to have a mini-focused-collection of something like this.

51 minutes ago, AmandaW said:

I have one as well. 🙂

photo_2022-02-18_09-05-51.thumb.jpg.7885b8040deffecb07b4e61f8e122e8c.jpg

Another label? It's a PARTY!

"When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick; and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin

Since we're on the subject, here's a Parker 51 desk set with sticker intact. A cool thing about the base is that the 'tulip' can be adjusted to any orientation: the brass plate on the base has a magnet attached under it and, where the ball of the tulip rests, there's a hole in the brass plate where the magnet is exposed. 

spacer.png

spacer.png

My pens for sale: https://www.facebook.com/jaiyen.pens  

7 hours ago, JonSzanto said:

@MisfitThe base is onyx, and the tulip is black celluloid, with a gp-over-brass socket. I'm including below a couple of photos from the vendor site, showing both the lovely onyx I didn't capture, and the still-present Moore label on the bottom. And, yes, they seemed to play around with the name design, including pens that are completely identical except for the orientation of "MOORE" on the clip, sometimes vertical, sometimes facing sideways. And they made a secondary line for Rexall Drug Stores call Belmont, and those clips are identical, too, save for the name!

Moore_base_03.webp

Moore_base_04.webp

That's really nice, a nice addition to your collection.  I could really use something like that to keep the pen I'm wring with from rolling off the desk when I put it down.... but unlike you guys I don't care about stickers or collectors value, I'm going to use it...

7 hours ago, AmandaW said:

I have one as well. 🙂

photo_2022-02-18_09-05-51.thumb.jpg.7885b8040deffecb07b4e61f8e122e8c.jpg

I have NOTHING ☹️

12 minutes ago, PithyProlix said:

Though I am a big fan of Pilot, I never thought I would buy a Birdie. But when you find one with a Music nib there's really no other choice, is there?

spacer.png

LOOK WHAT YOU HAVE !!!!   GOOD FIND !!  👍

LOOK WHAT YOU HAVE !!!!   GOOD FIND !! 👍

LINK <-- my Ink and Paper tests

2 hours ago, PithyProlix said:

Though I am a big fan of Pilot, I never thought I would buy a Birdie. But when you find one with a Music nib there's really no other choice, is there?

spacer.png

spacer.png

Oh my! That's fab:)

I found a green Sheaffer Fashion II for $8 plus shipping. I only have the TRZ and Fashion I in various shades of blue and matte black, so I bid, with no hurt feelings if I was outbid, but as luck would have it, I just won it this morning. No pictures as the seller pics were out of focus. I’m on my way to my teenage fantasy of having a Fashion for every outfit. 

@PithyProlix, you find the most amazing pens! 

Top 5 of 23 currently inked pens:

Namiki Origami Tradition maki-e Penguin F, Pilot Iroshizuku Ku-Jaku

Sailor X Sakazaki Penguin Pro Gear Slim MF, Sailor Manyo Konagi

Lamy 2000 EF, Diamine Purple Bow

Platinum Hibiscus SF short-long, Platinum Green

Indigo Bronze TWSBI Eco 1.1 Stub, De Atramentis Columbia Blue-Copper 

always looking for penguin fountain pens and stationery 

8 hours ago, USG said:

but unlike you guys I don't care about stickers or collectors value, I'm going to use it...

Oh, me neither. I was only showing mine had a sticker to join in the conversation. What got me was the little dog. :wub:

large.Scottie_dog_stand.jpg.e595fc4d5a6d5a6d31dff6ee650d6d9b.jpg

Will work for pens... :unsure:

@AmandaWNot a desk pen person, but that one with the little dog is cute!  (Of course you do realize that you'll have to call any pen that you use it for "Dorothy" -- because the dog is clearly "Toto".... :rolleyes:

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

48 minutes ago, AmandaW said:

Oh, me neither. I was only showing mine had a sticker to join in the conversation. What got me was the little dog. :wub:

large.Scottie_dog_stand.jpg.e595fc4d5a6d5a6d31dff6ee650d6d9b.jpg

"Who's a good boy?" Sweet.

~ Benjamin Franklin

A couple of c/c Parkers, both of which arrived with converters.  One is a blue model 25 with a fine nib.  I filled it with Noodler's Brown, and I need to post about it in "I Got This Pen Today."  I told my wife I was interested in having one, and she went and found and bought one for me.

And I also told her how I'd lusted after the pearl and black Duofold Centennial from the first time I saw it in the Levenger catalogue in the previous millenium.  She got one for me, figuring that since she'd recently gotten herself a collectible she was anxious for in a similar price range, that I likewise deserved to have an expensive indulgence.  It is stunningly beautiful.

In both cases she was decisive and swift in making her purchases, where I am typically more than willing to waffle and dither for years.

On 2/3/2023 at 8:23 AM, PithyProlix said:

That nib looks amazing.

"The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt."

B. Russell

My second Perfecto, it says 114; piston filler with an ink window.

spacer.png

The colour is a very deep blue.

spacer.png

The trim reminds me of old Diplomat pens; vintage pens with chrome and not gold trim don't seem that common.

spacer.png

I'd long wanted to buy from Wasupen, it paid off as it's in perfect nick and the nib is nice and smooth. Currently trying with Edelstein Mandarin for contrast.

"The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt."

B. Russell

Haven't been here for a while, but I can add something to this topic. I bought a Faber-Castell Ondoro Graphite, with F nib on a whim (and it was on sale, as a display object in the store, no box or anything. WYSIWYG). Had no idea they retailed for EUR100+, got mine for EUR 20. Came with a nice converter as well. Inked it up with my favourite Lamy T53 Azurite.