What Was Your Last Impulsive Pen Acquisition?

lgbpinho

4 hours ago, 77Kalem said:

This week was a bit strange, I decided to sell a few Lamy Safari special editions ( Extra ones I have Dark Lilac and Petrol) it took only 5 hours and both are gone. Very same night I found an 2018 all black from amazon and bought it right away. So collection had a movement. I am hoping to buy either a Lamy 2000 or a Pelikan Souveran ( M400 /M600 )

I'm not at all surprised that the Dark Lilac went that fast.  When I was trying to find the Dark Lilac ink at the Triangle Pen Show, the guy from Crazy Alan's said the Dark Lilac pens were flying off the shelves almost faster than he could restock them.

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

• Replies 6.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• inkstainedruth

• A Smug Dill

• Misfit

• JonSzanto

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

This is for sure an impulsive pen acquisition. I was looking into Pelikans lately, Once go into more details about models, I tought Starting with M2XX 's is better. I have found a M215 rings model and pulled the trigger late night. I will have to wait for the delivery but once its in, I will surely post it here.

On 10/15/2022 at 9:50 AM, inkstainedruth said:

is there a Penman Black?

Yep.  Parker Penman Ebony.  

How saturated is Penman Ebony?  I only have experience with PPS, because someone (kestrel, IIRC) very kindly sent me a couple of cartridges of it a few years ago, just so I could see what it was like.  And I'm wondering now if that's what's in the 61 Flighter....

I've seen very few black inks that are THIS black (besides Old Manhattan, the only other one this saturated and dark was Organic Studios Charles Darwin, and it had the same issues as Old Manhattan -- part of the reason it looked so black was because it was very wet and had a lot of spread).  Whatever is in the 61 is super black, even after being reconstituted/diluted with distilled water.

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

I saw the following pen as a BIN in the UK eBay and decided I needed it. I've grown fond of the Parker pens that were made at the Valentine Pen factory in England, and this is the first Valentine-branded pen I have, circa 1940 or so. The nibs from the Newhaven facility are routinely excellent, and I look forward to its arrival (and posting in a Parker thread when in use!)

Parker Valentine grey-black 01.jpg

"When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick; and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin

26 minutes ago, JonSzanto said:

I saw the following pen as a BIN in the UK eBay and decided I needed it. I've grown fond of the Parker pens that were made at the Valentine Pen factory in England, and this is the first Valentine-branded pen I have, circa 1940 or so. The nibs from the Newhaven facility are routinely excellent, and I look forward to its arrival (and posting in a Parker thread when in use!)

Parker Valentine grey-black 01.jpg

That is a beauty!  Enjoy!

Festina lente

Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence

Kaweco Supra Brass fountain pen. Kaweco is a brand I haven't used or owned, and — because of it's shenanigans to do with Moonman — not one that I look upon favourably or would likely recommend to others to consider. However, this pen is offered at half-price by an Australian stockist at the moment, and shipping is ‘free’; and, with La Couronne du Comte gone (while it did not fulfil my order for a not particularly steeply discounted Kaweco Steel Sport), that sort of offer is getting harder to come by for me.

The Kaweco Supra Brass was something I'd considered ordering from Iguana Sell almost three years ago, as order padding to qualify for free international shipping from Spain on a bunch of discounted Aurora pens, but ultimately passed up in favour of even more steel-nibbed Aurora pens that cost less. So, here I go, to put an end to that piece of “unfinished business”.

I might end up putting a Moonman nib in it…

I endeavour to be frank and truthful in what I write, show or otherwise present, when I relate my first-hand experiences that are not independently verifiable; and link to third-party content where I can, when I make a claim or refute a statement of fact in a thread. If there is something you can verify for yourself, I entreat you to do so, and judge for yourself what is right, correct, and valid. I may be wrong, and my position or say-so is no more authoritative and carries no more weight than anyone else's here.

7 hours ago, essayfaire said:

That is a beauty!  Enjoy!

Thank you! I'll share it again when it arrives, with writing sample.

"When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick; and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin

3 hours ago, A Smug Dill said:

Kaweco Supra Brass fountain pen.

Please, let us know how do you like (or dislike) it. I'm curious.

If you are to be ephemeral, leave a good scent.

17 hours ago, JonSzanto said:

Thank you! I'll share it again when it arrives, with writing sample.

Looking forward to it!

Festina lente

Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence

Impulse buy off eBay last night:

pen1.thumb.jpg.3c49197a78204d07a590b49768759f16.jpg

(Photo snaffled from seller's ad page)

No idea about make, and I'm sure it'll need at least a new sac (it's a button filler), but hopefully I'll be able to get it working and then have some fun with it.

Edit: No I won't. The seller is in Italy and can't post to the UK. Such is life.

Bummer.  It was an attractive little pen, and I've been curious about pens with glass nibs (I have a J. Herbin glass tip dip pen that I cannot get to write for love nor money...).

As for me, I don't know whether "waiting for a week on pins and needles to see if I get outbid by a sniper" counts, for "impulsive".  But I've finally been able to snag a pen I've wanted for several years (and have either been thwarted by snipers or by seeing who the seller was and going "Nope nope nope -- just walking away now!") -- a Park Vector "Looney Toons Tasmanian Devil" pen.  This one is a different design from the original series, but the background color is attractive.  Got it for the minimum bid, plus tax and shipping.  But the economy shipping from the EU is apparently now such that the ETA for the pen is in TWO MONTHS.   Hopefully I can treat it as a Christmas present for myself....  

And the seller is someone I've dealt with before, and I'm amazed that the guy does NOT have 100% positive feedback, because my dealings with him have ALWAYS been good.  The one time there was an issue, it was eBay's IT department at fault -- definitely not his....

On 10/20/2022 at 6:06 AM, A Smug Dill said:

might end up putting a Moonman nib in it

Haha 🤣

Looks like you want to replay the whole legal fight. Next up, the Kaweco Fireblue Supra plus a Majohn nib? 

A Pelikan Souveran M1000 Black Green Fountain Pen with a broad nib reground to a stub by John Sorowka. One of my 'grail' pens...currently loaded with Sailor Manyo Haha.

1 hour ago, Chimera01 said:

A Pelikan Souveran M1000 Black Green Fountain Pen with a broad nib reground to a stub by John Sorowka. One of my 'grail' pens...currently loaded with Sailor Manyo Haha.

Congratulations, @Chimera01. Thanks for sharing. Photos would also be much appreciated. 

13 hours ago, OldTravelingShoe said:

Haha 🤣

Looks like you want to replay the whole legal fight.

What fight? One would-be combatant is deliberately not engaging when the other side is going full-frontal, but sidesteps so that the former's manoeuvres miss the mark; “no be there,” as Mr Miyagi counselled. That is particularly cool when others are watching intently to see how it plays out; let the aggressor waste his energy, appear ineffectual and do himself a disfavour, if he is apparently keen to win support from the crowd. ;)

13 hours ago, OldTravelingShoe said:

Next up, the Kaweco Fireblue Supra plus a Majohn nib?

Right now Kaweco is about a 50%-off brand to me, so let's see if, or how, the Supra Brass changes my mind about it.

If I just want to sarcastically put the brand down some more, I could always install the Kaweco nib into a Majohn T5 pen body; after all, I like the look and feel of the T5 well enough to have ordered another one of them after discovering the pen design's shortcomings, but it will never be one of my more highly regarded Chinese pen models.

Or I suppose I can put the Kaweco nib into a Nemosine Singularity (good nib for the price, pen body quality not so good, so most of my ten or so Singularity pens were bought discounted to be nib donors primarily) or Jinhao X750 (nice pen body, poor factory-fitted nib); a Kaweco nib made by JoWo could probably elevate either of those sub-$10 pens.

Right now I'm considering buying a Asvine P20, but I have no experience with the brand or its nibs. Maybe that one?

I endeavour to be frank and truthful in what I write, show or otherwise present, when I relate my first-hand experiences that are not independently verifiable; and link to third-party content where I can, when I make a claim or refute a statement of fact in a thread. If there is something you can verify for yourself, I entreat you to do so, and judge for yourself what is right, correct, and valid. I may be wrong, and my position or say-so is no more authoritative and carries no more weight than anyone else's here.

19 minutes ago, A Smug Dill said:

Right now I'm considering buying a Asvine P20, but I have no experience with the brand or its nibs. Maybe that one?

I have two of the V169s, an EF and M, and the nibs are quite fine, even the M (although maybe not fine enough for you), and write very smoothly.

Cheers,

Effrafax.

"It is a well known and much lamented fact that those people who most want to rule people are, ipso facto, those least suited to do it"

Douglas Adams ("The Hitch-Hiker's Guide to the Galaxy - The Original Radio Scripts").

37 minutes ago, effrafax said:

I have two of the V169s, an EF and M, and the nibs are quite fine, even the M (although maybe not fine enough for you), and write very smoothly.

Thank you! Were it not for the currently unfavourable USD-AUD exchange rate — I'm more used to the idea of thinking of the US dollar translating to a third to 40% more numerically, and an exchange rate of ≥A$1.48 was already enough to put an unwelcome squeeze my nuts to dampen on my enthusiasm for shopping on AliExpress — I'd have jumped right onto the purchase, on the positivity of your testimonial.

7 hours ago, A Smug Dill said:

Very funny, well done! 

appear ineffectual and do himself a disfavour, if he is apparently keen to win support from the crowd

... lots of potential for flaming, depending on everyone's knowledge, principles, and context. I'll pass, but it's like catnip for FPN cats 😹

Kaweco is about a 50%-off brand to me, so

Excellent concept! I use something similar for my own purchases, but expressed as price brackets and thus less generalized. Say, Kaweco at €20 or less? Can do. Much lower? Yes, please, I'll take two. Much above? No, thank you. Etc. With brands that offer pen lines in multiple price-brackets, I consider each pen line individually. But I can assess how your system would work better for modern pens, where pricing is known.