What Was Your Last Impulsive Pen Acquisition?

lgbpinho

• Replies 6.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• inkstainedruth

• A Smug Dill

• Misfit

• essayfaire

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

On 9/23/2022 at 3:33 PM, Driften said:

Then I visit Market watch and see a 1911L M for $89... can't pass up that as well. My only 1911L has a zoom nib and it will be nice to have a M to go with it. Good to have options...

Have you tried a Pilot Waverly nib? It writes a nice M line width. But, it does not have that distinctive Sailor writing we all come to expect. I prefer ef nibs, but the Pilot Waverly is one of the M nibs I like.

Pilot Justus 95 has been on my buy list for many years, but always put a Pelikan purchase above it. Anyhow, I was able to get the Justus for $170 after taxes new in F, and could not pass up the deal. Should be here by next week.

Thinking hard about getting a Pilot with a posting nib, since we have to write on exam sheets, and the paper is just poor. Before, we were allowed to use our own blank paper.

On 9/26/2022 at 11:54 AM, TitoThePencilPimp said:

Have you tried a Pilot Waverly nib? It writes a nice M line width. But, it does not have that distinctive Sailor writing we all come to expect. I prefer ef nibs, but the Pilot Waverly is one of the M nibs I like.

Pilot Justus 95 has been on my buy list for many years, but always put a Pelikan purchase above it. Anyhow, I was able to get the Justus for $170 after taxes new in F, and could not pass up the deal. Should be here by next week.

Thinking hard about getting a Pilot with a posting nib, since we have to write on exam sheets, and the paper is just poor. Before, we were allowed to use our own blank paper.

No I haven't had a pilot waverly or posting nib, I have Falcon SM, M, B, and a Emperor #50 B. I think at one point I had a 73 with a FM. 

Well, I succombed to curiosity and ordered the Jinhao X159 a while back. They arrived and... they're pretty good gateway pens for buying a real Montblanc 149.

large.20221001_132302.jpg.8271a5d9271d08310cf3f0cb7dd1889a.jpg

Here are my first impressions - good pens, actually:

Edited by OldTravelingShoe
Added a link to my first-impressions post

Sailor KOP Ebonite. I owned one of the ebonite with the old logo for about 5 years now. Felt that the pen was okay, wrote well, produce a juicy line some people here love, but the nib does not have the distinct Sailor feel. Writes like a Pilot nib, which is not a bad thing, but I like my Sailor's to write like Sailors and my Pilots to write like Pilots. 

I believed I may have received an over polished nib on my first KOP. So ordered a new Ebonite. Got a great deal ($500), but the picture was misleading. The nib has the new Sailor logo, which I hate. Again, it is even more smoother than my first KOP. 

No more KOP pens for me, as I prefer the nibs on the smaller models. An expensive lesson learned.

I resisted the temptation to buy another Onoto last month. Now the voices in my head (That's a joke!) are telling me that I really, really, really need to buy a Conway Stewart Series 100 to go with all the other new and vintage CS pens I have.

We shall see.

I was trying not to buy more new pens this year but when I saw the FPR Madras in acrylic blue stripe and ultraflex nib I bought it thinking that the pen will aloud flexible writing.  After 3 different inks [Waterman  blue,brown Sheaffers and Lamy green] the pen is going to the box of unusable pens: Railroading  without  pressure, ink starvation after a few words ,very scratchy nib. Another lesson learned.😪

6 hours ago, ParramattaPaul said:

I resisted the temptation to buy another Onoto last month. Now the voices in my head (That's a joke!) are telling me that I really, really, really need to buy a Conway Stewart Series 100 to go with all the other new and vintage CS pens I have.

We shall see.

I'm  thinking I really need to take advantage of the dollar to pound exchange rate for the same reason.

Festina lente

Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence

4 hours ago, jchch1950 said:

I was trying not to buy more new pens this year but when I saw the FPR Madras in acrylic blue stripe and ultraflex nib I bought it thinking that the pen will aloud flexible writing.  After 3 different inks [Waterman  blue,brown Sheaffers and Lamy green] the pen is going to the box of unusable pens: Railroading  without  pressure, ink starvation after a few words ,very scratchy nib. Another lesson learned.😪

If you think the problem is due to the original condition of the pen (when you received it), I encourage you to contact FPR. I have found them to be responsive AND a responsible seller of pens. You may need to return it for their repair/replacement. At least give them the opportunity to make good on what sounds like a decent pen before you relegate it to the"box".

Just my two cents worth...

Or not.

“Don't put off till tomorrow what you can do today, because if you do it today and like it, you can do again tomorrow!”

I just picked up another aerometric-filler Osmiroid 65 music nib set on eBay for the princely sum of £2.95. This one looks like its nib is set further out than my current one, such that it could be written with like a normal oblique nib rather than having to be held almost perpendicular to the page. Also a Burnham B48 from CollectablePens as a mount for some of my spare Esterbrook nibs.

5 hours ago, jchch1950 said:

Maybe an issue with the converter or plastic feed? I have a couple of Jaipur V2s, piston fillers with ultraflex nibs and honking great ebonite feeds, and both lay down an ungodly amount of ink without skipping or railroading (to the point where I keep them filled with Noodler's X-Feather inks).

Might be worth returning your Madras and giving one of these a try?

43 minutes ago, ruby.monkey said:

I just picked up another aerometric-filler Osmiroid 65 music nib set on eBay for the princely sum of £2.95. This one looks like its nib is set further out than my current one, such that it could be written with like a normal oblique nib rather than having to be held almost perpendicular to the page. Also a Burnham B48 from CollectablePens as a mount for some of my spare Esterbrook nibs.

Thank you for the CollectiblePens reference.  I had a 'Captain Cook' and impulsively purchased the De La Rue they had listed.  TA!

20 hours ago, Tashi_Tsering said:

Must de Cartier Trinity. Slim quality made pen with 18k fine nib and ebonite feed. 

6D5BC431-3EC5-4367-B41B-E3481BE1ACC1.jpeg

63FCD363-0DEA-4B59-9123-9C40E57657AC.jpeg

9AFD7D28-871A-4522-9531-CD6EB1D0AABA.jpeg

6B36F871-77CF-4CDC-A658-8A1CC9F4F891.jpeg

13AC6B07-7773-4F7A-9776-87958653F69E.jpeg

Great use of the crystal dish to photograph your new pen. 

Posted Image

Absolutely impulse. About two hours ago I spotted this Sheaffer Royal Selangor pen for a reasonable price and got in touch with the seller. Made in the mid 90s, it was to be one of four Asian models but Sheaffer was sold and this one was the only model produced. The pen is based on the Connoisseur and the cap and barrel are pewter, with an 18k bi-tone nib. It's a big B nib with a huge blob of iridium, so I think I'll have a very special 2-way grind done on it. Looking forward to seeing it in person. (Top image of pen for sale, bottom image courtesy of Peyton Street Pens)

spacer.png

spacer.png

"When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick; and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin

11 hours ago, Gloucesterman said:

If you think the problem is due to the original condition of the pen (when you received it), I encourage you to contact FPR. I have found them to be responsive AND a responsible seller of pens. You may need to return it for their repair/replacement. At least give them the opportunity to make good on what sounds like a decent pen before you relegate it to the"box".

Just my two cents worth...

Or not.

Thank you for your comment. I will try.

10 hours ago, ruby.monkey said:

Maybe an issue with the converter or plastic feed? I have a couple of Jaipur V2s, piston fillers with ultraflex nibs and honking great ebonite feeds, and both lay down an ungodly amount of ink without skipping or railroading (to the point where I keep them filled with Noodler's X-Feather inks).

Might be worth returning your Madras and giving one of these a try?

I will contact the seller and will propose the change. If it is not possible maybe I will try to buy one ebonite feed. Your comment is appreciated.

4 hours ago, JonSzanto said:

Absolutely impulse. About two hours ago I spotted this Sheaffer Royal Selangor pen for a reasonable price and got in touch with the seller. Made in the mid 90s, it was to be one of four Asian models but Sheaffer was sold and this one was the only model produced. The pen is based on the Connoisseur and the cap and barrel are pewter, with an 18k bi-tone nib. It's a big B nib with a huge blob of iridium, so I think I'll have a very special 2-way grind done on it. Looking forward to seeing it in person. (Top image of pen for sale, bottom image courtesy of Peyton Street Pens)

spacer.png

spacer.png

That's a beaut.  :thumbup:

On 10/1/2022 at 7:24 AM, OldTravelingShoe said:

Well, I succombed to curiosity and ordered the Jinhao X159 a while back. They arrived and... they're pretty good gateway pens for buying a real Montblanc 149.

large.20221001_132302.jpg.8271a5d9271d08310cf3f0cb7dd1889a.jpg

Here are my first impressions - good pens, actually:

Nice, I've been thinking about them too. 😀

LINK <-- my Ink and Paper tests

Spoiler

An Estebrook Camden and a Este Scarlet(*Rollerball Version*)

“Many boys will bring you flowers. But someday you'll meet a boy who will learn your favorite flower, your favorite song, your favorite sweet. And even if he is too poor to give you any of them, it won't matter because he will have taken the time to know you as no one else does. Only that boy earns your heart."

-Leigh Bardugo, Six of Crows

Follow me on IG: Lenses.and pens_

Please do not assume affiliation for any stores I may post about, just a happy customer.

Franklin Christoph 02 in antique cathedral with a nagahara broad stub.

I've been indecisive for months about what color 02 to get. I put myself on various notification lists and let them come and go without making a purchase. Well today I put myself on the list for antique glass and cathedral. Within a couple minutes I noticed they notified me it was back in stock! It was like they posted it for me! I couldn't ignore that lol