What Was Your Last Impulsive Pen Acquisition?

lgbpinho

Parker 51 Vacumatic in Buckskin Beige and sterling cap. It came in at a fairly low price due to missing tassie and jewel on the blind cap, a cracked jewel on the cap, and some dings on the cap. I'm expecting to have to do a new diaphragm too, based on the listing, but that's the only issue listed that affects performance. I don't usually care that much about restoring pens beyond user level, but I may take more care with this one and see how close I can make it to "as good as new." 

• Replies 6.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• inkstainedruth

• A Smug Dill

• Misfit

• essayfaire

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

12 hours ago, OldTravelingShoe said:

I ordered a Parker VP. I know too little about this type of pen, but I hope this will help me learn hands-on. ✒️

The VP is an interesting beast... one part 65, one part 75, two parts mutant 360° mosquito.

I rather like mine.

David-

So many restoration projects...

6 hours ago, awa54 said:

The VP is an interesting beast... one part 65, one part 75, two parts mutant 360° mosquito.

I rather like mine.

Thank you for this, @awa54, I had the impression at least (parts of) the grip looked familiar!

Let's see if it has a working filling mechanism and, if not, what I can do about it. 

On 8/1/2022 at 9:48 PM, awa54 said:

barring damage to the nib or filler system, these are *always* fantastic writers (so long as you like glassy smooth page feel and sufficient ink flow).

they're easy to restore too, once you've done one successfully, the next is push-button (barring aforementioned abuse).

Enjoy!

Ron did a great job restoring it. On third fill of Edelstein Aventurine since it's arrival on August 1.

Brad

"Words are, of course, the most powerful drug used by mankind" - Rudyard Kipling
"None of us can have as many virtues as the fountain-pen, or half its cussedness; but we can try." - Mark Twain

I’m on a mid century modern binge with everything so besides the Parker Super 21 I bought a 3 pk of Jinhao 51a, and an 85. I do wish the hoods matched the barrels. I also ordered a Hero 8007(?), 240 duckbill, and a 78g clone that was a dollar.

Top 5 of 23 currently inked pens:

Namiki Origami Tradition maki-e Penguin F, Pilot Iroshizuku Ku-Jaku

Sailor X Sakazaki Penguin Pro Gear Slim MF, Sailor Manyo Konagi

Lamy 2000 EF, Diamine Purple Bow

Platinum Hibiscus SF short-long, Platinum Green

Indigo Bronze TWSBI Eco 1.1 Stub, De Atramentis Columbia Blue-Copper 

always looking for penguin fountain pens and stationery 

I ordered a Pelikan Souveran M1000 but a person before me got the last one with F nib. I now have to wait for the seller to restock. Don't want to cancel order as prices may go up and it will not be a bargain anymore 😩

2 hours ago, MarcoA63 said:

I ordered a Pelikan Souveran M1000 but a person before me got the last one with F nib. I now have to wait for the seller to restock. Don't want to cancel order as prices may go up and it will not be a bargain anymore 😩

One can always look on the bright side (and watch Monty Python): Will be even more joyful when it arrives, and with a great discount as well. Congrats on the great pen! 😄

3 hours ago, OldTravelingShoe said:

One can always look on the bright side (and watch Monty Python): Will be even more joyful when it arrives, and with a great discount as well. Congrats on the great pen! 😄

In my opinion a good vendor will honor the original price that you paid even if the price increases.

Again that is my opinion AND has been my experience over the years.

“Don't put off till tomorrow what you can do today, because if you do it today and like it, you can do again tomorrow!”

6 hours ago, MarcoA63 said:

II now have to wait for the seller to restock. Don't want to cancel order as prices may go up... 

34 minutes ago, Gloucesterman said:

In my opinion a good vendor will honor the original price that you paid even if the price increases.

Assuming the order does/did not get cancelled (especially on the customer's initiative or behest), and the original price that was paid does/did not get refunded in full as the immediate result, then yes, I'd agree. Thus, I think it makes sense that @MarcoA63 is electing to wait and take no other action (i.e. cancel the order) for now.

I endeavour to be frank and truthful in what I write, show or otherwise present, when I relate my first-hand experiences that are not independently verifiable; and link to third-party content where I can, when I make a claim or refute a statement of fact in a thread. If there is something you can verify for yourself, I entreat you to do so, and judge for yourself what is right, correct, and valid. I may be wrong, and my position or say-so is no more authoritative and carries no more weight than anyone else's here.

Sigh. Even though I cannot avail myself of the great deals on Amazon.com for the Sailor and Platinum pens noted by @lascosas as of late, I still got seduced into going ahead and ordering a Sailor Profit Standard with a 21K gold EF nib, for which the Japanese MSRP has gone up by 25% as of this month but the increase is not yet reflected in the eBay seller's asking price, and a Platinum President with an 18K gold EF nib for almost exactly the same price, which is better than what my 'normal' source for such would sell it for even when giving as large a promo discount as I've seen it offer in the past 18 months. What sealed the deal for me is that this seller of good repute is unexpectedly offering a low (per item, not combined) international shipping fee to Australia right now, which makes the total spend amount marginally more palatable.

Now (or soon) I'll have more than all the different EF nibs that I had in mind to try out. Will I be able to call it 'done' then?

Edit:

A big thumbs-up to eBay seller penpen-avenue! Without my asking for or about combined shipping , either before or after I placed my order for the two pens, I was sent a refund for one lot of the shipping fee overnight. Thanks!

I endeavour to be frank and truthful in what I write, show or otherwise present, when I relate my first-hand experiences that are not independently verifiable; and link to third-party content where I can, when I make a claim or refute a statement of fact in a thread. If there is something you can verify for yourself, I entreat you to do so, and judge for yourself what is right, correct, and valid. I may be wrong, and my position or say-so is no more authoritative and carries no more weight than anyone else's here.

<Now (or soon) I'll have more than all the different EF nibs that I had in mind to try out. Will I be able to call it 'done' then?>

Don't be silly.  🙂

That's a nice pen, at a nice price. And a very nice handwriting.

If you are to be ephemeral, leave a good scent.

On 8/11/2022 at 5:39 PM, A Smug Dill said:

A big thumbs-up to eBay seller penpen-avenue! Without my asking for or about combined shipping , either before or after I placed my order for the two pens, I was sent a refund for one lot of the shipping fee overnight. Thanks!

I have also had unfailingly excellent service from these guys - both for pens and inks - in fact the majority of my Iroshizuku's have come from them at prices I've been more than happy with, along with super quick shipping.

On 8/11/2022 at 4:36 PM, Gloucesterman said:

Again that is my opinion AND has been my experience over the years.

Prices might increase and if I cancel the order and go for it again I might not get the same offer and savings, so I patiently wait for the new arrivals 😊

15 hours ago, Stompie said:

new pen.jpg

I think it is a good looking pen!

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

I am happy with it and apparently, after silicone on the threads, I can fill the barrel!

new pen 2.jpg

Pelikan Twists (yes, there was more than one because colors). I needed a couple of pens that I didn't mind taking to work (when I get back there) in case they disappear (which I need to stress, has only rarely happened in the past when someone needed to write something near my cube, went pen hunting, and grabbed one off my desk), didn't mind losing, and didn't mind if they broke.

I've only tried Frost Blue so far, using the included cartridge and it's surprisingly smooth writing. I did pick up a couple converters for my most prized colors, but will stick with cartridges for the work ones (mainly because I'm a klutz and hate having to clean up spilled ink from my work desk. And the phone. And my chair. And...and...and...

On 8/11/2022 at 2:45 AM, MarcoA63 said:

Have you tried appelboom or cult pens? They had them in stock last week I checked. Maybe using the 10% off coupon matches or is close to the deal you received.