What Was Your Last Impulsive Pen Acquisition?

lgbpinho

Just arrived: a Pilot Custom 743 with a Falcon (FA) nib, developing an interest in flex. 

• Replies 6.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• inkstainedruth

• A Smug Dill

• Misfit

• essayfaire

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

15 hours ago, ParramattaPaul said:

'A Dremel is the hobbyist's dream tool and the curse of the craftsmen who have to fix the abuses caused by a Dremel in the hands of the inexperienced.'  I have that on the authority of a gunsmith whose income is increased by fixing what 'Bubba' and his Dremel have done.

The humble Dremel rotary tool, is the small scale analog of a Sawzall (both trademarked products btw)   ...incredibly useful and capable in the right hands and massively destructive in all others 🤦‍♂️ 

David-

So many restoration projects...

Just in the last day or two - Levenger had a sale going so I picked up a True Writer- the red with gold trim one, and it is supposed to come with both a F and a M. But this morning I was informed by email that it is on back order, so it will be several weeks before it ships.

I also went vintage this week. a 1950's Sheaffer Craftsman touchdown from Ron Zorn. I should have that in hand Tuesday.

Brad

"Words are, of course, the most powerful drug used by mankind" - Rudyard Kipling
"None of us can have as many virtues as the fountain-pen, or half its cussedness; but we can try." - Mark Twain

On 7/29/2022 at 10:40 PM, ParramattaPaul said:

'A Dremel is the hobbyist's dream tool and the curse of the craftsmen who have to fix the abuses caused by a Dremel in the hands of the inexperienced.'  I have that on the authority of a gunsmith whose income is increased by fixing what 'Bubba' and his Dremel have done.

Oh, I didn't know my nick name was common knowledge!  A dremel in my hands is very expensive.

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

I bought a Faber Castell Ambition Pearwood as I couldn’t resist it at discount of 50%.  I like slender pens, and the small stepped section doesn’t affect me as I have an unconventional high grip. The nib is a revelation. I’d never considered Faber Castell before but now I want a GvFC! 

The aforementioned Sheaffer Craftsman with touchdown filler,  M nib. 

20220801_205110.jpg

Brad

"Words are, of course, the most powerful drug used by mankind" - Rudyard Kipling
"None of us can have as many virtues as the fountain-pen, or half its cussedness; but we can try." - Mark Twain

51 minutes ago, Runnin_Ute said:

The aforementioned Sheaffer Craftsman with touchdown filler,  M nib. 

20220801_205110.jpg

barring damage to the nib or filler system, these are *always* fantastic writers (so long as you like glassy smooth page feel and sufficient ink flow).

they're easy to restore too, once you've done one successfully, the next is push-button (barring aforementioned abuse).

Enjoy!

David-

So many restoration projects...

8 minutes ago, Al-fresco said:

I was ready to buy a new Pelikan M800 when I found a used Mont Blanc 149 on eBay...IMG_1661.thumb.jpg.341dd57ea7d2dc3ceeeee2bc2a32c173.jpg

Isn't that just always the way it goes?!? :lticaptd: (Congratulations, that's a beauty!)

Co-founded the Netherlands Pen Club. DM me if you would like to know about our meetups and join our Discord!

Currently attempting to collect the history of Diplomat pens.

On 7/31/2022 at 9:15 AM, Pingu said:

I bought a Faber Castell Ambition Pearwood as I couldn’t resist it at discount of 50%.  I like slender pens, and the small stepped section doesn’t affect me as I have an unconventional high grip. The nib is a revelation. I’d never considered Faber Castell before but now I want a GvFC! 

well, I’ve succumbed and ordered a GvFC Classic… should arrive at the end of the week. 😬

On 7/29/2022 at 10:29 PM, inkstainedruth said:

Sadly, I don't seem to be able to find photos of any of them (at least not on this computer...).

I was going to ask...

Festina lente

Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence

The last impulse buy I made was actually kiiiind of ridiculous.

There is a (presumably Chinese) model of pen on Amazon that you can buy 16 clear pens for $20. Better yet, they come with converters (yeah, they’re cheap, but also I’ll) , of which I always love having extra around.

So they finally got here a few days ago and I was expecting them to be complete trash except for maybe one or two. But almost every one of them writes great out of the package. There was one that was a little scratchy because of bent tines, but it was easy to fix. 

———

Aaaaaaaaand I just now remembered that this morning I took advantage of Karas Kustoms temporarily lower prices, and ordered a stonewashed aluminum Fountain K with an EF titanium nib, and a (discontinued?) aluminum Decograph that was something like $60 (with a steel double broad, my favorite… 🤤).

fpn_1451747045__img_1999-2.jpg

On 8/2/2022 at 5:53 AM, Al-fresco said:

I was ready to buy a new Pelikan M800 when I found a used Mont Blanc 149 on eBay...IMG_1661.thumb.jpg.341dd57ea7d2dc3ceeeee2bc2a32c173.jpg

Very nice! Looks like it might be an EF.

Rationalizing pen and ink purchases since 1967.

23 hours ago, Pingu said:

well, I’ve succumbed and ordered a GvFC Classic… should arrive at the end of the week. 😬

well it’s arrived today!

I am very impressed with the high quality presentation. The wooden box is classy and the pouch is a nice touch.  Looking forward to initiating the pen! 🙂

FA988BDB-CD5E-484F-BFC1-0C5765719762.jpeg.f68eece41efd9d985ea7ca12ea67e90c.jpeg

Alerted to some additional items on sale by @A Smug Dill, I have now purchased yet ANOTHER Diplomat Excellence A2, this time in very, very bright yellow!! :yikes:

Hmmm... what should I tempt Dill to buy next....? (It's only fair that way!)

Co-founded the Netherlands Pen Club. DM me if you would like to know about our meetups and join our Discord!

1 hour ago, DvdRiet said:

Hmmm... what should I tempt Dill to buy next....? (It's only fair that way) 

@A Smug Dill is already single-handedly reviewing most of the new Chinese pens, be they made by HongDian, Majohn, etc. So no mention of the Wing Sung / Yong Sheng 628 (Sailor) or 629 (MB), please.

And surely no mention of the PenBBS special steel nibs being again available, including their No. 1 calligraphy nib... Wait, what did I do, I mentioned this and already ordered it?! Self-snookered on Etsy... 😆

1 hour ago, OldTravelingShoe said:

the PenBBS special steel nibs being again available, including their No. 1 calligraphy nib...

That sounds very interesting! Would love to hear what you think of it! (I admittedly have zero knowledge or experience with Chinese pens, though these reviews are beginning to tempt me to delve into that arena)

Ordered this yesterday: 

Click Aristocrat Fountain Pen CT Demonstrator

Nib Options:

Flex

I ordered a Parker VP. I know too little about this type of pen, but I hope this will help me learn hands-on. ✒️