What Was Your Last Impulsive Pen Acquisition?

lgbpinho

30 minutes ago, joshsx said:

The first impulsive purchase which was triggered last week by ink shopping. Sorry for the photo quality, it's my first time.

Nakaya Dorsal Fin V2 Kuro-Tamenuri 

Pink Gold Medium Nib

Goldfish converter

20220629_174731.jpg

20220629_175014.jpg

20220629_175308.jpg

20220629_175442.jpg

Wow wow wow!!

Co-founded the Netherlands Pen Club. DM me if you would like to know about our meetups and join our Discord!

Currently attempting to collect the history of Diplomat pens.

• Replies 6.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• inkstainedruth

• A Smug Dill

• Misfit

• essayfaire

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

39 minutes ago, joshsx said:

The first impulsive purchase which was triggered last week by ink shopping. Sorry for the photo quality, it's my first time.

Pink Gold Medium Nib

Goldfish converter

20220629_174731.jpg

20220629_175014.jpg

20220629_175308.jpg

20220629_175442.jpg

Obviously I love the pen. But where do you get a converter like that?!

1 minute ago, carola said:

Obviously I love the pen. But where do you get a converter like that?!

I bought it directly from Aesthetic Bay. They had a few designs but this was the only one with fish and appealed to me.

51 minutes ago, joshsx said:

Pink Gold Medium Nib

Goldfish converter

20220629_174731.jpg

20220629_175014.jpg

20220629_175308.jpg

20220629_175442.jpg

Wow. That's a beauty. Love the kuro tamenuri finish.

1 hour ago, joshsx said:

Pink Gold Medium Nib

Goldfish converter

20220629_174731.jpg

20220629_175014.jpg

20220629_175308.jpg

20220629_175442.jpg

gorgeous.. that is on my list of grail pens

2 hours ago, joshsx said:

Pink Gold Medium Nib

Goldfish converter

20220629_174731.jpg

20220629_175014.jpg

20220629_175308.jpg

20220629_175442.jpg

Beautiful pen. I like the converter as well.

“Don't put off till tomorrow what you can do today, because if you do it today and like it, you can do again tomorrow!”

Not anything as beautiful as that Nakaya Dorsal Fin but I do seem to be on a roll today. I've just won an auction I decided to bid on in the final half hour for my second impulse buy of the day: my first S.T. Dupont pen, in Chinese lacquer. 

Co-founded the Netherlands Pen Club. DM me if you would like to know about our meetups and join our Discord!

Currently attempting to collect the history of Diplomat pens.

3 hours ago, joshsx said:

Goldfish converter

How neat!  

Festina lente

Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence

4 hours ago, joshsx said:

Pink Gold Medium Nib

Goldfish converter

20220629_174731.jpg

20220629_175014.jpg

20220629_175308.jpg

20220629_175442.jpg

If I ever add a dorsal to my collection it will be a V2. Just BEAUTIFUL!

the Danitrio Fellowship

3 hours ago, mallymal1 said:

Wow. That's a beauty. Love the kuro tamenuri finish.

They are my two favourite colours. The glow of red within the darkness.

2 hours ago, Gloucesterman said:

Beautiful pen. I like the converter as well.

56 minutes ago, essayfaire said:

How neat!  

The fish will disappear if I use red ink, which was the original plan!

1 hour ago, DvdRiet said:

Not anything as beautiful as that Nakaya Dorsal Fin but I do seem to be on a roll today. I've just won an auction I decided to bid on in the final half hour for my second impulse buy of the day: my first S.T. Dupont pen, in Chinese lacquer. 

Do share photos when you receive it!

it's not here yet, in fact the impulsiveness struck just minutes ago...

I was idly refreshing the "Pilot CON-W" search I leave a tab open to on that auction site (there was a slow moment at work, between customers) and up popped a poorly worded auction for what at first seemed to be a wooden ballpoint pen only, however the term 14K was in the auction title and upon inspection, the pictures clearly show a NOS Pilot Custom Grandee Kaede set with a medium nib fountain pen and button actuated ballpoint, in an immaculate box, with papers and a sealed packet of two ink cartridges!

...for an altogether too reasonable "buy it now" price!!

if all is as pictured, I'll be ecstatic... 

David-

So many restoration projects...

A Majohn A1 with a clip and a pearlescent blue body. Actually, that wasn't what I originally ordered; and the seller in question hasn't even listed such a product yet. I ordered something else (at a good price!) that the seller “promptly” — as in almost instantly — advised upon accepting my order that it cannot supply, and after I summarily rejected its suggestions of alternatives, I “impulsively” countered with this being an acceptable alternative which I expect it will be stocking in the immediate future. Surprisingly, the seller said OK to that.

and

My second Pilot Justus 95, in a different nib width grade, and with gold trim instead of rhodium trim (which seems difficult to get from Japanese, Chinese, and Australian retailers, so I'm glad I got that first), but the same barleycorn finish instead of straight stripes.

I endeavour to be frank and truthful in what I write, show or otherwise present, when I relate my first-hand experiences that are not independently verifiable; and link to third-party content where I can, when I make a claim or refute a statement of fact in a thread. If there is something you can verify for yourself, I entreat you to do so, and judge for yourself what is right, correct, and valid. I may be wrong, and my position or say-so is no more authoritative and carries no more weight than anyone else's here.

22 hours ago, Mayo said:

Ended up getting my first Parker 51 a few days ago for my birthday! It's burgundy aerometric and has a pretty smooth medium nib.

IMG_20220629_005412872.thumb.jpg.2e4386edfb299433604642b549f7d196.jpg

Congratulations! Looks like a fine writer.

Rationalizing pen and ink purchases since 1967.

On 6/18/2022 at 4:18 PM, Paul-in-SF said:

I went for a Montblanc from Japan, un-identified by the seller but it looks like a 320 or similar slender piston-filler with an ink window, in burgundy. Nothing special except that it has the longest, skinniest tines I've ever seen on a nib of that style; also the price was quite reasonable even though the pen appears to be user-grade, and free shipping, so I had to try it. 

I was right in that it was a 320, and it arrived today. A c/c filler, and it feels pretty cheap -- definitely nothing precious about this resin -- but it's in better shape than I thought it was. I put a cartridge in it, as I found I did not have a spare converter around. The international short cartridge seemed to snap right in, so am I safe in assuming that, say, a Schmidt K5 converter would fit? 

So I guess I have a subset of Sheaffer TRX/Fashion pens in my collection now. I really like slim pens, and these are great, fun, and inexpensive. I started with a baby blue matte and now I randomly bought a matte black one. It’s pure nostalgia.

On 6/28/2022 at 5:39 PM, PAKMAN said:

Here is my impulsive haul from the St Lewis Pen show!

From left:

Parker 51 Arial Kullock blue sharkskin with tooled sterling cap and Danny Fudge Stub nib

Vacumatic Arial Kullock in brown swirl double jewel

Parker Senior flattop Duofold in Lapis blue

Parker Vacumatic Standard Emerald pearl double jewel

Sheaffer OS Balance in black

GvFc Guilloche in Indigo

1929182936_StLewisPenHaul.thumb.jpg.ab631eb143eb6cead97e723d59630967.jpg

Very nice pens, congratulations, @PAKMAN

I'm also glad at the thought of upcoming reviews 😉

On 6/30/2022 at 3:35 AM, A Smug Dill said:

My second Pilot Justus 95, in a different nib width grade, and with gold trim instead of rhodium trim (which seems difficult to get from Japanese, Chinese, and Australian retailers, so I'm glad I got that first), but the same barleycorn finish instead of straight stripes.

Hehe, @A Smug Dill, this is making it very hard to resist the impulse to buy one! Only the thought that I'd wait for about a month for it to ship from Japan does a bit the trick; but only a bit, because there are always other pens in-flight, and even if not as special or pricey as the Justus, they will still occupy hobby-time and thus make it a pleasant wait if any such thing can exist.

Note to self: do not press that button! 

(Technically, it's three impulse buys, of which at least two too many.) 

I got inspired to try out the Parker 180 pen and nib. I did not want to buy directly this pen, mostly because I could only find it at €125 or higher pricing, so I chose a trio of cheaper pens instead, all on an impulse but still coordinated as a buy across a month - does this still count? 

In short, out of a Parker Classic, a Chinese Hero, and an unnamed Chinese pen, I liked the Parker and not the Chinese nibs, and I'm not buying the Parker 180 immediately. 

A brief visual guide appears here:

Edited by OldTravelingShoe
Corrected some typos, but surely not all.