What Was Your Last Impulsive Pen Acquisition?

lgbpinho

On 1/30/2022 at 7:11 PM, KBeezie said:

This was definitely impulse, saw the nib and had to grab.

blOOxS7.jpeg

jfRNLWA.jpeg

Oqphv9c.jpeg

Awesome Tuckaway!!

Two Triumph pattern broad stubs have passed through my hands in the last 20 years, one was in a snorkel that I gave to my brother (it was subsequently stolen by a coworker of his) and the other is a stainless* nib only that I bought on that auction site. I plan to transplant that one into a TM (yeah, it'd be a frankenpen, but what a sweet one!) or Snork at some point... 

The oblique though, is something I've only heard tell of in hushed tones, though I did see a reproduction of a nib chart from a period ad that verified the existence of this unicorn of a nib.

It's nice that it's a TD filler, since the touchdowns are so much easier to restore than piston/vac versions, with parts kits available from several sources.

*were the late production "white" nibs still PdAg, or stainless alloy?

David-

So many restoration projects...

• Replies 6.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• inkstainedruth

• A Smug Dill

• Misfit

• essayfaire

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

20 hours ago, OldTravelingShoe said:

@Paul-in-SF, I convinced myself that pre-owned pens are not new pens. So, imho you're still doing well on your "no new pens" resolution.

Thank you, @OldTravelingShoe! That's the way to go; mental health restored! 😉

One life!

1 hour ago, gweimer1 said:

Well, if that's the case, I suppose I could post my recent non-impulse buy.   I'm going to be busy.

👀 Was this all one purchase?? Store went out of business or estate sale?

Last time I tried to make an impulse purchase I showed up at an estate sale, asked if they had any pens, and received a blank stare back.  Needless to say, I didn't enter.

Festina lente

Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence

@amberleadavisYou will be sure to post your tests of the nib, won't you?  You make such wonderful comparisons! I'm wondering if this nib would allow me to discard the Sharpies except when mailing things.

Festina lente

21 hours ago, KBeezie said:

This was definitely impulse, saw the nib and had to grab.

blOOxS7.jpeg

jfRNLWA.jpeg

Oqphv9c.jpeg

OOOOOH.  Is that an oblique nib?  And what model is it?  A Touchdown or something else?

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

On 1/24/2022 at 2:53 PM, Paul-in-SF said:

Just now, an Aiken Lambert Skywriter (by Waterman's, I think), in a golden-brown striated celluloid, with an A.L.C. nib. Just trolling through eBay and there it was at what seems like a bargain price, even if I (probably) have to clean it up and replace the sac. 

Here's a photo from the listing:

140407647_AikenLambertSkywriter.thumb.jpg.4393f9a98bfb92dfd3a89f46c382f4ab.jpg

This pen arrived today, and it is a very sweet flexy writer. I had to put in a new sac and J-bar, which fortunately I had, and to put a touch of that stretchy white tape that plumbers use between the threads (instead of pipe dope) on the section to tighten up the connection, and clean up some of the black stuff around the clip. It's a small pen, only 127 mm closed, but it posts and then it writes beautifully. 

5 hours ago, gweimer1 said:

Well, if that's the case, I suppose I could post my recent non-impulse buy.   I'm going to be busy.

May be an image of cosmetics

No photo description available.

May be an image of 1 person

I've been to B&M stores that have less inventory.  WOW that's quite a haul!

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

4 hours ago, essayfaire said:

@amberleadavisYou will be sure to post your tests of the nib, won't you?  You make such wonderful comparisons! I'm wondering if this nib would allow me to discard the Sharpies except when mailing things.

Thank you!  As soon as it is here, I'll ink it up!

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

3 hours ago, inkstainedruth said:

OOOOOH.  Is that an oblique nib?  And what model is it?  A Touchdown or something else?

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

Sheaffer Tuckaway in Persian Blue with a Touchdown Filler. Seller said the imprint under the nib says S5R which would make it a right oblique stub, but I can't quite see the "R" in the picture, and the image from above looks like a left-footed oblique (which would be more useful to my right hand) but the underside seems pretty straight. Also their stubs were more like a cursive italic now (Sharper). Will know more when it gets here. 

My ultimate goal though is to transplant that into a grey "first year" snorkel valiant (first year because it has a solid 14K gold snorkel tube), also the marking under the nib I don't think occurred until the Snorkels. If the tuckaway is the same diameter as the Touchdown TM I should be able to unscrew the nib off the base of the nib unit and move it over (assuming I don't have to heat it up much to break free any shellac/ink). The Snorkel I have already has the nib unscrewed waiting for it, and I may have to re-align the snorkel tube and feed. If successful I'll put my 14K two-tone EF onto the Tuckaway which feels more appropriate for a pocket pen. 

These.  One because I wanted to try out a fat nib with which to play with shimmer, and the Sport to replace the ruined new Monteverde fridge pen.  

IMG_1136.JPG

Festina lente

32 minutes ago, amberleadavis said:

Thank you!  As soon as it is here, I'll ink it up!

:)

Festina lente

13 minutes ago, essayfaire said:

:)

Here is my new impulse, a ribbon demonstrator from Hinze pens.

The inks is Birmingham - Galactic.

PXL_20220201_012657156.jpg

2 minutes ago, amberleadavis said:

Here is my new impulse, a ribbon demonstrator from Hinze pens.

The inks is Birmingham - Galactic.

PXL_20220201_012657156.jpg

No magnet, though that would have helped!  See the thread I started titled, "Whoops" for further discussion of the exact definition/purpose of a fridge pen, but in my case the pen rests in a small magnetic basket that is attached to the refrigerator.   Or does not, as was the case when the Monteverde hit the floor. 

I am thinking of the ink capacity of a pen the size of a small fridge.  I think that might be a vast improvement on a Con-40.  Perhaps it could have multiple reservoirs for different inks!

Festina lente

15 minutes ago, essayfaire said:

No magnet, though that would have helped!  See the thread I started titled, "Whoops" for further discussion of the exact definition/purpose of a fridge pen, but in my case the pen rests in a small magnetic basket that is attached to the refrigerator.   Or does not, as was the case when the Monteverde hit the floor. 

I am thinking of the ink capacity of a pen the size of a small fridge.  I think that might be a vast improvement on a Con-40.  Perhaps it could have multiple reservoirs for different inks!

May I suggest a NewtonPens.com Double Ender?

spacer.png

44 minutes ago, KBeezie said:

Sheaffer Tuckaway in Persian Blue with a Touchdown Filler. Seller said the imprint under the nib says S5R which would make it a right oblique stub, but I can't quite see the "R" in the picture, and the image from above looks like a left-footed oblique (which would be more useful to my right hand) but the underside seems pretty straight. Also their stubs were more like a cursive italic now (Sharper). Will know more when it gets here. 

My ultimate goal though is to transplant that into a grey "first year" snorkel valiant (first year because it has a solid 14K gold snorkel tube), also the marking under the nib I don't think occurred until the Snorkels. If the tuckaway is the same diameter as the Touchdown TM I should be able to unscrew the nib off the base of the nib unit and move it over (assuming I don't have to heat it up much to break free any shellac/ink). The Snorkel I have already has the nib unscrewed waiting for it, and I may have to re-align the snorkel tube and feed. If successful I'll put my 14K two-tone EF onto the Tuckaway which feels more appropriate for a pocket pen. 

The hardest part (usually) is aligning the feed to the threaded nib carrier collar... the feeds have a slot like a screw head, to allow the feed to be rotated in relation to the outer collar (which has the threads for the nib and the threads that go into the section). The catch is that the collar is plastic and the feeds are ebonite, so 60+ years later, they aren't usually inclined to move freely :( (and yes, the nib should be firmly screwed on to the collar with some form of sealant on the threads, shellac has worked for me in the past)

Snorkels OTOH, can usually be broken loose from the sac plug by hand, using something for grip enhancement and a twisting/rocking motion. However, there's a naked piece of ebonite projecting from the inner end of the snorkel, so I've always applied shellac only from the outside and after the snorkel is correctly set for depth and rotation, that way you don't risk having 'lac flow into the feed channel and obstructing it.

One thing I've wondered about before is the possibility of punching (what appears to be) the round insert out of the center of a TD/TM feed... it *looks* like it may be the same feed as a snorkel uses, but with an ebonite insert where the snorkel would go, but I've never explored that option, as I always had a parts snorkel kicking around and haven't ever tried a cross platform transplant.

David-

4 minutes ago, awa54 said:

The hardest part (usually) is aligning the feed to the threaded nib carrier collar... the feeds have a slot like a screw head, to allow the feed to be rotated in relation to the outer collar (which has the threads for the nib and the threads that go into the section). The catch is that the collar is plastic and the feeds are ebonite, so 60+ years later, they aren't usually inclined to move freely :( (and yes, the nib should be firmly screwed on to the collar with some form of sealant on the threads, shellac has worked for me in the past)

Snorkels OTOH, can usually be broken loose from the sac plug by hand, using something for grip enhancement and a twisting/rocking motion. However, there's a naked piece of ebonite projecting from the inner end of the snorkel, so I've always applied shellac only from the outside and after the snorkel is correctly set for depth and rotation, that way you don't risk having 'lac flow into the feed channel and obstructing it.

One thing I've wondered about before is the possibility of punching (what appears to be) the round insert out of the center of a TD/TM feed... it *looks* like it may be the same feed as a snorkel uses, but with an ebonite insert where the snorkel would go, but I've never explored that option, as I always had a parts snorkel kicking around and haven't ever tried a cross platform transplant.

I've done it a few times including when transplanting a PdAg nib from one Snorkel to another and 14K onto that. My grey set was originally a Statesman, and the green pen a Valiant. But I didn't like the PdAg nib paired with the 14K snorkel tube. 

P17E0At.jpg

It would have just been a straight matter of swapping nib units and re-aligning the tube to them, but the two snorkels were a different generation of production in which the collars were not the same depth, so I had to swap the nibs themselves. 

YqqDv9d.png

It wasn't too difficult for me just required a fair bit of patience because I knew of the risks involved in getting that Triumph style nib off.

Regarding punching a hole in a TD Feed, I know you can transplant a TD TM nib over, but the feed is a much longer deal (which I have out on a Touchdown Sentinel Deluxe). I would say no because the tail of the feed is a lot longer at the end than the Snorkel's. I'll get some comparative pictures later if you're curious. For my purposes I'll need to transplant the nib, leaving the original feeds to the pens. 

5 minutes ago, KBeezie said:

I've done it a few times including when transplanting a PdAg nib from one Snorkel to another and 14K onto that. My grey set was originally a Statesman, and the green pen a Valiant. But I didn't like the PdAg nib paired with the 14K snorkel tube. 

P17E0At.jpg

It would have just been a straight matter of swapping nib units and re-aligning the tube to them, but the two snorkels were a different generation of production in which the collars were not the same depth, so I had to swap the nibs themselves. 

YqqDv9d.png

It wasn't too difficult for me just required a fair bit of patience because I knew of the risks involved in getting that Triumph style nib off.

Regarding punching a hole in a TD Feed, I know you can transplant a TD TM nib over, but the feed is a much longer deal (which I have out on a Touchdown Sentinel Deluxe). I would say no because the tail of the feed is a lot longer at the end than the Snorkel's. I'll get some comparative pictures later if you're curious. For my purposes I'll need to transplant the nib, leaving the original feeds to the pens. 

Interesting... I've had nibs come off while attempting to get the nib/feed unit out for point gasket replacement, which is why I've had to "re-clock" them to the feed before.

I'd never actually done a full extraction of a TD feed in a Triumph nib pen, I was sort of assuming that ebonite rod (with the feed channel) just completed a circuit back to the ink sac and that the feed could plausibly be identical to the snorkel version, with the differences all being in the section (which would then just be solid aside from that hole for the feed tube, since there's no "x" channel for the snorkel unit to move in). 

David-

45 minutes ago, awa54 said:

Interesting... I've had nibs come off while attempting to get the nib/feed unit out for point gasket replacement, which is why I've had to "re-clock" them to the feed before.

I'd never actually done a full extraction of a TD feed in a Triumph nib pen, I was sort of assuming that ebonite rod (with the feed channel) just completed a circuit back to the ink sac and that the feed could plausibly be identical to the snorkel version, with the differences all being in the section (which would then just be solid aside from that hole for the feed tube, since there's no "x" channel for the snorkel unit to move in). 

Touchdown TM vs Snorkel feed

WKlm2Mn.jpg

HjIAVwZ.jpg

hStXklA.jpg

1 hour ago, KBeezie said:

Touchdown TM vs Snorkel feed

WKlm2Mn.jpg

HjIAVwZ.jpg

hStXklA.jpg

Thanks for that!

It must only be the open nib version that has the inserted tube of ebonite that looks much like the core of a snorkel then...

I've been working on Japanese pens almost exclusively for the last few years, apparently my memory of the Sheaffer line has gotten a bit muddled :P

David-