What Was Your Last Impulsive Pen Acquisition?

lgbpinho

20 minutes ago, como said:

@carola These are indeed two beautiful Omas you have, congratulations! 

Thank you, como.

The 360 was part of a set of three once, with a Paragon and an Ogiva of the same colour. There were just 90 of those sets produced, mine carries the number 04/90. So if anyone has the Paragon or the Ogiva with the same number, we could have some kind of family reunion. 😉

• Replies 6.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• inkstainedruth

• A Smug Dill

• Misfit

• essayfaire

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

23 hours ago, awa54 said:

So.... how do you like it?

I got mine on sale for a similar price ($125?) from Endless a while back, I had wanted an EF, but they were out, so I went with OB.

Thank you for asking. So far I find that I'm ok with it, kind of. Though a bit beefier than I prefer, it is manageable. Actually, it seems to be shorter than I expected (I don't post). My biggest disappointment is with the nib. I got an XF (and I have to trust that's what's in in) and it, like all modern nibs, IPG especially, writes much wider and has less character than I prefer. However, in that regard I was glad to not experience any evidence of a nib sweet spot that so many claim about the 2k, and I've been able to coax a bit of line variation out of it by rotating the nib when I write. Time will tell though. I should experiment with some drier inks and possibly even consider if a nib grind would be worthwhile, barring which I surely would be able to recoup my cost by passing it on.  In all I'm pretty much pleased to have it.

"What? What's that? WHAT?!!! SPEAK UP, I CAN'T HEAR YOU!!" - Ludwig van Beethoven.

5 hours ago, gweimer1 said:

This is a Conklin flameglow.

I can't find that listed anywhere(including FPN) so resin, I'm guessing?

Festina lente

Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence

1 hour ago, essayfaire said:

I can't find that listed anywhere(including FPN) so resin, I'm guessing?

It's vintage, so I would guess celluloid.

1 hour ago, gweimer1 said:

Dare I show these?  My interests have expanded to the dark side.

Pencils_1.thumb.JPG.7cbc600950ce23fe2e526950104fd913.JPG

I love those pencils shaped like the third one from the left. I have always refrained from buying one as I hardly use pencils and I already have four vintage pencils matching some pens, so alas, buying a lovely pencil like that would be truly pointless for me. But I do love looking at them.

But what is the huge red and silver thing on the right?

5 hours ago, carola said:

I love those pencils shaped like the third one from the left. I have always refrained from buying one as I hardly use pencils and I already have four vintage pencils matching some pens, so alas, buying a lovely pencil like that would be truly pointless for me. But I do love looking at them.

I'm assuming the "Dark Side" is mechanical pencils?

Those Eversharp propelling pencils are amazing... they *can* wear out or break, but it's uncommon. The red and woodgrain hard rubber finishes are my favorites.

David-

So many restoration projects...

Matches my ring! The pen writes very well for a steel nib. It is absolutely gorgeous. The ring was my grandfathers. He wore it during the second great war. It has two horseshoes on the sides for good luck. I've worn it for years. 

IMG_0960.jpg

12 minutes ago, 65brix said:

Matches my ring! The pen writes very well for a steel nib. It is absolutely gorgeous. The ring was my grandfathers. He wore it during the second great war. It has two horseshoes on the sides for good luck. I've worn it for years. 

IMG_0960.jpg

That's very cool, and quite special! Enjoy your new pen and perfect match!

44 minutes ago, 65brix said:

IMG_0960.jpg

That's fantastic!! Hope you enjoy writing with that beautiful pen!

Co-founded the Netherlands Pen Club. DM me if you would like to know about our meetups and join our Discord!

Currently attempting to collect the history of Diplomat pens.

18 hours ago, carola said:

That is a stockbroker pencil.  I need to figure out what to load it with, and how to use it.  I use a checking pencil for my grocery list.

On 1/26/2022 at 5:28 PM, carola said:

Thank you, como.

The 360 was part of a set of three once, with a Paragon and an Ogiva of the same colour. There were just 90 of those sets produced, mine carries the number 04/90. So if anyone has the Paragon or the Ogiva with the same number, we could have some kind of family reunion. 😉

Unfortunately I don’t have. I remember they were quite exclusive. With a large community here, someone else may be able to surprise you. 🙂

On 1/26/2022 at 3:37 PM, gweimer1 said:

Dare I show these?  My interests have expanded to the dark side.

Pencils_1.thumb.JPG.7cbc600950ce23fe2e526950104fd913.JPG

I think there's a separate thread or two for these! ;) 

I wouldn't call it the dark side; it's not as if your showing a collection of different banks throw away pens each with their own unique tagline; that would be the dark side.

Festina lente

On 1/27/2022 at 4:37 AM, gweimer1 said:

the dark side.

Mechanical pencils are OK, they're the pencil equivalent of a fountain pen - many kinds of pretty on the outside, long history and (usually) a choice of fill.

The dark side has ball points. And their ham-fisted users making furrows in the paper as they write.

Will work for pens... :unsure:

17 hours ago, 65brix said:

IMG_0960.jpg

There's a thread about matching watches and pens.  Maybe we need to expand to other types of jewelry.  That's an uncanny match.  Well done!

Festina lente

I found an online retailer today that has modern pre-owned pens for sale (as distinct from vintage pens), and I found something I've been looking for, a black MK II Parker Centennial, at a decent price. So I bought it on the spot. 

I'm not doing very well on "no new pens in 2022" but what the hell. 

5 hours ago, AmandaW said:

Mechanical pencils are OK, they're the pencil equivalent of a fountain pen - many kinds of pretty on the outside, long history and (usually) a choice of fill.

The dark side has ball points. And their ham-fisted users making furrows in the paper as they write.

3 hours ago, Paul-in-SF said:

I'm not doing very well on "no new pens in 2022" but what the hell. 

Two statements I can second from the depth of my heart. 😂

22 hours ago, gweimer1 said:

That is a stockbroker pencil.  I need to figure out what to load it with, and how to use it.  I use a checking pencil for my grocery list.

If it's like the thick lead marking pencils, then standard drafting leads (2mm) fit, you just have to remove the little metal clip at the end before loading.

I have early 1900s thick lead pencils from Sheaffer and Eversharp, they're nice to write with, but I think they were intended to fill the role of a Sharpie.

David-

So many restoration projects...

Last impulsive aquisition was a Pilot Falcon SEF, and after finding it extremely dry and scratchy, I whipped out a whetstone and ground it to an early grave.

There´s no way this nib is ever going to draw ink. It´s a complete disaster, and maybe I´ll replace it with a SF to see if that works better for me...