What Was Your Last Impulsive Pen Acquisition?

lgbpinho

7 hours ago, Arcticart said:

I'm usually not one for impulse purchases, but when I saw this pop up on Stilo & Stile and I just had to have it.

Sailor.jpg

That's beautiful!  I can see why you jumped on it.   Your demonstration matches the pen so nicely, too!

Festina lente

Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence

• Replies 6.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• inkstainedruth

• A Smug Dill

• Misfit

• essayfaire

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

1 hour ago, agaric said:

edit: oh, I just reread the question and it was asking about the difference in the written forms. Yeah, this story

@agaric, no worries and thanks for the good anecdote. I was indeed asking about the written forms, but understanding the spoken language(s) is also very important. 

The Broad TWISBI Eco in Lilac I will purchase tomorrow to get free shipping on converters I decide I should have around, thanks to some input earlier this month from @ASmugDill.  If I don't like the broad I will send it to Mark Bacas to get ground into something else.  Trying to have some different nib types around and thought this might be nice for my sparkly inks, of which I have only a few.

Festina lente

Just now, an Aiken Lambert Skywriter (by Waterman's, I think), in a golden-brown striated celluloid, with an A.L.C. nib. Just trolling through eBay and there it was at what seems like a bargain price, even if I (probably) have to clean it up and replace the sac. 

Here's a photo from the listing:

140407647_AikenLambertSkywriter.thumb.jpg.4393f9a98bfb92dfd3a89f46c382f4ab.jpg

Some quick potato quality pics from my Phone.

Leonardo Essenza with #8 nib.  It's the same size as a Grande MZ.  This one is stacked Japanese Ebonite with a Blue feed.

IMG_20220124_181315743.thumb.jpg.08ae6f73ffaae023ceb19aa41764a3c3.jpgIMG_20220124_181321539.thumb.jpg.0de960f38ba0394b7bb62f6a9b20ef29.jpgIMG_20220124_181410571.thumb.jpg.acd5c08f828690e23657be8c81e57a61.jpg

1 hour ago, mauckcg said:

Some quick potato quality pics from my Phone.

Leonardo Essenza with #8 nib.  It's the same size as a Grande MZ.  This one is stacked Japanese Ebonite with a Blue feed.

IMG_20220124_181315743.thumb.jpg.08ae6f73ffaae023ceb19aa41764a3c3.jpgIMG_20220124_181321539.thumb.jpg.0de960f38ba0394b7bb62f6a9b20ef29.jpgIMG_20220124_181410571.thumb.jpg.acd5c08f828690e23657be8c81e57a61.jpg

Woah, who sells that? Special or Limited Edition? Since you posted this I have been looking but not finding. 

46 minutes ago, Paul-in-SF said:

Woah, who sells that? Special or Limited Edition? Since you posted this I have been looking but not finding. 

Leonardo's website under special editions.  They have put up very limited runs there before.  I'm not sure how many were made, the listing was taken down pretty quickly.

It's not a pen, but hopefully one of my desk pens will fit (or some  other pen I will need help from you guys to choose). It was certainly impulsive... I just ordered it from the far side of the planet after going: yes, no, yes, no, yes, no... for longer than any sane person would. It's so cute. Clearing a spot for it on my desk right now.

The little doggie reminds me of a dog that we had the pleasure to care for from puppyhood to... He got to 14. His name was Jack. I hadn't thought about that til just now  Darned onions. OK, glad I did this.

large.pen_stand.jpg.033ef552c3deb6023714336bdcd8828d.jpg

Will work for pens... :unsure:

31 minutes ago, AmandaW said:

It's not a pen, but hopefully one of my desk pens will fit (or some  other pen I will need help from you guys to choose). It was certainly impulsive... I just ordered it from the far side of the planet after going: yes, no, yes, no, yes, no... for longer than any sane person would. It's so cute. Clearing a spot for it on my desk right now.

The little doggie reminds me of a dog that we had the pleasure to care for from puppyhood to... He got to 14. His name was Jack. I hadn't thought about that til just now  Darned onions. OK, glad I did this.

Oh, but it is so very cute!! 💛

Co-founded the Netherlands Pen Club. DM me if you would like to know about our meetups and join our Discord!

Currently attempting to collect the history of Diplomat pens.

My latest impulse buy was a Lamy 2k. Endless Pens had a black Friday sale ($110. shipped), so I quickly got word to Santa, and shazam, there it was under the tree Xmas morning!

I've long looked for a modern styled pen and the Lamy 2k always comes up when I ask for suggestions. Never mind that it's a 60 year old pen based on a design concepts from the 30s, it's still billed as a modern design. So I had to see what the hype was all about (I had doubts that it was thicker than I prefer), and a good price helped a lot.   

"What? What's that? WHAT?!!! SPEAK UP, I CAN'T HEAR YOU!!" - Ludwig van Beethoven.

3 hours ago, AmandaW said:

Often these desk pen bases have the maker's information on the bottom, if so you'll at least have a guess as to which pens could fit well.

David-

So many restoration projects...

6 hours ago, AmandaW said:

Very nice and I hope you have good memories of Jack every time you look at it.

3 hours ago, Biber said:

My latest impulse buy was a Lamy 2k. Endless Pens had a black Friday sale ($110. shipped), so I quickly got word to Santa, and shazam, there it was under the tree Xmas morning!

I've long looked for a modern styled pen and the Lamy 2k always comes up when I ask for suggestions. Never mind that it's a 60 year old pen based on a design concepts from the 30s, it's still billed as a modern design. So I had to see what the hype was all about (I had doubts that it was thicker than I prefer), and a good price helped a lot.   

So.... how do you like it?

I got mine on sale for a similar price ($125?) from Endless a while back, I had wanted an EF, but they were out, so I went with OB.

David-

So many restoration projects...

Well, I did it again.  This came up at a local auction, and I decided to go for it.  I was surprised when I won it.

Conklin_Flameglow.JPG

Conklin_Flameglow_2.JPG

2 hours ago, gweimer1 said:

Well, I did it again.  This came up at a local auction, and I decided to go for it.  I was surprised when I won it.

Conklin_Flameglow.JPG

Conklin_Flameglow_2.JPG

Gee, I ordered a Kaweco Sport to replace my broken new fridge pen, but I wish my last impulsive acquisition were something as handsome as this Conklin!  Is it wood, or made to look like wood?

Festina lente

113638227_WhatsAppImage2022-01-25at21_44_55.thumb.jpeg.c08a5946386f72e2eb9a612228827c04.jpeg

This is Kanwrite -Legacy.. There was a review of this pen, made by Kanpur Writers, India and i was immediately attracted. This is an acrylic version, though plastic and ebonite models are available too. this is a well made pen, though had to face the wrath of my spouse for unmindful spending :) 

11 hours ago, essayfaire said:

Gee, I ordered a Kaweco Sport to replace my broken new fridge pen, but I wish my last impulsive acquisition were something as handsome as this Conklin!  Is it wood, or made to look like wood?

This is a Conklin flameglow.

And now that my Omas 360 90th Anniversary Icons Grigio Perla (2015) has arrived, I have tried to take some pictures - the best I could get with my cell phone and fading daylight. I decided to take those pictures together with its cousin, an Omas 556/S Brevetto in Grigio Perla from the 1950s and had to realize, those two Grigio Perla celluloids are two completely different animals.

20220126_160038.jpg

20220126_160305.jpg

20220126_162844.jpg

In the 1950s Grigio Perla, the grey parts have a somewhat softer hue and also the pattern is softer and rounder, like silk. The modern Grigio Perla is a lot harder and colder colourwise with the pattern being a lot more edgy and angular.

Two beautiful pens, but if I had to decide on one of the celluloids, I would probably choose the older one.