What Was Your Last Impulsive Pen Acquisition?

lgbpinho

spacer.png

"When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick; and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin

• Replies 6.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• inkstainedruth

• A Smug Dill

• Misfit

• essayfaire

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

On 11/23/2021 at 9:56 AM, Sharad Pratap said:

Luxor made Parker pens in India are garbage .

I have two Luxor-made Parker frontiers, and a Luxor-made Parker Vector.
All of mine are at least as well-made as my Newhaven-made Parker Frontier & Vector. In fact, I think that my Luxor Frontiers are actually better-made than my Newhaven Frontier, because they didn't come with the rubbery coating on the grip section, which eventually peels-off patchily, and unattractively.

All of my Luxor-made Parkers are entirely-steel-bodied pens. So maybe their QC is better on those than on the plastic-bodied offerings?

Foul in clear conditions, but handsome in the fog.

mini-postcard-exc.png

That's good to know, Mercian.  There are a couple of interesting designs that I've only seen on the Luxor-made Vectors, but have held off because of having to order them through eBay vendors in India (the "time zone" design one in particular is kind of cool).

Most of my Vectors are UK production, with the exception of the purple one (reissued French production from a couple of years ago) and a couple of NOS US production ones, still in the blister pack when I got them, but lost one (the 3 color "Geometric").

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

2 hours ago, mizgeorge said:

Pretty! 

Great shot too :)

Aw, thanks MG. Just a guy with some pens and a phone cam. Always fun and sometimes it works out.

1 hour ago, AmandaW said:

Wow. What's that? Definitely pretty.

That is a semi-bespoke (i.e. small run) pen, sourced through Lucky Star Pens. The pen maker, who I think only displays at pen shows, used to turn pens for Franklin-Christoph. I put the black Bock nib in there, well, just because.

"When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick; and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin

10 hours ago, JonSzanto said:

That is a semi-bespoke (i.e. small run) pen, sourced through Lucky Star Pens. The pen maker, who I think only displays at pen shows, used to turn pens for Franklin-Christoph. I put the black Bock nib in there, well, just because.

Well it's lovely - I like the look of both material and design and would give it deskspace in a heartbeat! The black nib is an excellent finishing touch! 

And it takes more than luck to get a great shot with a phonecam ;)

@Mercian - hmmm....that's interesting. My vector ss ct and frontier ss gt both lasted me years before my hands outgrew their size . But the plastic vectors,and standard beta pens and even plastic jotter ballpoints are of horrendous quality. And their inks in india are of just passable quality only.

2 hours ago, carola said:

😵 Look at those stripes! Want want want want want...

I think I am missing something. Can't find info on this pen name/model.

I like the looks though.

“Don't put off till tomorrow what you can do today, because if you do it today and like it, you can do again tomorrow!”

2 hours ago, carola said:

😵 Look at those stripes! Want want want want want...

Just don't ever leave it lying on top of your favourite 1960s Bridget Riley painting, eh? 😉

Foul in clear conditions, but handsome in the fog.

mini-postcard-exc.png

3 minutes ago, Gloucesterman said:

I think I am missing something. Can't find info on this pen name/model.

It is not a pen that is in regular production. A one-person pen venture, Lucky Star Pens, had a few made up and offered through their Instagram feed. I think it is as close to a one-off, bespoke pen as they come. I think Lauren, the owner, may have referred to them as "Lucky Stripes". 

~ Benjamin Franklin

18 minutes ago, JonSzanto said:

It is not a pen that is in regular production. A one-person pen venture, Lucky Star Pens, had a few made up and offered through their Instagram feed. I think it is as close to a one-off, bespoke pen as they come. I think Lauren, the owner, may have referred to them as "Lucky Stripes". 

thank you for the updated information.

Quite nice looking.

“Don't put off till tomorrow what you can do today, because if you do it today and like it, you can do again tomorrow!”

Kaweco Perkeo Calligraphy Set - Blue

Lamy Safari Fountain Pen - Yellow
NIB CHANGE
Size 1.1mm

FREE GIFT - Parker Urban Ballpoint Pen - Fashion Silver Chrome Trim

£0.00
Just placed the order for these 2 on Online Pen Co - comes with a free gift of a Parker Ball point -  and a bottle of Robert Oster Bronze from Cult Pens which has no freebie attached!

Once they arrive in stock at Appelboom, I've got a Visconti Homo Sapiens Bronze Age (ef) and Pelikan M1000 Green Stripe (b) coming to me. They'll be my last two pens for a good long while, if ever, and while I'm being a good girl about waiting for them to get here I can't deny that the excitement js getting to me! ⚔😍

Edited by MissCellany
Editing spelling as I haven't finished my morning tea yet

An Optima Viola, from the S. Korean seller I got the Yellow 366 from.

It's hard work to tell which is Old Harry when everybody's got boots on.

Impulsive in that I wasn't sure until the last minute in the auction whether I was going to bid. 

Montblanc 22 and Montblanc 342. Recently a Montblanc 24, and a Parker Duofold Lucky Curve Big Red (Senior, I guess). All of them still in transit. 

Its happened again. Third time in a month. Yet another order cancelled because, you know, "no stock", even though there was when I ordered and paid. They said "instant refund"  but it's going to take the usual up to a week to actually get it. :angry:

So I went to Cult's website and ordered all the colours left to complete my Perkeo collection, three J.Herbin inks and their new exclusive Robert Oster Tiverton Rust. Yeah, that's an Australian ink  ordered from the UK to come back to Australia!

Is that impulsive enough? Why don't I feel better yet?

Will work for pens... :unsure:

Pelikan M805 Blue Dunes with B nib.

I have seen it lying around at my local pen and paper shop for two years now. They offer a 20 % discount on one item of your choice in December every year and - as everything is closed down in lockdown - they also offer a "call us, we´ll put your stuff together, you come over, knock at the door, we open it for you so you can pay and collect your stuff" service. I got some play money at work I can only spend in the town where I am working. The Pelikan 500 set I impulse bought on ebay a month ago is apparently STILL lying around at a post office somewhere in Spain.

So... I said, dang it, and bought that Blue Dunes today.