What Was Your Last Impulsive Pen Acquisition?

lgbpinho

My FPD impulse buy finally arrived today! I used the discount to get a limited edition for my collection, but because I wanted a gold nib on it (what's an LE w/o a gold nib? 😉) and the distributor didn't have one in stock, the 2-4 day expected delivery did turn into 2 weeks due to a tour of Northern Europe, apparently. But fair is fair: props to Couronne for chasing the order, calling me to explain the situation, and getting it to me as quickly as they did!

Co-founded the Netherlands Pen Club. DM me if you would like to know about our meetups and join our Discord!

Currently attempting to collect the history of Diplomat pens.

• Replies 6.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• inkstainedruth

• A Smug Dill

• Misfit

• essayfaire

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

52 minutes ago, gweimer1 said:

This one.  Not a complete impulse buy, but I went all in for it.

That is one of the C-S cassein pens, right? Looks to be in remarkable condition, congrats.

"When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick; and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin

30 minutes ago, JonSzanto said:

That is one of the C-S cassein pens, right? Looks to be in remarkable condition, congrats.

I don't think the CS 22 is casein.  The CS 15 is, and I have a couple of those.  I even had to repair a split cap with Elmer's glue.

The CS 22 has some sort of overlay.  I'm not sure how it was done, but there is an obvious seam in the floral pattern.

On 11/18/2021 at 11:00 PM, Sharad Pratap said:

Recently bought a Waterman Expert . It wasn't avalable in fine so I got it in a medium point. I paid ₹7000\- for it . I am a student and this was my most expensive pen yet. I was thoroughly disappointed. Medium nib wrote like a true thick broad. It also had a very pronounced baby bottom issue. The feedback I recieved from the nib while writing was very weird. And lastly it didn't work at all with my dry inks ( I only use dry inks for writing on cheaper paper - pelikan 4001 blue-black and bril blue). Couldn't return it back because I bought it while I was traveling. Decided to sell it or just give it away to any of my cousin or something. But after a few days I just got so mad at its poor performance that I just just destroyed it very thoroughly - took out the nib and feed and destroyed them one by one,then destroyed the converter,then destroyed the cap,barrel and the plastic section with the help of a plas. Then I put it back in the box and threw it away in the nearby garbage pond. Though I lost ₹7000\- I am not that sad ( I actually enjoyed the satisfaction I received while destroying it) and I learned a good lesson too....Don't buy things on impulse. 

Maybe I should start a new thread - ' What pen made you so mad that you just straight away destroyed it to kingdom come ?'😅

Funny. I have an Expert that wrote so dry I started fiddling with the nib and ultimately bent it out of shape. Everything you write about the pen is true. A disappointment.

"If you can spend a perfectly useless afternoon in a perfectly useless manner, you have learned how to live."

– Lin Yu-T'ang

On 11/20/2021 at 4:58 PM, gweimer1 said:

This one.  Not a complete impulse buy, but I went all in for it.

Conway_Stewart_22.thumb.JPG.3a6f4bc9d0f2bfae2fd752413b21f84f.JPG

That's beautiful in a stately, Doric-column kind of way!  I've always been afraid of buying such light colored pens as I like dark inks and know easily-visible color differentials between different parts of a pen would drive me up a wall.

Festina lente

Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence

1 hour ago, Calabria said:

Funny. I have an Expert that wrote so dry I started fiddling with the nib and ultimately bent it out of shape. Everything you write about the pen is true. A disappointment.

Be careful.  There are three different versions of the Waterman Expert.  You can't with a broad stroke give them all a bad name and still be accurate.

I bought a brand new Expert II about three years ago and I like it a lot.  It is dry so I use Pilot Irosikuzu. 

Dan Kalish

Fountain Pens: Pelikan Souveran M805, Pelikan Petrol-Marble M205, Santini Libra Cumberland, Waterman Expert II, Waterman Phileas, Waterman Kultur, Stipula Splash, Sheaffer Sagaris, Sheaffer Prelude, Osmiroid 65

A Parker Duofold Slim with factory stub nib.

image.thumb.png.9301c46c7206edeebeccd63c41577d31.png

Brad

"Words are, of course, the most powerful drug used by mankind" - Rudyard Kipling
"None of us can have as many virtues as the fountain-pen, or half its cussedness; but we can try." - Mark Twain

image.thumb.png.3766cbb59cd0738ccaf3a4c405599c60.png

Brad

"Words are, of course, the most powerful drug used by mankind" - Rudyard Kipling
"None of us can have as many virtues as the fountain-pen, or half its cussedness; but we can try." - Mark Twain

Black Friday is early...  a Pilot Custom 91, black with rhodium trim and a medium nib. My first Japanese medium.

Will work for pens... :unsure:

22 minutes ago, AmandaW said:

Black Friday is early...  a Pilot Custom 91, black with rhodium trim and a medium nib. My first Japanese medium.

That really does sound impulsive!

I endeavour to be frank and truthful in what I write, show or otherwise present, when I relate my first-hand experiences that are not independently verifiable; and link to third-party content where I can, when I make a claim or refute a statement of fact in a thread. If there is something you can verify for yourself, I entreat you to do so, and judge for yourself what is right, correct, and valid. I may be wrong, and my position or say-so is no more authoritative and carries no more weight than anyone else's here.

35 minutes ago, AmandaW said:

I have one in <SM>, I think it's my favorite modern Pilot, both aesthetically and functionally.

David-

So many restoration projects...

1 hour ago, AmandaW said:

It was a pretty good price. There appears to be another with a B nib for any Australians looking for a bargain.

Will work for pens... :unsure:

That Red Auroloide Optima sure is pretty. I took a gander at Iguanasell, where I got the Mini - ouch! Thought to check Goldspot, they had it for $85 less. Be a shame to pass that up ...

Meanwhile, have to run in to work to pick up the Yellow 365 that was delivered today. Good thing none of the other colors really interest me.

It's hard work to tell which is Old Harry when everybody's got boots on.

@calabria - yeah....a disappointment indeed. Mine was made in India by luxor I think. Maybe luxor doesn't have good QC. Luxor made Parker pens in India are garbage .

@ A Smug Dill - A gold nib!....that must have been expensive.

This is the reason why I am weary of expensive pens....fear of recieving a lemon.

I just bought a Monteverde Prima series turquoise to replace our missing fridge pen.  Pen Chalet's Black Friday sales have started early.

Then I went ahead and impulsively placed a second order for what I said I wasn't going to because I had InkDrops to cash out -  Pilot Iro Ina-ho(because who knows, I could use up my bottle and then I wouldn't be able to procure any more as it is being discontinued.)  

Festina lente

A Pilot Vanishing Point with a conservative colour scheme to use as one in my EDC rotation.  I've never used one as an EDC and  my current workflow does require frequent short notes.  I've already grown impatient with a screw on cap for this.  I therefore have two EDC's at the moment, a slip cap for quick notes and a screw on cap that I can use otherwise as I wish.

37 minutes ago, maclink said:

A Pilot Vanishing Point with a conservative colour scheme to use as one in my EDC rotation.

Good choice!  Sounds thoughtful, not impulsive. ;)

Festina lente