What Was Your Last Impulsive Pen Acquisition?

lgbpinho

Ok, I just made an impulsive pen purchase... kinda. I had one pen auction where I had set a snipe, and then there was another pen that was up for either bidding or a BIN price. I told myself if I didn't win the auction with my maximum bid, I'd buy the other pen right then.

I won the auction, but for less than expected, so I treated myself to the other pen! Do I wait until I have them to post pics, or ??? BTW, if you gag at the sight of vintage pens, look away at the appropriate time. These aren't new/current items. 😎

"When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick; and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin

• Replies 6.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• inkstainedruth

• A Smug Dill

• Misfit

• essayfaire

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

On 9/28/2021 at 1:39 PM, AmandaW said:

Have ordered a Sailor Profit Casual in black with a steel zoom nib. Peering at the picture I think it has gold coloured nib and trim, but not entirely sure because most of the text was in Chinese. I will be happy either way, I have wanted a zoom nib for a very long time so it's not really impulsive.

That honour goes to the Platinum Meteor in pale green that got into the cart too. 😁

Well that was that. Order cancelled and refunded cos the vendor didn't actually have it in stock. So I look at the options and almost decide a Pro Gear Slim with the Zoom nib if I can find a colour I like. Not much choice out there. Days go by. So maybe I save a little and get a Boring Black? Sleep on it. Then this morning I get my Blueberry one out of the pen drawer and find it has totally dried out. Powder in the cartridge. After only a few months. In winter. :gaah:

So now I really need to do something impulsive. Something that doesn't dry out. With an interesting nib. Help.

Will work for pens... :unsure:

15 minutes ago, AmandaW said:

Then this morning I get my Blueberry one out of the pen drawer and find it has totally dried out. Powder in the cartridge. After only a few months. In winter. :gaah:

So now I really need to do something impulsive. Something that doesn't dry out.

A pen that has been out-of-use for months and has not had some form of evaporation is a very, very tall order. Obviously, it depends the ink, the ambient environment and most certainly the design of the pen, but keeping your expectations within reason is always a way to make your life a bit better. The Platinum 3776 line is one option, though I am certain that some of mine have lost ink after months. You mention a PG Slim, but do take note (if you don't already know) that the PG Realo line has a similar, spring-loaded inner cap, which really reduces evaporation and ink loss. I have one special one that is always inked with Namiki blue, used for correspondence, and I don't think I actively notice it losing ink, though I do use it regularly. It has a wonderful nib, but partly because John Mottishaw did the italic dance on the tip.

Good luck!

"When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick; and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin

4 hours ago, AmandaW said:

So now I really need to do something impulsive. Something that doesn't dry out. With an interesting nib. Help.

Dare I suggest a Sailor pen with a Naginata Concord or Naginata Fude de Mannen nib (but I know you're probably a bit wary of Sailor's Fude nibs now)? It'll set you back more than a pretty penny these days, though.

I endeavour to be frank and truthful in what I write, show or otherwise present, when I relate my first-hand experiences that are not independently verifiable; and link to third-party content where I can, when I make a claim or refute a statement of fact in a thread. If there is something you can verify for yourself, I entreat you to do so, and judge for yourself what is right, correct, and valid. I may be wrong, and my position or say-so is no more authoritative and carries no more weight than anyone else's here.

12 minutes ago, A Smug Dill said:

you're probably a bit wary of Sailor's Fude nibs now

I love Sailor fude nibs! Especially the ones on their cheap clip less pens (which never dry out) I now have two green, one brown and a blue all filled with different inks for drawing. Hang on, I think it comes pink too and I don't have any pink pens. That would be impulsive. 🤣

34 minutes ago, AmandaW said:

That would be impulsive. 🤣

Only if you buy it within the next 10 seconds. 10... 9... 8... 7... 6 ...5 ..4 ...3 ...2 ...1..... TOO LATE! 

What is this money pit obsession hole I have fallen into? 

My other passion

5 minutes ago, Bikerchick said:

TOO LATE! 

Good!  I don't like pink. 😚

10 hours ago, AmandaW said:

So, I'm not a huge fan of these nibs, but I have found the tiny Kaweco Sport can sit unused in my car for months in the heat of summer and reliably restart when needed.  I'm sure there's been evaporation, but it remains functional.  They make a wide range of nibs for that pen - I ended up sending an EF out to be tuned and am much happier with it now, but it did seem a bit silly to spend money tuning such an inexpensive pen!

@ASmugDill had mentioned Platinums - mine sometimes require a bit of circles on paper but they also tend to restart after sitting around with just a bit of effort.

Festina lente

Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence

On 9/10/2015 at 2:27 PM, ac12 said:

An old Sheaffer school pen, just like the ones I used in grade school.

And the darn thing writes WELL.

After buying a Pelikan Pelikano jr <A>, I am a raging purchasing machine for children's pens with that A nib.

AKA Ichiro Fakename

6 minutes ago, CXC said:

After buying a Pelikan Pelikano jr <A>, I am a raging purchasing machine for children's pens with that A nib.

I went for a Lamy Nexx with that nib. I quite like  it.

3 hours ago, CXC said:

So what's so special about the A nib?  Or is it the lefty version set for lefties?

Festina lente

Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence

2 hours ago, essayfaire said:

So what's so special about the A nib?  Or is it the lefty version set for lefties?

1. The A is short for "anfänger", the German word for "beginner".  So far I have only found this type of nib on German pens.  For ease of use it is a very sturdy nib, with a big round ball of tipping so that there is no sweet spot, writes readily off center and always same width, zero flexibility, and cheap.  Those features also suit this adult.

2. The nib looks very straight, so I think the left/right element is confined to the grip section.  I also believe that the "LH" designation implies the "A" designation as well.

AKA Ichiro Fakename

5 hours ago, NgunnawalJack said:

I went for a Lamy Nexx with that nib. I quite like  it.

I have one on order.  Glad to hear it's good.

AKA Ichiro Fakename

20 hours ago, AmandaW said:

I suppose a Platinum #3776 Century‡ fitted with (Slip & Seal, and) a Soft Medium nib may fit the bill, but SM nib as an option is quite uncommon on Platinum pens outside of limited editions these days. The last time I've seen one offered on a production-line model is on the #3776 Century Oshino.

If I'm not mistaken, once upon a time the Century part of the designation implied that a model is fitted with Slip & Seal; others in the same product line were only ‘branded‘ #3776, e.g. #3776 Briar (with snap-cap), #3776 Celluloid (with screw-cap), and #3776 Balance (with steel nib). However, some time since 2019 Platinum made ‘#3776 Century’ the ‘brand’ for that product line, and now Century no longer implies Slip & Seal.

I endeavour to be frank and truthful in what I write, show or otherwise present, when I relate my first-hand experiences that are not independently verifiable; and link to third-party content where I can, when I make a claim or refute a statement of fact in a thread. If there is something you can verify for yourself, I entreat you to do so, and judge for yourself what is right, correct, and valid. I may be wrong, and my position or say-so is no more authoritative and carries no more weight than anyone else's here.

6 hours ago, NgunnawalJack said:

This one...

IMG_0812.jpg

Interesting ink. What color is it?

“Don't put off till tomorrow what you can do today, because if you do it today and like it, you can do again tomorrow!”

1 minute ago, Gloucesterman said:

Interesting ink. What color is it?

Looks like Diamine Jade Green.

My other passion

3 minutes ago, Bikerchick said:

Looks like Diamine Jade Green.

Thank you for the info. I saw those words, partially, on the written sheet and was unsure as to if it was the name ink and who the producer was.

“Don't put off till tomorrow what you can do today, because if you do it today and like it, you can do again tomorrow!”

2 minutes ago, Gloucesterman said:

Thank you for the info. I saw those words, partially, on the written sheet and was unsure as to if it was the name ink and who the producer was.

I could be wrong though. :)

My other passion