What Was Your Last Impulsive Pen Acquisition?

lgbpinho

3 hours ago, Gloucesterman said:

First I droppa the dry ink in the cartridge, after a which I converta the ink into a liquid and paint onto the paper. Is that clear enuf??

Hi Ruth, I missed you at the Commonwealth Show...

How are you doing?

Me, I'm still somewhat recovering from the stress of that quick turn around trip (although the stuff my husband got out of storage which had been in his mom's house while I was at the show is now out f the back of the van (I wasn't looking forward to having to drive all that stuff to Chicago and back but was even less enthralled with the possibility of another short in the wiring on the Prius while I was many hours away from home (too far for it to have been towed for free....).  So while I *could* probably have made it out to the Chicago show in a day, I decided to err on the side of caution and spent several hours tramping around an antiques mall near Toledo, and have made it into Indiana and will drive the rest of the way (possibly stopping at SMALLER antiques places en route) tomorrow.  And then likely do something similar on the way home -- and also stay off the Indiana Toll Road and the Ohio Turnpike as much as humanly possible as well; I had trouble a couple of times with the EZ-Pass transponder at toll plazas this afternoon, plus there were a LOT of construction zones (and it looks as if I'd been hitting the same zones only eastbound on the way home...).  I might have made it even further, but didn't get much sleep last night but was still out the door around 8 AM -- so probably going to be crashing in a little while (the bottoms of my feet are in screaming pain after all that walking -- and the place wasn't NEARLY as big as Heart of Ohio, in the Springfield, OH area but I was still on my feet for around 3-1/2 hours...).  And then was on the road for about 3 hours after that. :(

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

• Replies 6.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• inkstainedruth

• A Smug Dill

• Misfit

• essayfaire

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

4 hours ago, Gloucesterman said:

How well does the wood stand up to moisture, hand oils and other ingredients over time? I may be looking at a very nice wooden pen soon and I don't know what to look for or even what to ask. Definitely open to advice and insights.

Going backwards, of the people making wooden pens these days, and just of the ones I've been able to examine, I think that Ryan Krusac (US) and Stylo-Art Karuizawa (JP) are producing the most handsome pens. SA may be hard to source, as their website isn't too easy when translated into English, and doesn't show a lot of photos easily; however, they do have a nice Instagram feed if you search for them. Ryan you can easily source on the web. The caveat, of course, is that these pens are best picked out in person, due to the variations in wood. RK is easy to deal with, so maybe he'd take photos before purchase.

As to moisture, RK seals the wood carefully, mostly with oils (I think). I asked him about care, and he said that occasional use will put enough oils into the wood to keep it in good order, but also suggested essential oils or a good wood oil product would be fine, in small amounts. About once a year I put a little bit of orange oil on it and give it a light buffing by hand, but it never gathers dirt or seems to change in any way. To the eye is it as stable as any of my pens, but I don't use it on a daily basis for hours on end. HTH

"When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick; and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin

My impulsive Sailor Shikiori Tsukuyo-no-Minamo Yodaki has arrived to adorn my impulsive tiny desk by the window and *surprise* there was a converter in the box even though the Cult Pens listing does say "converter (supplied separately)".

And it's so pretty, even in the soft late afternoon sun, it glows. It's going to be amazing in the morning when the sun is on this side of the house. :wub:

sailor_shikiori-yodaki.jpg.ffa23a1744dfd93e277f0b4839c32cd8.jpg

Will work for pens... :unsure:

2 hours ago, AmandaW said:

My impulsive Sailor Shikiori Tsukuyo-no-Minamo Yodaki has arrived to adorn my impulsive tiny desk by the window and *surprise* there was a converter in the box even though the Cult Pens listing does say "converter (supplied separately)".

And it's so pretty, even in the soft late afternoon sun, it glows. It's going to be amazing in the morning when the sun is on this side of the house. :wub:

I didn't see this picture. Nope. Didn't see it at all. Definitely not. 

What is this money pit obsession hole I have fallen into? 

My other passion

4 minutes ago, Bikerchick said:

I didn't see this picture. Nope. Didn't see it at all. Definitely not.

:D

Will work for pens... :unsure:

10 hours ago, AmandaW said:

:D

WHAT pictures???????????? LOL

“Don't put off till tomorrow what you can do today, because if you do it today and like it, you can do again tomorrow!”

On 9/30/2021 at 1:21 AM, AmandaW said:

Ah, red. :thumbup:  That's the same way I felt when I received my M205 Star Ruby - so pretty. Grats to you.

It's hard work to tell which is Old Harry when everybody's got boots on.

On 8/24/2021 at 7:33 PM, maclink said:

I'd love to see the writing sample when you get it.

Here:

https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/topic/362856-robert-oster-sydney-lavender-ink-review/

I endeavour to be frank and truthful in what I write, show or otherwise present, when I relate my first-hand experiences that are not independently verifiable; and link to third-party content where I can, when I make a claim or refute a statement of fact in a thread. If there is something you can verify for yourself, I entreat you to do so, and judge for yourself what is right, correct, and valid. I may be wrong, and my position or say-so is no more authoritative and carries no more weight than anyone else's here.

On 9/26/2021 at 7:03 AM, NumberSix said:

A lovely-looking Vac 51 showed up on pen_swap earlier today.

After a quick confirmation that, no, I do not yet have a black Vac 51, I grabbed it. 😜

It helped that I had a little money still in my paypal account from some pens I sold last night. D'oh!

I really ought to keep a spreadsheet or build an Access database or something. . .

Databases are for those that do not mind the data entry chore...

I find it simpler to keep a "pens" directory in my PC and just save any related data into subdirectories for each pen.

I save photos of the pen, copy of the order, copy of the payment bill, other pen related info into the subdirectory.

Most of the info is saved when I first buy the pen, and a few times updated if new info comes up.

Search is not as fast, but if you file by brand name it's not very slow either... (unless you have thousands of pens...)

I've tried the database approach but I never get past the 3rd-4th pen data entry... (excuse the OT)

On 9/29/2021 at 12:58 AM, JonSzanto said:

I finally had a moment to do some quick phone pix of the pen, mostly to show the lovely Buckeye Burl wood. it's like "Starry Night" captured in a tree. 😀 I can't remember the model, I *think* it is an L-14? Anyway, one of the Legend series, not the largest. M nib with Krusac logo:

spacer.png

spacer.png

Congrats, it's extremely nice! is the section resin or ebonite?

1 hour ago, sansenri said:

Congrats, it's extremely nice! is the section resin or ebonite?

I believe it is resin. The section has a matte finish but I can't detect any hard rubber aroma.

"When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick; and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin

4 hours ago, sansenri said:

Databases are for those that do not mind the data entry chore...

I find it simpler to keep a "pens" directory in my PC and just save any related data into subdirectories for each pen.

I save photos of the pen, copy of the order, copy of the payment bill, other pen related info into the subdirectory.

Most of the info is saved when I first buy the pen, and a few times updated if new info comes up.

Search is not as fast, but if you file by brand name it's not very slow either... (unless you have thousands of pens...)

I've tried the database approach but I never get past the 3rd-4th pen data entry... (excuse the OT)

That folder thing sounds like a good idea. I may follow your suggestion. 😃

I used to keep a "collection" list in my bullet journal. But it got too messy because I am always selling off pens to help pay for more pens. 

I was placing an order for a couple of notebooks and some ink when my eye caught this:

image.jpg

At first, I hesitated because it has a metal section, but then I saw this: 

OpNUpjx.png

A semi-flex nib? For 55€? Really? I'll take two! 

There's only one review of this pen, which was positive so that was all it took for me to take the plunge.

My other passion

2 hours ago, Bikerchick said:

I was placing an order for a couple of notebooks and some ink when my eye caught this:

image.jpg

OpNUpjx.png

There's only one review of this pen, which was positive so that was all it took for me to take the plunge.

Looks like a bargain (the blue is pretty too!) I'll be very interested to hear what it's like :)

3 hours ago, Bikerchick said:

image.jpg

OpNUpjx.png

It looks a lot like my Narwhal, which I also bought hesitantly.  I'm very glad I did.  Mine's a Rockfish Red Schylkill; mine's not flex, but I'm picky with writing experience and this was a good pen for me straight out of the box.  Handsome and well-made, too!  No break-in period nor nib meister's assistance was needed.  

Festina lente

Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence

1 hour ago, mizgeorge said:

Looks like a bargain (the blue is pretty too!) I'll be very interested to hear what it's like :)

The blue one is the one I really wanted but it was out of stock, and I didn't want to wait. :) 
You know I'll let you know what I think. ;)

My other passion

54 minutes ago, essayfaire said:

It looks a lot like my Narwhal, which I also bought hesitantly.  I'm very glad I did.  Mine's a Rockfish Red Schylkill; mine's not flex, but I'm picky with writing experience and this was a good pen for me straight out of the box.  Handsome and well-made, too!  No break-in period nor nib meister's assistance was needed.  

I have that same Rockfish Red Schuylkill, bought from the same store as this Puro. It was my fourth Schuylkill, because Narwhal keeps releasing pretty colors and I cannot resist them. :)

Like yours, all wrote well right out of the box. I love their F nibs. Not a fan of the M one though but that's due to personal preference, not because it's a bad nib.

My other passion

1 hour ago, Bikerchick said:

I love their F nibs.

Mine is an F which makes it broader than most of my everyday writers.

Festina lente

Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence