What Was Your Last Impulsive Pen Acquisition?

lgbpinho

That's a pretty pen!  I don't know much (if anything) about Schon DSGN, so I'll be interested in hearing what you think of it -- although I'd worry that I wouldn't be able to find a converter for a pocket pen.

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

• Replies 6.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• inkstainedruth

• A Smug Dill

• Misfit

• essayfaire

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

45 minutes ago, inkstainedruth said:

That's a pretty pen!  I don't know much (if anything) about Schon DSGN, so I'll be interested in hearing what you think of it -- although I'd worry that I wouldn't be able to find a converter for a pocket pen.

I suspect you'd be out of luck there - I have the Kaweco mini-converter somewhere; I'll try it, but I'm more likely to just refill cartridges.

It's really cute. Much smaller (lengthwise) than I was expecting, but plenty big when posted.

Yeah, that's what I was afraid of....

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

I use a Kaweco mini squeeze converter (much better capacity than the little piston version) on mine, but often just use a cartridge - I seem to get so many of these sent to me with various pens, often in really fun colours, and it's a waste not to use them. The one that came with my pocket six was a monteverde purple reign, and I liked it so much I subsequently bought a bottle - which I certainly wouldn't have done otherwise! 

9 hours ago, inkstainedruth said:

That's a pretty pen!  I don't know much (if anything) about Schon DSGN, so I'll be interested in hearing what you think of it

I agree.

@brokenclay looking forward to reading of your experience.

On 8/20/2021 at 10:14 PM, akj782 said:

Earlier today I bought an Edison Newark in Satellite Diamondcast resin. I knew nothing about this pen prior to seeing it come up for sale this morning and I jumped on it just because I really like the way it looks. It was a collaboration between Edison and Goldspot Pens from earlier this year, limited to 76 examples in this particular resin which is made to resemble the earth when viewed from space.

xK69jKD.jpeg

That’s a very cool looking pen. It’s like seeing clouds and oceans. How are you liking the pen?  I love my Edison Beaumont. 

Posted Image

Right now, I looked at the TWSBI website, specifically at the Diamond Mini in white and rose gold. It was available, with the 1.1mm stub nib. 

I checked a few other websites, went back to TWSBI, and started the checkout. When it went to PayPal, I had $10.29 in Cash Back Bonus!  My finger touched the final button, and impulse was served.   

Part of the motivation was from a text to ask when my brother was coming. He texted he would try to make it here by my birthday. He promised he would be here for it. Our Dad died August 16, and I asked him to be here for my birthday in September. That word “try” was grating on me. 

(The TWSBI Diamond Mini in black is nice looking too. Said brother got me the Diamond Mini in Mint Blue for my birthday last year.)

aaugh! In my haste, I didn’t see the nib choice had changed when I went back to the TWSBI site. The gosh darned order is for an EF nib. I don’t like that at all.  I sent an email to ask for a change, but the cost isn’t the same. I could cry. 

Posted Image

@Misfit, deep breaths. It will be ok. I'm sorry that you're feeling let down by your brother, I'm sure that hurts, and I'm so sorry for the loss of your father. It's hard to have  something like that happen close to your birthday. 

TWSBI sent an email that the order was canceled, money refunded. I didn’t expect that on a Sunday. Credit card cash back bonus is never “refunded”. So I lost that. I went ahead and ordered the pen with the right nib. 

I watched an unboxing video of the white and rose gold Diamond Mini. It does look attractive.  When the second version of this pen came out, I looked at it on websites, and wondered why I used to want it. The video helped show why. 

Posted Image

I can’t quite believe I’ve done this but a black Namiki Yukari Royale with BB nib should be with me in 2-3 weeks, to join the recently arrived vermilion (B nib) that is just so perfect it’s become a real favourite. 

Fortunately eBay sent me its best final fees offer on Friday. It expires at midnight on Monday, which gives me one day to take photos and compile listings that (I hope🤞) will recoup the cost of the new pen. 

I love most of the pens I’ve got now but several need to go, so those which edge into “like” instead of “love” will be amongst the listings. There, I feel so much better about ordering another one ☺️!

Ordered a TWSBI Swipe in Prussian Blue yesterday from Goulet along with some Clairefontaine Neo Deco notebooks. Waffled on nib size, ended up ordering a medium. Still not sure it's what I really want. Although my other TWSBI'S (580 and Eco) are a B with a custom grind and a 1.1.

Brad

"Words are, of course, the most powerful drug used by mankind" - Rudyard Kipling
"None of us can have as many virtues as the fountain-pen, or half its cussedness; but we can try." - Mark Twain

Hi @Runnin_Ute I’d love to know what you think of the TWSBI Swipe in Prussian blue once you get it.  That’s the version I would choose, only with the 1.1mm stub nib. Instead I splurged on the  white and rose gold Mini. 

Posted Image

On 7/13/2021 at 1:07 AM, alexwi said:

Hi Wretch,

I was lucky that the Rosetta Explorer doesn't come in other colors.

The nib is a bit on the wetter side for me, but it's a pleasure to write with. Considering how much I like the nib size, the girth of the section, the balance, and its simple yet attentive-to-detail design (ink-level window, secure posting, nice stop at the end of the section), $5 is a ridiculous price for it.

The feed probably holds a gallon of ink - the cartridge is completely dry and this thing's still writing despite having a rather wet nib.

I also just got a Diplomat Esteem MadC and writes very nicely too, but I have to get used to the nib being rather larger than what I'm used to and am tempted to get the Magnum, which reminds me of the Rosetta.

It's a pitty that the other Rosetta models are screw-cap or I'd be following this brand closely.

Thanks for pointing me in this pen's direction!!!

You're welcome.

I've just come back to say that this impulsive purchase, maybe one of the most impulsive purchases of a fountain pen that I've ever made, has really worked out nicely. I bought four of the Rosetta fountain pens, to make the shipping price not be absurd in comparison to the price of the product I was buying, and so I have just finished testing them.

These pens are really very good writers, and they ended up costing under $6 each. So an impulsive purchase need not be a bad thing at all :thumbup:. And I have been back on the wagon since I bought those four pens in June 🖋️.

On a sacred quest for the perfect blue ink mixture!

ink stained wretch filling inkwell

Is it impulsive if one was trying to ignore the discount code since it arrived in one's inbox and then caved in at the last moment before it expired? And the occasion was unplanned, but became the finishing touch on an impulsive project. Thankfully no regret this morning after.

I have made a writing nook by squeezing the smallest desk I could find (sold by Ikea as a dressing table) into the (sort of) bay window so I can look out at the flowers, the morning sun and the dancing mini-beasts instead of staring at the wall on the other side of the room. It has book cases either side, a new suspended light above it and even a little clock suspended on a home-made hanger because the desk is so small I couldn't spare the space for a lamp and clock. The only things sitting on the desk are a coaster for my tea mug and a tiny pen stand. I had intended the pen stand to be empty - a place to put my pen du jour (is that a thing?). But it got to me, how can one have an empty pen stand? Many of my existing pens tried for the permanent role: back lit by the window the opaques all looked black. The gold-hued stand didn't work with silver trimmed pens. The curtain colour excluded many others. And there was the small matter of that discount code.

The solution: a Sailor Shikiori Tsukuyo-no-Minamo Yodaki - a translucent dark red / burgundy. I am hoping the pen will glow like a jewel with the sun shining through it, the colour look well against the roses on the curtain and the gold trim match the stand. And of course an ink to go in it: Diamine Writer's Blood... I write here every morning now, look forward to it and have been getting up an hour earlier to do so. It has lifted my spirits so much I wish I had done it years ago, it would have saved me a lot of procrastination!

window_desk_sm.jpg.3f8e5911e4de84b9dcb77fbd98f8fd06.jpg

Will work for pens... :unsure:

38 minutes ago, AmandaW said:

I can look out at the flowers, the morning sun and the dancing mini-beasts

Your writing nook looks lovely, and I'm sure your new pen will complement it beautifully.

Now inquiring minds want to know...what are the dancing mini-beasts?

30 minutes ago, brokenclay said:

what are the dancing mini-beasts?

Mostly bees and butterflies enjoying the flowers. :wub:

Will work for pens... :unsure:

My second, 'Swan, Mabie Todd' touched down then took right off again! I enjoy using my first one so much I decided to send the latest straight to the same esteemed restorer. I'm hoping it's just a re-sac, a '#2 nib' tweak, a polish and buff and home again!

That would be grand!

vf

πTom

11 hours ago, AmandaW said:

I have made a writing nook by squeezing the smallest desk I could find

Looks great! Just a little envious, my writing nook looks crowded.

image.jpg