What Was Your Last Impulsive Pen Acquisition?

lgbpinho

• Replies 6.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• inkstainedruth

• A Smug Dill

• Misfit

• essayfaire

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

1 hour ago, sirgilbert357 said:

Smug, I'd just like to know how you got in touch with Leonardo at all!!  …‹snip›…

I can't even find Leonardo's corporate website. I see a Facebook page, though...what am I missing??

51 minutes ago, sirgilbert357 said:

Perhaps my "Google-fu" is weak, though.

large.1130243927_HowtofindLeonardoOfficinaItalianasofficialwebsite.jpg.d494e56e01590b87f0a2d8866ae24183.jpg

Once there, go to ‘Exchanges and returns’ via the website's navigation footer, and you will find a contact email address.

I endeavour to be frank and truthful in what I write, show or otherwise present, when I relate my first-hand experiences that are not independently verifiable; and link to third-party content where I can, when I make a claim or refute a statement of fact in a thread. If there is something you can verify for yourself, I entreat you to do so, and judge for yourself what is right, correct, and valid. I may be wrong, and my position or say-so is no more authoritative and carries no more weight than anyone else's here.

4 hours ago, A Smug Dill said:

large.1130243927_HowtofindLeonardoOfficinaItalianasofficialwebsite.jpg.d494e56e01590b87f0a2d8866ae24183.jpg

Once there, go to ‘Exchanges and returns’ via the website's navigation footer, and you will find a contact email address.

It's really incredible that I've searched their name so many ways, along with words like "warranty" or "repair" and never found the main website. Apparently, all I needed was to add the "Italiana" part...sigh. Well, that's embarrassing, but thank you.

Edit: I've sent them a message, along with pictures of the issue. Fingers crossed this gets resolved. I'd like to try out a Momento Magico, but I've been holding off until I get the Momento Zero sorted out.

6 hours ago, sirgilbert357 said:

This is pretty much what I've resigned myself to doing. Perhaps my "Google-fu" is weak, though. I keep forgetting to do anything about the situation...until I open my pen box and see the pen sitting there. I always think "Gee, if I got that fixed, I could use it...". I'm just too busy, so it's never on my radar.

Edit: and because I was finally thinking about it WITH time to spare, I just reached out to a retailer. We'll see...

That sounds like the best strategy. imho, of course. Please keeps posted as to your progress and results. I do like their pens however Santini Italia is higher up on my radar, for now at least.

“Don't put off till tomorrow what you can do today, because if you do it today and like it, you can do again tomorrow!”

I ordered an M120 Iconic Blue this morning from Goldspot. It's an F rather than EF but it was on sale, probably to clear stock (the green/black is on sale, too).

It's hard work to tell which is Old Harry when everybody's got boots on.

8 hours ago, Karmachanic said:

I really do appreciate someone answering a question in less than a sentence!

"When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick; and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin

4 hours ago, sirgilbert357 said:

It's really incredible that I've searched their name so many ways, along with words like "warranty" or "repair" and never found the main website.

Did you try duckduckgo?  I typed "Leonard Officiana" in to the search bar and the corporate site was the top result.

Festina lente

Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence

I learned that if a swimming pool is located under trees, one shouldn't be surprised if there are dead caterpillars on the bottom.

Festina lente

2 hours ago, essayfaire said:

Did you try duckduckgo?  I typed "Leonard Officiana" in to the search bar and the corporate site was the top result.

I really should use that browser more, but no...I didn't try searching that way.

2 hours ago, essayfaire said:

I learned that if a swimming pool is located under trees, one shouldn't be surprised if there are dead caterpillars on the bottom.

Personally, I’d be more worried about the deposits added to the pool by roosting birds than I would be by the caterpillars!

Foul in clear conditions, but handsome in the fog.

mini-postcard-exc.png

On 9/10/2021 at 5:14 PM, maclink said:

I have one of those inked.  Very nice pen!  Darned good bang for the buck.  It looks better in the hand than in pictures and it has great ergonomics.  I bought two, and they both write great.  It's very, very sobering when just before getting them, I had to return a Scribo Piuma Ratio because it did not write properly.  An important thing to note is that the Preppy, Prefonte and Plaisir F nibs do not put down as fine as line as the 3776 and also, the Procyon.

Yep, I agree totally with what you have said there!

20 hours ago, essayfaire said:

That was supposed to be in the "what have you learned today" forum.  Whoops.  Apologies for my non sequiter.

Festina lente

21 hours ago, brokenclay said:

Schon DSGN Pocket 6, Liza Frunk color, 1.1 stub. Like I need another pen.

But such great pens. I love mine :)

38 minutes ago, essayfaire said:

That was supposed to be in the "what have you learned today" forum.  Whoops.  Apologies for my non sequiter.

I've done the same sort of thing, and I am sure many of us have as well.  With that, no apology is needed -- at least from my perspective.

9 hours ago, essayfaire said:

I almost asked, but decided it was an obscure and brilliant reference whose meaning I would ferret out at a later time. Either way, I now know something about pool placement.

On 9/10/2021 at 6:23 AM, DrDebG said:

...But writing with the nib is like writing with a hard nail.  To get any minor flex, I had to press so hard to put ridges in the paper.  Trying to write two words was exhausting.  And that was to just get a small amount of line variation.  If I pressed any harder I would have dug a hole in the paper.  This really surprised me since I have seen videos where the nib flexes fairly easily.  Not with this beast! 

But for me I learned an invaluable lesson - I am not a flex nib person. ...

@DrDebG Sorry to hear about your new nib experience. May I ask which nibs did you get? I learned that for a flexible nib to write well, there needs to be a certain amount of softness too. Otherwise, as you said, it's exhausting to write with and no fun. For daily writing, I prefer a broad/soft stub nib with good ink flow. I am not a natural EF/F person. Fine and flex is to learn calligraphy with, for me. For some people, their daily writing is almost as nice as their calligraphy work, but it's not my case. I would still say that it would be worthwhile and lots of fun to get a flexible nib, but only if it's (at least somewhat) SOFT AND FLEXIBLE. Nail flex (it almost sounds strange) is really not good enough. I hope that one day my normal writing will look better after some time of practicing calligraphy.

2 hours ago, como said:

@DrDebG Sorry to hear about your new nib experience. May I ask which nibs did you get? I learned that for a flexible nib to write well, there needs to be a certain amount of softness too. Otherwise, as you said, it's exhausting to write with and no fun. For daily writing, I prefer a broad/soft stub nib with good ink flow. I am not a natural EF/F person. Fine and flex is to learn calligraphy with, for me. For some people, their daily writing is almost as nice as their calligraphy work, but it's not my case. I would still say that it would be worthwhile and lots of fun to get a flexible nib, but only if it's (at least somewhat) SOFT AND FLEXIBLE. Nail flex (it almost sounds strange) is really not good enough. I hope that one day my normal writing will look better after some time of practicing calligraphy.

I prefer not to say since others do like the nibs.  When I first tried it I thought perhaps it was a needlepoint since it was so small, sharp and dug into the paper.  But printed on the side of the nib was the world "Flex" and it had little divots on the sides.  

I agree with you wholeheartedly.  I definitely prefer broad/soft stub nibs with a wet flow.  But I thought I would give a flex nib a try and since I wanted to replace the nib on one of my pens and the flex nib unit was the same brand as the pen, this seemed like a good solution.  It was not.  And now the nib unit is on its way back to the manufacturer.  I will stick with stub nib unit that I have.  

Please don't misunderstand.  This was a great learning experience.  In fact, every time we try a different pen, different nib, different paper, different ink, it is a growing experience.  Not only are defining more of our tastes and desires, but we are also broaden our mental processes by trying something new.  And, besides, I like to dabble and experiment. 

"Today will be gone in less than 24 hours. When it is gone, it is gone. Be wise, but enjoy! - anonymous today

On 9/13/2021 at 12:13 AM, flaneur said:

I almost asked, but decided it was an obscure and brilliant reference whose meaning I would ferret out at a later time. Either way, I now know something about pool placement.

It actually is a pretty good metaphor...

Festina lente