What Was Your Last Impulsive Pen Acquisition?

lgbpinho

6 hours ago, Bikerchick said:

purchased this Wing Sung 698. It's supposed to have a bouncy 14k gold nib. 

I've had one for a few weeks now, maybe we saw it on the same Youtube channel. The nib on mine is definitely on the soft side, but I don't think it quite extends to "bouncy" (not as much as in the video at least).  Or maybe I'm just not sure how that word translates into real world feel. I think you'll like it, in any case. 

• Replies 6.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• inkstainedruth

• A Smug Dill

• Misfit

• essayfaire

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I quickly settled on this entry-level Sailor 1911 Profit Kurogane Black in Black which is supposedly a limited edition pen. I opted for the FineMedium nib.

I didn't think that particular pen model, or any of its Sailor Profit Jr kin, comes fitted with anything other than Medium-Fine nibs at the customer's option.

Judging by comments on Sailor nibs here, one either loves or hates them, so I went with a steel nib for now.

I would say the steel nibs on the Sailor Profit Jr (and, by extension, the opaque ones of the same mould by any other name) and Lecoule, while quite… competent in their own right, are not representative of the type of Sailor nibs to which most commenters would be referring. The steel nibs on the Procolor 500 mould (including Shikiori Hisakata, Shikiori Tsukuyo-no-minamo and Fasciner models) would be closer.

All the same, I hope you enjoy your new Sailor pen!

I endeavour to be frank and truthful in what I write, show or otherwise present, when I relate my first-hand experiences that are not independently verifiable; and link to third-party content where I can, when I make a claim or refute a statement of fact in a thread. If there is something you can verify for yourself, I entreat you to do so, and judge for yourself what is right, correct, and valid. I may be wrong, and my position or say-so is no more authoritative and carries no more weight than anyone else's here.

19 hours ago, ParramattaPaul said:

I haven't yet succumbed to the temptation, but tempting it is:  PRE-ORDER Conway Stewart Series 58 Seamus Heaney

I don't purchase pens that are as expensive as Conway Stewarts, but I thank you for supplying the poem for our weekly family poetry night!  I wonder what pen Heaney was using at the time...

Festina lente

Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence

15 minutes ago, essayfaire said:

I don't purchase pens that are as expensive as Conway Stewarts, but I thank you for supplying the poem for our weekly family poetry night!  I wonder what pen Heaney was using at the time...

It's implied at least that it was a medium nib series 58.

I personally had -- and still have -- no intention of buying another pen, especially a high-end pen, but I admit that the temptation is real since I've wanted a green Series 58 for a long time, and I truly enjoyed reading much of Heaney's poetry.

4 hours ago, Paul-in-SF said:

I've had one for a few weeks now, maybe we saw it on the same Youtube channel. The nib on mine is definitely on the soft side, but I don't think it quite extends to "bouncy" (not as much as in the video at least).  Or maybe I'm just not sure how that word translates into real world feel. I think you'll like it, in any case. 

It was a video from Inky Rocks, she talks about the pen around the 15:20 mark and describes the nib as a "soft nib that is nice and bouncy and has a bit of flex to it".   I'm not sure about the bounce either but it sure looks a little soft when she writes with it.  Expectations are quite high, so I'd really like it if your last statement was  right. :)

4 hours ago, A Smug Dill said:

I didn't think that particular pen model, or any of its Sailor Profit Jr kin, comes fitted with anything other than Medium-Fine nibs at the customer's option.

I would say the steel nibs on the Sailor Profit Jr (and, by extension, the opaque ones of the same mould by any other name) and Lecoule, while quite… competent in their own right, are not representative of the type of Sailor nibs to which most commenters would be referring. The steel nibs on the Procolor 500 mould (including Shikiori Hisakata, Shikiori Tsukuyo-no-minamo and Fasciner models) would be closer.

All the same, I hope you enjoy your new Sailor pen!

The site where I made the purchase indeed only offered it in FineMedium but I wasn't sure whether that was due to a lack of availability of other sizes. 

I've read that a lot of Sailor nibs - and I'm not sure if that'll extend to the nib on this pen - are renowned for their considerable amount of feedback. I much prefer nibs with a bit of tooth over ones that are glassy smooth. 

What are the nibs on the models you mentioned like and why do people seem to have such a love/hate relationship with them? There seems to be no in-between. 

What is this money pit obsession hole I have fallen into? 

My other passion

On 7/27/2021 at 7:09 AM, Detman101 said:

SWEET!!
Please tell us how that little pen works out. I've had one in my wishlist on Amazon for almost a year.

Been using it off an on for a couple weeks now. Pen is merely ok. Threw in an GvFC Moss Green cartridge I had at hand, lots of hard starts and skipping at first but after sitting several days and saturating the feed, most of the skipping stopped though still some problems with hard starts but it's very random, as in 3 or 4 write letters fine then a hard start on the next one.

Has an ink starvation issue; when writing a whole sentence the Moss comes out nice and dark at first but becomes progressively lighter as you write. Not so noticeable when doing sudokus - write one number, pause, write another, it maintains better consistency until nearing the end where you're writing numbers faster. Maybe a wetter ink, like an Iro, would help with this.

For $10, it's ok enough to play around with. Capped, it 1/2" longer than a Sport and marginally shorter uncapped but it posts nicely to a useable length if needed. Tiny hairline cracks along the edge of the cap, though I see the same on the roller and a spare cap I have.

One thing I have learned from this is that I need to just buy a bottle of the Moss Green already, instead of the carts.

It's hard work to tell which is Old Harry when everybody's got boots on.

22 hours ago, ParramattaPaul said:

It's implied at least that it was a medium nib series 58.

I personally had -- and still have -- no intention of buying another pen, especially a high-end pen, but I admit that the temptation is real since I've wanted a green Series 58 for a long time, and I truly enjoyed reading much of Heaney's poetry.

It's understandable - I also think he has the best Beowoulf translation.

Festina lente

Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence

Not a complete pen, but I ordered myself a BB nib for my Pelikan M815, when I don't even like that pen, and also generally find even Pelikan's gold EF nibs to not be fine enough for my writing preferences. Don't ask me why I bought that nib.

I endeavour to be frank and truthful in what I write, show or otherwise present, when I relate my first-hand experiences that are not independently verifiable; and link to third-party content where I can, when I make a claim or refute a statement of fact in a thread. If there is something you can verify for yourself, I entreat you to do so, and judge for yourself what is right, correct, and valid. I may be wrong, and my position or say-so is no more authoritative and carries no more weight than anyone else's here.

44 minutes ago, A Smug Dill said:

Not a complete pen, but I ordered myself a BB nib for my Pelikan M815, when I don't even like that pen, and also generally find even Pelikan's gold EF nibs to not be fine enough for my writing preferences. Don't ask me why I bought that nib.

So... seriously...why DID you buy it? LOL.

I went onto Andy's Pens just now to order the Parker Vacumatic book. 

And because it's coming all the way from England anyway, I just had to include that nice-looking grey Parker Aero 51  FP/pencil set, too. 

You know, as you do. . .

2 hours ago, NumberSix said:

And because it's coming all the way from England anyway, I just had to include that nice-looking grey Parker Aero 51  FP/pencil set, too. 

Which grey?

’Navy’ (which, to my eye at least hath a greenish tinge)?

Or  ‘Dove’ (which, again to my eye, looks far more like the colour with which They paint Her Majesty’s Ships than Parker’s ‘Navy Grey’ does)?

Foul in clear conditions, but handsome in the fog.

mini-postcard-exc.png

3 minutes ago, Mercian said:

Which grey?

Or  ‘Dove’ (which, again to my eye, looks far more like the colour with which They paint Her Majesty’s Ships than Parker’s ‘Navy Grey’ does)?

I agree with you about dove grey being a better match for the grey on RN ships.  But, just to be an annoying cheeky b*gger (because I have nothing better to do); did Parker ever say which Navy's grey it is?

18 minutes ago, Mercian said:

Which grey?

It's the dove grey. 😃

29 minutes ago, ParramattaPaul said:

I agree with you about dove grey being a better match for the grey on RN ships.  But, just to be an annoying cheeky b*gger (because I have nothing better to do); did Parker ever say which Navy's grey it is?

😁

Indeed not!

And nor, as far as I know, did Parker claim that said Navy liked to make sure that all its vessels were always ‘shipshape-and-Bristol-fashion’ and always-freshly-painted.

Perhaps the Navy that Parker had in mind was a rather lackadaisical one, whose ships tended to turn mouldy as they languished by the shore?

Foul in clear conditions, but handsome in the fog.

mini-postcard-exc.png

4 minutes ago, Mercian said:

😁

Indeed not!

And nor, as far as I know, did Parker claim that said Navy liked to make sure that all its vessels were always ‘shipshape-and-Bristol-fashion’ and always-freshly-painted.

Perhaps the Navy that Parker had in mind was a rather lackadaisical one, whose ships tended to turn mouldy as they languished by the shore?

Hehe

Don't forget that Parker has also historically felt the need to make their blue-black ink actually be green. In fact, I am of the opinion that that color was the target of Noodler's Air Corps Blue-Black, a fine ink that is neither blue nor black.

I keep a list of pens that are "under consideration" on my phone. One such pen was the Lamy 2000 Stainless steel. I stumbled across it for 219 USD from Cult Pens with free shipping and that was that...marked that one off my list! I was planning to wait until Sept 24th and see if I could find a good deal at the Dallas Pen Show, but I won't see a price that low on it in the US unless it is well used and being sold preowned.

It should be here by the weekend!

13 hours ago, sirgilbert357 said:

So... seriously...why DID you buy it? LOL.

80%-life crisis, perhaps? Or I already dislike my Pelikan M815 Metal-Striped pen (with an F nib I ended up regrinding myself, just to make the lines it put down narrow enough to be usable) enough, so I wanted to make it even more not-to-my-tastes in a fitting way? Or perhaps just because it's not a common nib, and even less commonly offered at the discount I got (as a personal offer, not part of a list of items on sale).

We're talking about impulsive and unnecessary spending here, right?

1 hour ago, A Smug Dill said:

:lticaptd:

I'd sure love to try that pen! 

But yes, it's a tad uncharacteristic for you to be getting yourself a BB nib.

I'd love to see the writing sample when you get it. 

3 hours ago, A Smug Dill said:

I just ordered a rather expensive older Montblanc Writers Edition...have been looking for this one for some time and found a NOS with a F nib, so I couldn't really get any better...well, except for the price obviously...but justifying the timing of the unnecessary impulsive spending here...pictures to follow after it is inked up for its maiden voyage...

2 hours ago, maclink said:

:lticaptd:

I'd sure love to try that pen! 

But yes, it's a tad uncharacteristic for you to be getting yourself a BB nib.

I'd love to see the writing sample when you get it. 

+1

Indeed, sometimes it can be a lot of fun to follow impulses, but be careful, those impulses can lead down dark pathways, and before you know it, you are hiding in the corner, late at night, dipping all sorts of inks... 😛