What Was Your Last Impulsive Pen Acquisition?

lgbpinho

5 hours ago, Bikerchick said:

So, you don't like the brand, the material, the color,  the nib or the feed... 

I like the colour(s), but the pattern I see from the product photos is boring. I don't mind ebonite per se, but it's neither a preferred nor superior material compared to spectacular acrylics — say, even many of Leonardo's own selection, e.g. Blue Hawaii — or celluloid, and therefore not something for which as a consumer I am prepared to pay that much of a premium for what it is (as opposed to how a particular ebonite looks).

Thus, even though I certainly didn't expect it to be priced on par with entry-level models with translucent AS resin bodies, because the asking price of the Platinum #3776 Marble Ebonite (model PTB-50000BM) — 42.8% higher than that of most of the #3776 Celluloid models — I never bought one of those even though I like the look of the Platinum's red Jupiter ebonite; and the same price point did not prevent me from getting a #3776 Sandblasted Briar model. However, if I saw a ≥40% discount offered, it could have made the #3776 Ebonite pen an impulse buy for me.

I've seen far more interesting-looking ebonite colours and patterns in Santini Italia' and Ranga's selections; and I have been meaning to buy another Santini pen in ebonite, but just haven't seen anything sufficiently interesting to me at the ~US$450 price point after the Calypso I have, which is partially ebonite. (Oh, and it has an ebonite feed, too, but my experience is it hasn't been a problem working with my slightly-customised EF nib.)

Obviously, that doesn't take into account the difference in production costs from sourcing and working with ebonite; I have no idea how those commercial concerns come into play. Or the chemical properties of the material, for that matter, although I remember reading ebonite can become discoloured if left exposed to sunlight, and sun-damaged ebonite can then be harmed by soaking? In any case, as far as demand for ebonite pens on account of either feel-in-hand, or being a ‘classic’ material that looks more conservative in its colours and patterns, count me out. I'd only want to buy it because it is offered ‘cheap’, or because the particular ebonite sports colours and patterns that are outstanding and refreshing (i.e. upsetting expectations of conservative or ‘classy’).

5 hours ago, Bikerchick said:

Must have been one hell of a discount!

‘Cheap’ is exactly what happened here, coupled with the #8 nib that makes it different (or some would say ‘special’). I haven't used a #8 nib before, so I don't know whether I'll like it or not. However, I do know that I'm almost always after crisp, precise and controlled lines and ink flow; and I suspect the combination of nib and feed on this pen will not deliver that, in spite of it being an EF nib.

That's a ‘problem’ with hobbies for me, especially one with a certain geeky aspect to it. Just because a particular small-batch scotch whisky have found some vocal devotees and maintain a high price doesn't make it either good or bad; but, in order to be able to validly say, “What are you on about? If you enjoy it, then good for you, and I'm glad you like it, but it's nothing special and not worth the premium,” I need to try it for myself first, which I'm inclined to do when the price is ‘right’. Or maybe it'll turn me into another lover of such, even though on the balance of probabilities it's unlikely.

I endeavour to be frank and truthful in what I write, show or otherwise present, when I relate my first-hand experiences that are not independently verifiable; and link to third-party content where I can, when I make a claim or refute a statement of fact in a thread. If there is something you can verify for yourself, I entreat you to do so, and judge for yourself what is right, correct, and valid. I may be wrong, and my position or say-so is no more authoritative and carries no more weight than anyone else's here.

• Replies 6.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• inkstainedruth

• A Smug Dill

• Misfit

• essayfaire

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

On 7/24/2021 at 10:28 AM, ethernautrix said:

I hope you enjoy the PO nib! It wasn't my favorite out of the box, as it was finer than what I was used to,  …‹snip›… 

I'm curious what your experience will be, with the PO and the EF. 

I received those two pens last week, but only briefly tested them just now, to make sure they write in case I need to raise an issue with the overseas retailer within seven days of delivery.

From what I've seen, the Pilot 14K gold #5 EF nib must have a smaller contact surface area with the page, than that of the Pilot 14K gold #10 PO nib, because (using the same ink from the same converter) I can draw between 19 and 21 parallel and largely distinct horizontal lines (with cross-strokes) within a 5mm-squared area on Rhodia DotPad 80g/m² paper with the former, but get only 17 or 18 out of the latter. (The line count for parallel vertical lines also indicate that the #5 EF nib is as fine or finer.) Yet, writing in English with a cursive hand, the #10 PO nib seems finer. Therefore, I'm inclined to attribute the differences, at least partly, to how the nibs control (or effect) ink flow for different pen strokes.

For this initial round of brief testing, I used Pelikan 4001 Brilliant Black ink, which I think is too dry for these nibs. (I definitely see shading in the cursive writing with either of these pens.)

I endeavour to be frank and truthful in what I write, show or otherwise present, when I relate my first-hand experiences that are not independently verifiable; and link to third-party content where I can, when I make a claim or refute a statement of fact in a thread. If there is something you can verify for yourself, I entreat you to do so, and judge for yourself what is right, correct, and valid. I may be wrong, and my position or say-so is no more authoritative and carries no more weight than anyone else's here.

19 hours ago, A Smug Dill said:

the Pilot 14K gold #5 EF nib must have a smaller contact surface area with the page, than that of the Pilot 14K gold #10 PO nib, because (using the same ink from the same converter) I can draw between 19 and 21 parallel and largely distinct horizontal lines (with cross-strokes) within a 5mm-squared area on Rhodia DotPad 80g/m² paper with the former, but get only 17 or 18 out of the latter.

This reflects my experience. Both pens inked with Noodler's Black (at the time; now the Pilot 92 (EF) is filled with Pilot Blue), the (EF) wrote finer than the (PO). It surprised me, but I'm no less delighted with either nib.

etherX in To Miasto

Fleekair <--French accent.

An Aurora Optima with an Italic nib. Finally! (Although no fountain pen will be my final purchase, I suspect, for as long as I continue living and breathing, and have eyes and a writing hand that still function.)

2 hours ago, ethernautrix said:

Both pens inked with Noodler's Black (at the time; now the Pilot 92 (EF) is filled with Pilot Blue), the (EF) wrote finer than the (PO). It surprised me, but I'm no less delighted with either nib.

The Pilot #10 PO nib is seriously smooth for the fineness of the business end, even when I was using a dry ink such as Pelikan 4001 Brilliant Black.

Both those Pilot pens seem to put down far drier lines of ink with cross-strokes than with downstrokes (as evident from the intensity of the colour on the page), though, even when the line widths are roughly the same either way.

A Scribo Piuma Ratio with M soft nib.  I've long been wanting a Scribo, interested mainly in the nib.  I noticed the Piuma at a significantly lower price than the Feel and yesterday, suddenly went for it.

Earlier today:  I ordered a Parker Vacumatic Senior Debutante (1948, according to seller). 

I wonder how the size will compare with my wonderful little Vacumatic Demi 51? 

Earlier today I bought an Edison Newark in Satellite Diamondcast resin. I knew nothing about this pen prior to seeing it come up for sale this morning and I jumped on it just because I really like the way it looks. It was a collaboration between Edison and Goldspot Pens from earlier this year, limited to 76 examples in this particular resin which is made to resemble the earth when viewed from space.

xK69jKD.jpeg

I ordered a Diplomat Magnum in one of the new translucent plastics (blue in my case) because while I really like Diplomat pens I don't like lacquered metal pens, so I didn't like the Excellence A2 (I think it was) that I bought a while ago. It was impulsive because I saw it in a youtube review and said to myself, hey, let's try that one. 

I'm considering a Pininfarina PF Two because I think it looks cool. 

5 minutes ago, Paul-in-SF said:

And I did it, from Cult Pens in the UK, $62+ cheaper than any US seller I could find, and free shipping. 

A Platinum Prefonte (a mini-step up from the Preppy in appearance only) with some Carbon Black ink cartridges.  I got this as a backup solution for work.  The Prefonte has a fine nib and with Platinum Carbon Black, it's a fantastic writing experience for £8.  It's a great writer.... full-stop.  I'll be getting a couple more.

14 hours ago, Paul-in-SF said:

I ordered a Diplomat Magnum in one of the new translucent plastics (blue in my case) because while I really like Diplomat pens I don't like lacquered metal pens, so I didn't like the Excellence A2 (I think it was) that I bought a while ago. It was impulsive because I saw it in a youtube review and said to myself, hey, let's try that one. 

I actually have a few Diplomat Magnum around the house and car in a bunch of different colors; they are reliable "tester pens" where I can try out inks, etc..  I also am not a fan of some of the metal pens, mostly for tactile reasons.

Festina lente

Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence

I still have the very first modern Conway Stewart I ever bought at a pen show. Love that pen, even though it’s not the same company it once was….they still make awfully pretty pens.

My second Platinum #3776 Celluloid pen — this one in ‘Calico’ — even though I hardly ever use the my first one.

I was idly browsing pen_swap this afternoon when I saw a black Aurora 88P with gold cap. 

Had to jump on it!

I’ve been wanting a 1950’s 88 piston filler. The closest I’ve come is an 888P c/c model I briefly owned. 

I saw this pen make a casual appearance on a Youtube channel yesterday. I did look for some reviews, but other than a few mentions here, I couldn't find much about it. I decided to take the plunge anyhow and purchased this Wing Sung 698. It's supposed to have a bouncy 14k gold nib. 

AHpbHHY.png

I stocked up on some paper yesterday too and just before check-out, I decided it was time for me to get a Sailor pen. Judging by comments on Sailor nibs here, one either loves or hates them, so I went with a steel nib for now. I quickly settled on this entry-level Sailor 1911 Profit Kurogane Black in Black which is supposedly a limited edition pen. I opted for the FineMedium nib. The Sailor is getting here tomorrow. The Wing Sung, who knows. 

oiC8Rby.png

What is this money pit obsession hole I have fallen into? 

My other passion