What Was Your Last Impulsive Pen Acquisition?

lgbpinho

4 minutes ago, N1003U said:

Both lovely pens.

The Menlo is one Edison model I don't have (yet ;) ), but I have not yet met an Edison pen I don't like. There are a couple models that don't thrill me, but none I don't like, and the Sweet Honey material looks enticing. Add my usual high praise for the factory-tuned nibs, and the pleasure of dealing with the Edison Pen Company in general, and I would bet at least the price of your purchase that you will be happy with the pen.

The M120 is a lovely throwback creation, and mine gets occasional comments from neighbors who were students in the 50s and 60s and who remember them. It also has a great nib, much like the M200 steel nibs--smooth, crisp, and springy.

🙂 Thanks for the affirmations, @N1003U. Yes, I have the M120 in the blue and it is one of my very favorite pens. The nib is good, as you said, and I really like the rounded ends better than either the crown or derby caps.

• Replies 6.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• inkstainedruth

• A Smug Dill

• Misfit

• essayfaire

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

My Sheaffer Snorkel desk pen just arrived today.  Purchased it after a series of failed auctions. Very happy with it, need to wait till September to ink it up for school.

3 minutes ago, mizgeorge said:

Hope the test results were also favourable.

I won't know for a couple of days, so I'm isolating until then, which is goofy because the exposure was 2 weeks ago but I didn't get pinged until yesterday. 

Weird times.

3 minutes ago, brokenclay said:

I won't know for a couple of days, so I'm isolating until then, which is goofy because the exposure was 2 weeks ago but I didn't get pinged until yesterday. 

Weird times.

Just think, when you go back out, you will have a couple of cool new pens to take with you!

ANOTHER 51 from the bay of evil that looks like it has a broad/stub nib on it. At least I hope is does so I didn’t just pay $70 for a run of the mill black 51!

1 hour ago, brokenclay said:

Weird times.

I just got tested over the weekend because my husband came down with a bad virus.  Doctor didn't think he needed to worry, but we did anyway, because there has been an upsurge in cases around here.  The test was free at the drive-through window at a local RiteAid.  I had him send me the info and then made an appointment for later the same day.  He got his results back this morning, and I just checked again now and we are both negative.  So here's hoping that you are negative as well -- there was a story on the noon news about a woman who hasn't gotten her sense of smell back and there was almost a catastrophe because a dishtowel in her kitchen caught on fire.  Fortunately for her, her black Lab started growling and acting strangely and then she saw the smoke (she couldn't smell it).  So the dog saved her life (and the house), but I think she was still a little freaked -- I know I would be....

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

2 hours ago, Carguy said:

ANOTHER 51 from the bay of evil that looks like it has a broad/stub nib on it. At least I hope is does so I didn’t just pay $70 for a run of the mill black 51!

🤞

Tests results were negative, so we're all good.

Now I'm just waiting for the pens!

Result!!

12 hours ago, brokenclay said:

Yaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay!
*happy dance*

What is this money pit obsession hole I have fallen into? 

My other passion

19 hours ago, brokenclay said:

Yay!  (On both accounts).

My husband and my tests also came back negative, but with the caveat that we should take precautions for the next couple of weeks in case it was a false negative.

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

I picked up a Spors  glass nib pen for 5 dollars. It needs a clip( someday I'll find one) and a new sac. Easy fix 😁

10 hours ago, Zookie said:

I picked up a Spors  glass nib pen for 5 dollars. It needs a clip( someday I'll find one) and a new sac. Easy fix 😁

I had one of these once, but I could not get it to write very well, the nib didn't seem to fit the section very well, and it felt a little loose and wobbly. I even ordered a new nib from Etsy (there seems to be only a couple of standard sizes, if I remember correctly) but it was no better, so probably it was a defect in the section. Anyway, I'll be interested to read about your success with yours when you get it going. 

On 8/10/2021 at 5:11 PM, brokenclay said:

And they're here! So fast!

Wow, this Edison is a beautiful pen. 

large.B4716A92-6F91-4DED-91F4-A90A3F83BA3E.jpeg.8735d0ad5892d1ce04321af6e724c9ff.jpeg

And they're here! So fast!

Wow, this Edison is a beautiful pen. 

large.B4716A92-6F91-4DED-91F4-A90A3F83BA3E.jpeg.8735d0ad5892d1ce04321af6e724c9ff.jpeg

Phwoar! What a beautiful material that Menlo is!

I thought I said I'm not going to give Leonardo Officina Italiana another chance, but somehow just now I did. I hope it doesn't disappoint me the way Parker did when I gave the latter a chance to redeem itself. On the way next week is a Leonardo Musis Oplontis. Hmmm, what was I thinking? Leonardo — not one of my favourite brands. Ebonite — not one of my preferred pen body material, especially when the Oplontis's colour and pattern do not look outstanding or refreshing, as far as ebonite goes. Large #8 nib — I find large nibs tend to write broader than their stated width grades, and so to me a large nib are more likely to be a disadvantage in terms of my writing experience; same goes with ‘wet’ ink flow, and this pen's nib is supported by an ebonite feed, and the combination is no doubt designed and tuned to be ‘wet’ to pander primarily to Latin-based alphabet users among hobbyists in the ‘Western’ market.

I guess the size of the discount spoke louder than all of the above, and all rational thinking on my part. It'll be ironic if I end up not liking any aspect of the writing experience with the pen after all, and it just ends up unused for years on end… and may as well just be buried under volcanic ash.

I endeavour to be frank and truthful in what I write, show or otherwise present, when I relate my first-hand experiences that are not independently verifiable; and link to third-party content where I can, when I make a claim or refute a statement of fact in a thread. If there is something you can verify for yourself, I entreat you to do so, and judge for yourself what is right, correct, and valid. I may be wrong, and my position or say-so is no more authoritative and carries no more weight than anyone else's here.

1 hour ago, A Smug Dill said:

I thought I said I'm not going to give Leonardo Officina Italiana another chance, but somehow just now I did. I hope it doesn't disappoint me the way Parker did when I gave the latter a chance to redeem itself. On the way next week is a Leonardo Musis Oplontis. Hmmm, what was I thinking? Leonardo — not one of my favourite brands. Ebonite — not one of my preferred pen body material, especially when the Oplontis's colour and pattern do not look outstanding or refreshing, as far as ebonite goes. Large #8 nib — I find large nibs tend to write broader than their stated width grades, and so to me a large nib are more likely to be a disadvantage in terms of my writing experience; same goes with ‘wet’ ink flow, and this pen's nib is supported by an ebonite feed, and the combination is no doubt designed and tuned to be ‘wet’ to pander primarily to Latin-based alphabet users among hobbyists in the ‘Western’ market.

I guess the size of the discount spoke louder than all of the above, and all rational thinking on my part. It'll be ironic if I end up not liking any aspect of the writing experience with the pen after all, and it just ends up unused for years on end… and may as well just be buried under volcanic ash.

So, you don't like the brand, the material, the color,  the nib or the feed... 

Must have been one hell of a discount! 

What is this money pit obsession hole I have fallen into? 

My other passion

2 hours ago, Bikerchick said:

So, you don't like the brand, the material, the color,  the nib or the feed... 

Must have been one hell of a discount! 

🙂 +1

“Don't put off till tomorrow what you can do today, because if you do it today and like it, you can do again tomorrow!”