What Was Your Last Impulsive Pen Acquisition?

lgbpinho

Hello Karmachanic

Actually they offer such no name nibs for private fp makers or small brands but IMHO it is not possible to applicate an imprint on a readymade nib. A laser Logo is not an imprint.

Kind Regards

Thomas

• Replies 6.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• inkstainedruth

• A Smug Dill

• Misfit

• essayfaire

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

On 7/25/2021 at 3:31 AM, A Smug Dill said:

Yes, you'd mentioned that before; and I still haven't fulfilled my offer to dig out some Tomoe River FP paper to do some comparison of lines widths from Platinum Carbon Black and other black pigment inks, sorry.

No pressure! My curiosity is... idle. My own experience reinforces my allegiance to Noodler's Black. For those occasions when I wouldn't mind a slightly swollen line, the PCB is a good choice, as are KWZi inks (for other colors). 

I've found that Noodler's Black, once it's become one with the paper, doesn't smudge, budge, or, em, move at all. I wanted to demonstrate its permanence and unbudge-ability to a doctor and put my open-faced notebook under the faucet in her office. I'd written those lines days before. DAYS!

I wish I could have seen the look on my own face when the ink smeared. Hahahahaha. I was so SHOCKED. I guess that paper (I don't remember what brand. It was a spiral-bound notebook, so probably something I didn't intend to archive) was coated, and the ink wasn't completely absorbed.

What a terrible demonstration. Hahaha. Her face when I put my notebook under the faucet and turned on the water, and then my face...hahaha.

Now I'm wondering if PCB would have smeared. I'd guess yes, only because I've used and tested both inks, and they're both almost always waterproof. (See? Now I need an asterisk, because of that one time!

NB does take a while to dry on TR paper, so I put paper towels or tissues between pages. It's a bit fussy, but worth the extra effort.

As for last impulsive pen purchase, last week I was at Feniks (an old department store at Rynek (old town square)) to buy Oxford Paper Optik notebooks (so nice and smooth!) and threw a Pentel EnerGel gel pen on top (again), cos I loves me a needlepoint tip. And wkład do długopisu żelowego (gel pen refill--oh Polish, you are so... complicated!). (Pentel used to make Ceramicrons in the '80s. How I loved those Ceramicrons! These EnerGels must be the descendants.)

etherX in To Miasto

Fleekair <--French accent.

14 hours ago, ethernautrix said:

What a terrible demonstration. Hahaha. Her face when I put my notebook under the faucet and turned on the water, and then my face...hahaha.

At least it wasn't a demonstration like this one on TV. (Actually, this isn't the specific one I was looking for. There was one I saw a clip of, years ago, when a young guy was on a morning(?) TV show hosted by two women, and got one of them to mix up the three paper cups under which a single spike was hidden. He was the one to slam his own hand on the cup confidently, and the expression on the face of the host who did the mixing up — just a split second before the guy's hand landed on the cup, when she realised which cup he picked and that he was really going to slam his hand down on it — was, well, priceless and not completely absent guilt, which quite frankly she needn't have felt, since it wasn't her fault he got it wrong.

I endeavour to be frank and truthful in what I write, show or otherwise present, when I relate my first-hand experiences that are not independently verifiable; and link to third-party content where I can, when I make a claim or refute a statement of fact in a thread. If there is something you can verify for yourself, I entreat you to do so, and judge for yourself what is right, correct, and valid. I may be wrong, and my position or say-so is no more authoritative and carries no more weight than anyone else's here.

9 hours ago, chromantic said:

When ordering a M205 blue marble this morning (to replace the Teal I'd returned), I threw in one of those little J. Herbin fountain pens. Always wanted to try one, I'll see how it stacks up against a Sport.

SWEET!!
Please tell us how that little pen works out. I've had one in my wishlist on Amazon for almost a year.

Eat The Rich_SIG.jpg

19 hours ago, A Smug Dill said:

Three Pelikan Jazz Elegance (all in white, because it's the only colour available at present from the retailer in question), because I was trying to pad an order for free international shipping eligibility, and a 3-for-2 offer applies to the product.

Eighteen Platinum Preppy pens, all with 02 (which is supposedly Extra Fine) nibs, for effectively A$3.67 (or US$2.71) each. Ten to house the ten R&K SketchINK inks — which, being pigment inks, are particularly unsuitable for being used in Monami Penna or Daiso Air-Seal fountain pens (all having snap-caps fitted with spring-loaded inner caps), because their ink feed mechanism has a fibrous wick — and five to prospectively be donors of EF nibs to my five Platinum Prefounte pens, leaving three spares which will probably end up being filled with Platinum Carbon Black, Sailor Souboku, and Sailor Seiboku (or alternatively, Platinum Carbon Black, Sailor Kiwaguro, and Hero 234 carbon black) pigment inks.

And a whole lot of Sakura Pigma Micron (not fountain) pens.

But why would Goulet Pens do that, especially if you specifically want to buy Goulet JoWo nibs and not just some generic JoWo nibs source elsewhere, on the premise that Goulet doesn't just receive garden-variety JoWo nibs straight from JoWo's factory and then on-sell them, but performs some physical value-adding work to the nibs as the middle man? Surely if it's adding value, then you'd expect them to brand its handiwork so that anyone can identify such nibs, irrespective of how aesthetically pleasing (or disagreeable) the branding or scrollwork is.

Approaching the idea another way, would you elect/offer to pay Goulet extra again just to not add its branding to nibs that it has worked on, and trade off any potential benefit the company would get by having those nibs identifiable by anyone who sees your pens?

Wow...you know, I often imagine you living in a mansion in Australia that appears to be a "Fountain Pen Museum and Conservatory" upon entry... 😆

Eat The Rich_SIG.jpg

Yesterday, I came home with 3 new pens that more or less qualify as impulsive acquisition.

The first one was very impulsive when it started out. I had seen this beautiful material and I simply WANTED a pen made from it. After several failed attempts to get what I wanted, I finally asked the right person, ordered the material, got a custom pen designed and finally held the finished pen in my hand yesterday. It has two different exchangeable filling systems: an aerometric with a vintage Montblanc nib attached to it and a piston filler waiting for the right vintage Pelikan nib to pop up.

The pen is huge (about 16 cm long and 18 mm in diameter) but very light weight. I am still waiting for the pen rest from the same material as the decision concerning the diameter was only made yesterday and the pen rest will be made to fit it.

If you ask me, this looks like an explosion in space:

large.20210727_091328.jpg.6fd078be95f6044c6437502dcd6d6110.jpglarge.20210727_091315.jpg.2d780edc71a23ab0046893baee9aebb1.jpglarge.20210727_091258.jpg.447046727e9b2a98dc7bd55cf84a8d61.jpg

The second pen is a little less long term impulsive. 3 or 4 days before I went to collect my custom pen, I was offered this:

Pelikan 101N Lizard from (probably) 1938

Had this pen on my wish list for some years, never thought I would actually find one for my own flock. But... there it is.

large.20210727_092037.jpg.a43c0752058005a5243bae37f34f9f2b.jpglarge.20210727_091940.jpg.ea4fd8522ca4f423a41dfb7964e3a9a4.jpglarge.20210727_091918.jpg.fba682d096659d32afee18009fffc6d3.jpglarge.20210727_091900.jpg.f204b0b5a10b4e637fa6d1569a09be0c.jpg

And finally, while I was sitting there, waiting for the custom pen to get finished, toying with the Lizard, my eyes wandered to this little beauty:

Parker Lady Duofold Ringtop from 1925-1928

I thought, oh my, what a cute little thingy, you would be a nice addition to my Duofolds (and from now on the oldest pen I own) and aren´t you a pretty green one? Let´s have you come home with the other two, can´t leave you sitting there all on your own, can I?

large.20210727_091523.jpg.5a9de1f083b82efe435eaa8028745c1c.jpglarge.20210727_091535.jpg.df387b5586e7abc89a44312f87ad2461.jpg

8 hours ago, Kaweco said:

Hello Karmachanic

Actually they offer such no name nibs for private fp makers or small brands but IMHO it is not possible to applicate an imprint on a readymade nib. A laser Logo is not an imprint.

Kind Regards

Thomas

Add lightness and simplicate.

29 minutos atrás, carola disse:

Ontem, voltei para casa com 3 novas canetas que mais ou menos se qualificam como aquisição impulsiva.

O primeiro foi muito impulsivo quando começou. Eu tinha visto esse belo material e simplesmente QUERIA uma caneta feita com ele. Depois de várias fracassadas de conseguir o que queria, finalmente perguntei à pessoa certa, encomendei o material, consegui uma caneta personalizada e finalmente segurei a caneta pronta na minha mão ontem. Ele tem dois sistemas diferentes de enchimento intercambiáveis: um aerométrico com uma ponta Montblanc vintage acoplada a ele e um enchimento de pistão esperando que a ponta Pelikan certa vintage apareça.

Uma caneta é enorme (cerca de 16 cm de comprimento e 18 mm de diâmetro), mas muito leve. Ainda estou aguardando o descanso da caneta do mesmo material, pois a decisão quanto ao diâmetro foi tomada e será feito o descanso da caneta para caber nele.

Se você me questionar, isso parece uma explosão no espaço:

large.20210727_091328.jpg.6fd078be95f6044c6437502dcd6d6110.jpglarge.20210727_091315.jpg.2d780edc71a23ab0046893baee9aebb1.jpglarge.20210727_091258.jpg.447046727e9b2a98dc7bd55cf84a8d61.jpg

A segunda caneta é um pouco menos impulsiva de longo prazo. 3 ou 4 dias antes de ir buscar minha caneta personalizada, foi-me oferecido o seguinte:

Pelikan 101N Lizard de (provavelmente) 1938

Tive esta caneta na minha lista de desejos por alguns anos, nunca pensei que realmente encontraria uma para o meu próprio rebanho. Mas ... aí está.

large.20210727_092037.jpg.a43c0752058005a5243bae37f34f9f2b.jpglarge.20210727_091940.jpg.ea4fd8522ca4f423a41dfb7964e3a9a4.jpglarge.20210727_091918.jpg.fba682d096659d32afee18009fffc6d3.jpglarge.20210727_091900.jpg.f204b0b5a10b4e637fa6d1569a09be0c.jpg

E finalmente, enquanto eu estava sentado lá, esperando uma caneta personalizada terminar, brincando com o Lagarto, meus olhos vagaram para esta belezinha:

Parker Lady Duofold Ringtop de 1925-1928

Eu penso, oh meu, que coisinha fofa, você seria uma boa adição aos meus Duofolds (e de agora em diante a caneta mais velha que eu possuo) e você não é um lindo verde? Vamos voltar para casa com os outros dois, não posso deixar você sentado aí sozinho, posso?

large.20210727_091523.jpg.5a9de1f083b82efe435eaa8028745c1c.jpglarge.20210727_091535.jpg.df387b5586e7abc89a44312f87ad2461.jpg

Hello Carola.
I can assure you that you are on an excellent tide of good luck. Congratulations on your acquisitions, which without a doubt would be very good with my puppies too.
All beautiful and special.

Regards

9 hours ago, Kaweco said:

There is no nib without a logo. The logo is imprinted at a very early status of production, before the nib carries the tip, has the middle slit, the breather hole AND the round shape. Each additional imprint on a readymade nib would destroy it.

It is far more expensive for the fountain pen maker to grind or regrind nibs from Bock or Jowo or any other, than to visit his nib maker and tell him which nib he wants. This is the normal trade.

You seem to think I am saying something I'm not. I did not specify at what point in the production of a nib the logo is applied. You also seem to be implying at the all logos are stamped, but I can't be certain that is your view based on the verbiage you are using.

The Goulet nib is "customized" by virtue of the fact that they order the nibs from their supplier with a logo on them. I am not implying they laser engrave their logo on each nib in-house after the nibs are delivered to them. That could very well be possible to do without "destroying" the nib, but I do not know the specifics of that process. Things are laser engraved all the time after production and the items are not "destroyed".

3 minutes ago, Switala said:

Hello Carola.
I can assure you that you are on an excellent tide of good luck. Congratulations on your acquisitions, which without a doubt would be very good with my puppies too.
All beautiful and special.

Regards

Thank you very much, Switala, I appreciate your comment.

50 minutes ago, carola said:

Yesterday, I came home with 3 new pens that more or less qualify as impulsive acquisition.

The first one was very impulsive when it started out. I had seen this beautiful material and I simply WANTED a pen made from it. After several failed attempts to get what I wanted, I finally asked the right person, ordered the material, got a custom pen designed and finally held the finished pen in my hand yesterday. It has two different exchangeable filling systems: an aerometric with a vintage Montblanc nib attached to it and a piston filler waiting for the right vintage Pelikan nib to pop up.

The pen is huge (about 16 cm long and 18 mm in diameter) but very light weight. I am still waiting for the pen rest from the same material as the decision concerning the diameter was only made yesterday and the pen rest will be made to fit it.

If you ask me, this looks like an explosion in space:

The second pen is a little less long term impulsive. 3 or 4 days before I went to collect my custom pen, I was offered this:

Pelikan 101N Lizard from (probably) 1938

Had this pen on my wish list for some years, never thought I would actually find one for my own flock. But... there it is.

And finally, while I was sitting there, waiting for the custom pen to get finished, toying with the Lizard, my eyes wandered to this little beauty:

Parker Lady Duofold Ringtop from 1925-1928

I thought, oh my, what a cute little thingy, you would be a nice addition to my Duofolds (and from now on the oldest pen I own) and aren´t you a pretty green one? Let´s have you come home with the other two, can´t leave you sitting there all on your own, can I?

Holy smokes, no wonder you don't know which one to start with!  These are all gorgeous and very unique, each in its own right. Congrats, Carola! 

52 minutes ago, carola said:

Let´s have you come home with the other two, can´t leave you sitting there all on your own, can I?

This had me laughing out loud, because a couple of weeks ago, I added a second pen to an online purchase because I didn't want the first pen "to sit in the box all by its lonesome". 😁

What is this money pit obsession hole I have fallen into? 

My other passion

5 minutes ago, Bikerchick said:

Holy smokes, no wonder you don't know which one to start with!  These are all gorgeous and very unique, each in its own right. Congrats, Carola! 

This had me laughing out loud, because a couple of weeks ago, I added a second pen to an online purchase because I didn't want the first pen "to sit in the box all by its lonesome". 😁

We definitely understand each other. 😂

9 hours ago, A Smug Dill said:

At least it wasn't a demonstration like this one on TV

O matko!

Jak okropnie!  Jakie nieoczekiwane! (How terrible! How unexpected!)

I'm guessing that nieoczekiwane roughly translates to "didn't see it coming." I'm distracted by understanding most of the Polish, hahaha, and how understated the magician's przepraszam sounded ("I'm sorry"). I'm laughing, but mostly in horror. That poor woman! O mój Boże!

But, actually, that was exactly how I reacted when my reliable Noodler's Bulletproof Black ran a little bit on the page, including falling to the floor in disbelief.

Kidding. 

My right hand is buzzing in a sympathy stigmata now. Hahaha. (Erroneously. Everyone knows, the nail goes in the wrist!)

The magician's confidence! With someone else's hand! I'm glad I didn't actually get cut in half that one time at a show in New York! 

etherX in To Miasto

Fleekair <--French accent.

I was on Pen Chalet ordered some bottles of Iroshizuku, and I have had a rose gold Lamy LX in my cart for a few weeks. (I love my marron LX) 

But at the last moment, I chickened out on buying a "pink" pen and ordered Ruthenium (dark grey) instead. 🤦‍♀️

I was on the Karas Kustoms site to order a 1.1mm stub nib for my Apollo 11 Starliner pen. I looked at The Bottom Shelf tab, and saw the non-fountain pen Bolt V2 in blue and brown. I used to like the brown version, but when I thought of buying one, brown was no longer offered. 

Since it was $25 less than a single color Bolt, I ordered one. I used The Well Appointed Desk blog to link to Karas, plus the coupon code from WAD. With cash back bonus, my order went from $75 to $56 and change. 

Posted Image

On 7/28/2021 at 9:49 PM, NumberSix said:

I was on Pen Chalet ordered some bottles of Iroshizuku, and I have had a rose gold Lamy LX in my cart for a few weeks. (I love my marron LX) 

But at the last moment, I chickened out on buying a "pink" pen and ordered Ruthenium (dark grey) instead. 🤦‍♀️

I have the Rose Gold, and haven’t thought of it as pink. If I didn’t have the coffee Al-Star, I’d want the Marron LX. 

Posted Image

On 7/5/2021 at 9:33 PM, jameswatts said:

Pilot Custom Heritage 912 with Posting nib. Since I’ve been working from home — which really means I’m living with work — I’ve had to use lots of low quality paper and this nib was supposedly created to work with such paper. 

How do you like the pen? I have a vintage Elite with a PO nib and I personally love it! 

7 hours ago, Misfit said:

I was on the Karas Kustoms site to order a 1.1mm stub nib for my Apollo 11 Starliner pen. I looked at The Bottom Shelf tab, and saw the non-fountain pen Bolt V2 in blue and brown. I used to like the brown version, but when I thought of buying one, brown was no longer offered. 

Since it was $25 less than a single color Bolt, I ordered one. I used The Well Appointed Desk blog to link to Karas, plus the coupon code from WAD. With cash back bonus, my order went from $75 to $56 and change. 

Wooowee...nice savings!! :o

Eat The Rich_SIG.jpg

Let's see... I got a Monteverde Limonada because it was on sale and I wanted to hit the free shipping minimum at Pen Chalet? Please tell me other people do this too. What I needed was a sailor ink cartridge, what I got  was 2 sailor inks, 2 sailor ink cartridges, 1 herbin green ink, and a pen.

Free shipping is my downfall. I generally don't like non-flex pens. I mean, I have them, but they're not what I reach for first. 

4 minutes ago, lianali007 said:

Please tell me other people do this too.

Yes, I do this, too. :)