What Was Your Last Impulsive Pen Acquisition?

lgbpinho

1 hour ago, mizgeorge said:

Very happy to oblige

Thanks for indulging me and sharing such a handsome pen. Congratulations!

"When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick; and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin

• Replies 6.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• inkstainedruth

• A Smug Dill

• Misfit

• essayfaire

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

1 hour ago, mizgeorge said:

Very happy to oblige - I'm absolutely delighted with it - it's even nicer than I expected, in absolutely pristine condition, and the herringbone is even lovelier than I expected. I'll drop you a line about the article as well!

cs-93-red-herringbone-1.jpg

cs-93-red-herringbone-2.jpg

cs-93-red-herringbone-3.jpg

cs-93-red-herringbone-4.jpg

Wow. That color. It's gorgeous!  
Congrats on this amazing find. And I'm absolutely delighted for you that it's in pristine condition. 

What is this money pit obsession hole I have fallen into? 

My other passion

A Cross Peerless 125 in Titanium finish. I've been eyeing these pens for a while (so not a super impulsive purchase). I've been pleasantly surprised by how well made it is

I wouldn’t say this was an impulsive purchase, considering I spent over a week trying to choose from what was available.  I was skeptical of paying $150 for a steel nib, but Twin63, and some others, commented on how smooth the FC nibs were, so here we are....and I love it!  This is just a regular steel nib, my only wish was that I had gotten an EF...

Very fast shipping too (2 days) considering how long I’ve been waiting for shipping from other online stores.

1BFD2161-502C-4B28-8AE5-2943A932F589.jpeg

Normally I don't do impulse buys, but this was the closest for me. I bought a Sailor King of Pen ProGear in Midnight Sky with a B nib last month. I love it and the way it shows off the shading and color of my inks. When I first wrote with it I was surprised it wrote as wide as a B on my Visconti HS. I like nibs between M and B and I only buy Jowo nibs in B, but lately I have been using my Nakaya's with B's that write like M's and needed to adjust my writing to be larger with the new pen.

In the back of my mind I've been wanting a KOP with a M to go with the B. I was debating that I didn't need it. If I wanted some thing that wrote like a M that felt more like the KOP I have the Nakaya Dorsal Fin V1 or I could use my MB 149, or the Visconti HS I have with a M nib. Something snapped last night and I clicked buy on a new Sailor KOP ProGear in black with silver trim in M. 

The next part of this long story was eBay directly went to my PayPal to pay without giving me any option as to which PayPal payment method and didn't use my home address from PayPal. It was all too streamlined and it was too late when I noticed eBay had my old shipping address. I had updated eBay with my new address but it has three different places to change and I didn't see that. I connected the seller in Japan and after three messages they canceled the sale and refunded the money and I bought again with the corrected shipping address... such a long story for an impulse buy.

7 hours ago, Geslina said:

I wouldn’t say this was an impulsive purchase, considering I spent over a week trying to choose from what was available.  I was skeptical of paying $150 for a steel nib, but Twin63, and some others, commented on how smooth the FC nibs were, so here we are....and I love it!  This is just a regular steel nib, my only wish was that I had gotten an EF...

Very fast shipping too (2 days) considering how long I’ve been waiting for shipping from other online stores.

1BFD2161-502C-4B28-8AE5-2943A932F589.jpeg

That's a gorgeous pen, Geslina. Your picture does the color so much more justice than their own picture on the FC website. 

My other passion

20 minutes ago, Bikerchick said:

That's a gorgeous pen, Geslina. Your picture does the color so much more justice than their own picture on the FC website. 

FPNers seem to have a very high opinion of FC pens, but every time I go to the FC website to investigate, I find it so hard to see what I'm looking at that I back down. Dark, dark, dark and no detail.

Freaking out a bit here, I put a last minute bid on a vintage Montblanc without really knowing a darn thing about the model/age/issues, etc....tried researching in the last two minutes of the auction and said, “what the heck” without thinking about how many pens I’ve acquired in the last two weeks 😳

And I had just told myself I wouldn’t buy another pen for a least another week after buy-it-now mania on a vacumatic last week!

My wife’s gonna kill me.... I’m gonna have to camp out by the mailbox to intercept 😜

Anyway, I figured I would find pictures of the same pen somewhere to learn about the model, but most similar pens I’ve seen so far is a different model.  I figure unless there’s some really dumb counterfeiters out there copying lower-tiered pens from the 1950s, this pen is genuine....or a frankenpen...or another picture of this pen is buried deeper in google than I’m willing to go

It’s marked 244G, but the shape is more similar to a 342?  I guess that’s why I really dig on the hobby, all the SLEUTHING it entails!!

12D1B25D-1368-47BC-BCF1-7745CE237B00.jpeg

D425A902-FA95-4959-A3CF-166E7CAE9DBC.jpeg

2ABB85FA-B87A-4F71-9C83-EFBFF44CE3AB.jpeg

148DDEE0-4D6A-4FA9-A7FD-7E135788F38E.jpeg

92F1E17C-1BB4-4CE9-9DD0-C66F302DD01D.jpeg

6 hours ago, brokenclay said:

FPNers seem to have a very high opinion of FC pens, but every time I go to the FC website to investigate, I find it so hard to see what I'm looking at that I back down. Dark, dark, dark and no detail.

The pens are very simple, minimalistic, really - but there are some unique designs, and I like the glossy, high polished look of them.  Best of all, the standard steel nib that was included in the price of mine writes very nicely. I’m really glad I got it, and plan on buying at least one more.

1 hour ago, Teterman2005 said:

Freaking out a bit here, I put a last minute bid on a vintage Montblanc without really knowing a darn thing about the model/age/issues, etc....tried researching in the last two minutes of the auction and said, “what the heck” without thinking...

I get the mania about pen purchases as much as the next person, but just a word of caution: it is really not in your own best interests to be bidding on - and likely purchasing - pens that you don't know much about. You can find yourself with a lot of pens you wish you hadn't bought and money you may not be able to recoup.

We all learn by buying (bleep) from time to time, but getting wrapped up in the emotion of last-minute bidding is a fool's errand. Spend time with the pens you have, spend time branching outward and learning about other pens, new and old, that share qualities you like, and then go on your buying spree.

Don't ask me how I know this.

"When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick; and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin

41 minutes ago, JonSzanto said:

I get the mania about pen purchases as much as the next person, but just a word of caution: it is really not in your own best interests to be bidding on - and likely purchasing - pens that you don't know much about. You can find yourself with a lot of pens you wish you hadn't bought and money you may not be able to recoup.

We all learn by buying (bleep) from time to time, but getting wrapped up in the emotion of last-minute bidding is a fool's errand. Spend time with the pens you have, spend time branching outward and learning about other pens, new and old, that share qualities you like, and then go on your buying spree.

Don't ask me how I know this.

So true!!  Thus far I’ve limited myself to getting a good “set” of sheaffers and still ended up with a couple of dinkers in the mix.  Before I go nuts on trying to get a set of duofolds or vacs, I need to take stock of the direction I want to go in and not get hooked on stuff out of my price range 😝

3 hours ago, Teterman2005 said:

Freaking out a bit here, I put a last minute bid on a vintage Montblanc without really knowing a darn thing about the model/age/issues, etc....tried researching in the last two minutes of the auction and said, “what the heck” without thinking about how many pens I’ve acquired in the last two weeks 😳

And I had just told myself I wouldn’t buy another pen for a least another week after buy-it-now mania on a vacumatic last week!

My wife’s gonna kill me.... I’m gonna have to camp out by the mailbox to intercept 😜

Anyway, I figured I would find pictures of the same pen somewhere to learn about the model, but most similar pens I’ve seen so far is a different model.  I figure unless there’s some really dumb counterfeiters out there copying lower-tiered pens from the 1950s, this pen is genuine....or a frankenpen...or another picture of this pen is buried deeper in google than I’m willing to go

It’s marked 244G, but the shape is more similar to a 342?  I guess that’s why I really dig on the hobby, all the SLEUTHING it entails!!

12D1B25D-1368-47BC-BCF1-7745CE237B00.jpeg

D425A902-FA95-4959-A3CF-166E7CAE9DBC.jpeg

2ABB85FA-B87A-4F71-9C83-EFBFF44CE3AB.jpeg

148DDEE0-4D6A-4FA9-A7FD-7E135788F38E.jpeg

92F1E17C-1BB4-4CE9-9DD0-C66F302DD01D.jpeg

Could it be a 224? 

http://www.fountainpen.de/old-30-224.htm

My other passion

A Sailor Professional Gear Slim Mini in Stellar Blue. Not my favourite colour out of the six in the first release, but unfortunately that's the only one left that I could buy at that price. Personally, I'd rank the colours thus:

Taupe ≥ Slate Green ≥ Rose Taupe > Mustard Yellow > Stellar Blue > Blush Pink

and I'd already bought the first two when EndlessPens offered them at <US$100 each during its Black Friday sales last year. Should've bought the Rose Taupe as well back then! (Mustard Yellow was sold out at the time.) I think EndlessPens managed to restock the first release colours once, but they're all gone now and the item listing has completely disappeared; looking everywhere else, the asking prices are all north of US$133. Then I found a unit I could buy for the equivalent of US$112, so I jumped on it. I just love those pens, but specifically the ones with the threads on the end finial onto which to screw the cap for posting.

I endeavour to be frank and truthful in what I write, show or otherwise present, when I relate my first-hand experiences that are not independently verifiable; and link to third-party content where I can, when I make a claim or refute a statement of fact in a thread. If there is something you can verify for yourself, I entreat you to do so, and judge for yourself what is right, correct, and valid. I may be wrong, and my position or say-so is no more authoritative and carries no more weight than anyone else's here.

6 hours ago, A Smug Dill said:

A Sailor Professional Gear Slim Mini in Stellar Blue. Not my favourite colour out of the six in the first release, but unfortunately that's the only one left that I could buy at that price. Personally, I'd rank the colours thus:

Taupe ≥ Slate Green ≥ Rose Taupe > Mustard Yellow > Stellar Blue > Blush Pink

and I'd already bought the first two when EndlessPens offered them at <US$100 each during its Black Friday sales last year. Should've bought the Rose Taupe as well back then! (Mustard Yellow was sold out at the time.) I think EndlessPens managed to restock the first release colours once, but they're all gone now and the item listing has completely disappeared; looking everywhere else, the asking prices are all north of US$133. Then I found a unit I could buy for the equivalent of US$112, so I jumped on it. I just love those pens, but specifically the ones with the threads on the end finial onto which to screw the cap for posting.

I love that Stellar Blue!  Unfortunately, I can’t find any Pro Gear Slim pens at all for less than $140s right now, except on Amazon.  I’ve been considering the regular Slim size in “Blue Dwarf”....but I already have so many blue pens!     Does the mini version come in various nibs, or are they all MF?

18 minutes ago, Geslina said:

Does the mini version come in various nibs, or are they all MF?

The ones with model numbers 11-1503-* all have (no other option but) MF nibs, as do the ones with model numbers 11-1300-* (Stellar Blue, Rose Taupe, etc.) The Morita store-exclusive, which some (re-)sellers are offering on eBay, come in (at least) F and MF nibs. Listings for some of the more colourful ones — with vastly higher asking prices — show every nib option from EF to Zoom and Music between them (but not necessarily all available for a particular model).

39 minutes ago, Geslina said:

I love that Stellar Blue!

I think the marketing images make the colour look more (alluringly) blue-grey, when in reality it looks more like a pale/baby blue. I guess I'll find out if that is actually the case soon, although right now my order is being held up by another item that isn't in stock.

41 minutes ago, Geslina said:

I can’t find any Pro Gear Slim pens at all for less than $140s right now,

The upcoming Sailor Professional Gear Slim Blue Green Nebula was on (pre-order) offer from EndlessPens for US$94 two weeks ago.

I endeavour to be frank and truthful in what I write, show or otherwise present, when I relate my first-hand experiences that are not independently verifiable; and link to third-party content where I can, when I make a claim or refute a statement of fact in a thread. If there is something you can verify for yourself, I entreat you to do so, and judge for yourself what is right, correct, and valid. I may be wrong, and my position or say-so is no more authoritative and carries no more weight than anyone else's here.

I'm not sure this qualifies as impulsive so let's call it unexpected.  My last pen purchase was a Nakaya Dorsal Fin 2 about 2 years ago and I pretty much thought I was done at that point.  However.. my father recently passed away and it resulted in a small amount of money coming my way... so I ordered another Nakaya... specifically a Portable Cigar Ascending Dragon 3 Ao-tamenuri.  It won't show up for another few months and I am counting the days.

26 minutes ago, MHBru said:

I'm not sure this qualifies as impulsive so let's call it unexpected.  My last pen purchase was a Nakaya Dorsal Fin 2 about 2 years ago and I pretty much thought I was done at that point.  However.. my father recently passed away and it resulted in a small amount of money coming my way... so I ordered another Nakaya... specifically a Portable Cigar Ascending Dragon 3 Ao-tamenuri.  It won't show up for another few months and I am counting the days.

Well... if you don't need the Dorsal Fin 2 anymore...

Here! Here! Right overe here! *waving

7 minutes ago, carola said:

Well... if you don't need the Dorsal Fin 2 anymore...

Here! Here! Right overe here! *waving

i'm pretty sure we are beyond the issue of "need" at this point.... :)  But I will wave back at ya   ** waving  :) :) 

33 minutes ago, MHBru said:

Congrats! I had been thinking about getting that pen before I hope you enjoy it. It will have a thinner section than the Dorsal fin. The only one with the section the same as the Dorsal Fin V1/V2 is the 17mm  models. That said I also like my Portable Cigar, Piccolo, and Decapod. I just like the thicker section on my Dorsal Fin v1 a little better and some day will get a 17mm or DF2 to go with it.

3 minutes ago, MHBru said:

i'm pretty sure we are beyond the issue of "need" at this point.... :)  But I will wave back at ya   ** waving  :) :) 

Touché! 😂