What Was Your Last Impulsive Pen Acquisition?

lgbpinho

my last impulsive buy was just earlier today and it is a Jinhao Centennial red koi (gold fish) which is expected to be the nib holder for one of the spare nibs I have lying around...

I admit I don't know what to expect exactly from the pen (I have been swapping nibs on Kaigelus 316 and Moonman M600s but this would be the first Jinhao Centennial) or have the certainty that any spare nib will actually fit...

That however is part of the impulse...and I expect to enjoy the game. Plus, it's a nice colour!

(not here yet, picture from the seller)

1388015428_JinhaoCentennialgoldfish2.jpg.82a9317bda0dec63a65a3877606d4a15.jpg

• Replies 6.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• inkstainedruth

• A Smug Dill

• Misfit

• essayfaire

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

On 1/18/2021 at 9:18 PM, ENewton said:

Yes, it was only a matter of time!

I look forward to your report.

Well, according to the USPS tracking email updates, the pens should be arriving by Friday evening (they've left the regional distribution center as of around 4:30 this afternoon -- but I never know if they're talking Zulu time of my time zone time).  Then of course I'll have to flush them out to get rid of any residual manufacturing oils or debris, and will probably be able to ink at least one of them up on Sunday.  

I got samples of a couple of the Sailor Studio inks (#650 and #943, I think) as well as a sample of Edelstein Moonstone.  Of course I already have a bottle of (old formula) Sailor Jentle Sky High which has NOT been getting the love it deserves recently.... :blush:

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

52 minutes ago, inkstainedruth said:

Well, according to the USPS tracking email updates, the pens should be arriving by Friday evening (they've left the regional distribution center as of around 4:30 this afternoon -- but I never know if they're talking Zulu time of my time zone time).  Then of course I'll have to flush them out to get rid of any residual manufacturing oils or debris, and will probably be able to ink at least one of them up on Sunday.  

I got samples of a couple of the Sailor Studio inks (#650 and #943, I think) as well as a sample of Edelstein Moonstone.  Of course I already have a bottle of (old formula) Sailor Jentle Sky High which has NOT been getting the love it deserves recently.... :blush:

Sailor Ink Studio #650 looks stunning in online reviews and swatches.  I'll be interested in hearing comparisons with other similarly colored inks.   

I used the ink comparison tool on the Anderson Pens website.  I'm still in the hunt for an ink that will match the color of Noodler's Kung Te Cheng (even if it's not nearly as waterproof/UV resistant) but less cloggy and badly behaved otherwise.  #943 is a possibility, but the nib line (as opposed to the swab) makes #650 also a possible contender.  Because much as I've seen KTC categorized as purple, to my eye (and possibly my first bottle) it looks more like a dark indigo with a purple undertone.  Adding water just seems to make it more of a "regular" purple; so if neither of the Sailor Studio inks are a close match, my next step would be to experiment with PhotoFlo or Vanness' White Lightning additive; or even see what happens if I add Noodler's Blue Ghost (which I know Amberlea Davis has used as an additive to increase the water resistance of inks without a dilution of color...). 

Of course I thought the same thing about several other inks that turned out to be not remotely close when seen side by side on a page instead of a computer screen image....  So, who knows.  Maybe the "thick as paint" description I've seen about KTC over the years has something to do with the quality of color as well.... :huh:

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

8 hours ago, Aelia said:

This 1970s Platinum Higo Zogan with an 18K F nib for $99. It's practically new. I think it's only gone through a single cartridge worth of Platinum Blue ink.

Gorgeous! What a score!

I endeavour to be frank and truthful in what I write, show or otherwise present, when I relate my first-hand experiences that are not independently verifiable; and link to third-party content where I can, when I make a claim or refute a statement of fact in a thread. If there is something you can verify for yourself, I entreat you to do so, and judge for yourself what is right, correct, and valid. I may be wrong, and my position or say-so is no more authoritative and carries no more weight than anyone else's here.

2 custom Lusso Fountain pens that I should have in a couple of weeks and a custom Carolina FP that has yet to be started.B8CCF58C-0251-4927-A5AA-DC699EADB773.thumb.png.6be8d863e3728bacf1d4fa1e37e5b8fd.png

Pelikan Toledo Green Hunter & W. Germany 800 with that slightly extra springy regular flex nib, MB 149, Waterman 100 Man, MB Noblise, a Cd'A fountain pen and RB or BP holder, and the wooden looking one is a W. Germany Diplomat. All have 18K/750 nibs.... 2 are nails the Cd'A and the Noblise, the rest are regular flex.

Impulse in the live auction price ended up 3 X my max.........next bottle of ink 2022 or 2023.

DaYPoQV.jpg

In reference to P. T. Barnum; to advise for free is foolish, ........busybodies are ill liked by both factions.

The cheapest lessons are from those who learned expensive lessons. Ignorance is best for learning expensive lessons.

8 minutes ago, Bo Bo Olson said:

Pelikan Toledo Green Hunter & W. Germany 800 com aquela ponta flexível regular ligeiramente extra elástica, MB 149, Waterman 100 Man, MB Noblise, uma caneta-tinteiro Cd'A e porta RB ou BP, e o que parece de madeira é um W. Germany Diplomata. Todos têm pontas 18K / 750 .... 2 são pregos o Cd'A e o Noblise, o resto são flex regulares.

O impulso no preço do leilão ao vivo acabou em 3 X meu máximo ... o próximo frasco de tinta 2022 ou 2023.

DaYPoQV.jpg

This Pelikan Toledo Green Hunter is my holy grail. I still haven't found one in perfect condition, but I'm sure that one day it will come. Congratulations on the beautiful purchase! I wish you happiness with your new toys.

It was the second Toledo I ever had in my hand....and I did not know exactly what it was until a nice poster told me.

I think the original owner died in the early '90's, this was sold by the grandkids of the wife; my guess.

He liked black and gold 800's, there were two in the next lot; six pens of this and that. Both W.Germany; with that great regular flex nib of the W.Germany pens. That had been my second option, they went for my max.

One bid more and my pens would have belonged to that other fellow in the bidding war.

My wife grumbled cubed, until I was able to prove, actually I got a very good deal in used pen prices, then it was only grumble squared.

In reference to P. T. Barnum; to advise for free is foolish, ........busybodies are ill liked by both factions.

The cheapest lessons are from those who learned expensive lessons. Ignorance is best for learning expensive lessons.

On 1/19/2021 at 8:55 PM, inkstainedruth said:

I used the ink comparison tool on the Anderson Pens website.  I'm still in the hunt for an ink that will match the color of Noodler's Kung Te Cheng (even if it's not nearly as waterproof/UV resistant) but less cloggy and badly behaved otherwise.  #943 is a possibility, but the nib line (as opposed to the swab) makes #650 also a possible contender.  Because much as I've seen KTC categorized as purple, to my eye (and possibly my first bottle) it looks more like a dark indigo with a purple undertone.  Adding water just seems to make it more of a "regular" purple; so if neither of the Sailor Studio inks are a close match, my next step would be to experiment with PhotoFlo or Vanness' White Lightning additive; or even see what happens if I add Noodler's Blue Ghost (which I know Amberlea Davis has used as an additive to increase the water resistance of inks without a dilution of color...). 

Of course I thought the same thing about several other inks that turned out to be not remotely close when seen side by side on a page instead of a computer screen image....  So, who knows.  Maybe the "thick as paint" description I've seen about KTC over the years has something to do with the quality of color as well.... :huh:

I tried a sample of KTC a few years ago, and to my eye it was much more blue than purple.  A nice ink, but purple is the only color I really enjoy.

We received the two Pilot Vanishing Points - both with fine nibs - a few days ago.  After cleaning they were inked up and both seem to perform well. 

I am not usually a person who likes fine nibs, but due to circumstances, I am beginning to enjoy them more.  Perhaps I may even purchase an extra fine sometime. 

"Today will be gone in less than 24 hours. When it is gone, it is gone. Be wise, but enjoy! - anonymous today

On 1/19/2021 at 1:45 AM, Bisquitlips said:

Franklin Christoph in Emerald and Ice with a 1.1 italic.

My first FC and very impressed with its quality.

spacer.png

Photo courtesy Spotify.

Franklin Christoph makes excellent pens.  I have two and love their nibs.  

"Today will be gone in less than 24 hours. When it is gone, it is gone. Be wise, but enjoy! - anonymous today

I just ordered a Fine Writing International Fenestro Winter's Night pen. I was a bit iffy about ordering another FWI, not because I had any doubts or reservations about the brand's build quality, but:

• for several earlier models, even though the marketing images showed black steel (JoWo) nibs with silver feathers on the nib body, by the time stock has reached Western markets, the units factory-fitted with the black nibs have sold out, and the pens were only supplied by monotone gold- or silver-coloured nibs instead;
  • with swirly acrylics, no two units are the same, and a pen I order sight unseen could be either dull as dishwater or gorgeous, especially with a pattern such as on the Winter's Night; and
  • the FWI ‘Planets: Mercury’ pen I have takes 3¼ whole turns to uncap, and is quite a chore for any occasion other than a long, continuous writing session.

Fortunately, I was able to confirm with LCdC that this unit has a black nib, and I was much obliged that a photo of the actual units in stock were sent at my request to review, before I committed to placing the order. I read in a review online that this model takes three turns to uncap, which would put it on equal footing with the Opus 88 Picnic (of which we have three here, and for some reason I don't notice the onerous uncapping on those as much); it isn't ideal, but I guess I can live with it when push comes to shove.

I endeavour to be frank and truthful in what I write, show or otherwise present, when I relate my first-hand experiences that are not independently verifiable; and link to third-party content where I can, when I make a claim or refute a statement of fact in a thread. If there is something you can verify for yourself, I entreat you to do so, and judge for yourself what is right, correct, and valid. I may be wrong, and my position or say-so is no more authoritative and carries no more weight than anyone else's here.

8 hours ago, A Smug Dill said:

I just ordered a Fine Writing International Fenestro Winter's Night pen. I was a bit iffy about ordering another FWI, not because I had any doubts or reservations about the brand's build quality, but:

• for several earlier models, even though the marketing images showed black steel (JoWo) nibs with silver feathers on the nib body, by the time stock has reached Western markets, the units factory-fitted with the black nibs have sold out, and the pens were only supplied by monotone gold- or silver-coloured nibs instead;
  • with swirly acrylics, no two units are the same, and a pen I order sight unseen could be either dull as dishwater or gorgeous, especially with a pattern such as on the Winter's Night; and
  • the FWI ‘Planets: Mercury’ pen I have takes 3¼ whole turns to uncap, and is quite a chore for any occasion other than a long, continuous writing session.

Fortunately, I was able to confirm with LCdC that this unit has a black nib, and I was much obliged that a photo of the actual units in stock were sent at my request to review, before I committed to placing the order. I read in a review online that this model takes three turns to uncap, which would put it on equal footing with the Opus 88 Picnic (of which we have three here, and for some reason I don't notice the onerous uncapping on those as much); it isn't ideal, but I guess I can live with it when push comes to shove.

I am sorry, but that much thinking about a purchase completely disqualifies it for a thread on impulse buying. Get with the program! :D

"When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick; and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin

3 hours ago, Dylan Skolnick said:

Pilot Myu 701. I just couldn't resist.

The silver one or the black striped one?

I recently bought on ebay a Bexley Prometheus; interest in the brand was spurred by my undergrad studies at Capital University in Bexley, OH. I'm awaiting delivery which is running behind; it should have come yesterday but the notice says it is "arriving late." I'm anxious to try it out. 

Edited by HogwldFLTR

4 hours ago, HogwldFLTR said:

I recently bought on ebay a Bexley Prometheus; interest in the brand was spurred by my undergrad studies at Capital University in Bexley, OH. I'm awaiting delivery which is running behind; it should have come yesterday but the notice says it is "arriving late." Im anxious to try it out. 

A favorite pen of mine, being of generous girth but not heavy and well-balanced. One pen, that was made from a semi-transparent patterned material, now sports a custom made ink tank that allows it to look like eye-droppered demonstrator without fear of staining the barrel or leaks; another is a very regular writer for me, having become the host for a wonderful big Sheaffer nib from the 1920s. The workmanship on these pens is really high, and it is nice to have a small part of American pen history.

spacer.png

"When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick; and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin