What Was Your Last Impulsive Pen Acquisition?

lgbpinho

• Replies 6.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• inkstainedruth

• A Smug Dill

• Misfit

• essayfaire

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

On 1/16/2021 at 2:23 PM, WLSpec said:

This wasn't an entirely impulsive purchase, as I have been looking at this specific model for a while, but yesterday I decided to pick up a vintage Pelikan 400 Tortoise with an OB nib. I'm really excited for this one - It'll be my first vintage Pelikan, and based on pictures I've seen online, this pen is a beauty. 

OOOH. Pix when you get it!  My first bird was a 1990s era Brown Tortoise, and I have a 400 from the 1950s with an OB nib (but just in the striated green -- not anything fancy like another tortoise).

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

For me, not realiy impulsive because I've been scoping them out for a while, but I pulled the trigger on the 1911S Wicked Witch (music nib) and the 1911S Loch Ness Monster (MF nib).  Hopefully, with priority shipping, I'll have them by the end of the week (although, sadly, not likely in time to have them in hand for Wednesday night's Steel City Nibs' zoom meeting.

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

4 hours ago, Ink Stained Wretch said:

Um, what do those fountain pens cost?

In the absence of any explicit pricing marked on the retail packaging, they are whatever is Daiso's standard unit price in the market in question. In Australia, AUD 2.80 (although I hear the Daiso in Perth charges more for standard-priced items?) I imagine they would be SGD 2.14 in Singapore and JPY 110 in Japan.

Are there photographs of them?

Sorry, I'm not sure what you were actually asking me there. Did you mean:

• Have I taken any photos of the product, when I saw them in store? Yes; so I can tell you factually that photos of the pens exist.
    large.1705665278_DaisoPreppy-wannabepenscolourrange.jpg.1d3b3a07e178c517c27a241e0616cb92.jpg
  • Are there images of the product published by Daiso, in a catalogue and/or on a retail web site? I have no idea, as I don't have knowledge and/or visibility of all of Daiso's retail and marketing operations in different markets around the globe.
  • Has anyone, outside of Daiso's staff and/or agents, put photos of the product on Instagram, a blog, discussion forum or some such online, or attached to reviews/comments against a sellers' product listings for the pens? If there is, I'm not aware of it. I was originally intending to review the pen when I first came across them, because AmandaW asked me about it; but I got lazy and distracted by other things, so I sent her one of them to test out herself.

or were you requesting that I take photos of one or more units I bought and show them to you?

Are they available on-line?

I don't know. Daiso doesn't operate an online sales channel in Australia. There may be resellers on eBay, AliExpress and the like. I know Daiso sells a limited range of products in direct online retail in the US; but since that is irrelevant to me as an individual consumer, I haven't paid any attention to what it does or does not sell in that manner.

I endeavour to be frank and truthful in what I write, show or otherwise present, when I relate my first-hand experiences that are not independently verifiable; and link to third-party content where I can, when I make a claim or refute a statement of fact in a thread. If there is something you can verify for yourself, I entreat you to do so, and judge for yourself what is right, correct, and valid. I may be wrong, and my position or say-so is no more authoritative and carries no more weight than anyone else's here.

3 hours ago, inkstainedruth said:

For me, not realiy impulsive because I've been scoping them out for a while, but I pulled the trigger on the 1911S Wicked Witch (music nib) and the 1911S Loch Ness Monster (MF nib).  Hopefully, with priority shipping, I'll have them by the end of the week (although, sadly, not likely in time to have them in hand for Wednesday night's Steel City Nibs' zoom meeting.

Yes, it was only a matter of time!

I look forward to your report.

3 hours ago, inkstainedruth said:

1911S Loch Ness Monster

I hope you like it, since I have been hyping up its looks. 😉

I ended up impulse ordering a second Pilot Vanishing Point earlier today. I have really been enjoying the black/rhodium <F> that I purchased to make quick notes, etc. (currently inked with Take-sumi) I am thinking I could expand into using one for journaling, with a medium or broad nib, so I ordered a red/rhodium <M>. 

1 hour ago, A Smug Dill said:

I hear the Daiso in Perth charges more for standard-priced items?

Yes, $3.30 here.

Will work for pens... :unsure:

5 hours ago, Ink Stained Wretch said:

Are there photographs of them?

I included a photo of two of the Daiso "Preppy-Wannabe" pens in this post earlier in the thread. Smug's picture shows new colour variations.

Will work for pens... :unsure:

35 minutes ago, AmandaW said:

I included a photo of two of the Daiso "Preppy-Wannabe" pens in this post earlier in the thread.

Sorry, but no; your photo shows the two colour variants of the Daiso-Hauser fountain pen. I'm pretty sure I sent you my unopened blue Daiso Preppy-wannabe (like the stack on the far right in my photo taken in-store) along with a bunch of ink sample vials late last year.

I endeavour to be frank and truthful in what I write, show or otherwise present, when I relate my first-hand experiences that are not independently verifiable; and link to third-party content where I can, when I make a claim or refute a statement of fact in a thread. If there is something you can verify for yourself, I entreat you to do so, and judge for yourself what is right, correct, and valid. I may be wrong, and my position or say-so is no more authoritative and carries no more weight than anyone else's here.

Franklin Christoph in Emerald and Ice with a 1.1 italic.

My first FC and very impressed with its quality.

spacer.png

Photo courtesy Spotify.

"The further a society drifts from truth, the more it will hate those who speak it."  - Selwyn Duke    

3 hours ago, Bisquitlips said:

Franklin Christoph in Emerald and Ice with a 1.1 italic.

My first FC and very impressed with its quality.

spacer.png

Photo courtesy Spotify.

That's a beauty. Do you plan to eyedropper it?

On 1/15/2021 at 9:00 PM, inkstainedruth said:

I paid $3 US each for the Sheaffer and the Penatia.  

I was able to find converters to fit the two Skripserts I have, so, I'm hopeful.... 

Well, that's a pretty good price for each :thumbup:. I am seeing some folks offering Sheaffer cartridge pens for $35. Really crazy, IMO. And for $3 that Penatia is a good buy too, also IMO. If I had to choose I'd go with the Sheaffer for the larger ink capacity and the plastic, as opposed to stainless steel, section.

On a sacred quest for the perfect blue ink mixture!

ink stained wretch filling inkwell

Green Jotter desk pen.  Have a green refill for it.  I have so many desk bases.  

"Don't hurry, don't worry. It's better to be late at the Golden Gate than to arrive in Hell on time."
--Sign in a bar and grill, Ormond Beach, Florida, 1960.

Okay, thanks. That photograph was what I was looking for. They appear a lot like what today are being sold as Stypen X-pens, and of course Platinum Preppies as was stated before.

If I see some priced lower than Preppies on-line I might even get tempted to buy a couple, or more.

I don't think that there's a Daiso store near me.

On a sacred quest for the perfect blue ink mixture!

ink stained wretch filling inkwell

2 hours ago, mauckcg said:

Fontoplumo just listed a couple "ugly" Primary Manipulation Leonaro's from batch two.  Snagged one.

Oh dear.  I've got the Stromboli and love it but I took a look at the "ugly" ones out of curiosity and they certainly don't look ugly to me.  And then I saw the Primary Manipulation 4.  And it's a combination of colours I love.  And I don't need another one ...........

I'll keep telling myself that.  In the meantime another impulsive purchase arrived today - the Platinum Izumo  Red Tamenuri with B nib, courtesy of an excellent price at Cult Pens.  It's beautiful and is writing perfectly straight out of the box.  I love Urushi anyway and can see a Nakaya somewhere in my future.  How far away that future might be depends on whether I can resist the Primary Manipulation 4, and whether I can find it at a good price.

Enjoy your new pen when it arrives!

I purchased one of the first run of the "Vesuvio" Brooks material. It wasn't an impulse, per se, other than it was a limited edition and would certainly sell out if I waited too long. The down side is that due to the variability in the materials, the pen I received is not really what I was hoping to get. Everything about it is as excellent as I have come to expect from them, but the wild card in the mix - the color mix - really missed the mark. As such, I'm going to find a new home for it by selling, and probably not purchase pens that have this large a variance in looks without having some form of visual evidence before purchase.

"When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick; and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin

16 minutes ago, christam said:

Oh dear.  I've got the Stromboli and love it but I took a look at the "ugly" ones out of curiosity and they certainly don't look ugly to me.  And then I saw the Primary Manipulation 4.  And it's a combination of colours I love.  And I don't need another one ...........

I'll keep telling myself that.  In the meantime another impulsive purchase arrived today - the Platinum Izumo  Red Tamenuri with B nib, courtesy of an excellent price at Cult Pens.  It's beautiful and is writing perfectly straight out of the box.  I love Urushi anyway and can see a Nakaya somewhere in my future.  How far away that future might be depends on whether I can resist the Primary Manipulation 4, and whether I can find it at a good price.

Enjoy your new pen when it arrives!

The upside in this case, since there are only three, I know what my pen will look like. I missed out on batch one and two, 4 and the gold one were announced while at work.  I'll be more than happy with this one.

9dcufwacyza61.jpg.ec51b235440a273793df04363eeaffcb.jpg

This 1970s Platinum Higo Zogan with an 18K F nib for $99. It's practically new. I think it's only gone through a single cartridge worth of Platinum Blue ink.

After doing a deep clean, it writes very well with J. Herbin Perle Noire. A review is coming soon!!

Edited by Aelia