Sailor Converter

TrixyMalicious

I was wondering if there was a higher quality converter for a 1911L pen other than the one that came with it. Seems cheap compared to the rest of the pen and the piston action isn't as smooth as I would like.

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• tinta

• Algester

• AndyYNWA

• fly_us

The Sailor converters are disgracefully shoddy. I always keep a spare or two on hand. You'd best learn how to disassemble and reassemble them so you can clean them when ink gets behind the piston.

Rationalizing pen and ink purchases since 1967.

I have bought few months back the aerometric converters when they were offered on ebay ( 2 of them )

They are well constructed... But you' ll have to use a syringe to fill them up completly ... I am not totally satisfied with them.

This is the biggest downside of Sailor fountain pen, while they have the best nib, their pens have also the worst ink capacity ( piston fillers included ).

I am looking forward to set the sailor 21k nib to an ébonite eyedropper fountain pen to resolve this problem.

There is a cloudy, manufacturing residue inside most new Sailor converters. I have found that they all had to be thoroughly flushed out with water + a drop of detergent. Some I had to take apart & scrub the converter's tube with a wet pipe cleaner to remove all the white residue.

It is good to keep a few extra Sailor converters as back-ups, in case yours becomes cranky.

I love Sailor's pens & nibs but not their converters.

*Sailor 1911S, Black/gold, 14k. 0.8 mm. stub(JM) *1911S blue "Colours", 14k. H-B "M" BLS (PB)

*2 Sailor 1911S Burgundy/gold: 14k. 0.6 mm. "round-nosed" CI (MM) & 14k. 1.1 mm. CI (JM)

*Sailor Pro-Gear Slim Spec. Ed. "Fire",14k. (factory) "H-B"

*Kaweco SPECIAL FP: 14k. "B",-0.6 mm BLS & 14k."M" 0.4 mm. BLS (PB)

*Kaweco Stainless Steel Lilliput, 14k. "M" -0.7 mm.BLS, (PB)

I have the black luster 1911 so the section is metal so its a no go to convert it to an eyedropper. Its such a shame that pens costing more than 200 dollars don't have the option for a converter that looks the part of the pen. I really feel like the Sailor converter came out of a Jinhao.

At least you still have one. Just reveived my Koshu Inden today and find out there is no converter included. I paid more than $300 but only get 2 cartridges. Come on, Sailor.

WHAT>?! that should already be included... talk to the seller if he forgot

Unfortunately, he said the original package doesn't come with it. He also suprised when i emailed him and double check with his supplier and confirm that :(

I think it is because Sailor don't want people to mess with ink on the leather so cartridge is the safer bet.

Unfortunately, he said the original package doesn't come with it. He also suprised when i emailed him and double check with his supplier and confirm that :(

I think it is because Sailor don't want people to mess with ink on the leather so cartridge is the safer bet.

that could be but the section isnt bound by leather since its shaped like the Arita and susutake pens...

that could be but the section isnt bound by leather since its shaped like the Arita and susutake pens...

I know. But i think Sailor knows many of us like to have inky fingers :D.

I have the black luster 1911 so the section is metal so its a no go to convert it to an eyedropper. Its such a shame that pens costing more than 200 dollars don't have the option for a converter that looks the part of the pen. I really feel like the Sailor converter came out of a Jinhao.

I never pay attention to urban legends about things like the metal section, and haven't had any problem in 6 years of having the Sailor filled constantly. I use only "safe" inks like Waterman and Iroshizuko and keep the pen in active rotation.

It has never burped, as ALL my plastic section EDs have, some it seems once a week on carpets or walls... :(

So please advance with caution and give it a thought, I'm not underwriting the experiment if it fails for you.

I've turned all kinds of pens into with a metal section into EDs, sometimes it didn't work out (mostly I'll blame the "less safe" ink) so I washed it up and put the converter back in and none's the wiser if it didn't work out.

I was wondering if there was a higher quality converter for a 1911L pen other than the one that came with it. Seems cheap compared to the rest of the pen and the piston action isn't as smooth as I would like.

I really don't find that the Sailor converters are substantially lower quality than the deluxe Parker converters ( I have both, and just compared them). The Platinum converters are pretty with their gold cap, but still a similar level of quality.

What I really want is a Pilot Con-70 with ends to fit a Sailor.

fpn_1412827311__pg_d_104def64.gif

“Them as can do has to do for them as can’t.

And someone has to speak up for them as has no voices.”

Granny Aching

I too would prefer a larger capacity converter, but I really don't have any big issues with the Sailor converters. My every day pen is a Realo PG with a Naginata-Togi nib, but I also rotate two other Naginata-Togi nibs with converters and rarely have an issue with running out of ink. The converters are easily taken apart and cleaned. I don't find the quality significantly lower than most converters either.

I enjoy MB 146 pens, Sailor, Pilot and Platinum pens as well. I have a strong attraction to dark red and muted green ink, colors I dislike for everything but FP ink. I also enjoy practicing my handwriting and attempting to improve it. I love the feel of quality paper under a gold nib.

For most of my Sailor sections, the converters have enough capacity for me.

Only the KOP King Eagle and the 1911 Large King Cobra were created for larger ink capacity converters that unfortunately do not exist.

I always buy the gold colored converters with the pens, when the silver colored ones come with the pen.

Next year I'll try to get myself a KOP demonstrator and turn it into an eyedropper. Hopefully it will work out.

A collector of inks, currently doing my own ink challenge.

IG: mcvanwijk1

Where can you get Sailor standard converters with a gold plated collar?

*Sailor 1911S, Black/gold, 14k. 0.8 mm. stub(JM) *1911S blue "Colours", 14k. H-B "M" BLS (PB)

*2 Sailor 1911S Burgundy/gold: 14k. 0.6 mm. "round-nosed" CI (MM) & 14k. 1.1 mm. CI (JM)

*Sailor Pro-Gear Slim Spec. Ed. "Fire",14k. (factory) "H-B"

*Kaweco SPECIAL FP: 14k. "B",-0.6 mm BLS & 14k."M" 0.4 mm. BLS (PB)

*Kaweco Stainless Steel Lilliput, 14k. "M" -0.7 mm.BLS, (PB)