What Do You Do With The Pens In Your Collection?

gammada

This post is going to be a tad confusing, but please bear with me.

My Safari/ Vista/ Al-Star collection is far from complete and I still get excited whenever a new color comes out or a limited edition is released, and yet, after doing some experiments with the stub nibs and custom grinding one of them, I've come to the conclusion that I need something different.

I mean, it's good to show at a meeting with a different pen each time, or to have some "rare" pens kept as NOS, but in the end I'm starting to miss the point of having pens that you will never use or will only use sporadically or that if changed, will give the exact same writing feel. Got many pens that have never been inked, even if my pen rotation includes up to 5 pens.

So, what I really want to know if am missing something on Safari collecting or if it would be best for me to keep the pens I like the most and expand to other pen frontiers?

Thank you for your replies.

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• gammada

• christof

• thmsjordan

• Cole_Phelps

I think most FP enthusiasts have gone through a phase where they just want to buy every pen they see in every color it ever came out. With time and experience quite a few of them conclude that sometimes less is more.

Safaris are indeed a sort of addiction. But they also become stale fast.

Get yourself an 'upgrade' pen and you 'll most likely get less interested in collecting all the colors.

At least that's what happened to me. :)

So, what I really want to know if am missing something on Safari collecting or if it would be best for me to keep the pens I like the most and expand to other pen frontiers?

I'm new to Safari collecting, so I can't offer any sound advice, but your question interests me and I'll be eager to read the replies.

~ Justifying pen purchases since 2013 ~

I think collecting requires a certain kind of human personality, like artists or engineers. I've met collectors and they are focused and insatiable. They never seem to tire out. They sell suitcases of pens, turn around and collect more.

As for me, I had a green Al-star for 10 years. The cap now won't snap back on so I got a copper orange which I love. I have 6 pens and I use them to write. I did go through an insane period, which didn't last long. Having too much stuff I don't use doesn't make me feel good.

I love pens, love the crazy virtuosos who hunt down rare pens and curate gorgeous collections. I find collectors so entertaining!! But I have to accept I am just a bystander, easily satisfied. I use my pens to write with.

I think collecting requires a certain kind of human personality, like artists or engineers. I've met collectors and they are focused and insatiable. They never seem to tire out. They sell suitcases of pens, turn around and collect more.

As for me, I had a green Al-star for 10 years. The cap now won't snap back on so I got a copper orange which I love. I have 6 pens and I use them to write. I did go through an insane period, which didn't last long. Having too much stuff I don't use doesn't make me feel good.

I love pens, love the crazy virtuosos who hunt down rare pens and curate gorgeous collections. I find collectors so entertaining!! But I have to accept I am just a bystander, easily satisfied. I use my pens to write with.

I'm in the same boat. I have a Safari, two 2000s, one Dialog 3, and a Studio--all of which I use on a regular basis. I'm not in the market for anything else.

Safaris are indeed a sort of addiction. But they also become stale fast.

Get yourself an 'upgrade' pen and you 'll most likely get less interested in collecting all the colors.

At least that's what happened to me. :)

Indeed, after trying out almost all nibs Lamy has to offer for these pens, I need something else to fill my writing needs. Not saying that the Safari is not a great pen, it is, but having 20+ pens that look and write the exact same way is not very enticing anymore.

I'm new to Safari collecting, so I can't offer any sound advice, but your question interests me and I'll be eager to read the replies.

:D

I use my pens to write with.

"I use my pens to write with" That's the very reason I got back to using writing instruments after many years of keyboarding or tapping my ideas, thoughts and random notes. And that's the very reason I started to question this soft-addiction to buying all available colours for this pen -some at very outrageous prices!

I agree that collectors posses a personality of their own and they have their place in the world of penmanship, but I would like to think of myself as someone much more practical.

I'm in the same boat. I have a Safari, two 2000s, one Dialog 3, and a Studio--all of which I use on a regular basis. I'm not in the market for anything else.

Enough is enough. Agreed!

I agree that collectors posses a personality of their own and they have their place in the world of penmanship, but I would like to think of myself as someone much more practical.
...Enough is enough. Agreed!

But in the title of your post, you're asking about collections and in the post itself you call it your Safari/ Vista/ Al-Star collection....?
I think that a pen collection and pens for use are two completely different things. Maybe you should first think about this question. Do you want pens for use (then a single pen would be enough) or do you want to build a serious pen collection. This two things have nothing in common, believe me.
People who are buying pen after pen, just to find out that they want another one, are definitely no collectors.
There's another problem with collecting modern pens: They still were manufactured, and nearly every Year (for example the Safaris and AL-Stars) comes new models to the market. Good for Lamy....not so good for your wallet.
That's why I decided to collect only vintage pens. For example, my Safari collection ist quite small. I only wanted the very first colors but in perfect shape. The collection is finished, almost. But one thing is for sure: these pens will never see any ink (in my life).
16399210551_e746629e3d_k.jpg
And because a (almost) finished collecction is quite boring, I also collect some other pens, brands and models...
17788534196_e816eb6729_k.jpg
15688289373_4cce25e7a0_k.jpg
But again, this pens will never see any use. Of course I am writing with a fountain pen too....but that's another story.
C.
Edited by christof

I think that a pen collection and pens for use are two completely different things. Maybe you should first think about this question. Do you want pens for use (then a single pen would be enough) or do you want to build a serious pen collection. This two things have nothing in common, believe me.
People who are buying pen after pen, just to find out that they want another one, are definitely no collectors.

I never thought about it that way. How would you call people who buy "pen after pen, just to find out that they want another one"? Addicted to buying pens?

I would suggest that your green Al-Star has a lifetime warranty. Now that you have a replacement to use, why not send it to Lamy & let them see what they can do about that cap not closing?

Edited by thmsjordan

No, I would call them people who are looking for the perfect pen.

c.

I have seen this before as a musician. I am a bassist myself and I work professionally even though I have a day job. Just check out a site called talkbass, and you will see endless discussions of all kinds, from players looking for the ultimate bass. Most of these kids cannot do the work I do because they have never done the work of really honing their craft. It is tragic to watch, but I see some parallel in the fountain pen world.

I think with pens, as with basses, it is good to do your homework, find something good and then make something happen with it. Collecting and looking for a better Bass, pen, or whatever is a slippery slope.

Granted, some people are collectors, and God bless them, but many are just looking for something better, not realizing that what they have is good enough and just needs to be fully utilized.

Adjustment is what most basses need - a good professional adjustment. Then the player practices to perfect their art. I am starting to look at the fountain pen the same way. I have several Safari/Al-Stars I like and a Studio I really like. Time to get them set up by a professional and then practice my penmanship. Hell, it worked for me as a musician, why not this as well?

No need to move up until my skill level demands it, if it ever really does.

Just my humble $.02

But in the title of your post, you're asking about collections and in the post itself you call it your Safari/ Vista/ Al-Star collection....?

Well, I guess it depends on your particular definition of what exactly constitutes a 'collector'. I respect the fact that you buy some of your pens without any intention to use them, but many pen collectors here on FPN have large collections of very specific pens that they buy with the intent to use on a rotation basis. Where will that definition leave car collectors for example?

From my point of view -and considering that am a collector of cameras and handheld computing devices as well- the most pride and joy that I feel whenever people come visit my home and inquires about these devices, it's the fact that more than half of the items in said collections, were used by my at some point in history. I got a relationship with them, either direct or indirect. So were my pens until I got hooked on getting every single color of them!

Addressing your point on buying pen after pen, just to find out I need another, it's not what this inquiry is all about. What I intended to know was, what other use do you have for an extensive Lamy pen collection that includes many pens that are identical but for their color? I've tried different nibs, custom nibs and yet I find that if I keep 5 or so pens, I can preserve their entire writing experience; that got me wondering if maybe am missing something. I refuse to limit my pen world horizons to these pens, I want to experience a wider gamut of writing experiences, which after all, is what it's all about.

I think with pens, as with basses, it is good to do your homework, find something good and then make something happen with it. Collecting and looking for a better Bass, pen, or whatever is a slippery slope.

Adjustment is what most basses need - a good professional adjustment. Then the player practices to perfect their art. I am starting to look at the fountain pen the same way. I have several Safari/Al-Stars I like and a Studio I really like. Time to get them set up by a professional and then practice my penmanship. Hell, it worked for me as a musician, why not this as well?

No need to move up until my skill level demands it, if it ever really does.

Just my humble $.02

Agreed!

All my pens are cycled through use, except those I am still waiting to overhaul.

Nature is the one song of praise that never stops singing. - Richard Rohr

Poets don't draw. They unravel their handwriting and then tie it up again, but differently. - Jean Cocteau

Ο Θεός μ 'αγαπάς

I agree with Christof, I also keep my rarest Lamy Fountain Pens unused. Some of them are older than 25 years but have probably never been used. A rare safari is worth a lot and you should try your best to keep it in mint condition. I would feel guilty if I'd do any damage to the pen. :)

C.P.