Got M1000 Now My Other Pens Pale

OCArt

I recently acquired a M1000 with a broad nib. That big soft nib has me spoiled and I no longer want to use my other pens-- even the M805 is no match. My MB149 that I got 1983 now feels like a nail.

Is there any cure?

We Are Our Ancestors’ Wildest Dreams

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Kugelschreiber

• fplover01

• adyf

• pen tom

That's a beautiful pen but an expensive infatuation. I misread the title of your post and thought the M1000 caused you put your other pens up for sale.

PELIKAN - Too many birds in the flock to count. My pen chest has proven to be a most fertile breeding ground.

fpn_1508261203__fpn_logo_300x150.jpg

THE PELIKAN'S PERCH - A growing reference site for all things Pelikan

Congratulations. My M1000 (F nib) is my favorite modern Pelikan.

"In times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act."

~ George Orwell

I too bought my first M1000 thru the classifieds a few months ago. I love it. Since then I bought 2 1000s at the DC pen show. They are, a 1005, demonstrator that I have yet to ink. It is so beautiful and also a gold cap model I think that its a 1050? Its black with a green ink window and a gold cap.

I love the soft nibs, the looks and the feel. I then decided to try some older models. I've bought an am awaiting a 100 and an Ibis. I'm trying to educate myself on the older models.

Actually .... you may have wandered into quick sand. The M1000 line is said to be noticeably 'different' (flexy, or soft) from the other modern Souverans, (I would not know as they are both out of reach for me [financially] and a little big for my taste) however: It you have the opportunity I recommend you try some of the vintage offerings which are known to be either 'softer' (similar to the 1000) or flexy. I have a 50's vintage 100 which is just barely not too flexible for me, (I'm a lefty ovewriter) and it is a very fun nib to slide across the paper.

You may have stumbled into trouble, ... of the fun variety.

I agree that the M1000 is a heckofapen.

I's like to find an older all black M1000,m but the cost has gone up so darned high that it's prohibitive.

Enjoy your new pen!

Is there any cure?

Trying a vintage 400 perhaps? Their nibs have a nice semi-flex feel, and you could get three or four for the price of a single new M1000.

Although then you'll probably want to have all the shapes (400,400N,400NN) and colours (green, brown and black, not counting the elusive light tortoise), so you're in for some expenses either way, I'm afraid.

Pelikan gold nibs have all disappointed me due to their lack of "character", until I've got myself a m1000. Should have started my flock from the biggest down.

I recently acquired a M1000 with a broad nib. That big soft nib has me spoiled and I no longer want to use my other pens-- even the M805 is no match. My MB149 that I got 1983 now feels like a nail.

Is there any cure?

Yes, if you bought the green striped one get the black one or vice versa. ;-)

Edited by adyf

I find the M1000 a bit too big, but after all the good things that people say about it, I am beginning to think i need to try one. Sadly it is very expensive and out of reach for now.

Is there any cure?

Wonderful pen, hope you enjoy using it. As for a cure, well the bad news is that there isn't one! The good news is that you are now the proud owner of an exceptional fountain pen - use it with pleasure and don't be surprised if you have another before too long, they are very addictive :)

I have had an M1000 (green stripe) for several years, and I really like it - a lot. But, I got a B nib, and that is too much for most of my writing in day to day use. I've been thinking about getting another M1XXX for a long time (expensive proposition as others have pointed out, but I can afford if I really want to do it); however, the limitation of green stripe and solid black has held me back. I really wish Pelikan would offer it in some other iterations.

In any case (plug coming here), I think I have resolved the problem of the B nib being too much for my regular use. Missing-pen.de has M1000 nibs in all factory available sized for about half (less?) of what they go for from U.S. Pelikan dealers, and I ordered an F the other day. If I am not mistaken, that F on my M1000 will be a lot like an M on most of my other pens. I'll soon see.

Not being paid for this but, like a number of others here, I found Rolf very pleasant to deal with, most accommodating.

I find the M1000 a bit too big, but after all the good things that people say about it, I am beginning to think i need to try one. Sadly it is very expensive and out of reach for now.

Keep your eye out for a good condition used one on eBay or the FPN classifieds. Both mine came from eBay.

I know but the M800 experience has depleted my budget. I need to wait a bit before I can indulge again in an expensive pen and I would like to have a 6th M80x (805 Stresemann). Or perhaps the M1000 could come before this.

To be honest, I bought an M800 Tortoise and an M805 Stresemann before I bought the first M1000. If I'd have bought the M1000 first I don't think I'd have bought the other two as I like the M1000 that much. I'd try the M1000 first especially as you have multiple M80x's.

To be honest, I bought an M800 Tortoise and an M805 Stresemann before I bought the first M1000. If I'd have bought the M1000 first I don't think I'd have bought the other two as I like the M1000 that much. I'd try the M1000 first especially as you have multiple M80x's.

I agree with adyf. I first bought a 605 and an 800 years ago. A few months ago I bought a used 1000 thru the classifdies. I love the nib on the 1000 so much that I'm thinking of selling the 800 and 605. But I do own an old style 800 that also has a wonderful nib. But thats more because of it's smoothness rather than softness.

Anyway, I guess I'd buy a 1000 first. The softness of the nib is wonderful.

Yup ! If you like a big, fat, heavy fountain pen, that writes well, an M1000 is hard to beat.

I like mine for just those reasons, . . . . . until time comes to TAKE it somewhere. I love it at home.

Auf freiem Grund mit freiem Volke stehn.
Zum Augenblicke dürft ich sagen:
Verweile doch, du bist so schön !