Japanese Eyedroppers

Dhruv_Sood

Hi,

I'm interested in Japanese eyedroppers but Namiki and Danitrio are too pricey to purchase right now unless the rupee appreciates a bit.

Can you recommend any japanese eyedroppers with shut-off mechanism (that's the thing I like about them, otherwise I can just purchase a romillo)? Even vintage ones will do if they can be bought.

Regards

Dhruv

Edited by Dhruv_Sood

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• rpsyed

• Dhruv_Sood

• Algester

• zaddick

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I've long been fascinated by the system as well. I have a Danitrio Mikado coming later this week and an Eboya Kyouka in the next month or so hopefully. I'm excited to get to try the system out. It seems like nibs.com has the Eboya Houga for $450 in the small size, with the eyedropper filler. That's the cheapest modern pen you can buy brand new that I know of. Danitrio has stopped production of their plain ebonite pens as well as their "recession urushi" pens, so the cheapest from them is ~$1000.

I hear vintage Japanese eyedroppers can be obtained much cheaper than the modern eyedroppers from Yahoo! Japan but I have no experience buying like that. Those pens used cork for the rear seal and would likely need their seals replaced, which I understand is a somewhat tricky repair as the shut-off valve rod doesn't easily separate from the blind cap, making it difficult to get to the rear seal.

I own a Romillo and the eyedropper without shut-off works great. However, the Romillo - depending on the model - is more expensive than the Eboya eyedropper pens and roughly the same price as the Danitrio pens.

Edited by rpsyed

Sometimes used Danitrio pens come up here. That or a new Eboya are your best modern bets, as Rpsyed said. What is your budget?

If you want less blah, blah, blah and more pictures, follow me on Instagram!

Thank you for rpsyed. I'll try yahoo! Japan and eboya. :)

Hi Zaddick,

My budget is same as the price of namiki emperor basic version. I can buy it in 2-3 months when I am done saving up. I'm just doing this to kind of "test the water" as I have never used an eyedropper before.

Regards

Dhruv

Are basic Namiki Emperor pens made anymore? I thought they discontinued the plain urushi Emperors and now only produce Maki-e and Chinkin pens for the Emperor line. I don't know if you have any FPN members near you - I know there's a few members from India on here - perhaps one of them would let you test their Dani or Emperor out. The filling system should be much like anything else, with the exception of having to undo the shut-off valve for extended writing. Probably not a good pen to carry or use while out running errands, but if you want a desk pen, I think you'll be fine.

Edited by rpsyed

Seals on eyedroppers are easily repaired.

Vintage will be less expensive of course.

stan

Formerly Ryojusen Pens
The oldest and largest buyer and seller of vintage Japanese pens in America.

Member: Pen Collectors of America & Fuente, THE Japanese Pen Collectors Club

I do have some indian FPN members who love closeby but none of them have a Danitrio or Emperor.

The basic emperors are still produced, but with a different design. They have those rings on the cap now. The basic emperors get them more money than the maki-e ones since those are limited editions mostly, so why kill a cash cow.

I believe it's as good as a pen for writing when not on the desk as custom 823, both need opening of the shut-off valve before starting writing. I have big hands so an emperor should be okay for me.

I did go to Yahoo! Japan but didn't see any eyedropper pens when I entered search for them.

Thank you.

Thank you stan for your input.

Oh okay. I didn't know they made a new version with rings, very cool.

Good luck! I hope you find some thing that works for you soon! If you get that Emperor, please post about it. Those are some gorgeous pens with the most elegant-looking nibs.

From what I can tell, the basic Emperors are in the $2000 range and not as easy to find as they used to be, at least in the US. (I am not an expert on the pens, just got curious as to the price after your earlier post.) For that kind of money, I think Danitrio offers a better value unless you have to have the #50 nib (which I could totally understand). If you are ok with a smaller #6 nib, the Danitrio Densho is a decent sized eye-dropper. I have one but don't use it terribly often. If I was buying again, I'd go with a Mikado or Genkai if you want a jumbo pen. I think the Genkai is larger than the Namiki emperor, although the nib is not the same size at all.

If you want less blah, blah, blah and more pictures, follow me on Instagram!

@rpsyed: Thank You. I will post about it whenever i get it and try to do a review. I am left with very little options on what to purchase in a $2000 range since I have rejected all bespoke pen makers so I am expecting this purchase to go ahead.

@zaddick: I am getting one for $1700, brand new. I usually purchase the products I want from the country where they are made. It's about the #50 nib. Love that. :)

Plus all that ink so I don't have to worry about refilling for 2-3 weeks. :)

You can get the #50 nib and Japanese eyedropper from Danitrio too. The original was made from 24kt gold; Danitrio's website indicates that they've changed the material to 18kt but it's still available. The model is called the Yokozuna.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v392/winedoc/Maki-e/IMG_3010.jpg

Comparison with a #8 nib - roughly the size of an MB 149 nib. The nib and feed are handmade by a Japanese nibmeister.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v392/winedoc/Maki-e/IMG_3013.jpg

I have no idea what the price would be on one of these but they look pretty darn cool. I personally like clipless pens most when it comes to urushi - that's just a personal preference thing. The Namiki Emperor Flat-top in red urushi would be pretty awesome though ...

Here's a few threads if you want to learn more about the Danitrio Yokozuna.

https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/topic/83181-gojira-godzilla-or-yokozunawhatever-you-call-it/

https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/topic/52202-godzilla-has-landed/

https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/topic/66585-fathers-day-weekend-with-gojira/

I prefer clips on my pens. The pen looks amazing but isn't it a little too thick? I'll still stick to the normal namiki emperor and a vintage japanese eyedropper. I'll enquire the price for the Yokozuna from somewhere.

@Algester: how about not purchasing anything for 5-6 months and then getting a Japanese vintage eyedropper? That's what I plan to do. Maybe if you possess some self-control, you'll have it soon.

I prefer clips on my pens. The pen looks amazing but isn't it a little too thick? I'll still stick to the normal namiki emperor and a vintage japanese eyedropper. I'll enquire the price for the Yokozuna from somewhere.

@Algester: how about not purchasing anything for 5-6 months and then getting a Japanese vintage eyedropper? That's what I plan to do. Maybe if you possess some self-control, you'll have it soon.

I was half joking about the Yokuzuna - the pen is pretty massive. Though the Emperor also is massive. The Yokozuna also tapers quite a bit at the section. Though unfortunately I think the Yokozuna will be more expensive than the Emperor :unsure: The Junikaku and Bamboo models are MSRP $2000, street price $1600. I guess that at minimum it will be $400 more than those models.

Edited by rpsyed

i have the money but I'm saving that up for next year when I'll be buying a CH912 FA nib and a my first Sailor pen... but I can only pay in cash... I only am stuck with a 20USD credit budget... Edited by Algester

^That's a very low amount for a credit card. I face similar hurdles in my purchases when things are too expensive to pay for since my credit limit is somewhere between $250-300. I ask them to make multiple invoices.

@rpsyed: eek... I'll stay away from the Yokozuna. I am unable to find any vintage eyedroppers on yahoo! Japan. Am I doing something wrong?

I've never tried to buy from Yahoo! Japan - I've just read that vintage Japanese eyedroppers are available. Though, on second thought, if you're just getting a vintage eyedropper as a test pen to see if you like the system, it may be better to just put the money towards the Emperor. The vast majority of vintage eyedroppers will be very small pens and will likely not have as sophisticated a shut-off mechanism as the Emperor, so I don't know how good of a test pen it would be to see if you'd like an Emperor. Of course, if you want to own both a vintage eyedropper and Emperor, that's different.

If I want a vintage eyedropper, I would like a sailor or pilot only. Nothing else.

I won't buy it if it's more than $200-300. Why waste that much? I'd rather put it towards emperor. In case somebody can do a better job of finding some eyedroppers on Yahoo! Japan than I did, I would really appreciate it.

Plus, emperor gives lifetime warranty for the life of it's original owner. :)

Iirc, only Yukari Royale gives that.

Are basic Namiki Emperor pens made anymore? I thought they discontinued the plain urushi Emperors and now only produce Maki-e and Chinkin pens for the Emperor line. I don't know if you have any FPN members near you - I know there's a few members from India on here - perhaps one of them would let you test their Dani or Emperor out. The filling system should be much like anything else, with the exception of having to undo the shut-off valve for extended writing. Probably not a good pen to carry or use while out running errands, but if you want a desk pen, I think you'll be fine.

I was in Japan back in April and the Emperor "basic" model in either red or black urushi was readily available in all major fountain pen shops in Tokyo. If I recall correctly, the price was around 150000 yen, "only" 1250 usd or so.

Dhruv_Sood, perhaps you shouldn't overlook the eyedropper offerings from Ban-ei (E. Sakai's workshop) or frequently referred to in the west as Tsuchida pens. Most of them are oversized pens with good size 14k nibs, which seem to fit what you are looking for. Moreover, they were produced from the fifties all the way to early 2000, so finding a Ban-ei in excellent condition in Japan shouldn't be too much of a problem. Try look for them on Japan Yahoo. Occasionally, they turn up on the Bay which is where I found my black Ban-ei. The red, a bit smaller than the black, I found on Japan Yahoo.

http://i955.photobucket.com/albums/ae33/mchenart/DSCF6457_zpsjxjvqo1j.jpg

The Ban-ei workshop produced a great variety of urushi and maki-e pens that are just wonderful to behold and use. Here is just a small sampling.

http://i955.photobucket.com/albums/ae33/mchenart/DSCF3417_zpshwy5cqno.jpg