Vintage Postcard - Fp Friendly - Is It The Paper Or The Pen?

goatgolfer

Being new to the FP writing hobby and enjoying the nib>feed>ink>paper interface, I have been writing postcards to friends and family just for the pleasure of a lovely image on the front and the nuance of the weighted line on the back.

Having spent >16 years in Europe, I prefer recognizable images of landmarks because they are emotive. I purchased a postcard set that was art images of Parisian landmarks and had a terrific start. The cards were well printed and the side for correspondence accepted J-fine nib*- Heart of Darkness (who knows where a postcard will go on its return to France).

So, I bought a packet of "Vintage, retro" postcards of travel images from via Amazon http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00ED8O3P8?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00

When the well wrapped package arrived I enjoyed the reproduction photos of travel postcards on the front. The very glossy reverse side (where you write) rejected HoD even after 60 minutes dry time.

Is the expectation that the writing tool of the era (vintage, retro) a fountain pen, would be rejected by these cards? I have posted elsewhere the chicken-egg conundrum of FP use. Is it the pen that can't write on the paper or the paper that won't accept the ink?

I do feel duped by the retro promise but the return postage was more than the value of the cards. Maybe I forgot my Latin and caveat emptor.

*J-fine nib is to differentiate Japanese line width as opposed to W-fine nib for Western.

Sometimes I think I can taste the colors of the ink through my eyes. That Emerald.....

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• goatgolfer

• dojocho

• DrCodfish

• dvalliere

Top Posters In This Topic

Many postcards are no longer fp friendly because of the glossy finish. Same with birthday cards, Xmas cards, Newyears' wishes, etc. Conclusio: it is not the fp...it's never the fp B)

Hugo

Thou shalt not stir one foot to seek a foe.

Eadem Mutata Resurgo.

What a bummer. Looking at the add it a appears you got some nice cards, All may not be lpst, though you may not care for my solution:
Consider replacing the back (the writing side) with a piece
of your favorit FP friendly paper. get some spray adhesive or whatever sort of glue you prefer, cut your writing pieces to fit and glue them on. If you really want to get crazy, make a template, with the lines and space deviders of your design and then make copies in your printer, FP people are to sme degree fiddely by nature anyway, Other than that you may be stuck writing you 'retro' cards with a retro 29 cent Bic.

Luck to you.

.... 'retro' cards with a retro 29 cent Bic.

Luck to you.

Goat writes: BIC BLASPHEMY!; but creative. I think the FP friendly overlay is going to save the cards from recycling. Why not, they are just for fun anyway. @DrCodfish thank you for your inputs.

Sometimes I think I can taste the colors of the ink through my eyes. That Emerald.....

I think the problem is that those are not actually vintage. They're brand new and made to look old. I saw a bunch of similar listings myself for cheaper prices all shipping from China. Even your linked listing says that they are "100% brand new".

That hindsight guy (little devil sitting on your shoulder) is saying I told you so... But the Doc (cod..fish to you) came up with the idea to salvage the picture side. FP friendly stickers/pastings on the writing side.

The BIC idea, not so much.

I lucked out and found a box full of real vintage postcards at a nearby thrift store for 15¢ each, unused, and bought a couple of dozen of them. Most of them are pictures of US historical sites, especially Mount Vernon. I haven't tried writing on them with fountain pen yet, but they're not glossy and I think they'll be fine. Also, there's a local photographer who has his prints made into postcards, and the paper is amazingly FP-friendly.

Debbie

http://i729.photobucket.com/albums/ww296/messiah_FPN/Badges/SnailBadge.png