Lamy 2000....no Window. And The Ears...

Alexcat

Ages ago I got a Lamy 2000, and I do love the sleek, almost sci fi/cyborg looks....but on reading up about it( which .i now know would have been more sensible to do before, rather and after getting it) Ikeep seeing mention of an ink window, and mine does not have one.

Plus....those ears,which I thought would not bother me. They do. A lot. And I wish they didn't! But they do....and Im not being hyper fussy or over sensitive - I have some joint/muscle issues, which affect my hands as well as the rest of my anatomy.

So....can anyone tell me anything regarding the lack of window?

Im seriously considering letting it go to a good home( not that it doesn't have a good home with me: just that we dont fit. Sad, but true)so am trying to get all the relevant information I can. It was a while ago, and I do t remember where I got it from, so that's not an option for information.

Thanks

Alex

"As many nights endure Without a moon or star So will we endure When one is gone and far "Leonard Cohen, of blessed memory(21/09/1934-7/11/2016)

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Alexcat

• Arkanabar

• ink-syringe

• FOUR X FOUR

The ink window can be a bit hard to see. Let out some ink if it is full and put the pen in a cup nib up for a few minutes and see if you see the window appear.

If not you got some kind of freak Lamy, which is not impossible I suppose, there was the famous post of a Lamy nib that had no slit in it. haha.

Also put the pen between you and a light source. With blue or black or blue black ink in mine I can barely see the ink window.

Looking for a cap for a Sheaffer Touchdown Sentinel Deluxe Fat version

Many thanks.....I'll give that a bash!

Cheers

Alex

"As many nights endure Without a moon or star So will we endure When one is gone and far "Leonard Cohen, of blessed memory(21/09/1934-7/11/2016)

And the makrolon have ink window while the stainless steel have none.

Eureka.....it's a stainless steel one, ergo....windowless.

Thank you :)

Alex

Ears: keep in mind the 2K "evolved" from previous models such as the 27 or the 99, which had a ring at the section. I did have a 27m, awesome pen, even better than the 2K regarding some aspects (the ink window...), but the ring was a bother. the small ears are a progress imho, but of course if they come on the way, it is a problem.

amonjak.com

post-21880-0-68964400-1403173058.jpg

free 70 pages graphic novel. Enjoy!

Might try a Lamy Studio in your favorite width. No ears, no ink window, but the converters are clear. The studios write as well as the 2000, IMHO. And the nibs are easily changed if you don't like the nib you are using.

Best of luck.

Yours,
Randal

From a person's actions, we may infer attitudes, beliefs, --- and values. We do not know these characteristics outright. The human dichotomies of trust and distrust, honor and duplicity, love and hate --- all depend on internal states we cannot directly experience. Isn't this what adds zest to our life?

Might try a Lamy Studio in your favorite width. No ears, no ink window, but the converters are clear. The studios write as well as the 2000, IMHO. And the nibs are easily changed if you don't like the nib you are using.

Best of luck.

good information

"You mustn’t be afraid to dream a little bigger darling.” "Forever optimistic with a theme and purpose." "My other pen is oblique and dippy."

Where do the ears fall when you write with your 2K? If they're right under your fingertips, perhaps try shifting your grip a little closer to the nib so they're on the pads of your fingers, or up a little to clear them entirely. It'll take a little getting used to and won't fix the lack of an ink window, but if you otherwise like the pen it might be worth it.

I find that the tabs on my Makrolon 2K don't bother me, but they fall on the pads of my fingers and I don't have any joint or muscle issues that would make me more sensitive to them, either. Perhaps the 2K just isn't the pen for you, and if that's the case, that's a shame. It's a very nice pen, but not a good fit for everyone's needs.

Here to help when I know, learn when I don't, and pass on the information to anyone I can :)

Ha! I have a 27n and never even noticed the ring while writing. In fact i had to uncap the pen to remind myself what the ring looks like.

I did have a 27m, awesome pen, even better than the 2K regarding some aspects (the ink window...), but the ring was a bother.

Looking for a cap for a Sheaffer Touchdown Sentinel Deluxe Fat version

Where do the ears fall when you write with your 2K? If they're right under your fingertips, perhaps try shifting your grip a little closer to the nib so they're on the pads of your fingers, or up a little to clear them entirely. It'll take a little getting used to and won't fix the lack of an ink window, but if you otherwise like the pen it might be worth it.

I find that the tabs on my Makrolon 2K don't bother me, but they fall on the pads of my fingers and I don't have any joint or muscle issues that would make me more sensitive to them, either. Perhaps the 2K just isn't the pen for you, and if that's the case, that's a shame. It's a very nice pen, but not a good fit for everyone's needs.

Ah....just grabbed to have a quick feel: the ears fall right under my thumb pad and index ginger pad....not sore, just....very aware? I have to wear a leather fingerless glove when writing(it gets ever weirder....)

Going to have an experiment with grip: I think that gripping slightly higher may well help. It's such a lovely pen, and I do want to use it....

Many thanks

Alex

Best of luck.

A good idea....I do have several Safaris( such happy pens!) and love them, so a good excuse(not that I need one, but I can 'blame' you for leading me astray into more pen purchasing... ;)

Thanks

Alex

Just to say thanks all....not too great right now, and fountain pennery is a very pleasant distraction from the mess inside my head(shhhh.....not mentioning the mess surrounding me.....)

Alex

I too object to the prongs on the L2K, which I would otherwise regard as an excellent pen. They are sharp enough to irritate my thumb pad. And I also object to the faceted section of the ABC/ Safari /Al-Star /Joy, and the diameter of the CP1. Logo could work for me, as well as Studio, but currently I don't have the money for a Lamy.

Can these irritating little prongs be sanded down just a bit so that they're flush with the body?

Can these irritating little prongs be sanded down just a bit so that they're flush with the body?

Now, that's an idea.....I do want to keep/use it, so it wouldn't affect its worth financially. Now to decide on whether to take the plunge.....

Alex

Now, that's an idea.....I do want to keep/use it, so it wouldn't affect its worth financially. Now to decide on whether to take the plunge.....

Alex

You can take the pen apart and remove the clutch ring completely. That way it can be re-installed at a later date should you so desire. Then you won't have to worry about damage from sanding.

The cap still stays on without it but it lacks that satisfying click.

Chris

Carpe Stylum!

Oh really? Cos those prongs were my primary objection to the pen. When I get the chance, I shall have to return to Origami Ink and see if I like the pen without them. I've recently concluded that Ahabs have too much girth for me, and I want to see if the Lamy2K is comparable.

You can take the pen apart and remove the clutch ring completely. That way it can be re-installed at a later date should you so desire. Then you won't have to worry about damage from sanding.

The cap still stays on without it but it lacks that satisfying click.

Genius! Thank you :)

Alex

I wouldn't want to be without my Lamy 2000 it my pocket pen and is used every day.

Nature is the one song of praise that never stops singing. - Richard Rohr

Poets don't draw. They unravel their handwriting and then tie it up again, but differently. - Jean Cocteau

Ο Θεός μ 'αγαπάς