Does Someone Know Anything Or Own A C/f Model Made In Usa?

Ben19

I got a few weeks ago a C/F cos it was made in USA , and I thought it was a very rare C/F cos that model came out on 1953 and on 1954 waterman usa shout dwon and became a French company. Am I right? There is some one who can bring some light over this matter.

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Ben19

• Eccles

• Ernst Bitterman

• crofton99

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I got a few weeks ago a C/F cos it was made in USA , and I thought it was a very rare C/F cos that model came out on 1953 and on 1954 waterman usa shout dwon and became a French company. Am I right? There is some one who can bring some light over this matter.

can you post a photo?

Hi Crofton on the cap it is inscribed and state WATERMAN´S and MADE IN USA here there is the pics

post-124744-0-64243000-1441721627_thumb.jpeg

post-124744-0-19824200-1441721651.jpeg

post-124744-0-49739900-1441722039.jpeg

Edited by Ben19

Things are a little fuzzy about Waterman's US presence after 1954. They were bought by Bic, possibly as a bridgehead for that company, and the production of familiar pens under the Waterman name went on for... some period, probably not later than 1960 but possibly even later. I don't know if anyone has a clearer/more detailed understanding of it, but I'd sure be willing to sit by their chair and listen intently if they did.

Your C/F is probably an earlier example, based on the dimpled clutch-ring. The section trim is in very nice shape!

Ravensmarch Pens & Books
It's mainly pens, just now....

Oh, good heavens. He's got a blog now, too.

fpn_1465330536__hwabutton.jpg

I find them very hard to put a date on.

Lambrou says they were made for 27 years from their 1953 introduction, and by 1960 Jif-Waterman was the largest of the companies using the Waterman trademark. He does not say what other companies were doing so.

As for country of origin, I have 1 unknown, 1 UK, 4 Canada, 12 USA and 14 France.

Only my French ones have serial numbers on the section (and not all of them do.)

Glenn.

Edited by Eccles

That was preatty much the information I had. It is kinda a mistery what happened and where were made waterman fountain pens after being bought by jib on 1954. By the way eccles, nice amount of watermanfountain pens you got I counted 32 of them. I would like to sell that CF adding an original CF ink converter, which price would you think it would be a fair one? I was thinking about $ 125. What you recon? Many thanks

Edited by Ben19

Pricing is such a difficult question and depends on so many variables, and most members will not answer. Yours seems looks like the trim's in good condition, which is always a big factor with C/Fs, but I can't value it. "Have a look at the 'sold' lists on eBay," is the usual advice I've seen. The converter is a definite bonus, too.

Personally I don't usually pay that much for them, aiming for the $40-$70 mark. I once paid over A$100 years ago for a lovely near mint lacquer finish one from a reputable but never cheap seller/repairer in Melbourne... which was fortunate, because the section leaked and he immediately replaced it FOC. Since then I've always paid much less, esp. since I've cut back on expanding that collection in favour of my Parkers & a fickle scattering of oddments from other brands. I still have 69 various Watermans, nonetheless.

Good luck with your sale.

Glenn.

Impressive collection looks like you have endeed, I have 20 Waterman fountain pen, 9 of them CF well 8 cos I sold the same CF you mention in your post the CF black laque (barrel and cap) from 70s with the 18k 750gold nib which is a bit longer than the early ones with 14k gold nib. If I am thinking about sell some of them especially CF cos I collected to many of them, well in fact I felt in love with that model and then I discovered de C/C known as well like school pens... Anyway in may list there are some nice ones like my laureat or the le man 100 and 200 as well, Hemisphere, etc I Got some Taperite and others from 60 and 70 which I like specialy the logo and that sharped shape of the nib like the concorde and others. but there is one is missing in my list if you are a waterman fan the Edson in blue sapphire, in fact not only one for instance the patrician, the serenite, etc but lets start with the Edson. Thanks for your Post