Fountain Pen Database

Admin

Hi Brad,

From what I understand you should be able to copy the entire set to a USB stick, from wherever you copied it to originally, and even run it from the USB stick.

HTH, warm regards, Wim

the Mad Dutchman
laugh a little, love a little, live a lot; laugh a lot, love a lot, live forever

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• wimg

• 7th Wave

• Hanamizu

• WriteAway

I run mine from a thumb drive with no problems.

Life's too short to use crappy pens.  -carlos.q

Thanks!

Brad

"Words are, of course, the most powerful drug used by mankind" - Rudyard Kipling
"None of us can have as many virtues as the fountain-pen, or half its cussedness; but we can try." - Mark Twain

• 1 month later...

I have entered 28 pens and wanted to print. However, the program crashes every time. My System Preferences (Mac OS X Yosemite) are set as above. I really like this inventory and sure don't want to reinvent it on Excel or something, but it has to print. Help? Thanks!

I think we may have to contact jonro to get an answer here. I'll see what I can do.

Warm regards, Wim

the Mad Dutchman
laugh a little, love a little, live a lot; laugh a lot, love a lot, live forever

• 6 months later...

She is a Rhodesian Ridgeback. Sorry that my response is so slow in coming. She passed away about three years ago and was a great companion. They are, however, not a dog for all people.

My shrink has a Rodesian ridgeback. That ridge of hair on his back makes him look mean

• 2 months later...

My database will not load or run on my new Dell Windows 10 PC after several years operating perfectly under Windows Vista. . Any one else having this issue?

Any potential workarounds or program updates in the works?

I could ask, but I doubt it very much, I am afraid.

Warm regards, Wim

the Mad Dutchman

I could ask, but I doubt it very much, I am afraid.

Warm regards, Wim

Thanks. I don't know if it's Microsoft's issue or mine. It loaded and worked properly one time, I added information and saved it. Now it will not open again. Frustrating. I may have to fix my old machine and use it with Vista as before. Back to my backup plan....

Have a great day!

Hubert

WriteAway

It is built with an old version of the development environment it was created in, which likely is no longer compatible with Windows 8.0 and up.

Warm regards, Wim

the Mad Dutchman

• 3 months later...

My database will not load or run on my new Dell Windows 10 PC after several years operating perfectly under Windows Vista. . Any one else having this issue?

Any potential workarounds or program updates in the works?

There have been several Windows updates since you posted, but I installed it a month ago and it's working fine for me under Windows 10.

I get the same issue on my MacBook Pro under El Capitan. If I try to print, the program simply crashes.

Andy sang as he watched and waited 'til his billy boiled ...

(With apologies to Andrew Barton "Banjo" Paterson)

The current version is rather old, so I guess that is to be expected.

I have been in contact with the developer. The things is that he would have to charge for it now, it is much more work than it ever was to get it updated, and keep it up to date.

We have not worked out a proper solution yet.

Warm regards, Wim

the Mad Dutchman

It is built with an old version of the development environment it was created in, which likely is no longer compatible with Windows 8.0 and up.

Warm regards, Wim

Many thanks for following up.

I believe the development environment was FileMaker Pro and I have FileMaker Pro Advanced 13 on my MacBook Pro so I have spent a few hours this morning creating my own simple database.

It lacks many of the features of jonro's excellent software but is quite adequate for my needs ... and at least now I can print! :)

Andy sang as he watched and waited 'til his billy boiled ...

(With apologies to Andrew Barton "Banjo" Paterson)

• 5 months later...

I am also using the program in Windows 8 with no issues...

I have been using this program for years, long before I decided to launch a retail site.

I still use it to track my vintage items! No complaints- I highly recommend it!!

Regards,

Frank

"Celebrating Eight Years of Retail Writing Excellence"

"When, in the course of writing events, in becomes self-evident that not all pens are created equal"

Federalist Pens and Paper (Online Pen Store)

facelogobooks.png.7b61776c10ce24852b00693f4005dc72.png

Use Forum Code "FPN" at Checkout to Receive an Additional 5% Discount!

Would gladly pay for a version that runs on Mac10.9.5, and that would accept an import

from an earlier version. It was a wonderful tool. Really miss it.

There was a seminar at the DC Show last weekend about managing a collection. I did not know about it until the day after it occurred. There was a mention in the announcement of a possible update to the software, and I would like to find out more from those who hosted that session.

In the meantime, see https://thepelikansperch.com/2016/08/11/recollector-collection-management-review/

Rationalizing pen and ink purchases since 1967.

• 2 weeks later...

Would gladly pay for a version that runs on Mac10.9.5, and that would accept an import

from an earlier version. It was a wonderful tool. Really miss it.

I'd pay for the update as well, even though it is running here on a newer Mac (first install so not having import issues now... can foresee a day in the future though. 'puters don't last as long as pens.)

"Inspiration exists, but it has to find you working." -Pablo Picasso