Noodler's Ink: X-Feather

AgentVenom

Ink Review: Noodler's Ink - X-Feather.

Grade: 67.50%.

Paper Tested On: Norcom Composition, Staples 20lb, 85g Clairefontaine.

Noodler's X-Feather (XF), aka Anti-Feather, at first glance may not be the flashiest ink out there. Some may overlook it as "just another black ink". However, XF's unique properties make it a very interesting ink for a variety of applications.

At its core, XF is the same as Noodler's Black. XF is an Eternal/Bulletproof ink that is known for its permanence and being a 'go to' EDC ink. The biggest difference between XF and Black is XF's resistance to feathering. Is XF completely feather resistant? No, but it does a pretty good job on cheap paper making it a good choice for office use when you don't get to choose the paper that you use.

When you write with XF you'll notice that it's a very smooth. XF just doesn't look like other inks. It's somehow thicker, more viscous. XF is not quite as thick as oil, but you'll be able to tell right away that it's different than other inks. XF is one of the blackest inks I've ever used. While some black inks come off as a dark brown or gray, XF remains a true starless black.

The quick drying time and resistance to bleedthrough is also very impressive considering how saturated XF is. XF's resistance to rail-roading make it ideal for calligraphy. It's also great for drawing when you need deep blacks and lines that won't blow out.

Overall, XF threatens to push Heart of Darkness out of the running for my favorite black ink. Just plan for some extra cleaning time when using XF.

fpn_1440882173__image.jpg

fpn_1440882221__image.jpg

fpn_1440882263__image.jpg

fpn_1440882305__image.jpg

fpn_1440882346__image.jpg

fpn_1440882384__image.jpg

fpn_1440882423__image.jpg

fpn_1440882470__image.jpg

fpn_1440882511__image.jpg

Freedom lies in being bold - Robert Frost

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• AgentVenom

• nmp

• lapis

• FPRebel

Top Posters In This Topic

I forgot to add this sample. It's X-Feather on a Staples brand legal pad.

fpn_1445389600__image.jpeg

• 2 years later...

Thanks Agent,

Now, if you can shed light on how you did the water test..

Did you leave a drop of water on the page and wipe it off immediately?

I am seeing things I dont like. The ink immediately stains the drop. There is no clear drop once the inked character on the paper has drop of clear drinking water on it.

Thanks Agent,

Now, if you can shed light on how you did the water test..

Did you leave a drop of water on the page and wipe it off immediately?

I am seeing things I dont like. The ink immediately stains the drop. There is no clear drop once the inked character on the paper has drop of clear drinking water on it.

I have a cheap brush that i dip in tap water and then I just brush it on, allowing it to bead. The result you see is after I’ve let it evaporate on the page.

Erm, I don't see how XFeather is non-feathering, especially on copier papers. Please enlighten me.

Umm, thanks for that poser. My own first thought was... man, and they call that thing "X-Feather"? I don't remember the last time I ever saw so much feathering of any ink. Especially the nice handwriting "Bleedthrough/Feathering" (image = https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/uploads/imgs/fpn_1440882384__image.jpg).

Life is too short to drink bad wine (Goethe)

I agree with the comments about that being some of the worst feathering of almost any ink on any paper. However, this example is not at all representative of any experience I've had with X-feather. I use it as an EDC because it never feathers on any paper!
I wonder if Agent's nib was snagging paper fibers???

I'm going to test on every type of paper I have, and will try to post the results later. Meanwhile, check out SBREBrown's video (YouTube) review of this ink - it's what made me give it a try, and I'm very happy that I did.

Erm, I don't see how XFeather is non-feathering, especially on copier papers. Please enlighten me.

Umm, thanks for that poser. My own first thought was... man, and they call that thing "X-Feather"? I don't remember the last time I ever saw so much feathering of any ink. Especially the nice handwriting "Bleedthrough/Feathering" (image = https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/uploads/imgs/fpn_1440882384__image.jpg).

I agree with the comments about that being some of the worst feathering of almost any ink on any paper. However, this example is not at all representative of any experience I've had with X-feather. I use it as an EDC because it never feathers on any paper!

I wonder if Agent's nib was snagging paper fibers???

I'm going to test on every type of paper I have, and will try to post the results later. Meanwhile, check out SBREBrown's video (YouTube) review of this ink - it's what made me give it a try, and I'm very happy that I did.

I think it could be the fibers. That Staples legal pad and copy paper are some of the worst I’ve ever used. Maybe it’s just prone to feathering.

But thinking back after hearing everyone’s thoughts, I think there’s a chance that it was the sample. The ink I used was one of those sample files from Goulet pens. I can’t verify for sure but if everyone else’s experience is positive, then I have to think maybe it’s me.

I’m having a very similar experience with Noodlers Bad Ble Heron. The sample that I have which is actually a full bottle, is having trouble with it gunking up inside the pen, from what I understand that’s not what many people are experiencing.

• 3 weeks later...