Getting The Most Out Of J. Herbin 1670 Emerald Of Chivor

GlennPen

Buy it from Rakuten using a forwarding service. 4000 sheets for ~$75. Plus some for forwarding service, don't know how much.

Or if you just want a notebook, I think goulet stocks them.

I am trying to get 4000 sheets though to use with my order of this ink.

I love Tomoe River too, but 4000 pages is a lot for personal use. A small US site called paperforfountainpens dot com sells smaller quantities and books for much less than I have seen elsewhere, and shipping is cheaper. It is so hypnotically pleasing to write on that I have gone through 200 sheets surprisingly quickly.

fpn_1474627498__arttonic_smallest.jpg

Arttonic papers make you want to write. Enjoy them on Instagram if you can't get them in person.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• GlennPen

• Dhruv_Sood

• AAAndrew

• dragonmanus

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Yes, I looked up their website prior to ordering from Japan(the paper is on it's way to me right now).

500 sheets of paper would have cost me ~$90 with shipping with paper size considerably smaller than A4 I am getting. 4000 sheets cost me $220(yet to make a total account of how much I spent).

I will not switch from A4 because I have been writing on that size of paper for more than 10 years now.

You can probably do a group buy with 4-5 members living close to where you live. 1000 sheets a person seems like a good deal for ~$55.

Edit: I also looked up Nanami Paper. Similar price for 500 sheets shipped to India. I live closer to Japan so better to order from there.

Edited by Dhruv_Sood

Did a test on three types of paper: Canson Vidalon Vellum (best sheen and sparkle, hands down); Tomoe River (good sheen and sparkle), and Borden & Riley #234 (almost no sheen, but some sparklage).

fpn_1441226656__emerald_of_chivor-sample

fpn_1441226681__emerald_of_chivor-sheen-

I just ordered a pack of Tomoe River, mostly to play with this ink. Glad to hear i can justify that minor insanity. :)

Man, not that I've tried out the paper, kinda disappointed I missed out on that 4000 paper deal haha. Although I am looking at Nanami Paper for their Seven Seas books. :)

Mm I see, seems like kind of a hassle. Personally speaking, I think a smaller stack would serve me well, since being more of an artist than a writer I tend to go through toothy papers more so than Fine Writing paper. It is such a lovely paper that I will say, and perhaps may supplement my Rhodia pads and other FP papers for luxury writing.

• 4 months later...

Emerald of Chivor Looks Amazing on Tomoe River and still doesn't seem to bleed through unless it's applied REALLY wetly. Only place I had bleed through was when the eyedropper "Charlie" pen I was using Burped once. Kinda ran it empty OOhing and Ahhing at the ink on good paper. I'll do a writing sample again with a good italic lamy pen and post images soon as the Lamy arrives. Have a Tomoe River white notepad and a cream one. Any preferences on Which One you guys would like a demo of EoC on? If not I'll use the cream as my white Tomoe pad is pristine.

I really must get some Tomoe River. I'm in the UK and finding reasonable shipping is a pain. From my experiments with Emerald of Chivor, I would say to get the best out of it, it needs to be laid down wet with a broad nib or a very flexy pen. After faffing round with it and being disappointed, I stuck a Zebra G into my Konrad and voila! lots of lovely red sheen and a really deep purple-ish green. It's not an ink I use very much but it's great for calligraphy. I must try it on some Tomoe.

* Edited to add - strike what I said about shipping. I've just found some on Amazon! Not looking very hard, I guess! :)

Edited by missuslovett

The ink looks great on dirt-common Black n' Red notebook paper too. You can get them at Walmart in the States.

The more I use those notebooks, the more I'm impressed. They even work great for dip pens where Tomoe River sometimes doesn't.

All of the J. Herbin special inks look good on Black n' Red.

“When the historians of education do equal and exact justice to all who have contributed toward educational progress, they will devote several pages to those revolutionists who invented steel pens and blackboards.” V.T. Thayer, 1928

Check out my Steel Pen Blog

"No one is exempt from talking nonsense; the mistake is to do it solemnly."

-Montaigne

As soon as my Lamy Gets here with a italic nib I'll post a sample of EoC on Tomoe River. it looks beautiful but the Lamy Vista that arrived the other day was a fake and for what I paid I wanted a legit so returned it and ordered a real lamy and the italic and broad nibs. EoC does need a wet pen to get the most out of it.

Here's what I found, in my experience with J. Herbin Emerald of Chivor:

• Tomoeriver paper is absolutely the best way to get the sheen and sparkles.
  • Since the gold dust settles to the bottom of the ink bottle really quickly, I always give the ink bottle a gentle swirl and shake to distribute the gold evenly before filling a pen.
  • Pens that write wetter tend to be better at producing sheen, but less at demonstrating the gold pen. I suspect it's because the ink gets so saturated that the sheen overrides any gold flecks that were deposited. In contrast, dryer pens (but not too dry) are better at producing more sparkle. This is just a general guideline, and of course, every pen will act different, but that's kind of what I've discovered.

Has anyone found a good way to modify this ink for use with dip pens? When I try to use a dip pen with it, it floods any paper I use. I've been able to use a sign-painter's pen, really just a very big broad nib, but anytime I try pointed pens it's way too wet.

“When the historians of education do equal and exact justice to all who have contributed toward educational progress, they will devote several pages to those revolutionists who invented steel pens and blackboards.” V.T. Thayer, 1928

Check out my Steel Pen Blog

"No one is exempt from talking nonsense; the mistake is to do it solemnly."

-Montaigne

Has anyone found a good way to modify this ink for use with dip pens? When I try to use a dip pen with it, it floods any paper I use. I've been able to use a sign-painter's pen, really just a very big broad nib, but anytime I try pointed pens it's way too wet.

Here's something to try, take a cheap Jinhao Medium pen nib (like in the 750 or 450 pens) and use it. it seems to work fine but you have to redip the pen about every 3 chars to maintain even lines. And as always paper makes all the difference.

I really must get some Tomoe River. I'm in the UK and finding reasonable shipping is a pain. From my experiments with Emerald of Chivor, I would say to get the best out of it, it needs to be laid down wet with a broad nib or a very flexy pen. After faffing round with it and being disappointed, I stuck a Zebra G into my Konrad and voila! lots of lovely red sheen and a really deep purple-ish green. It's not an ink I use very much but it's great for calligraphy. I must try it on some Tomoe.

* Edited to add - strike what I said about shipping. I've just found some on Amazon! Not looking very hard, I guess! :)

Cult Pens has it. Bought mine there; I pay shipping, you don't.

"We are one."

– G'Kar, The Declaration of Principles

• 1 year later...

I also found that Red n' Black notebook paper also gave you nice sheen and coloration and you could see the gold flecks. Not as nice as Tomoe or Canson's Marker, bit nice for regular paper.

I've only gotten the red to show up on one type of regular notebook paper, the rest have issues with bleeding and feathering. Unfortunately, I have no clue what the brand is. Anyone have any ideas as to which regular notebook papers work?