Getting The Most Out Of J. Herbin 1670 Emerald Of Chivor

GlennPen

Yes, that's a great price for the paper, but in my experience, the cost is really in the shipping. the paper is cheap, but the shipping is hundred's of dollars. Or it was last year when I placed a group order. I'll be interested to see if it's cheaper now.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• GlennPen

• Dhruv_Sood

• AAAndrew

• HalloweenHJB

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

^i did some calculation on weight of the paper and 4000 sheets came out to 1.8kg weight.

Use a slower shipping like SAL and cost of shipping will be more or less half of price of paper if you are shipping to Canada.

Freight forwarding companies are a killer though.

You can ask Atsu to procure some for you and send it to you using SAL. You'll have to pay him some commission though.

I tried it on Clairfontaine first and got plenty of sparkles, but not the red sheen. I've gotten plenty of sheen on Tomoe, and also on whatever this Midori paper is.

Good to know, as I take it the Pocket sized Midori refills and Full Sized ones are made by different paper manufacturers (but still under the Midori name). Also the No. 013 Full Sized Midori Traveler's Notebook is Tomoe River Paper (cross referenced with JetPens.com), goes by Light Paper Notebook on GouletPens.

Still testing out the ink on the several cardstocks I have as per @goatgolfer.

Yes, that's a great price for the paper, but in my experience, the cost is really in the shipping. the paper is cheap, but the shipping is hundred's of dollars. Or it was last year when I placed a group order. I'll be interested to see if it's cheaper now.

You can purchase Tomoe River paper from Wonderpens in Toronto. They have a very good basic shipping rate for us Canadians...$8 for orders under $125 CND. I believe they also have it in notebook form ...worth checking out their other Japanese papers ( and I highly recommend the LIFE brand, which I prefer it over Tomoe River)

http://www.wonderpens.ca/Tomoe_River_Paper_s/1933.htm

http://www.wonderpens.ca/Tomoe_River_Notebook_A5_Plain_Cream_p/chbtra5.htm

Edited by Pira

Thanks for the review! This thread is just a font of useful information for EoC. ::drools:: Off to go test different papers to see what I've got that works best with it! Wheee!

Did a test on three types of paper: Canson Vidalon Vellum (best sheen and sparkle, hands down); Tomoe River (good sheen and sparkle), and Borden & Riley #234 (almost no sheen, but some sparklage).

fpn_1441226656__emerald_of_chivor-sample

fpn_1441226681__emerald_of_chivor-sheen-

Good to know, as I take it the Pocket sized Midori refills and Full Sized ones are made by different paper manufacturers (but still under the Midori name). Also the No. 013 Full Sized Midori Traveler's Notebook is Tomoe River Paper (cross referenced with JetPens.com), goes by Light Paper Notebook on GouletPens.

Still testing out the ink on the several cardstocks I have as per @goatgolfer.

Goatgolfer gratefully writes:

The goat says thank you for the cardstock study. A visit to Blick today was unrewarding on the cardstock suitable for Emerald of Chivor [i may rename it Emerald of Chevre and see if anyone notices] This whole paper suitability has taken me to the Seven Seas, and places beyond... Nanami is closed until 4 September 2015 so no way to discuss Tomoe River options with Dave@N....

Edited by goatgolfer

Sometimes I think I can taste the colors of the ink through my eyes. That Emerald.....

Buy it from Rakuten using a forwarding service. 4000 sheets for ~$75. Plus some for forwarding service, don't know how much.

Or if you just want a notebook, I think goulet stocks them.

I am trying to get 4000 sheets though to use with my order of this ink.

Can someone please enlighten me about this??? This seems like an extremely good deal because even HP 32lb paper is $13 for 500.

fpn_1434432647__fpn_1425200643__fpn_1425160066__super_pinks-bottle_200x159.jpg

Check out my blog at Inks and Pens

Borden & Riley Cotton Comp (very smooth, 100% cotton paper). Giant dip sign painting pen.

fpn_1441227511__emerald_chivor01.jpg

With Tomoe River and a dip pen you get massive bright red metallic foil sheen while the ink looks darker because it's laid on so thick.

This stuff is a trip.

Or head over to Michael's or your local art store and pick up a pad of Canson Marker paper and use a dip calligraphy pen. It's Crazy!

I also got some decent shading and even some sheen on common old Black n' Red notebook paper.

“When the historians of education do equal and exact justice to all who have contributed toward educational progress, they will devote several pages to those revolutionists who invented steel pens and blackboards.” V.T. Thayer, 1928

Check out my Steel Pen Blog

"No one is exempt from talking nonsense; the mistake is to do it solemnly."

-Montaigne

Borden & Riley Cotton Comp (very smooth, 100% cotton paper). Giant dip sign painting pen.

fpn_1441227511__emerald_chivor01.jpg

This stuff is a trip.

It's Crazy!

That's for sure! Nice sample!

Can someone please enlighten me about this??? This seems like an extremely good deal because even HP 32lb paper is $13 for 500.

That's just the cost of purchasing the paper from rakuten.

Add forwarding company fee and shipping to it, it will be almost $150.

I know somebody there who can get it for me without going through the forwarding company. I'll buy it and ship to his house, he'll then ship it to my house.

I inked up my Pilot VP and tried it out on Tomoe River first and foremost, and I got a TON of shimmer and sheen

I tried it then on a clairefontaine notebook and also a rhodia dot pad (of which I dint take any pictures unfortunately.)

Rhodia showed the least amount of sheen out of all three somehow and oddly my clairefontaine notebook kept a good deal of the sheen and the sparkle on the surface of the page.

post-122603-0-03254100-1441411647_thumb.png

Great pics everyone...

I haven't tried E of C, but I have tried the Stormy Grey and Bleu Ocean. In my experience, the inks are great, but the golden specks are difficult to impossible to manage. There's not been a way, in my experience, to get an EVEN distribution of the gold throughout a whole page or two. You either get a ton of the gold at the beginning and it fades off to a faint amount or you get very little in the beginning and it slowly increases as you write (I guess since they settle into the feed as the pen is upright). This makes the ink rather frustrating to use for certain purposes. I guess it would be great if you were writing a line or two for a Christmas card and that's it...YMMV. I used an Osmiroid 65 with a broad straight italic and a Parker 45 with a wet medium. There was also a disturbing amount of gold specs left in the feed of my 45 after what I thought was a pretty good cleaning. Guess I need to get out a toothbrush or something, lol...

I have found that gentle (slow and gentle!) shaking of the pen when you stop to think, or take a sip of coffee, or what have you, and the sparkles tend to be better distributed. Most certainly worth the tiny bit of extra trouble to have inks this beautiful, IMHO. :cloud9:

Following the lead of @GlennPen , I struck out to find paper that would support the capabilities of #EmeraldofChevre ( my pet name for EofC). My Rhodia, Clairefontaine,HP 32# inventory have been tested by others and found to be lacking. Since I have only invested in the Emerald in the $1.25 size my paper budget had limitations and I missed the previous offers for paper bundling\exchanges in the classifieds.

Then I ran across an interesting solution at Jetpens. A Tomoe River sampler http://www.jetpens.com/JetPens-Paper-Sampler-Starter-Pack/pd/14759. While I haven't received it for ~$6 it seems to be a whistle whetter.

Sometimes I think I can taste the colors of the ink through my eyes. That Emerald.....

I also found that Red n' Black notebook paper also gave you nice sheen and coloration and you could see the gold flecks. Not as nice as Tomoe or Canson's Marker, bit nice for regular paper.

“When the historians of education do equal and exact justice to all who have contributed toward educational progress, they will devote several pages to those revolutionists who invented steel pens and blackboards.” V.T. Thayer, 1928

Check out my Steel Pen Blog

"No one is exempt from talking nonsense; the mistake is to do it solemnly."

-Montaigne

Following the lead of @GlennPen , I struck out to find paper that would support the capabilities of #EmeraldofChevre ( my pet name for EofC). <clip>

Then I ran across an interesting solution at Jetpens. A Tomoe River sampler http://www.jetpens.com/JetPens-Paper-Sampler-Starter-Pack/pd/14759. While I haven't received it for ~$6 it seems to be a whistle whetter.

I bought that sampler too (shipped very quickly!), and then a 30 sheet pad... And now I have 300 sheets in 3 pads expected this next week. Really great paper!

• 2 weeks later...

Haven't been able to update lately due to classes but I will admit just as everyone has said so far and has been said, Tomoe River Paper both in Midori and original form, are wonderful for Emerald of Chivor if not downright sexy.

Thanks to TheRealScubaSteve for the Tomoe River Paper samples and Neenah Canvas (I've yet to review that). I used some of it for letters, can't wait for the recipient's reaction!

http://i.imgur.com/iaTueRf.jpg

Just received the tracking number for my parcel with 4000 sheets of Tomoe River paper. :)