The Faber-Castell Design Ondoro Orange Review

sannidh

The Ondoro is another of my Faber-Castell Design (FCD) pens. These FCD steel nibs are common across the entire design product range - Basic, Loom, Ambition, Ondoro & e-motion and have been impeccable in my experience. My first pen from the design series was an Ambition. I feel that the Ondoro is structurally a much better pen, though it might lack a bit of aesthetic flair prevalent to the Ambition. Below is a link to this review on my blog:

Faber-Castell Ondoro Review

The Ondoro line comes with a fountain pen (with 4 different nib widths), a roller ball, a propelling pencil (0.7mm) and a ballpoint pen across three coloured resins - Orange, Black & White (now discontinued) and a wooden one (smoked oak) priced substantially higher.

PRESENTATION

The Ondoro along with the included converter was hand-delivered at my workplace by A.W Faber Castell India personnel, encased inside this moss-green cardboard box. This colour always reminds me of the Australian Baggy Green Caps. The box has a slider where the pen is placed beneath a fabric band on a felted bed, along with a warranty card and a cartridge. Like the pen, the box does portray certain elements of minimalism.

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-Fc0XQgBbg8g/VeHlxofp3nI/AAAAAAAAFVQ/cm40PCnSoYs/s1600/box.jpg

DESIGN - HEXAGON & CHROME (6/6)

The pen seems to have an affair with geometry, structurally constituted of two overlapping hexagonal prisms - one orange and other chrome, with domed ends. Bold and minimalistic both in terms of convergence and functionality. The barrel is glossy while the cap is shiny chrome plated metal. Unfortunately the mirror finishes have a magnetic attraction for fingerprints. Faber-Castell calls the barrel material precious resin and it does feel qualitatively substantial.

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-jwgZbMNod34/VeHl7XF8PlI/AAAAAAAAFVY/ozpam9geDiw/s1600/DSC_5717.jpg

The metallic cap snaps on and off the barrel with audible clicks. While putting the cap on, the hexagonal facets of the cap need to be aligned with the ones on the barrel. There is some metal at the end of the grip which actually is part of an insert for the nib unit. And there rests the shiny FCD nib. The barrel is designed to converge with the section subtly initiating a concave taper at the end of its hexagonal facets, leading to a comfortably concave grip section.

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-UwY4iHyWtyo/VeHmMQG5zdI/AAAAAAAAFVo/_bxi6lwZDgE/s1600/DSC_5725.jpg

The finials at either end have smooth and convex domes, the one at the end of a barrel carries a engraved circle or an ‘O’.

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-2bRPeFtLQrY/VeHmHqEzhMI/AAAAAAAAFVg/gflyaBVtiwU/s1600/DSC_5726.jpg

A mirror finish on the hexagonal chromed cap will attract your attention while you keep resisting your instant urges to polish off finger-prints, even after the slightest touch. The dome like finial is etched with Faber-Castell logo of two jousting knights and embossed there is a traditional statement preserving antiquity - Since 1761. The spring loaded clip is shaped like an arc with a concave end. It’s engraved with GERMANY on one side of its loading point. A plastic insert inside the cap gives the snap-on friction.

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-PZkfeOy0kTQ/VeHlwGjb_LI/AAAAAAAAFVI/RXHG6CgwqS8/s1600/cap.jpg

FILLING SYSTEM (6/6)

The rather small resinous concavity at the end of the barrel unscrews from the barrel with seven turns and it disengages the section containing the nib and CC filling system. There is a mention of e3 on the metallic thread insert, it’s apparently a reference to their old manufacturing plants.

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-r54us3mfHlU/VeHmXs1aUxI/AAAAAAAAFVw/ccQWq8h8GSY/s1600/DSC_5755.jpg

The insert for the section threads with the metallic insert in the resin barrel.

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-qscoJSXp5Ls/VeHmkJikquI/AAAAAAAAFV4/l343kFQhwS8/s1600/DSC_5757.jpg

The converter says SCHMIDT on the piston along with the brand imprint of FABER-CASTELL Germany on the metallic sleeve. It has a reasonably high capacity of around 1 mL, and the ink does last for quite a while! I usually am biased towards piston fillers, but I like the capacity offered by Faber-Castell or Schmidt converters. In case of GvFC Converters, there is no mention of Schmidt on the converters themselves. This converter will snugly fit many other pens.

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-NSOno4o5b_g/VeHmlIAnTaI/AAAAAAAAFWI/lWTl-pFgC5k/s1600/DSC_5763.jpg

NIB - ALL THAT MATTERS (6/6)

The nib is made of stainless steel alloy with an iridium tip. The initially available nib sizes featured F, M and B nibs, though an EF was made available later. I went with an F sized nib. Right out of the box, this was a very smooth nib.

The nib has a perforated imprint of dots which cover a third of its surface area. There is a subtle absence of any breather hole. The nib-size is embossed above the traditional Faber-Castell Design logo of two jousting knights near the tail.

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-GuGepiLE0h8/VeHmk2nj1EI/AAAAAAAAFWE/zimurJDHyqs/s1600/DSC_5776.jpg

The feed is standard grey plastic, with a big filler hole for ink suction, which incidentally is used across the GvFC Intuition & Classic Series.

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-fDBSCfLAAE0/VeHmvEJDeYI/AAAAAAAAFWQ/PTA5tgQflgM/s1600/DSC_5778.jpg

Faber-Castell Design (steel) nibs are sourced from JoWo whereas the GvFC nibs (18k except Tamitio) are made by Bock.

PHYSICS OF IT (5/6) – RELATIVELY SPEAKING

Sans the cap, the pen measures around 12.4 cm, which is quite comfortable for me given the wide girth. The cap can be posted easily. While the posted pen exceeds a 15 cm scale, a steel cap of 17g does make it top-heavy.

• Uncapped Length ~ 12.4 cm
  • Capped Length ~ 12.8 cm
  • Posted Length ~ 16 cm
  • Nib Leverage ~ 1.9 cm
  • Overall Weight ~ 32 g (Cap Weight ~ 17 g)

Some capped, uncapped & posted references with a few pens like GvFC Intuition, Pelikan m205 and TWSBI 580 run below for your reference.

Terracotta is much redder than the orange in an Ondoro

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-jVgRyXwdBG4/VeHm9LFmMQI/AAAAAAAAFWY/Dtwhl79Buqw/s1600/DSC_5787.jpg

Uncapped the Ondoro almost matches a TWSBI 580

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-HH2u5rSS3kI/VeHm_94vbnI/AAAAAAAAFWg/IKajNkSc5vE/s1600/DSC_5804.jpg

Not really posted!

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-ZWsHc5_wH_I/VeHnGAQDFMI/AAAAAAAAFWo/3qO8OdWoej0/s1600/DSC_5815.jpg

ECONOMIC VALUE (5/6)

The Ondoro resin versions retail at around USD 125. I purchased it with a good discount, directly from A.W Faber Castell India, as there were some warranty issues with my other Faber Castell pen. I believe it’s a good value for money pen given such a beautiful nib, which can defeat any other.

OVERALL (5.6/6)

This nib is moderately wet, runs fine and smooth. There is absence of any line variation among horizontals & verticals. The nib has got some spring and a touch of softness. I find the grip very comfortable to hold the pen, you might say a little bit of barrel weight could have blessed this one. I will definitely recommend this pen to you, if you are looking at the Faber Castell Design Series.

Being a moderately wet writer out of the box, the Fine nib puts a decent fine line (finer than TWSBI F) which takes around 15 seconds to dry a wet MB Toffee brown ink on MD Paper.

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-LtLB1WGbtKs/VeHnQe4ukTI/AAAAAAAAFWw/rHcuB7G_a0w/s1600/DSC_5837.jpg

REFERENCES

Faber Castell Ambition

GvFC Intuition

Faber Castell History

Bock Clientele

Thank you for going through the review.

You can find some more pen and paraphernalia reviews here.

You have come to earth to entertain and to be entertained - P.Y

Some Pen & Paraphernalia Reviews

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• sannidh

• hari317

• pankaj

• pbhat

Top Posters In This Topic

Thank you for sharing your lovely review of what I think is a brilliant pen. I've only had mine a few weeks but it has become my daily carry and my desk pen. I'm loving it.

My Basic is just as good but being longer and heavier lends itself more to sketching that being carried in a pocket.

My eyes and ears are now open for a Graf von . . .

Thank you for sharing your lovely review of what I think is a brilliant pen. I've only had mine a few weeks but it has become my daily carry and my desk pen. I'm loving it.

My Basic is just as good but being longer and heavier lends itself more to sketching that being carried in a pocket.

My eyes and ears are now open for a Graf von . . .

Thank you Tas, Feel that Ondoro is just a great pen (compared to Basic or Ambition), given the writing comfort & an usual superb nib.

Truth is, you won't settle until you get a GvFC :D

PS: Checked your link. That's quite a discount :puddle: . Think you should blindly go for it if you are located in the UK.

Super review, and a super pen. I do love FC nibs - really reliable and smooth. And what a great colour!

Thank you so much. I too like the gloss & lightness of this Orange (like you said never worry about FC nibs)

I love my "creamsicle" Ondoro B nib. SMoooTH!

I had a great time searching for the one I bought, and also got to fondle the POTY 2011 Jade which may yuet become a grailpen for me, if Fortune were to smile.

The only vexing thing about this pen, is I can't quite learn to not try to twist the cap on and off!

Cheers,

“It’s better to light a candle than curse the darkness

Truth is, you won't settle until you get a GvFC :D

Tell me about it. My desire for one has put one in my top 3 wish list.

Sonik : Another good review. Congrats !

A small query : My impression is the pen is shortish ( but not brutish.. grin ) unposted. Further too light at around 16 g. unposted. To undo it, if you post it gets way too long, puts a lot of weight at the bottom ( butt heavy ? )

Am I over reacting ? These were the hold backs for me while I was about to buy it.

That said, its really a great utilitarian pen with an awesome steel nib. Totally agree - VFM

I love my "creamsicle" Ondoro B nib. SMoooTH!

I had a great time searching for the one I bought, and also got to fondle the POTY 2011 Jade which may yuet become a grailpen for me, if Fortune were to smile.

The only vexing thing about this pen, is I can't quite learn to not try to twist the cap on and off!

Same here, smooth like butter even for the M & F. Not sure about EF though.

That's true :D, most of the modern FCD or GvFCs come with a snap cap.

Tell me about it. My desire for one has put one in my top 3 wish list.

If you will begin with GvFC intuition/classic, sooner you will start yearning for a Intuition platino one (with a larger nib), then there are POTYs & others to arrest bank balance. Sent a PM.

Edited by soniknitr

Sonik : Another good review. Congrats !

A small query : My impression is the pen is shortish ( but not brutish.. grin ) unposted. Further too light at around 16 g. unposted. To undo it, if you post it gets way too long, puts a lot of weight at the bottom ( butt heavy ? )

Am I over reacting ? These were the hold backs for me while I was about to buy it.

That said, its really a great utilitarian pen with an awesome steel nib. Totally agree - VFM

I feel lengthwise given the widish girth, this pen is quite comfortable to hold. Almost matches a 146. (Not sure whether you post a 146/m800, I don't). You are absolutely right about its weight, but the converter + ink render some additional weight, it is kind of okay. A definite VFM, snap cap, running notes etc :)

Thanks again Pankaj!

http://i1302.photobucket.com/albums/ag127/soniknitr/IMG_3563_zpspnukan5a.jpg

Edited by soniknitr

Lovely pen and nice review..

How thick is the pen? How comfortable to hold? Is it similar to Gama Raja that came to my mind?

Regards

Subramoniam

Lovely pen and nice review..

How thick is the pen? How comfortable to hold? Is it similar to Gama Raja that came to my mind?

Thank you!

It's quite comfortable to hold and has a similar girth like the Raja

Not sure about its weight compared to Raja.

I feel lengthwise given the widish girth, this pen is quite comfortable to hold. Almost matches a 146. (Not sure whether you post a 146/m800, I don't). You are absolutely right about its weight, but the converter + ink render some additional weight, it is kind of okay. A definite VFM, snap cap, running notes etc :)

Thanks again Pankaj!

http://i1302.photobucket.com/albums/ag127/soniknitr/IMG_3563_zpspnukan5a.jpg

Thanks Sonik.

I'm clear.

At 499 its certainly great VFM :)

Sonik, thanks for the review, I know nothing about FC FPs, I just have one GvFC, so your reviews are useful.

In case you wish to write to me, pls use ONLY email by clicking here. I do not check PMs. Thank you.

just 499? where? The pen looks so good.

Hari - I guess Pankaj was joking with the book's (in the pic with a 146) price tag for VFM :)

FYI - It's sells at 20% off mrp of INR 7990 at Shukla, and in Dec-Feb, pensavenue gives a good discount of 25-35% on it

Edited by soniknitr

Sonik, thanks for the review, I know nothing about FC FPs, I just have one GvFC, so your reviews are useful.

Thanks Hari :)

I am a fan of both FC & GvFC designs

Edited by soniknitr

Hari - I guess Pankaj was joking with the book's (in the pic with a 146) price tag for VFM :)

FYI - It's sells at 20% off mrp of INR 7990 at Shukla, and in Dec-Feb, pensavenue gives a good discount of 25-35% on it

Thank you.

Thanks Sonik, Pankaj caught me. I am actually relieved to hear the correct price. It puts the pen firmly out of my immediate need to buy.

Best

Hari

In case you wish to write to me, pls use ONLY email by clicking here. I do not check PMs. Thank you.

the pen looks amazing in that saffron colour sonik, modi will be pretty happy with it.

@hari i guess you always keep snagging pens at super low prices

i thought sonik managed to get it for 499 till he told me the price hes got a sweet deal as usual

Pilot custom heritage 74 all nibs, 742 Fa and PO nibs, 823 F 92 F,M, 3776 FM,EF,1911F

And all indian pens