Found Montblanc Fountain Pen In Dad's Old Office Box - What Model And Value?

cchukan

Hello,

First post on this forum - to be honest, didn't know there was such a huge community for fountain pens...

Requesting some help determining model and value for a fountain pen I found while cleaning out my dad's room. On leave, visited my parents house and they asked me to go thru some boxes and throw away useless/old stuff. There I found couple of new Montblanc ball pens and one fountain pen... The ball pens I was able to find online as they were a common model (same one my dad gave me when I graduated from college) but couldn't find the value and exact model of the fountain pen online...

Can you all tell me what exact model this is and the value? I think it is the Meisterstuck 144 Bordeaux&gold if that's even the right terminology. I only say that because I found the same (?) pen on ebay. Please see the links - it's being sold for over $1000.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/MONTBLANC-144DV-BORDEAUX-GOLD-FOUNTAIN-PEN-FINE-POINT-NEW-IN-BOX-144DV-/130858055584

and another one I found...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/MONTBLANC-144DV-BORDEAUX-GOLD-FOUNTAIN-PEN-FINE-POINT-IN-BOX-144DV-/140922383496

Here are pictures that I took earlier today...

It's brand new... it says 18K on the nib (didn't even know what a nib was until today), under the 18K it says 750 (or 760 can't really see it's small), above the 18K it says 4810, on the cap it has the number 925, around the band it says Montblanc Meisterstuck, around the clip(?) it has 2 letter followed by 6 digits and then GERMANY and then METAL 3.

It also has the proof of authenticity as you can see in the pictures...it was purchased in 1998 at an airport duty free store (so I'm 99% sure that it's not fake-hopefully)

Unfortunately, it is old so there is a stain as you can see on some portion of the cap (last picture). I'm guessing because it's silver, color changes if not used or touched (?).

Should I keep it? does value increase over time? if selling, what's the best method? Any of you interested?

Thanks for the help in advance!

post-124783-0-08317700-1440775864_thumb.jpg

post-124783-0-64519700-1440775866_thumb.jpg

post-124783-0-00441500-1440775869_thumb.jpg

post-124783-0-15077600-1440775874_thumb.jpg

post-124783-0-32593100-1440775894_thumb.jpg

post-124783-0-81257900-1440776463_thumb.jpg

post-124783-0-03209000-1440776467_thumb.jpg

Edited by cchukan

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• cchukan

• Shaporama

• HermetiC

• ingolf

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Meisterstück 144 Doue Bordeaux&Vermeille

the cap is vermeille: sterling silver 925 plated in gold, not solid gold

The Ebay links you provided shows the same pen, and it is not a 144, it is a 146 (piston filler, yours is a cartridge/cc filler)

Edited by HermetiC

Many thanks for the response - any idea on the value? will the value increase with time?

Can you explain what piston filler, cartridge/cc filler is? What's cc stand for?

Just to clarify - mine is a 144 that does both piston filler and cartridge//cc filler?

Meisterstück 144 Doue Bordeaux&Vermeille

the cap is vermeille: sterling silver 925 plated in gold, not solid gold

The Ebay links you provided shows the same pen, and it is not a 144, it is a 146 (piston filler, yours is a cartridge/cc filler)

Edited by cchukan

Not just "keep it" - use it.

I think that a fountain pen should not be treated as a collector´s item. Using it offers much more fun.

Regarding the value: The value you will get is always depending on how much is one willing to pay for it (as for me, my upper limit is always no more than EUR 350 - regardless if a pen is made of solid gold and decorated with diamonds :rolleyes: ).

Regards, Ingolf.

https://schreibkultur.requirements.de ... my blog - currently in German only

This one sold recently for a lot less than $1000, but still was valuable.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/MONTBLANC-144-DV-Bordeaux-Solitaire-Doue-Vermeil-925-Fountain-Pen-/191599354659?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2c9c362323

What you might do depends on how much the pen means to you. If it has sentimental value than perhaps you will keep it as a family heirloom, that's what I did with an old Mont Blanc 144 that I found when clearing out my dad's desk after he passed away. If the pen has little meaning, and you have no intentions of becoming a collector (or user) then why not sell it and treat yourself to a nice meal or perhaps a trip or show.

Edited by Shaporama

Many thanks for the response - any idea on the value? will the value increase with time?

Can you explain what piston filler, cartridge/cc filler is? What's cc stand for?

Just to clarify - mine is a 144 that does both piston filler and cartridge//cc filler?

No, your's utilizes either an ink cartridge or a cartridge converter (cc) as an ink supply. A piston filler has a system built into the pen barrel that includes a chamber to hold ink and a piston to draw ink into the chamber. In the demonstrator below you can see the ink chamber (empty) and the piston that draws the ink.

http://www.pelikanpens.co.uk/acatalog/M205.jpg

Piston filler pens are typically more prized by collectors than cartridge pens...less counterfeited too.

That $1,000 price on Ebay is wishful thinking. They're actually selling for much less than that.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/MONTBLANC-144-DV-Bordeaux-Solitaire-Doue-Vermeil-925-Fountain-Pen-/191599354659?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2c9c362323&nma=true&si=KffG5KtfW8RpWV3vd8U%252Fg3mwpEQ%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Montblanc-Meisterstuck-1442-Solitaire-Doue-Fountain-Pen-/151743577826?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item23549f3ee2&nma=true&si=KffG5KtfW8RpWV3vd8U%252Fg3mwpEQ%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

Edited by Cordovian

If mint, $200-$300, less if the stain doesn't polish off. Don't expect it to increase in value more than investing its sale proceeds.

Fred

Edited by FredRydr

Looks like a Medium nib (tip is rounded rather than squared off like a Broad). Nice pen. Not an investment. Concur with the valuation.

I'd keep it and use it unless you're strapped for cash.

www.BethTreadway.com

No one else mentioned this, but the service booklet is not for this pen. It is for a ball point (the 164 bp). You might look to see if the service book for the 144R is in a different box.

Value only likely to increase very slowly. They stopped making the pen in this bordeaux color, but there are a lot out there.

If you want less blah, blah, blah and more pictures, follow me on Instagram!

No one else mentioned this, but the service booklet is not for this pen. It is for a ball point (the 164 bp). You might look to see if the service book for the 144R is in a different box.

Value only likely to increase very slowly. They stopped making the pen in this bordeaux color, but there are a lot out there.

+1

Edited by lunarfp