Ammonia - Canada (On)

THRobinson

Where are you guys finding ammonia in Canada (Ontario)?

I looked online at Canadian Tire, 100% pure ammonia perfect! clicked on it and 0 stock/no longer being carried. They have another brand, but lemon scented and such so, not sure what else is in it. Same as the local grocery stores.

Checked Home Hardware, and they have a brand called Old Country. I looked online but can't see if it's pure or not.

Sadly, I'm in a Hamlet (not even a Village) and it's a fairly long drive to go store to store, and from past experience I've learned that calling does not yield useful answers. :)

Anyone ever try the Old Country stuff? or know where else may carry ammonia?

LAMY Al Star (Limited Ed. Copper Orange) w/ Noodler's Apache Sunset

LAMY Safari (Black) w/ Noodler's Black (Bulletproof)

LAMY Safari (Red) w/ Noodler's Eel Rattler Red

Noodler's Ahab (Clear Demonstrator) Used for Testing Inks

Parker Urban (London Cab Black) w/ Diamine Red Dragon

Parker Reflex (Green Pearl) w/ J.Herbin's Poussiere de Lune

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• THRobinson

• Video11

• Scrawler

• torstar

Top Posters In This Topic

Toronto vs Zurich. :D

I figured Canadian Tire for sure, but they only carry that Frank's Lemon Scented one now.

Watched this video and well, wanted to give it a try. I learned the hard way that isopropyl alcohol is a no-no on some parts... great for cleaning off ink from my desk, not good in a pen. Figured I'll try this method next.

... and for anyone wanting to know. I have a Noodler's Ahab clear demonstrator that was getting pink from all my red ink testing. Warm water, liquid hand soap, sonic cleaner... cleaned the pen well but still stained. Grabbed a pipe cleaner (real one from my smoking pipes, not a coloured craft one) and dipped it in isopropyl alcohol (99%) and very quickly cleaned out the stained parts. The section/coupler cleaned up great no issues. Converter... almost like the alcohol softened it up inside enough to get all the pipe cleaner fibres stuck to it and went all milky and hazed. I ended up grabbing a small baby bottle cleaning brush, dipped in alcohol and went to the sink... jammed it in, scrubbed it clean then immediately rinsed and cleaned with soap. Cleaned most of it up, but, ya... keeping my eye open for a new converter I think. :D

Edited by THRobinson

Got mine at Wal-Mart in the household cleaning supplies section, Goldex brand in a 1.8 jug. Goderich isn't all that far, and Sheaffer's Canadian factory used to be in town so it is sort of appropriate. (Yeah, a bit of a stretch.)

Cheers,

Rick

PS Did you know there is a London (Ontario) Pen Club that meets every Saturday morning?

PPS How was the Zurich Bean Festival this year?

Life Is Not A Rehearsal.

Our Pen Club: http://londonpenclub.com

Our Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/254419004945988/

Beanfest, meh... my family moved here years before I did (10) and it was pretty good, but since then it's gone kinda downhill. At least this year they had a few (3) midway rides, use to have more but the past few years they had none. It's good for people who like old cars, but I think it's the exact same cars every year.

London wise, I almost went this past Sunday actually, my nieces/nephew live in London but don't drive so, were down for Beanfest and I was going to drive them home and drop in, but Saturday I blew my knee out really bad working on my car so, maybe next time. :)

If I recall, it's that sorta wedge shaped William's downtown London correct? and it's every week?

Goldex... I'll keep that in mind. I'll check out Home Hardware in Grand Bend and if not 100% Ammonia, I will give Walmart a try, though maybe I'll do a 2 birds one stone deal and get it at Walmart in London and check out the pens at the same time.

I don't have much to 'show off'... couple of Parkers, the Noodlers, pair of Lamy Safari's, and two $4 Hero's... which you know what, I swear that Hero 901 writes just as smooth as the $60 Parker. Parker looks better, but, still....

...If I recall, it's that sorta wedge shaped William's downtown London correct? and it's every week?...

<snip>

I don't have much to 'show off'... couple of Parkers, the Noodlers, pair of Lamy Safari's, and two $4 Hero's... which you know what, I swear that Hero 901 writes just as smooth as the $60 Parker. Parker looks better, but, still....

No, it's the Williams on Wonderland Road South at Southdale Avenue in the south west end of London, and yes we meet every Saturday morning starting around 9:00 am and typically finishing around 11:00 am. And no need to be shy, our club has no rules, no dues, no officers but a whole lot of fun.

Cheers,

Rick

Life Is Not A Rehearsal.

Our Pen Club: http://londonpenclub.com

Our Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/254419004945988/

Ah, near Tiger Direct, or where it use to be anyways... I know that area.

Haven't been to the site in a while, coulda swore it was Sundays downtown, good thing you messaged. :D

Where are you guys finding ammonia in Canada (Ontario)?

I looked online at Canadian Tire, 100% pure ammonia perfect! clicked on it and 0 stock/no longer being carried. They have another brand, but lemon scented and such so, not sure what else is in it. Same as the local grocery stores.

Checked Home Hardware, and they have a brand called Old Country. I looked online but can't see if it's pure or not.

Sadly, I'm in a Hamlet (not even a Village) and it's a fairly long drive to go store to store, and from past experience I've learned that calling does not yield useful answers. :)

Anyone ever try the Old Country stuff? or know where else may carry ammonia?

I use Old Country from Home Hardware. It is unadulterated with scents and is very inexpensive. A 900ml bottle lasts years in this application.

Excellent... if the one near me has stock, it's only a 20-25min drive to the next town. That I can at least call ahead about, stock or not. :D

Video I saw said 1:10 ratio ammonia to water (and a hint of soap), and I have a 2.5l jug of distilled water at home to use... figured mix a batch for me and a batch for my friend (750ml Coke Bottles) and should last us a LONG time.

Excellent... if the one near me has stock, it's only a 20-25min drive to the next town. That I can at least call ahead about, stock or not. :D

Video I saw said 1:10 ratio ammonia to water (and a hint of soap), and I have a 2.5l jug of distilled water at home to use... figured mix a batch for me and a batch for my friend (750ml Coke Bottles) and should last us a LONG time.

1:10 with a drop of Sunlight dish washing detergent gets me results similar to Koh-i-Noor Rapiso-eze in an ultra-sonic cleaner.

Till now I've had trouble getting ammonia that is not scented. We have a Home Hardware in Alliston where I'll inquire.

Very useful thread. Thanks all.

*Sailor 1911S, Black/gold, 14k. 0.8 mm. stub(JM) *1911S blue "Colours", 14k. H-B "M" BLS (PB)

*2 Sailor 1911S Burgundy/gold: 14k. 0.6 mm. "round-nosed" CI (MM) & 14k. 1.1 mm. CI (JM)

*Sailor Pro-Gear Slim Spec. Ed. "Fire",14k. (factory) "H-B"

*Kaweco SPECIAL FP: 14k. "B",-0.6 mm BLS & 14k."M" 0.4 mm. BLS (PB)

*Kaweco Stainless Steel Lilliput, 14k. "M" -0.7 mm.BLS, (PB)

You are in SW Ontario, south of Goderich.

It's not like you are based in Moosonee or Attawapiskat or Kangursuk

Till now I've had trouble getting ammonia that is not scented. We have a Home Hardware in Alliston where I'll inquire.

Very useful thread. Thanks all.

I use to live there, only about 6 months before I moved down here. Nice area.

You are in SW Ontario, south of Goderich.

It's not like you are based in Moosonee or Attawapiskat or Kangursuk

No, but also not a fan of driving an hour to London or 50min to Goderich and driving around to random stores trying to find a $2 bottle of Ammonia.

Point was that in a small area like this, stores have pretty limited options. Even the Canadian Tire we have, almost never has stock on half what's on the site, Home Hardware, same deal... usually have to order stuff in.

A Canadian Tire or Shopper's Drugmart in Toronto, has different stock than here.

I've been using the Home Hardware Old Country brand for a long time with no "issues". Our local, much-loved store closed down a few years ago (I'm in Oshawa) so I stocked up in their final sale, 3 bottles! Since then another store has opened, so I reckon I'm safe for a while.

They had a few so went and grabbed one... probably last me the next 20yrs. :)

Had a pen soak overnight in water with a drop or two of soap, thought was clean but that flush solution I made god just a bit more outta it.

Mixed up a 750ml batch for myself and for my friend (coke bottles) so should last us a good long time. Only have a couple of pens and won't be flushing every time.

Mostly wanted it for the Ahab demonstrator I have, it's my ink-tester pen.

Sheesh, Exeter isn't that far from Zurich, they have a home hardware still don't they? Why not try Zehrs to see if they have some in the cleaning section.

PenRx is no longer in business.

The only place I was able to find it was Home Hardware...I'm in Calgary and had to run out to the Airdrie store.