Sunday In New York

Manalto

I'm going into the city to meet friends on the UWS for a bite to eat on Sunday. Are there any pen shops you'd recommend I see while I'm there? The legendary Fountain Pen Hospital is closed on Sundays, unfortunately, Any suggestions? Is Lee's on W57 worth a visit?

Thanks!

Edited by Manalto

James

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Manalto

• tmenyc

• gerigo

• strictlyobiter

I'm going into the city to meet friends on the UWS for a bite to eat on Sunday. Are there any pen shops you'd recommend I see while I'm there? The legendary Fountain Pen Hospital is closed on Sundays, unfortunately, Any suggestions? Is Lee's on W57 worth a visit?

Thanks!

If I were visiting friends in the city I would be intent on visiting 2 stationary & office supply stores.

1. Phil's Stationary @ 9 E 47th St, between 5th & Madison, ph: 212.688.4144( I was unable to find hours of operation)

2. Janoff's Typewriter & Stationery, 2870 Broadway, ph: 212.866.5747, listed Sunday 10 til 6:30 open

You should google Phils for a better "picture." I discovered him from his offerings on Amazon that consist of obviously discontinued inks. They are ridiculously priced @ $39.95 with a LIMIT of "only 1 per customer!" There is a pretty interesting review from a customer who visited the shop as well. I picture it as "filled to the brim with untold treasures!"

I purchased a Cross Solo pen from Janoffs thru Amazon BUT I was most impressed because after inquiring about available nib sizes they kindly agreed to supply me one with a broad after saying the pens listed on Amazon were all medium nibs. Excellent communication & a Cross branded converter was included as a "gift" when I received the pen. Their price was almost $20.00 less than similar listings on Ebay & superb customer service. (This was a pen I was purchasing to "harvest" the nib to convert a Parker "Big Red" rollerball into a fountain pen)

There are brands listed on his website of items stocked BUT I was thinking about "Typewriter's" when I noticed your posting!

At any rate have a nice time during your visit whether it is with a "good book" or "having a good root among vintage office supplies, inks or pens."

Thanks for this. Janoff's will be easy to visit, since it's not far away from my destination on the Upper West Side. I'll have to check out Phil's some other time; it's closed on Sundays. I'll report here if I find anything worth sharing!

James

Try Kinokuniya, the Japanese book/stationary/manga store on 6th Avenue and 40th Street, directly across the street from Bryant Park. From UWS: from Broadway: 1/2/3 to Times Square, front of the train, one block east; or from Central Park West, A/C/D/B to 42d and 6th, in the second block below 42d. Wonderful store, great Japanese pen selection downstairs, also notebooks. I'm sure they'll be open. Then you can sit in Bryant Park and read.

http://www.kinokuniya.com/us/index.php/fho003

Tim

Edited by tmenyc

Tim

timsvintagepens.com and @timsvintagepens

Good idea, Tim. I wondered about Kinokuniya; I used to go there often when I worked in the neighborhood on 39th and Madison, but this was before my acquisition of fountain pens got pathological. I got my Waterman 'Opera' in that neighborhood too, around 1999-2000 at a tiny stationery store not far from Grand Central. I suspect that store is no longer.

ETA: Tim, I didn't read your post carefully. Kinokuniya must have a new location. When I went there, it was on the East Side. It's easier to get to where it is now. Thanks for moving it for me.

Edited by Manalto

James

I'll take full credit for the move. Enjoy!

Tim

Tim

timsvintagepens.com and @timsvintagepens

Wow, thanks for the 2 leads. Having lived in NYC for 3 years now, I only know of the famous FPH also my other favorite, Altman Luggage. During the time I lived here, I have had the misfortune of witnessing both Joon and Art Brown shuttering.

Altman is an interesting place because they have a small side business in pens. They do have quite a wide range but many are not displayed and you have to ask. They are also very generous with the discounts, typically 5-10% more than the industry standard 20% off list. The only unfortunate thing is that they only stock their pens in F and M. So you're out of luck if you're a fan of B and Stub nibs.

I typically don't go to Kinokuniya for their fountain pens. They have a dismal selection and prices are FULL retail. And it's retail when the yen was at it's peak. Go for their wide range of inexpensive amazing Japanese pens and pencils, stationery and most of all notebooks. They have Midori, Marumen, Life and a few other brands that escape me at the moment.

Also don't forget the flagship stores of all the top brands, such as Montblanc, Smythson, Cartier, Louis Vuitton, Hermes etc. They all carry fountain pens and have the best selection in the country. Of all the brands, Montblanc is the best because they have a tester set they encourage you to try, as does Hermes. Cartier and Louis Vuiton don't see to be as interested to sell their pens. But if you're interested to touch and see, and perhaps get their folders, folios or paper products, this is the place to do it.

Edited by gerigo

Wow, I'm glad I found this thread. I'll be in NYC from next week for a few weeks. I'm mostly interested in picking up paper from Kinokuniya. Do they stock the large A4 Maruman and Life pads?

I'm excited now!

I am not sure, as those sizes are not the ones I go for. Their stock is quite large so they should have it. I was comparing it to the smaller stationery shops in Tokyo, and their stock, I would say, are on par.

Wow, I'm glad I found this thread. I'll be in NYC from next week for a few weeks. I'm mostly interested in picking up paper from Kinokuniya. Do they stock the large A4 Maruman and Life pads?

I'm excited now!

I am not sure, as those sizes are not the ones I go for. Their stock is quite large so they should have it. I was comparing it to the smaller stationery shops in Tokyo, and their stock, I would say, are on par.

Thanks for replying! I'll report back in a few weeks.