Jinhao X750 Flakes For Breakfast?

Ichiro

6 months of use. Endcap broke off so I taped the hole and stuffed a little paper to slow the nib drying out. I usually clip it in my shirt pocket. The peeling started around the 5 month mark. I ended up scraping the cap clean. Now the bodies turn to peel at 6 months 😭

I don't throw around my pen nor do I pocket it with keys. I want to chalk it up to a dud and want to order another but........

Anyone else have this issue

post-124702-0-95729100-1440444946_thumb.jpg

Edited by Ichiro

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Pickwick

• Ichiro

• Uncial

• Karmachanic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Yes, I had the same problem with a Jinhao 159. I removed all the paint from the barrel and cap, polished up the brass and it turned out a better looking pen!

They came as a boon, and a blessing to men,
The Pickwick, the Owl and the Waverley pen

Sincerely yours,

Pickwick

Yes, I had the same problem with a Jinhao 159. I removed all the paint from the barrel and cap, polished up the brass and it turned out a better looking pen!

Would you mind posting a photo of that? I'm intrigued to see what it looks like without it's skin

I'm torn whether or not to order another product. I like heavy and affordable but don't want to replace a pen every six months.

I started searching other pens and found Monteverde but then read of flaking issues too

Oh well back to the search function

Here is the polished Jinhao 159

post-42070-0-46063600-1440457197_thumb.jpg

Sincerely yours,

Pickwick

Suprisingly it's function was great but the form.....opposite of what I would have guessed. Oh well, at least it cost less than a restaurant burger :lol:

Now i'm craving a burger :rolleyes:

Ooo, that brass looks nice. Hmm, perhaps a project pen for me in the future. I am inspired. Do you wax the bronze to block oxidation or just repolish here and there?

Ooh, that brass looks nice. Hmm, perhaps a project pen for me in the future. I am inspired. Do you wax the bronze to block oxidation or just re-polish here and there?

Just polish, not sure whether the polish I used has left a residue which needs cleaning off before applying a lacquer. Given the price I paid for the pen I felt it didn't justify any finishing.

Sincerely yours,

Pickwick

I bought one in the same finish, the cap was chipping and peeling within a day of use.

Fountain pens forever and forever a hundred years fountain pens, all day long forever, forever a hundred times, over and over Fountain Pen Network Adventures dot com!

- Joe

I bought one in the same finish, the cap was chipping and peeling within a day of use.

It's seems to be a common problem, mine started with tiny blisters. It's probably due in failing to prepare the brass properly before coating.

Sincerely yours,

Pickwick

Just to counterweight all this, I'd add that I have 3 that I have used for months, one of which has fallen out of my pocket onto a concrete pavement, and I haven't experienced this problem yet (although the one that fell has a tiny ding in it, but I suspect the fall would have cracked most pens I own).

Wow. That looks nice.

Anyone like Ray Bradbury? Please read "The Laurel and Hardy Love Affair" if you have about 12 minutes.

You will not forget this wonderful gem that is largely obscure and sadly, forgotten. http://bit.ly/1DZtL4g

Suprisingly it's function was great but the form.....opposite of what I would have guessed. Oh well, at least it cost less than a restaurant burger :lol:

Now i'm craving a burger :rolleyes:

Darn. Now I need a burger

Anyone like Ray Bradbury? Please read "The Laurel and Hardy Love Affair" if you have about 12 minutes.

You will not forget this wonderful gem that is largely obscure and sadly, forgotten. http://bit.ly/1DZtL4g

• 3 years later...

Oh yes! Mine's about 2 months old and it started to peel already, both the body and the grip section!

kwPFCcw.jpg

2xeXhbE.jpg

2xeXhbE.jpg

I thought I was the only one..

I love the pen, and how it writes, yet this is peeling issue is starting to get quite annoying.

I suspect that some pen users have acidic or caustic sweat that causes paint to peel and blister. This is especially the case where an individual has gallbladder problems

Yesterday, after my post, I got angry and peeled the whole paint off.

I used plastic a guitar pick and and plastic tweezers (Chinese repair tool parts from my screen replacement kit) to peel off. They don't scratch the brass. I scratched making vertical moves. The most time took was for below the metal grip section on the cap.

Here's the outcome. This was a matte metal Jinhao x750:

VeblHWP.jpg

I didn't do any polishing, just peeled the paint off.

I hope the brass doesn't get rusted after a while. So far the feel's quite good. Almost identical to silver version except the top and bottom caps.

Edited by Ardakilic

Black matte finishes are notoriously fragile. Much more expensive pens have issues with it. Examples are the pilot VP and Lamy Dialog 3.