The Value Of An Object, An Object With No Value

Nurmister

Good Evening!

I've been carrying an MB 162 rollerball throughout my life - school, work, and now the Army (yikes!). It's a nice-looking pen. It's ostentatious at times. It's refined at others.

I recently broke it whilst running - dropped and then crushed it with my foot. I was deeply troubled. Not by my expected sadness but by a realization. The pen, more specifically, this Montblanc, is just a concept. Whether it is good or bad, worth the trouble or not, it is my concept. And thus it really shouldn't mean anything - and your pens really shouldn't mean anything. Who says they're even pens? You do. And I do (I used my 162 to dig a hole once but that's a different story).

I thus feel disheartened I've grown so attached to this pen. But I have. It's my concept. But I shouldn't be.

Sigh...we stylophiles are odd people. We are, without concept, very odd people. Enjoy these toys without attachment, if you can. Just my 0.02 cents.

Yours Sincerely,

Nurmy Wormy

PS - I'm looking for a replacement. I will say this without reservation. If you would have one you're willing to donate to me, I will donate some money straight back at you. I am a little low on cash though, but I'm attached.

Edited by Nurmister

The topside of a nib is its face, the underside its soul (user readytotalk)

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Nurmister

• meiers

• Ellison

• Joe in Seattle

Maybe the reason I liked it so much is because it became a reflection of my personality? That's a sad thing to say, but it's true. These pens are nice, once you get past the price. A nice old world solidness and plainness about them. Excluding the snowcap, of course.

Welcome, Nurmister. This is just my 2 cents (yes, a full 2 cents!), but there are many worse things to become attached to. As a relatively new member of the forum myself, I recognize my own high regard for beautiful writing instruments and how one can become attached and enamored with them. And not just one pen! Ha, thats where the real challenge lies! But oh my, what a delightful challenge!

The tactile act of writing with a fountain pen that gives a smooth line and directly connects your thoughts to paper is joyful experience for some and not for others. For some, writing with a rollerball may provide the same gratification. For those attached to a keyboard, it is, well, a different sort of attachment.

So be it. We are what we are. May you soon find another pen to replace your Montblanc 162. And may you write long and prosper.

Cheers!

PS, I actually find that the act of graphical expression with my fountain pens inspires me to write my thoughts and feelings and helps me to do this in a way that the computer keyboard cannot do.

Late to bed, late to rise

No disadvantage that I can surmise

I love your language. It so effectively enforces the very valid point you have indirectly (and maybe inadvertently) made about becoming attached to something you express yourself with. It certainly takes on a different role after that!

Thank you for your sentiments.

Boo hoo!

Maybe the reason I liked it so much is because it became a reflection of my personality? That's a sad thing to say, but it's true. These pens are nice, once you get past the price. A nice old world solidness and plainness about them. Excluding the snowcap, of course.

Have compassion for yourself, Nurmister. You may like things with an "old world solidness and plainness about them" Of course, I do not know you. But if this is a reflection of your personality, then you are in fine company and should not worry.

Late to bed, late to rise

No disadvantage that I can surmise

What about asking MB for a repair? Their level one repair cost in the U.S. is $80-90 I believe.

"how do I know what I think until I write it down?"

That is what I'd do.

I sent them the pieces of a totally destroyed 146 for a nib exchange.

I received a completely rebuilt pen at a very reasonable price.

Its healthy in life to have a few different hobbies. Its an important outlet and it helps to keep everything in balance so you do not become too focused and stressed out over your job, marriage, family, finances, or whatever. Do not feel guilty over doing something healthy as long as you do it in moderation.

Regarding your broken Montblanc. Mail it to the service center along with a letter explaining exactly what happened and why this pen is improtant to you. I had a similar thing happen to a Montblanc ballpoint that had a lot of sentimental value to me, 25 years ago. Montblanc completely repaired the pen and refused to accept any money from me. A great company that stands behind its products. (I subsequently became a lifelong Montblanc customer). They may charge you something, but I bet it will be considerably less than the replacement cost. Let us know how it turns out.

Good luck.

• 2 months later...

To all of you who replied: thank you.

It has been a few months, and I have been waiting to offer an update.

Montblanc replaced the pen for a nominal servicing fee! They also mailed me back the fragments of my old pen, which was a nice touch.

Not much else to say - I will avoid addressing my previous existential questions.

The standard of service they offered me is on par with that of Cross, another manufacturer that stands confidently with its products.

Kindest Regards,

Nurmister

Edited by Nurmister

~ @Nurmister

What a pleasing outcome!

Thank you for sharing it with us.

I agree that it was a nice touch to return the remnants of the original pen.

Your appreciation of quality shows in how you express yourself.

May the replacement pen be the tool for sharing your insights and fancies!

Tom K.

Good result ! Thanks for updating us

fpn_1447602407__tear.jpg

A wise man once said    " the best revenge is wealth "   but a wiser man answered back    " the best revenge is happiness "

The true definition of madness - Doing the same thing everyday and expecting different results......

I'm glad that Montblanc took care of you rb.

I do kind of understand you deeper questions and agree with the great people on this network that it's actually hard to get through life without some kind of escapist fantasy. My pens provide that for me. On the down side, my attachment to them seems absurd at times. On the upside, it's a completely harmless hobby or obsession, unlike others.

"If you can spend a perfectly useless afternoon in a perfectly useless manner, you have learned how to live."

– Lin Yu-T'ang