Mob Mentality

I believe I have completed an inventory though it might be a little off. I have far less than the 8,000 I originally thought I had with a total of 6,543 nibs and over 30 different kinds. It's hard to keep track of what I have counted. This total excludes any nibs I have used. I usually like to use atleast one of each kind to try them out.

"Our chief want is someone who will inspire us to be what we know we could be."

-Ralph Waldo Emerson

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Mob Mentality

• AAAndrew

• fountainpagan

• Cryptos

I found this great website that has non-indicating cobalt chloride free silica gel. Also there indictaing silica gel is also cobalt chloride free. Check it out.

https://www.desiccantpackets.com/

-Ralph Waldo Emerson

So, I was at Dollar Tree (a store where everything is, pretty much, a dollar. go figure) and I found these perfect little hardware storage boxes. They're cheap (did I mention $1.00?) and they're the perfect size, the sides of each little compartment are sloped to make it easy to get them out, and the nibs stay in their compartments even if the box is upside down. They also stack and can be easily labeled.

Edited: I found them online http://www.dollartree.com/toys/Craft-Supplies/Plastic-Compartmented-Storage-Cases/629c1102c1102p352679/index.pro?method=search

I'm liking them so much I'm going to get another couple

fpn_1440955298__image.jpg

fpn_1440955327__image.jpg

Edited by AAAndrew

“When the historians of education do equal and exact justice to all who have contributed toward educational progress, they will devote several pages to those revolutionists who invented steel pens and blackboards.” V.T. Thayer, 1928

Check out my Steel Pen Blog

"No one is exempt from talking nonsense; the mistake is to do it solemnly."

-Montaigne

AAAndrew,

That's a great idea. I went to the dollar tree near me but they didn't have anything that looked like that unless I missed it. I ended up getting a couple gallon containers and filled them with nib boxes. I'll have to check out the dollar tree website link. About how many nibs fit in the smaller compartments in those containers? If it has a recyling symbol what number is in it? I ask because this number can be used to identify what kind of plastic it's made out of. Certain plastic can be harmful for long term store such as PVC.

-Ralph Waldo Emerson

The recycle number is 5 and it depends on the nib. I can hold a full gross of smaller nibs, and at least 80 of the Falcons. And the box is nicely slim as well. Those nibs really stack well.

“When the historians of education do equal and exact justice to all who have contributed toward educational progress, they will devote several pages to those revolutionists who invented steel pens and blackboards.” V.T. Thayer, 1928

-Montaigne

• 1 month later...

As an update I have finally compiled an inventory. The current total is: 9062 nibs. It is still a work in progress. I apologize if the images are blurry I had to convert the PDF you can zoom in though. Here's the break down:

http://i1377.photobucket.com/albums/ah48/Davide_Borrelli/00001_zpskg61p1uw.jpg

http://i1377.photobucket.com/albums/ah48/Davide_Borrelli/00002_zpstp6g85vl.jpg

Edited by Mob Mentality

-Ralph Waldo Emerson

That list construction is superb. Thanks for putting it up. I wish there was a list like this where everyone could contribute this type of information (minus quantities). Being new to dip pens I find the field is even more confusing than the fp world!

Noodler's Konrad Acrylics (normal+Da Luz custom flex) ~ Lamy AL-Stars/Vista F/M/1.1 ~ Handmade Barry Roberts Dayacom M ~ Waterman 32 1/2, F semi-flex nib ~ Conklin crescent, EF super-flex ~ Aikin Lambert dip pen EEF super-flex ~ Aikin Lambert dip pen semi-flex M ~ Jinhao X450s ~ Pilot Custom Heritage 912 Posting Nib ~ Sailor 1911 Profit 21k Rhodium F. Favourite inks: Iroshizuku blends, Noodler's CMYK blends.

Welcome to the world of dip pens. Originally I went into further detail such as listing the imprint on the nib, more specific grind info such as double grind, single grind, polished grind, ect... It became far to much work to do that for the 80 plus types of nibs that I have. I am still working on completing the last column of the list. Some may disagree with me but I like dip pens far more than fountain pens. The exception being some vintage flex pens such as a Mabie Todd Swan or Waterman 52 both of which I have. There are some nibs on that list which I find as smooth or smoother than some fountain pens.

-Ralph Waldo Emerson

I have finally found a storage solution that I believe will hold all of my nibs. Each draw is about 6 in long, 3 in wide, and about 3 in deep. There is also a little slot above the handles for a name card. Here it is:

http://i1377.photobucket.com/albums/ah48/Davide_Borrelli/0822151550a_zpsou88v2lt.jpg

-Ralph Waldo Emerson

Wow, Wow and Wow! The collection of nibs, the catalogueing and the storage solutions being discussed are both amazing to view and humourous at the same time.

Congratulations to both Andrew and Mob on all three fronts.

I only have a small set of 10-15 nibs with me.

I like your storage cabinet, it looks like a library card index file.

After checking out the list, I was going through my small collection of nibs and found that while it consists of maybe 2 gross, most are either Turner & Harrison no.97 small stub, or Esterbrook 1000 School nibs.

The rest are a mix, my favorite being a Palmer Method no.9.

Why don't we start a dip Pen show & tell? That would be fun!

• 3 weeks later...

So I see your collection is blown out by the Eagle "Tutor" nibs. I've seen these periodically, how do you like them? Are they flexible, semi-flex, firm? Almost half you collection are these pens. I'm sure you've tried one or two by now. :D

Oh, I forgot. I'm now up to 5 of those cases and around 1380 nibs. I've stopped for the time because I'm starting to discover what I like (flex-to-semi-flex smooth fine) and I have plenty of these. I'm also starting to get rid of those that don't fit my writing style. (like those fine Estie 354 and 355 mapping pens, way too delicate for my clod-hopper hands)

Mob, how do you store the nibs in the drawers? In bags? In their boxes in bags?

Edited by AAAndrew

-Montaigne

I do like the E740. I find them to be a smooth, fine, firm nib. The best comparison would be the Esterbrook 556. The main reason I purchased them is because I love Eagle Pencil Co's nibs and holders. So when I saw the carton and the price I bought them immediately. At the time there were actually two cartons, (7200 nibs) available. It was an international transaction so I decided to just buy the one carton.They are not as nice as some older hand ground nibs I have by the same company but the difference is subtle and not easily perceptible. For less than $4 a box with free shipping registered mail from Australia how can you go wrong. I've seen boxes sell from $30 to $50 or more which to me is crazy. Happy Fountain Pen Day!

-Ralph Waldo Emerson

Thanks, good to know. I've got a few Eagle E840 "Modern Writer" and they're nice and smooth, very nicely made. Sounds like you got a great deal.

Happy FPD back at you!

-Montaigne

• 4 months later...

Ah, what some months have wrought. I chuckle to myself when I read back in August of last year I wrote, "[Esterbrook bank pens] are the only ones I'd like to get more of." Ha!

I've continued to use the Dollar Store cases, and have been scouring the countryside for them, and buy them whenever I see one.

I've now split my collection into a more detailed classification by maker, imprint (e.g. "R. Esterbrook & Co" vs. "R. Esterbrook & Co's"), coating (e.g. bronze vs. grey) and of course number. That's how I have quite a few entries for Esterbrook 048 Falcons, for example.

I'm now up to close to 9000 nibs with quite a variety. Just using Name and Number, I have about 270 different models.

As you can see in the boxes, I started to add labels for each different model on the lids, but found that I add new ones that have to fit in somehow often enough, that labeling just the general label for the box has to suffice.

fpn_1458486939__image.jpeg

I recently did a massive re-inventory and re-classification and used small slips of paper for each model. When I put them back into the boxes I just added the papers with them. They've proved to be useful, and moveable so I may end up creating something like that for every model instead of labels on the lid.

fpn_1458486859__image.jpeg

fpn_1458486898__image.jpeg

And then the full collection of nib storage boxes. Not every box is full or every compartment used. I currently am using 42 of the boxes with 13 compartments in each, but some models, especially full boxes, can stretch across more than one compartment in a box. I try to leave some room for when I get additional numbers that fit between the ones I have.

fpn_1458487006__image.jpeg

My Esterbrooks are divided by hundreds (100's, 200's...) with the 048's separate in their own two boxes, and the 100's and 300's also requiring three boxes. The other makers with their own dedicated boxes are the Eagles, Isaacs, Hunts, Spencerian, Gillott's, and Turner & Harrison.

Anyway, this gives you an idea of how I sort and store my nibs. My boxes are currently stored separately. I keep one nib in the box and move the rest of the nibs to this storage. The paper of the boxes is too prone to absorbing and keeping moisture. I'm not sure how to finally store or display the boxes yet. Right now it's just keeping them safe. I've attached a pdf of my whole collection inventory.

-Montaigne

Andrew, very nice to see your collection is expanding. After searching and searching I was only able to find 2 of those containers that you originally suggested. I really like the containers but they seem illusive when looking for them. Instead of using them for dip pens I've been using them to store all of my Esterbrook Renew-Points. I would need a significant amount of boxes to store my collection of dip pens. There are also nibs which I never counted or put on my inventory, not sure why.

Over 70% of my collection is in boxes and at least 50% are in unopened sealed boxes. Which means out of the apprx. 9,000 nibs I have only say 2 to 3 thousand are not in boxes. I have about 70 or more boxes and have no idea what to do with them. Any suggestions? Do you think it would be better not to store nibs in their original boxes. Each box of nibs is currently in a bag with a silica desiccant.

I love the labeling you did on those containers. For my nibs that are not in boxes they are stored in bags with a small piece of paper stating company, point number, and quantity in pencil. This makes it easy when looking through them.

I have pretty much stopped buying dip pens because let's face it, I have a lot. I still look quite often though especially for interesting holders, inkwells, and pens trays. I really want a mammoth falcon holder so I can try them out. Also I'd really like to get a sterling silver holder. I have plenty of wood, bone, aluminum, celluloid, brass, and other materials but I think a silver one would be really nice. Lately I've been buy more fountain pens because I used them when not at home. I'm up to 6 Parker 51s. Though I must say The Waverley Pen is by far the smoothest dip pen nib I've ever used it is smoother than some of my fountain pens. No wonder Sheaffer stole the idea and used on their fountain pens particularly their inlaid nibs.

I really like inkwells that have a screw on lid but have only ever found one. Do have any suggestions on inkwells?

On a side note what did you think about the lyceum stubs?

-Ralph Waldo Emerson

I thought I would share a new addition to my collection. Don't be fooled this dip pen is huge! See the normal size dip pen for comparison. http://i1377.photobucket.com/albums/ah48/Davide_Borrelli/6ced8198-59e6-41ef-ba88-955eba41f0e4_zpsx3oqvpos.jpg

-Ralph Waldo Emerson

I was hoping the above holder would fit the Esterbrook #340 Mammoth Falcon. When it arrived, to my surprise, the holder was far too big!

-Ralph Waldo Emerson

That's quite a holder! Or it's a spear for taking down water buffalo.

The lyceum stubs are nice, but not the nicest stubs I have. I recently got some Spencerian Society Stubs, and they, along with the Hunt x-62 and Esterbrook Chancellor stubs are my favorite non-falcon stubs.

I don't know much about inkwells. I use the dinky dips myself from John Neal Booksellers. Most old inkwells are not very functional and I'm not there yet.

I've had to enter a program, but I do now admit that I am a collector. I'm way past user, and collecting for specific types of nibs. I just have to learn to embrace the label and go with it.

I've been focusing collecting on variety, mainly US companies, as well as I've got a couple of sub-categories going. One is Leon Isaacs & Co. pens with my holy grail being a box of pre-1900 nibs (before they were bought by Turner & Harrison). The other accidental sub-category is railroad nibs. I just happened to have picked up some fun nibs with the imprint of railroads on them. Not a big collection, but kind of fun.

I also have a few that I can tie back to history. I have a box of nibs given out by Esterbrook at the 1914 New York Stationers' Association annual banquet. Only 347 guests attended, so there can't be many more than that ever to exist. And it still has half or so of it's 314 Relief nibs which are gilt.

I don't have a Mammoth Falcon yet, though. But I have been able to add a little information and a few images to The Esterbrook Project site. So, I'm having fun.

I also didn't successfully attach the pdf so here it is with all of my collection laid out.

Hello, my name is Andrew. I'm a collector.

NibInventoryMaster.pdf

-Montaigne