The First Montblanc Meisterstück

Vossi

Hello My Dear Fellows,

Im going to get my first Montblanc Meisterstück coming friday, I've been safing my money for about 3 months now, and now finally the time has come.

I heard many people saying "oh no you have to get it pre-owned" I don't think so. I want to be the first owner of the pen, even if this means I have to pay a lot more.

Doing the first stroke, the first filling, that's what it is all about to me, when Im getting a new pen.

Also I got an old pre-owned Montblanc 121, which is an big dissapointment, because its just damaged.

So yeah, I will test out the two pens 149 and 146 and then decide which one will be the best fit for me.

I'll keep you guys updated, how I got served at the boutique and how the writing and overall the pen feels within the days of usage.

I also know there are many posts about this pen out there, but I wanted to do an in depth one, without any opinion untill I got the pen

stay tuned!

Vossi

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Vossi

• jmccarty3

• Zhenni

• Nathanb

I'm excited to read your progress. I went into a Montblanc boutique in Las Vegas a month or so ago; the sales associate was very nice, and even let us play with a Boheme even though we said we were just admiring. I got lucky with my pre-owned 344. It is perfect for how I write.

Oh thank you guys! :3

I was a bit anxious, since this was my first post, but you took it away! :)

I'll just edit this post, marking the progress with a new cut, instead of spamming the forum, since I dont know,

how long this will be exciting or enjoyable.

(btw: I'm 16 so I'm going to be an very young owner of such an pen :))

I'm excited to read your progress. I went into a Montblanc boutique in Las Vegas a month or so ago; the sales associate was very nice, and even let us play with a Boheme even though we said we were just admiring. I got lucky with my pre-owned 344. It is perfect for how I write.

An 344 what an excellent pen, I've heard alot about this pen, and maybe I'll purchase one of those later on.

But my financial possibilities are a little bit...let's say: restricted, since I don't earn that much atm.

Good luck with further do with this pen!

My first Meisterstück was a new 146 UNICEF 2013 model, after it all have been used, i've been happy with all of them :) can't go wrong either way. besides you can get any nib you want if you go new.

My first Meisterstück was a new 146 UNICEF 2013 model, after it all have been used, i've been happy with all of them :) can't go wrong either way. besides you can get any nib you want if you go new.

The thing with the free nib choice is one of the main reasons.

I want to take a closer look at the B BB and OB nibs on both of the pens, since those (besides the OB nib) are the sizes I'm used to.

Hopefully the MB-Coworkers dont get mad by me testing 6 different nibs :D

But its an 750€/520€ Pen.....it has to be suitable.

My 344 is possibly the best writing pen I own. I bought it from ÜberPens a couple of years ago, and I do recommend them as a source for vintage MBs. Just recently bought a 224 from them in brushed black with brushed gold cap, with an OB nib--quite an unusual pen.

To Vossi: I was 17 when I bought my first MB 149, so you shouldn't think you are too young to appreciate such a pen. Try what they have at the boutique and choose what fits more comfortably in your hand and what speaks to your heart. And if there is any JFK or Jonathan Swift ink at your boutique, buy all they have. If you don't use it, you can resell it at a profit.

Rationalizing pen and ink purchases since 1967.

Enjoy I thought the same thing about my first MB.... I went for the 146 because I have small hands I found the 149 too big and bulky for my liking.

Edited by GordonOZ

Nature is the one song of praise that never stops singing. - Richard Rohr

Poets don't draw. They unravel their handwriting and then tie it up again, but differently. - Jean Cocteau

Ο Θεός μ 'αγαπάς

Hello My Dear Fellows,

This is the first Update I can give to you:

(If you know how I could just update the original post please tell me)

So today I went to a local Warehouse that has an Montblanc seller there.

The nice women showed me with no questioning the following pens:

-MB 149

-Mb146

-MB Starwalker as fountainpen

-MB Heritage 1911

I took a closer look on following nibs:

On the 146, which was the first pen I hold in my hands, which is a perfect size and shape by the way, I tested an B and an OBB nib

both really spectacular nibs! No issues, wrote directly after filling the pen with some ink. (I told her to do that because if i just dip a nib, it will write.....most likely)

On the 149 I just had the opportunity to test an B nib.

She tipped the nib like to 1/3 in the ink bottle and the first thing the nib did after touching the paper was nothing.

(btw this was the ONLY 149 they had there so if I would have bought it there, I would have been dissapointet, because I would have had to wait for an fresh new one.

The women was sweating bullets as she saw my face.

The pen is ridicioulusly large, has most likely baby's-bottom syndrome and costs ~200€ more then the 146.

Since I didn't have the chance to write, with an 149, more then 3 strokes before the inkflow interupted I just can give you my opinion about the pen comfort.

The Starwalker fountain pen she gave me was also an B

Not much to say about it, it wrote well, is an cartridge filled pen so its not quite what I want. The nib also doesn't look like anything special.

Dear Montblanc: To just put your Star everywhere, doesn't make a nib look better.

The Heritage was an Medium-nib

It is an heavy pen, but well balanced.

The whole concept with the nib and the piston-filler had a nice touch!

I think as I wrote I felt something "flexish" the tines spread but I didnt want to squeeze 'em beacause its an 830€ pen, i haven't had the money with me to repair it.

The look is simple, but quite flashy.

Score:

146: 10/10 just all I need on an fountainpen

149: 6/10 90% brand 10% quality tbh

Starwalker: 7/10

Heritage: 8/10 too heavy (for my preferences) design not worth the money (for me)

I know don't put design over function, but if I have an gold-nib I want that everybody in the room knows it, if I have an 200-300€ nib which looks like simple polished steel, I feel cheap.

Thanks for your recent attention on this post.

Regards,

Vossi

Edited by Vossi

Well, I had 2 MB149s and have 2 MB146s. Sold the 149s because the nib was so long, I tended to grip the pen too low and it was quite uncomfortable for me. The 146 is much much more to my liking.

And, no it isn't the girth of the MB149. I have 3 Delta Dolcevita Media which are all fatter and girthier than the MB 149.

This brings up an interesting topic. I believe that different writers have different nib lengths with which they feel comfortable. For example, I very much like my 149s and M1000s, while I am not as pleased with Parker 51s and other short-nibbed pens. The Pilot Vanishing Point probably would drive me crazy.

My 344 is possibly the best writing pen I own. I bought it from ÜberPens a couple of years ago, and I do recommend them as a source for vintage MBs.

Thanks for the recommendation! Always good to know of reputable sources.

This brings up an interesting topic. I believe that different writers have different nib lengths with which they feel comfortable. For example, I very much like my 149s and M1000s, while I am not as pleased with Parker 51s and other short-nibbed pens. The Pilot Vanishing Point probably would drive me crazy.

that is completely right. But I don't consider the 149 a good fit for my daily use at home and stuff

You will love your 146. This is why it is so important to visit dealers where you can actually hold or write with the pen.

My first high-end pen was - and still is - a Montblanc 146 with a medium nib. It is now 30 years old, and I've had it for more than half my lifetime. Other than some loss of gold plating on the clip, the pen is in perfect condition and writes like a champ. As others have said, you will love the 146 :happyberet:

✒️ :happyberet:

@Vossi:

I am going to move this topic to the Montblanc forum.

This is not a review.

As soon as you have the data for your review or reviews, please open a new topic, one per pen, please.

For the moment: enjoy your pens.

D.ick

~

KEEP SAFE, WEAR A MASK, KEEP A DISTANCE.

Freedom exists by virtue of self limitation.

~