Diamine Announce Their 10 New Shimmertastic Inks!

Chrissy

Sparkling Shadows has clogged my TWSBI 580 after three days of not using it.

Thanks on my behalf. I continue to seek to sample several of the colors in my Omas Ogiva Alba. So far, I have tried the red lustre and sparkling shadows is loaded in it now. I am going to keep an eye out. Although, this Diamine shimmertastic seems to be the only ink my Alba agrees with so I hope it does not clog it as it did with your TWSBI 580. As I had a TWSBI months ago, luckily you can take it completely apart. :)

Ea Alis Volat Propiis, per/Repletus Fontis Calamus!
She Flies by Her Own Wings, with filled Fountain Pen

Delta DolceVita, F-C Intrinsic 02, Pelikan M800 red/black striation, Bexley ATB Strawberry Swirl, Red Jinhao 159, Platinum 3776 Bourgogne. :wub:

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Chrissy

• drafty

• Feathers

• pepsiplease69

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Cultpens have just put them on their website for 9.95 British Pounds. Though not yet available for preorder.

Though still no pictures of the bottles or have I missed one? Before I decide if I have to buy all :yikes: I would really love to know what

For what its worth I have Purple Pizzazz (gold flecks) and Blue Lightning (silver flecks) . Both were bought and used for Xmas cards in cheap* Jinhao pens in case they clogged. While the inks are nice colours, the shimmer is a little more subtle than I expected, and you need to shike / mix the ink up before filling as the shiny drops out on standing.

Only thing I noted was in the Jinhao 15 (the style in case I have the number wrong is the one that tapers in at the middle) the Blue/Silver shimmer wasn't really apparent, it was there just not a lot, not worked out if it was the shiny not getting into the pen or to do with the fact its a fine nib. The Purple loaded pen was fine as far as I can tell, lots of shimmer if a bit subtle.

Both pens have not yet been cleaned (I know on my to do list), the one loaded with purple is dry as we used all the ink up, but the Blue loaded one is fine and not clogged other than not very sparkly as mentioned above.

*Cheap is relative, I don't own many pens that retailed at over £25, but these were sub £5 ones via Ebay.

I love them, it seems that my broader Lamys cope better with them...

Magna est Veritas et Prœvalet

Inks: Waterman's Purple & Blue, Diamine Amaranth & Aqua Lagoon, Lamy Black, J.Hebin Lavender Blue

If you're in the UK and want to swap a sample let me know.

I love them, it seems that my broader Lamys cope better with them...

Have you tried several of the colors?

Edited by fountainpenlady

Ea Alis Volat Propiis, per/Repletus Fontis Calamus!
She Flies by Her Own Wings, with filled Fountain Pen

Delta DolceVita, F-C Intrinsic 02, Pelikan M800 red/black striation, Bexley ATB Strawberry Swirl, Red Jinhao 159, Platinum 3776 Bourgogne. :wub:

+1

and check my signature

Catching up on this thread. What's the source of the first quote in your sig file? It's hilarious!

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

AFAIK, all inks with sparkly bits need shaking before use and gentle agitation in the pen to keep the bits in suspension. The sheen and sparkle are very pen and paper dependent - broader nibs and good paper bring out the best.

Life's too short to use crappy pens.  -carlos.q

AFAIK, all inks with sparkly bits need shaking before use and gentle agitation in the pen to keep the bits in suspension. The sheen and sparkle are very pen and paper dependent - broader nibs and good paper bring out the best.

I agree with you.

When you think about it, the particles are bound to settle whether they are inside a pen or in the bottle. Whenever I use mine I shake the bottle so that there are no particles at the bottom and fill the pen from it as quickly as I possibly can, and I put my nib as low into the bottle as I can.

So at that point, I can assume I have a mixture of ink and particles in my converter (or cartridge, and yes, I've filled cartridges of these inks from a syringe)

If you don't see particles when you write, either you didn't shake the bottle enough, or you didn't fill the pen before they resettled on the bottom of the bottle. Filling quickly after shaking the bottle well is the key.

The particles merely have to be mixed into the ink again when you come to use your pen as they will have settled either along the converter or at one end or the other. So your pen will also need shaking, but not too hard, especially if you don't have the cap on! Been there-done that, and don't recommend it!

Have you tried several of the colors?

I have tried all of the colours. I've also sent samples of the colours to several FP people who wanted to try them.

(It's not so difficult mailing them from the UK to the US)

Here's my points re: clogging/getting the particulates in the writing. Sorry if I'm stating the bleeding obvious:

1. I turn these bottles upside down and just leave them for 10 minutes or so. The particulates will always settle. When I want to fill the pen, I turn it right side up and wait until they start cascading. This has worked a little better than shaking for me. I draw air in when it's been shaken if the bottle is half full (look, how optimistic am I!).

2. Leaving the pen on its side or nib down makes things worse for feed cogging and hard starts in general. Again, the little bits settle to the bottom and leave you with a sediment. Nib up will help as they will settle to the opposite end of the converter/reservoir of whatever you are using (perhaps not the LE 146 or Edson Sapphire!). When you start writing you will get ink and then the shimmer will come through.

3. Write with a wet nib. Sounds obvious, but the difference is mega.

"Behind every great man is a woman rolling her eyes."

While this thread has been resurrected, please can I ask members to put forward any ideas of other colours they would love to see included in the shimmer inks range? The original 10 are not necessarily going to be the only 10. :)

While this thread has been resurrected, please can I ask members to put forward any ideas of other colours they would love to see included in the shimmer inks range? The original 10 are not necessarily going to be the only 10. :)

I know you have a magical forest green...

...but what about a more envious, sicker green with dark elements to it (see pic example - which still doesn't quite nail what I have in my head but...). The name Dark Sceptre comes to mind.

I always look for this type of acidic yellowy/green as it's my fave, but a black element creeping in with perhaps yellow gold shimmer or even black shimmer would make me go nuts.

Course, Montblanc never got back to me about my Inverse 149 idea so... :)

post-124183-0-21792700-1453313769.png

Edited by Drafty

Catching up on this thread. What's the source of the first quote in your sig file? It's hilarious!

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

I'm quoting Jim Carrey, and I'm pretty sure he's the origin.

It's sort of true in my household. I say sort of because I wouldn't be so presumptuous about my greatness!

Yes, others were mentioned, weren't they? And there were some more samples that didn't make the original short-list.

The Good Captain

"Meddler's 'Salamander' - almost as good as the real thing!"

Hiya Chrissy, this is good to hear! Knowing my current purple obsession, you probably won't be too surprised to hear me suggesting a sibling for Purple Pazzaz - Vibrant Violet! What I have in mind is a slightly darker violet than the standard Diamine Violet, with silver flakes rather than gold. Naturally I would be very happy to be a guinea pig if you are experimenting and need testers...

As far as I'm aware previous possibilities included silver, red and purple with silver particles, orange with gold particles, and a bright green with gold particles. I will have a look around and do some writing samples with what I have left although I know I was very low on many of them.

• 2 weeks later...

I have now written again with some of the inks that didn't make the final 10 launch, and I have permission to show them to you.

The first one one is Silver:

fpn_1454599581__diamine_shimmer_0009.jpg

Then there is Orange:

fpn_1454599654__diamine_shimmer_0018.jpg

Bright Green:

fpn_1454599722__diamine_shimmer_0015.jpg

Any votes any of these as possible additions to the colours?

I have now written again with some of the inks that didn't make the final 10 launch, and I have permission to show them to you.

The first one one is Silver:

fpn_1454599581__diamine_shimmer_0009.jpg

Then there is Orange:

fpn_1454599654__diamine_shimmer_0018.jpg

Bright Green:

fpn_1454599722__diamine_shimmer_0015.jpg

Any votes any of these as possible additions to the colours?

Last one - green :wub: and orange :thumbup:

bureaudirect the home of quality stationery
www.bureaudirect.co.uk
@bureaudirect