Sub $400 Pelikan M800 On Amazon

Aetheric Continua

I hope I'm not breaking rules here. If so, mods please tell me and do what needs to be done.

Not sure about the legitimacy of these, but I think these are potentially good deals. The companies seem to be all based in Japan.

Black M800 (no nib size specified) ~$350

Green Striped M800 (also no nib size specified) ~$370

Green Striped M800 (apparently a fine nib) ~$350

Edited by Aetheric Continua

"I have nixed all Noodler's inks in large part because of their feel, but also their behavior, etc. When I put Iroshizuku or Sailor ink into my pens, it's like the ink, pen, and paper are having a 3-some with smooth 'n sultry 70's jazz playing in the background." ~ Betweenthelines

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Aetheric Continua

• Erik Dalton

• T4TEXAS

• Andreas Weber

If you look at the detailed ratings for these vendors, you will not be quite so excited.

"You can't wait for inspiration. You have to go after it with a club."

- Jack London

http://i729.photobucket.com/albums/ww296/messiah_FPN/Badges/SnailBadge.png

If you look at the detailed ratings for these vendors, you will not be quite so excited.

I think I'm looking in the wrong places. Where are the detailed ratings? When I click on the venders' links, the "Lifetime" ratings all seem good.

"I have nixed all Noodler's inks in large part because of their feel, but also their behavior, etc. When I put Iroshizuku or Sailor ink into my pens, it's like the ink, pen, and paper are having a 3-some with smooth 'n sultry 70's jazz playing in the background." ~ Betweenthelines

From the main page of the listing, click on the vendors name. That will take you to the vendors page, and on the right It will show the listings for the Last 30, 90, 365 and life time ratings. Under that you can see the comments by buyers.

- Jack London

From the main page of the listing, click on the vendors name. That will take you to the vendors page, and on the right It will show the listings for the Last 30, 90, 365 and life time ratings. Under that you can see the comments by buyers.

I guess I was looking at the right thing. The first vendor has 97% positive in the last 30 days and 96% for lifetime. The second 88%, 94% and the third 50%, 89%. Save maybe the last vendor, everything seems okay.

Lifetime is irrelevant to me. I am primarily interested in the last 30 and 90 days. If the rating was better prior to that, I try to make sense of what happened recently to bring down their ratings. There are usually clues in the narrative comments for the last 30 to 90 days. I gennerally will nott bur from a vendor with less than a 96 percent positive rating.

I agree that the first vendor looks okay, but 88 percent is suspect for the second one, despite the higher lifetime rating. I would run away from it and the last one unless and until they show consistently higher ratings of 96 or better. Others may be willing to take more risk, of course.

- Jack London

These are good prices and inline with what you can expect from Rakuten vendors.

I usually also check out amazon.co.jp and have Chrome autotranslate everything it can.

Makes you wonder why we are paying such a high premium when they are marketed in Japan much lower and still make a good profit (then again : there they have to compete with the excellent Japanese pens).

The minute the Stresemann shows up on Amazon Japan (for something other than Y147,000 last I checked :o) is the minute I sign up for a buying service that purchases locally, takes a fee and forwards me the pen.

Here, here, I second that. Well said Katerchen!

I would also add that there are now, fakes of the Chinese Fakes out there. That's what makes forums like this so valuable to honest pen buyers...

It's not enough to beware. You have to be educated and know your product, know the market you're playing in, and even a little about currencies.

You're not done with your homework yet. Keep at it and you may end up with some nice pens. Good luck, keep us posted.

You have to be careful when looking for the best deal. If you purchase a pen new and the seller is not an authorized Pelikan retailer, you will not be eligible for any of the manufacturer's warranty service. That can be a big trade off sometimes that makes the price difference not worth it.

PELIKAN - Too many birds in the flock to count. My pen chest has proven to be a most fertile breeding ground.

fpn_1508261203__fpn_logo_300x150.jpg

THE PELIKAN'S PERCH - A growing reference site for all things Pelikan

And what about the "Suberen". There should be no mistake!

I believe that's the Japanese/katakana-nasation version of "Souverän", スーベレーン

Anybody have some insight into the Pelikan "Suberen". Are they making Pelikans in Japan these days?

I saw an ad on Amazon for these, they are offering really low prices. I'm always afraid of Chinese fakes when pens come from Asia with a name switch.

Has anyone bought one of these?

You can also have a look at the crazy prices at amazon.de. There are some sellers with very good ratings.

Well, my new M805 blue black silver was sold by Amazon(.de) themselves for 291 € (about 330 $) - of course I am in Germany.

One thing to note, though: a few buyers have complained about the fact that the pen came in a flimsy cardboard box just big enough to hold the pen, no present box, no manual. I don't mind but was still somewhat surprised when that was indeed how my pen arrived.

Edited by Andreas Weber

the cat half awake

and half sleeping on the book

"Quantum Mechanics"

(inspired by a German haiku by Tony Böhle)

Well, my new M805 blue black silver was sold by Amazon(.de) themselves for 291 € (about 330 $) - of course I am in Germany.

One thing to note, though: a few buyers have complained about the fact that the pen came in a flimsy cardboard box just big enough to hold the pen, no present box, no manual. I don't mind but was still somewhat surprised when that was indeed how my pen arrived.

+1 I have bought most of my German Fps (Pelikan, Lamy, Faber Castell ) on Amazon.de, sent to France, and their prices have always been very competitive!

+1 I have bought most of my German Fps (Pelikan, Lamy, Faber Castell ) on Amazon.de, sent to France, and their prices have always been very competitive!

Do they ship everywhere in the EU? (What about outside & reclaiming the VAT?)

Thanks

-k

Thanks for the confirmation Andreas.

AFAIK, Pelikan also does a direct distribution in small cardboard boxes, so that the cost of gift packaging, the pouch etc, along with prints are essentially eliminated. So my dealer offers a significantly lower price without the fancy packaging.

Best,

Sonik

You have come to earth to entertain and to be entertained - P.Y

Some Pen & Paraphernalia Reviews

AFAIK, Pelikan also does a direct distribution in small cardboard boxes, so that the cost of gift packaging, the pouch etc, along with prints are essentially eliminated. So my dealer offers a significantly lower price without the fancy packaging.

Yep, I'm pretty sure that kit was meant for a dealers storage shelves:

http://www.zauber-allenthalben.de/img/s1/v54/p1436425157-4.jpg

One point of the complaints, which I can confirm as well, is that Amazon.de throws that box together with whatever heavy objects you may have ordered at the same time. Still a gorgeous pen at a good price.

(Btw., Amazon.de is funny about values: I once had - among a few other things - a Rhodia pad and a stub nib section for a Waterman Carene in the same order. These two pieces arrived each in a shipment of their own, the nib section as a letter, the pad as DHL parcel ...)

the cat half awake

and half sleeping on the book

"Quantum Mechanics"

(inspired by a German haiku by Tony Böhle)

Here in the States just like OP. I was just shopping around for my first M805 a few days ago. I looked into a bunch of the retail options mentioned in this thread, but after reading a lot online, I decided it wasn't worth saving a few bucks by buying the pen overseas with the risk of running into a bad seller. I ended up getting a great deal on a used M805, can't wait for it to show up here tomorrow. :)

Edited by itsallkg